1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tacomas can really take a hit.

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by BREAK, Oct 1, 2011.

1. Oct 2, 2011 at 11:51 AM
    RJALLDAY702

RJALLDAY702 U MAD? OH U MAD

Member:
    First Name:
    RJ
    Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    2014 Toyota 4Runner
    6" Ruff Country DBL
    Hmm, did the ribs taste good?

hehehehe

2. Oct 2, 2011 at 11:57 AM
    Hook & Ladder

Hook & Ladder Well-Known Member

Member:
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    16' TRD Tacoma
    The project @c4_fabrication-Sliders, HC bumper w/ swing out @kb_voodoo_fabrications-Bed rack @tepuitents-RTT @cali_raised_led-Fogs, ditch lights, bed stiffeners @prinsudesign-Roof rack @kingshocks-2.5 with adjuster @totalchaosfabrication-UCA @rcioffroad-diff skid plate Follow at @wicked_overland #nacrew
    nice to see your ok, thats one reason why i got mine, Being a firefighter i have seen Tacomas drive through building and have no more then sone paint and light body damage. greta trucks !

3. Oct 2, 2011 at 12:09 PM
    TMW

TMW Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Bakersfield, CA
    Vehicle:
    04 Tacoma 4x4 SR5
    Light bar and bumper guard, 3/16 steel skid plates for engine, tranny and transfer box, OME 881 springs with 5100 shocks at mid clip. AAL in rear. Positraction rear diff.
    Glad you and everyone are OK. When you get the truck back after repairs spend some time really going over the truck and make sure everything, little or big, works. For example at night with the headlights on use the turn signals and make left and right turns. Listen for any little sound that doesn't seem right. In 2003 our work truck crashed into a tree coming down a mountain road and it too had $13,000 in damage. After repairs it had several little things that didn't work all the time like the headlights going off when the left turn signal was on, but not all the time. It drove us crazy. But is was a Dodge not as Toyota.

4. Oct 2, 2011 at 12:34 PM
    BrettBretterson

BrettBretterson Wild Ginger

Member:
    Bothell, WA
    Vehicle:
    06 DCSB TRD OR 4x4
    5100's
    OP, it's called Diminished Value. I have a family member that is an independent insurance adjuster and specializes in it, and also happens to even live in your area. PM me for contact info if you're interested.

5. Oct 2, 2011 at 1:28 PM
    SevenMaryThree

SevenMaryThree Member

Member:
    AZ
    That's a crock of steaming crap. My last insurance pulled the same thing on me when I rolled my 2004 Tundra Double Cab in 2007. After three years of problems popping up I dumped it. Your truck will never be the same. I would fight them to total it or see if you can get a check for diminished value.

Besides, that $13K original estimate is going to end up being closer to $16-17K by the time it's all done, and that will have put it into 'salvage' territory.

6. Oct 2, 2011 at 6:00 PM
    Ivan

Ivan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ivan
    Western Mass
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma, 4x4 + SR5
    Thats crazy, I would demand more, I mean the bill to repair this basically totaled car is gonnna be around 13k, and who knows, you might have some kinda frame problems for ever, I hope you just get a check for a new truck...Wishin you luck!

7. Oct 2, 2011 at 6:06 PM
    fletch aka

fletch aka www.BeLikeBrit.org

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Left Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Magnetic Gray TRD OffRoad
    TRD cat back exhaust, TRD Cold Air Intake, differential breather mod' Hellwig rear sway bar, 16x8 TRD Ivan Stewart's, Michelin LTX A/T2, DTRL Stealth Mode Mod, custom "Texas Edition" shift knob, Sock's "Classic" bedside decals, MetalMiller custom grill emblem, 20% front tinted windows, tinted taillights, Viper alarm, ScanGauge II, Flyzeye Designs V2W Tacoma Interior LED lighting, de-mud flapped, de-badged, extra D-rings under bed bolts, WeatherTech ED floor mats, G4 Elite Fold a Cover ,Toyota bed mat, tailgate theft deterrent device and absolutely no plasti-dip!
    My experience with insurance is about 1 week for each thousand dollars.

Glad to hear your OK, good luck with the repair.

