1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tacomas can really take a hit.

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by BREAK, Oct 1, 2011.

1. Oct 3, 2011 at 8:52 AM
    nubbs

nubbs Only from the waist down.

Member:
    First Name:
    Reverend
    Fontana, Ca
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner TRD
    3.5" CST Spindle, 5100 Series Bilstien Shocks, 1 1/4" Spidertrax Wheel Spacers, 295/75/16 BFG AT's, EBC Slotted and Dimpled Rotors, EBC Green Stuff Pads, K&N Drop-in, Pioneer Avic-Z110BT GPS Head Unit w/ E-Brake Mod, Ipod Integration, Integrated Pioneer XM Radio Receiver, 6 1/2" Infinity Kappa Separates, 6 1/2" Infinity Kappa Coaxles, Custom Speaker Adapters, PAC Stealth Backup Camera (Because anyone in a double cab knows you can't see the tailgate.)
    All Tacomas have a rev limiter if I'm not mistaken, which makes blowing up the motor in this fashion next to impossible.

2. Oct 3, 2011 at 8:55 AM
    fireturk41

fireturk41 I like to break shit!

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    High Point, NC
    Vehicle:
    280k miles
    SAS, Locked front rear, Ufab sliders and bumpers, air compressor, 35" BFG KM2 on steelies and 36" TSLs
    an upside down engine can hydro lock pretty easily if not shut off

3. Oct 3, 2011 at 9:02 AM
    slmgt

slmgt Well-Known Member

Member:
    Greater Seattle Area
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD Sport w/ JBL DCLB V6 AT
    Husky floor mats (Fr and Rr)
    You sunk her battleship!

Now her insurance owes you and for that you should shoot for a completely new truck or at worst, a hefty check for diminished value alongside fully warranted repairs

4. Oct 3, 2011 at 9:08 AM
    AK Toy

AK Toy Well-Known Member

Member:
    spider headlights, coustom bumper, tires, paint, CB W/ PA, throttle body spacer, air intake, exhaust
    good to hear your ok.
    was the truck drivable after that? or fire up? hahah

5. Oct 3, 2011 at 9:19 AM
    fbconvert

fbconvert Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Seacoast, NH
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma Double Cab TRD Sport
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I bought this 05 as a totaled vehicle. Granted this one is 4 years older. I would say make sure you have a 3rd party look over your truck after you get it back but I am not surprised it is not totaled. Worst case with the airbag is they will buy one off ebay or some place from a wrecking yard (which is what I did) the price difference is something like $1,200 from dealer to $350 from salvage yard. But even that is not that big of a deal it will still be a like new airbag that was never deployed.

The nice part about the body panels is they are all bolt on including the bed. Just make sure you insist on OEM panels and not the cheap OE kind from China. I used all OEM panels except on my hood and I regret that. It is a much thinner metal and more susceptible to denting. But as long as the place doesn't cut any corners your truck will be fine. I absolutely love mine, the only thing wrong with it is my less than perfect paint job and my OE hood. Everything mechanical is with in spec and there are not error codes, not even for the airbag system (once I flashed my airbag control computer)

Good luck and keep us posted.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  6. Oct 3, 2011 at 9:27 AM
    Chris135

Chris135 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Regina,Sk
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma DCLB SR5 TRD Sport
    Debadged Bilstein 5100 shocks in front OME 885 coils Icon 1.5"aal 16" fj cruiser Trd rims 285/75/16 duratrac tires 1.25" spidertrax wheelspacers (4) Tinted front windows Grillecraft upper grille Custom Trd boxside decals Allpro front bumper Piaa 510 fog lights Box mounted ammo can Rear diff breather BHLM Tinted front windows Rolltop tonneau cover Hand controls (for wheelchair users)
    I agree 100% and that's why it's crucial when deciding where to take your truck for repairs. The best equipment won't do any good if the technician doesn't know how to use it.

7. Oct 3, 2011 at 9:44 AM
    Boerseun

Boerseun Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ferdie
    Sarasota, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra TRD Sport 4x4
    Upgraded 2002 Tacoma to 2018 Tundra
    It sounds like you are off to a good start, but I would suggest pressing for deminished value payment. Even if they fix the truck perfectly, you will always know that it was in an accident and having some type of compensation for this will make it easier to live with.

8. Oct 3, 2011 at 10:30 AM
    BREAK

BREAK [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRDOR LB
    BFG KO2 265/75R16 Icon Dynamics 2.0 Front Coilovers and rear shocks. Rear AAL Borla Catback exhaust Afe momentum CAI
    so how will this end up on carfax? the collision center said theat its voluntary to report it and they dont do it since they didnt total the truck. Maybe the insurance company? i know that the dealerships do it for maintenance cause it looks good when a buyer asks for the carfax and it show this nice periodic maintenance.

9. Oct 3, 2011 at 11:01 AM
    jrdbrn

jrdbrn Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    '21 TRD Off Road
    Insurance reports it.

10. Oct 3, 2011 at 11:04 AM
    BrettBretterson

BrettBretterson Wild Ginger

Member:
    Bothell, WA
    Vehicle:
    06 DCSB TRD OR 4x4
    5100's
    Insurance companies generally don't report accidents to Carfax, as that works against them. Police reports will get reported to Carfax, I assume your accident involved a police report?

11. Oct 3, 2011 at 11:12 AM
    BrettBretterson

BrettBretterson Wild Ginger

Member:
    Bothell, WA
    Vehicle:
    06 DCSB TRD OR 4x4
    5100's
    I also have USAA, and they are amazing to deal with.

