1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

TacomaCare for 2012 - Oil change every 5k, not 10k

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Hychet, May 1, 2012.

1. May 1, 2012 at 5:48 PM
    Hychet

Hychet [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '12 Tacoma Access SR5 - Pyrate Mica - 4X4
    Hava a 2012 access cab - 4 cylinder 4X4. Taking advantage of TacomaCare - had to fight tooth and nail to have the oil change/filter included in my initial (5k) visit. Service rep (NYC, NY) said oil changes were only every 10k - I showed him the owners manual which clearly states every 5 k, even for synthetic. Still, he said the manual was wrong and ALL Toyotas using synth oil was every 10K. Finally, after much crabiness on my part, he went to the boss who agreed with me - turns out the 2012 Tacoma is the ONLY Toyota that requires a change every 5k. Glad I stuck to my guns, cause I almost believed the first guy. I know it's probably safe to go 10k between changes but my feeling is if Toyota recommends every 5k, then ToyotaCare should cover it which they eventually did.

Toyota's own website specifies every 5K:

http://www.toyota.com/owners/web/pages/resources/maintenance/synthetic-motor-oil

2. May 1, 2012 at 7:24 PM
    Johns Taco

Johns Taco I'm not 4x4, and have an open diff. So i'm 4x1

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    05 DSM Base SR5 Slug Taco
    Full custom stereo, onboard air compressor, train horns, spacer lift, 30" tires, optima yellow top, rear slider window & tailgate anti-theft mod, pop & lock, class 3 tow hitch, lights in bed, Ultra Gauge, Weather Tech mats, yellow fog lights, camper top, air lift rear airbags, rear diff breather mod, soon to be more...
    Yeah it's messed up, working at the dealership I see this on a regular basis. They should call it Toyata Extra Neglect, not Toyota Extra Care. My oil gets changed every 3k, and always will.

3. May 2, 2012 at 4:33 AM
    jeepinoutwest

jeepinoutwest Well-Known Member

Member:
    I have a 2012 as well, and I while I haven't needed an oil change yet (210 miles) I have already had this discussion with the dealer who finally agreed to every 5k. However, DO I TRUST THE DEALER TO CHANGE IT WITH SYNTHETIC? First of all, I would mark the oil filter to make sure they change that, but there is really no way for me to insure that they did not use dino oil! I sure many dealers use dino, charge for synthetic, and rip off the consumer. Is it really worth the 4 free oil changes? Do you think the dealer would give me six quarts synthetic and a filter every 5000 miles so I can do it myself? Id love to hear from someone who's worked there.

4. May 2, 2012 at 8:10 AM
    Hychet

Hychet [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I could see that they changed the filter - not sure if you can look at the dip stick to see if it's regular oil or synthetic. Will change it myself eventually - not sure it's worth it all! Though free tire rotation is nice ...

5. May 6, 2012 at 11:13 AM
    Glocker23

Glocker23 Rubber Side Down

Member:
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB Sport
    Debadged, Emergency response lights, Tonneau cover, Grillcraft MX grill, OKLED 20" light bar in grill
    I am going to see them Friday and will argue this. What page in the manual did u find it. I just picked up my 2012 yesterday and love it. But when they said 10k miles I lost it. That's just dumb. BTW. My dealership said lifetime oil changes as long as i own the car. Score.

6. May 6, 2012 at 11:49 AM
    cintocrunch

cintocrunch Special Substitute Guest Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    MD
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB TRD Sport MGM 6MT
    Anytime fogs, Leer Tonneau
    I have had no issues with the dealer changing the oil at 5k in my '12 4.0. I honestly don't care if they change the filter or use dino oil since they offer a lifetime engine warranty with very few stipulations (I read the fine print, it tells me I have to follow the engines factory maintenance schedule with them or prove I did it on my own)...

7. May 7, 2012 at 6:59 PM
    Hychet

Hychet [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Don't have my manual nearby, but it's in the skinnier (separate) "service" manual rather than "owner's" manual....

8. May 7, 2012 at 7:03 PM
    TenBeers

TenBeers Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Wildwood, MO
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB TRD Off Road Magnetic Gray
    Factory Roof Rack, Westin Tube Steps, AVS Bugflector and Wind Deflectors, RideRite Air Bags, Custom Bed Rack, CVT Roof-Top Tent, Weathertech Floor Mats, Redline Hood Supports, Pop-N-Lock Tailgate Lock, some stickers
    I'm just going to let them rotate the tires and give me an oil filter, and I will do it myself. I figure as long as they have my vehicle in there, they can charge the home office for the service time and everyone is happy.