8. Oct 2, 2011 at 8:07 PM
    BREAK

BREAK [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRDOR LB
    BFG KO2 265/75R16 Icon Dynamics 2.0 Front Coilovers and rear shocks. Rear AAL Borla Catback exhaust Afe momentum CAI
    Yes the eirbag deployed. And i am really nervous that it won't be the same when I get it back. If so i 'll try and hold out for the new Tacoma in 2013 if they ever decide to put dual vvt-i in it. I would just like to say thanks to everyone that has wished me well. It is very much appreciated.

9. Oct 2, 2011 at 8:15 PM
    AndrewFalk

AndrewFalk Science!

Member:
    The North East
    Vehicle:
    2010 5 speed 5 lug
    :)
    Glad you're OK! That truck should be totaled, no doubt. I'd fight with the insurance company.

10. Oct 2, 2011 at 8:25 PM
    fireturk41

fireturk41 I like to break shit!

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    High Point, NC
    Vehicle:
    280k miles
    SAS, Locked front rear, Ufab sliders and bumpers, air compressor, 35" BFG KM2 on steelies and 36" TSLs
    yeah, id argue with the ins. co. 2 years ago a ford excursion crossed in my lane and hit me head on, it did very little body damage but it completely tore out my ifs and jammed the gears in my differential sideways...

they said all the damage was worth 1000 including labor, when i told them that i got a quote for 6k they claimed it was obsurd and their sources can get stuff cheaper...which was horse crap...

long story short they will try to rip you if they can, dont let them take advantage of you

11. Oct 2, 2011 at 8:26 PM
    Drew5387

Drew5387 You can't fix stupid

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    03 PreRunner SR5 DC Black
    Raptor Style Grill, KC Highlight Spot Beams, 2.5% Window Tint, Kenwood Touchscreen Head Unit, Train Horn, Tinted Tail Lights, Retrofit Source Projectors with Halos, BHLM, LED Fog Lights, 40" LED Light Bar, 33" Cooper STT Tires, Herculined Rocker Panels, 175+ hp in stickers
    I bet it will start right up still!

12. Oct 2, 2011 at 8:33 PM
    nubbs

nubbs Only from the waist down.

Member:
    First Name:
    Reverend
    Fontana, Ca
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner TRD
    3.5" CST Spindle, 5100 Series Bilstien Shocks, 1 1/4" Spidertrax Wheel Spacers, 295/75/16 BFG AT's, EBC Slotted and Dimpled Rotors, EBC Green Stuff Pads, K&N Drop-in, Pioneer Avic-Z110BT GPS Head Unit w/ E-Brake Mod, Ipod Integration, Integrated Pioneer XM Radio Receiver, 6 1/2" Infinity Kappa Separates, 6 1/2" Infinity Kappa Coaxles, Custom Speaker Adapters, PAC Stealth Backup Camera (Because anyone in a double cab knows you can't see the tailgate.)
    Usually airbag deployment alone is enough for them to consider totaling a vehicle. That coupled with all of the damage to the front and the side of your bed should definately constitute a total loss. I would suggest you get a third party adjuster involved.

13. Oct 3, 2011 at 5:31 AM
    Chris135

Chris135 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Regina,Sk
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma DCLB SR5 TRD Sport
    Debadged Bilstein 5100 shocks in front OME 885 coils Icon 1.5"aal 16" fj cruiser Trd rims 285/75/16 duratrac tires 1.25" spidertrax wheelspacers (4) Tinted front windows Grillecraft upper grille Custom Trd boxside decals Allpro front bumper Piaa 510 fog lights Box mounted ammo can Rear diff breather BHLM Tinted front windows Rolltop tonneau cover Hand controls (for wheelchair users)
    Hey I'd just like to give a little input here. Everyone keeps talking about frame damage and ruining your vehicle. And while frame damage is a very reasonable possibility it's not a big deal.

Frames are repairable.

I don't know where the stigma came from that you can't repair a frame. There are certain procedures you have to follow in order to repair a frame. but believe me it happens all the time and 99% of the time(this is a generalization I do not have proof for my number) frames are repairable. And when theyre not and if the vehicle is worth enough, a frame is also replaceable. So you will not have frame damage forever(assuming you don't take it to a half asses shop). Looking at your kind of hit I doubt there's any real reason to worry about major damage, maybe reposition the rail height or somethjng minor. But hey that's what frame machines are for.