They should have told you this, but one thing to keep in mind if it does get repaired: You can choose any repair shop you want, but if it isn't a USAA preferred shop, USAA will not warranty the repair work for you. If you choose your own shop, any issues you have, will have to be dealt with directly between you and the shop. If you use a USAA preferred shop, USAA will continue to handle any issues you have after the repair.

12. Oct 3, 2011 at 1:35 PM
    BREAK

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRDOR LB
    BFG KO2 265/75R16 Icon Dynamics 2.0 Front Coilovers and rear shocks. Rear AAL Borla Catback exhaust Afe momentum CAI
    talked to the other party's insurance awhile ago. Theyre hooking me up with a rental car. Enterprise asked if i wanted a truck car or suv. So i told them truck of course. But all they had was a full size dodge, but its covered so i'll deal with it. The insurance company also asked if i was okay and if there were any medical bills they needed to cover. told i was okay, i went to my urgent care center on base and said just some bumps, bruises and soreness. So they agent said bumps and bruises huh? how about a thousand bucks? so after i get checked out by my primary care doctor, sure i guess. even though the agent work for state farm he admitted he had the same insurance as i did.

13. Oct 3, 2011 at 2:06 PM
    Kodachrome

Kodachrome Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2005 Taco, 2021 Audi eTron GT
    TRD S/C, URD Galore
    One of the main reasons why in March of 2005 I went with a second generation Tacoma over the 04' was the improved front crash rating, the other was the small price difference between low miles on an 04' and new 05'.

When I see people putting on 130+ pound steel plate bumpers on these trucks, I just cringe because of what it could possibly do to you or worse, the other driver. That is why I am having Aluminess build me pretty much a custom aluminum front bumper with this in consideration. All I need or want is an improved approach angle, not some redneck plate steel crap endangering other drivers, my self or hosing the crumple zone on the truck.

The new bumper is still going to change the crumple zone dynamics a fair amount, but not nearly as much as some steel junk..

Glad you are OK...it's a dangerous world out on the roads, no doubt.

14. Oct 3, 2011 at 2:22 PM
    BREAK

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRDOR LB
    @ kodachrome
    glad you said that cause at one point i was considering an aftermarket bumper. Glad i didnt now

15. Oct 3, 2011 at 2:31 PM
    Kodachrome

Kodachrome Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2005 Taco, 2021 Audi eTron GT
    TRD S/C, URD Galore
    It's a tough call in some cases. Obviously the steel one will protect you and the truck in some cases like hitting deer or larger game if it does not come over the hood, but in the case of your collision, you could have had a neck injury or killed the driver if it hit in a different location on their car.

Lawyers look for things like aftermarket bumpers that change the vehicle's crash profile when going into manslaughter cases. My sister fell asleep at the wheel of her Volvo in 2003 and was t-boned by a suburban with an ARB. She almost died, her face went through 6 re-contruction surgeries and she is still not the same. The investigating officer said that it would have been very different if the truck had a stock bumper and crumpled the way GM had designed it.

16. Oct 3, 2011 at 2:53 PM
    BREAK

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRDOR LB
    well from what the accident report and the state trooper said the people in the other car are lucky to be alive now. So if i had the bigger bumper it could have been worse. Here is the article about the accident and a picture of the other vehicle.
    http://www.pnwlocalnews.com/whidbey/wnt/news/130659263.html

17. Oct 3, 2011 at 6:15 PM
    VanCity4x

VanCity4x Well-Known Member

Member:
    AB
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma
    3link on tons
    I know that area, I have a friend just outside Coupeville. Subaru took a good hit. Good to hear nobody seriously hurt.

18. Oct 3, 2011 at 6:29 PM
    ShaneG

ShaneG Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shane
    Jacksonville, FL
    Vehicle:
    11 Prerunner SR5
    Offered that up awful quick, didn't they? There's a reason for that. Once you accept that thousand bucks, you will be required to sign a document stating that you release them from any further liability later on down the road. Pretty smart on their part, figuring that a handful full of folks may be tempted by friends/family to sue them for pain and suffering.

19. Oct 3, 2011 at 7:07 PM
    AndrewFalk

AndrewFalk Science!

Member:
    The North East
    Vehicle:
    2010 5 speed 5 lug
    :)
    I wouldn't say smart...but I would say shady.

20. Oct 3, 2011 at 7:27 PM
    84Hilux

84Hilux Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Vancouver, Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 Access Cab V6 4X4
    Stock Fog Lights, Camera Mirror, Arrow Canopy, Lighted 4x4switch, Weathertech Mats (Black), Wet Okoles- Black/Charcoal, Alpine CDA117 Headunit/ Alpine PDX4150 Amp/Alpine PDX M6 Amp/ Hybrid Legatia SE Components/ JL 10W6V2 Subwoofer/ Prototype MR Marv Sub Enclosure
    I had my 2007 TRD written off in a rear end collsion. The key was that I had replacement value insurance which required the use of factory parts for repair. The repair estimate skyrockets quickly when using Toyota parts. I am guessing the 13K estimate is for aftermarket parts. In my case, the estimator stopped calculating when he hit 25K.

Glad you are OK- don't sign off on your health until you have made sure you don't have late onset injuries. In my case, my mid back froze up like a brick about a week after the accident. I did not notice it was sore at the time because I had much sharper pain in my gearshift hand and clutch foot. Now, a year and a half later, I still get numbness in my hands from pinched nerves in my mid back.

Products Discussed in

To Top