9. May 7, 2012 at 8:46 PM
    TS1980

TS1980 Glocking Tall

Member:
    South Florida
    Vehicle:
    2014 Ram 1500 5.7L
    Had this issue last week with my first oil change on my 2012 V6 (5k). The lady who set up the appointment said your truck has synthetic oil and needs to be changed at 10k. On the ToyotaCare paperwork it says "conventional oil" and states it needs to be changed at 5k, along with a tire rotation. My service adviser told the tech to change the oil. Now I have no idea if he used dino or synthetic but he did change it I could see the whole process. He did tell me that the 4 banger calls for full synthetic every 5k. Go figure.

10. May 8, 2012 at 7:36 AM
    Glocker23

Member:
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB Sport
    Debadged, Emergency response lights, Tonneau cover, Grillcraft MX grill, OKLED 20" light bar in grill
    I was at dealer yesterday and they want me to come in every 5k miles for conventional oil change. No synthetic. If i wanted synthetic they woukd make it 10k miles. 5k miles on conventional oil freaks me out. Is it just me or am I still old school. Also they don't do oil change for a break in period. Motor break in should be like 1k miles. I am going to get the oil changed myself for piece of mind at 1k miles. Then do dealer changes as they see fit.

11. May 8, 2012 at 9:07 AM
    Chris(NJ)

Chris(NJ) Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Usually in Central Jersey
    Vehicle:
    08 Indigo 4x4 DC OR
    Debadged, GC Mesh Grill, Yellow Fogs, Color Matched Headlights w/ Retros, Diff Breather Mod; mickey thompson classic IIs, 5100s, toytec springs, Dakar Leaf pack, ss brake lines, Lots more...just check the build page.
    You're still old school.

I change the gf's oil (using conventional) every 5-6k. No problems at all.

Mine, I do around 8k using synthetic. Until my oil analysis comes back stating otherwise, I see no reason to go that long or even longer.

12. May 8, 2012 at 9:26 AM
    Glocker23

Member:
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB Sport
    How about the break in time. Should I do it early or allow Toyota to handle it all.

13. May 8, 2012 at 1:33 PM
    Chris(NJ)

Chris(NJ) Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Usually in Central Jersey
    Vehicle:
    08 Indigo 4x4 DC OR
    Debadged, GC Mesh Grill, Yellow Fogs, Color Matched Headlights w/ Retros, Diff Breather Mod; mickey thompson classic IIs, 5100s, toytec springs, Dakar Leaf pack, ss brake lines, Lots more...just check the build page.
    Thats a call you have to make. If you're comfortable doing it yourself, go for it. Personally, even if Toyota offered me free oil changes, I would still do it myself. Its not worth the time that it takes for me to get to the dealer; nor is waiting for the truck and dealing w/ their shady practices.

14. May 8, 2012 at 1:47 PM
    lickem66

lickem66 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    12 V6 DCSB 4x4 Sport 6MT
    Ride-Rites, OE tubes, Tri-Fold tonneau, extra bed D-rings, OE bedmat, center console organizer, rearview mirror bracket re-locate.
    I mark my tires too because I have had several places where I had free tire rotations, do nothing. I would show them the marks I left on the tires and they would start with the "Sorry, sorry, the tech must of forgot" lines.

15. May 8, 2012 at 2:15 PM
    Doc Foster

Doc Foster Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Doc Foster
    Fredneck, MD
    Vehicle:
    2012 4X4 DC/LB Sport
    Slightly taller 265/70/17 ARE Z series cap.
    I went in for my first oil change, tire rotation, etc. last week. I only had 2,870 miles on it, but it was 6 months since purchase as this is not my DD. They didn't even blink, said no problem. (I did mark my filters and tires - paranoid from reading stuff on this forum. Everything was changed and rotated).
    So far so good, but as soon as the free stuff ends, I will do my own. Hard to turn down free oil, filter, etc. in this economy.

16. May 8, 2012 at 6:19 PM
    Glocker23

Member:
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB Sport
    :amen:

17. May 8, 2012 at 6:27 PM
    FarmBoyTaco

FarmBoyTaco Work Hard, Stay Humble

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    '12 TRD Off-Road DCSB MGM
    The man who sold me my truck told me to bring my truck in every 5k.

18. May 15, 2012 at 1:52 AM
    tractng

tractng Well-Known Member

Member:
    I am hitting the 4k mark. So the free oil change from the dealer is conventional oil?

I am still undecided if it is my worth my time with the dealership (waiting time, argument, etc).

I once brought in my 350z back in the days for its first oil change. Left the dealership with a hole hitch on my bumper. Luckily I caught it before leaving the lot :(

19. May 15, 2012 at 4:07 AM
    elmo7

elmo7 Easily Replaceable Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    07 DC TRD OR 4x4
    If you are freaked out by the oil change interval, just do an analysis. Nothing better than knowing.

20. May 15, 2012 at 4:36 AM
    Tacologist

Tacologist Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Tenessee
    Vehicle:
    05 Double Cab Shortbed
    Rear leaf suspension. Home done tailgate re-inforcement.
To Top