Side note, sorry if there's a bunch of spelling mistakes or this is totally incoherent but I'm typing this on my phone at 6:30 in the morning. Also keep us updated

14. Oct 3, 2011 at 5:45 AM
    Chris135

Chris135 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Regina,Sk
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma DCLB SR5 TRD Sport
    Debadged Bilstein 5100 shocks in front OME 885 coils Icon 1.5"aal 16" fj cruiser Trd rims 285/75/16 duratrac tires 1.25" spidertrax wheelspacers (4) Tinted front windows Grillecraft upper grille Custom Trd boxside decals Allpro front bumper Piaa 510 fog lights Box mounted ammo can Rear diff breather BHLM Tinted front windows Rolltop tonneau cover Hand controls (for wheelchair users)
    So I'm not sure what it's like where you live, but here the insurance company makes a claim and the owner takes it to a body shop of their choice. Once here we disassemble the vehicle and find all the "hidden" damage. We make a supplement accordingly and submit the new estimate to the insurance company. They will approve everything we put as long as we show that it was from the accident or it can't be proved otherwise. Quite often a vehicle will come in on a "guarantee" amd after we're done our estimate the repairs go up 5or6 thousand dollars and the car is totaled. Especially with airbags the price skyrockets really quick cause quite often you have to replace one or all of the seatbelts/buckles, airbags, control modules etc. And they're not cheap. I honestly believe the biggest thing is choosing what body shop to go to. They will either put it in as new as condition as before(or sometimes better) or totally hack it up. Of course it's easy for me to say though, we only have 1 insurance company to deal with and we deal with them daily. :D

15. Oct 3, 2011 at 6:56 AM
    SevenMaryThree

SevenMaryThree Member

Member:
    AZ
    What I learned from my Tundra roll over is this - after the crash if the vehicle will still run, put it in neutral and stand on the accelerator until the engine blows up. That way the high value of the Toyotas won't work against you and they will have to total it.

I immediately turned my truck off to prevent a fire. Mistake.

16. Oct 3, 2011 at 7:50 AM
    charles08tacoma

charles08tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 Prerunner SR-5 Access Cab
    White Snug Top shell
    Frame machines are only as good as the person operating it. I've seen many frame repairs where the vehicle is crabbing down the road. It is referred to as side sway. When behind these vehicles, you can see how all 4 wheels don't line up & the vehicle looks like it is canted toward one side.

17. Oct 3, 2011 at 7:54 AM
    AndrewFalk

AndrewFalk Science!

Member:
    The North East
    Vehicle:
    2010 5 speed 5 lug
    :)
    :eek:

18. Oct 3, 2011 at 8:05 AM
    MsTRD

MsTRD hell yes i love my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Samantha
    Rohnert Park, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 White Prerunner TRD Sport
    Glad you are okay! I know first hand how safe these trucks can keep us, after my accident, I wouldn't want to be in another vehicle :)

...and i can't believe thats not totaled!

19. Oct 3, 2011 at 8:14 AM
    jrdbrn

jrdbrn Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    '21 TRD Off Road
    I would argue with the insurance company. I wouldn't want the truck after that much damage to the engine area. Just asking for trouble down the road.

20. Oct 3, 2011 at 8:35 AM
    BREAK

BREAK [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRDOR LB
    BFG KO2 265/75R16 Icon Dynamics 2.0 Front Coilovers and rear shocks. Rear AAL Borla Catback exhaust Afe momentum CAI
    I have USAA for insurance and they gave me the option of picking my own shop to go to. They have a pretty good way of handling things they can give you all the choice or take care of it for you. When i went down to the shop to get the estimate the guy there was really helpful and took me out to my truck (that was already half pulled apart). He showed me all the major stuff that was going to need replacing. Then we went in to look at the estimate which was also very thorough. It had every little bracket and sticker and bolt on it. It also included all the parts for the airbag.

Products Discussed in

To Top