1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tacoma's in severe weather

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by 2004TacomaSR5, Sep 14, 2011.

1. Sep 20, 2011 at 4:01 PM
    ChamYota

ChamYota Crash Bandicoot Or Groot AKA Cham "Scottalot" Yota

Member:
    First Name:
    Cam
    Columbia,South Cakalacky
    Vehicle:
    05' Taco 4x4 swapped/ 2007 Toyota Land Cruiser
    H1 Morimoto projector with XB35 4300K bulbs with Mini-gatling gun shrouds, BHLM. Debadged,OEM roof rack,TW sticker,Sockmonkey Beside decals,265/70/16 Nitto terra grapplers with dick cepek DC'2 wheels,weathertech floor liners(front/back),USA Spec Ipod reader,Scanguage II,Bestop Supertopper and more in the works...
    :pout:

South Carolina gets like NO SNOW ONLY ICE. :( not fun.

We did have a snowstorm about 2 years ago. My 2nd time seeing actual snow on the ground,substantial amounts anyway.

2. Sep 20, 2011 at 4:17 PM
    BlueTaco07

BlueTaco07 Super Mod!

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Panama city, Florida
    Vehicle:
    Looking
    My sig was right before tropical storm Lee hit. To lazy to expand it.

3. Sep 20, 2011 at 5:56 PM
    derekabraham

derekabraham Living vicariously through everybody

Member:
    First Name:
    TW'S Hippy Liberal
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2002 4x4 4Runner
    Stick on hood scoop from Autozone.
    Here's my little "severe" weather story. Happened in late February.

I wish I could've gotten more pictures of this!!!

[​IMG]

So I went up to Big Bear today. There was a pretty nice little storm and there were the idiots with two wheel drive who didn't chain up and were creating HUGE problems and having accidents. A huge clusterfuck happened at the 18/330 interchange in Running Springs. There were probably 7 or 8 cars that spun out and hit each other. The traffic going up the onramp to the 18 had to stop because there was nowhere to go. A CHP officer had to come up the onramp to get to the accident scene to try to get the traffic moving again. It was at a dead stop for around an hour. Anyways, the officer is trying to go up the onramp so everybody had to move over for him. Of course, the "Eyewitness News" (channel 7, ABC) van didn't chain up and was blocking the onramp because he couldn't get his tires to gain any traction and just sat there spinning his tires. 4Runner to the rescue! :D

Luckily I was right in front of him and had my strap with me. So I pulled this giant Ford news van UP an icy, snowy hill in 4Lo (no chains). WIN.

This is what the van looked like:
    [​IMG]

I LOVE having four wheel drive. It's amazing. I felt good knowing I helped alleviate a potentially (more) dangerous situation. :)

And here's the story they shot just before I pulled them out. :devil:

http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?se...her&id=7968401

4. Sep 21, 2011 at 6:34 AM
    macgyver

macgyver Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Canton, GA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Tundra double cab SR5 4x4
    Whenever it snows here in Atlanta (which is mass chaos btw) I usually leave for work about an hour earlier and try to help people out. I usually just leave the tow strap connected to the shackle.

I pulled countless people out last year. No one around here buys 4x4 vehicles so it's hilarious watching people. We tend to get more ice around here so it's like watching a saturday afternoon public ice skating session at the local ice rink except with cars sliding everywhere.

I pulled this guy in volvo up a hill last winter that had been spinning his tires so much on the ice it actually smelled like burnt rubber. I connected the strap to him and actually had to go up the hill in the opposite lane of traffic to keep him from sliding off the road and down the bank. When we got to the top of the hill onto some pavement I hear this louch screeching all of a sudden. The Dumbass left his e-brake on the whole time I was pulling him up the hill!

5. Sep 21, 2011 at 9:17 AM
    HEAVY WT

HEAVY WT Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    LA
    Vehicle:
    16 T4R TEP
    All this snow makes me wish I didn't live in FL...call me crazy, but I miss winter and true seasons!

6. Sep 21, 2011 at 5:41 PM
    TacoDawgfan

TacoDawgfan Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2011 Silver 4x4 TRD Sport w/JBL
    5100's at 1.75, Rear leaf TSB, Moto Metal 951 16x8, BFG TKO2 265/75/16, AFe Stage 2 CAI w/pro dry filter, Kenwood DDX374BT installed with Idatalink Maestro kit, Access Loredo tonneau cover, N-Fab steps, Tinted windows, EGR in channel vent visors, UGA drink coasters in the front cup holders, and a Graco car seat in the back seat
    I've wanted another 4x4 for a while now. Now that I have it I'm afraid to get it out on the roads around here if it snows or ices up. :eek: Not because of my driving, but all the idiots on the roads around here. Not saying I'm the best driver in it by any means, but seems like every time I do get out in bad weather around here every one wants to ride my a$$ like it's a clear summer day. :rolleyes:

7. Sep 21, 2011 at 6:14 PM
    derekp

derekp giddy up!

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Grand Forks, ND
    Vehicle:
    2001 X-Cab 4x4 TRD V6 5Spd
    Deck plate, Flowmaster Delta-Flow 40 series, 265/75-16 Wrangler TDs, more to come...
    You can see the tip of my windshield wiper in this pick:
    [​IMG]

This shows how windy it got after it snowed. Kind of cool effect on the snow.
    [​IMG]

8. Sep 21, 2011 at 6:53 PM
    Tigahshark

Tigahshark Senior NEWBIE

Member:
    First Name:
    Isaac
    On a volcano, literally!
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD off road 4X4
    Tint Weathertech floor liner, weathertech window visor Roll n lock tonneau cover Rubber bed mat Smoked license plate covers
    WOW, what do you guys do if you have to drive somewhere?:eek: just clear the window and the rest falls off?

Looks like your truck in the first pic is trying to get himself out like how chickens get out of a shell when they are born, with their beaks and break a little hole first and work from their!

9. Sep 21, 2011 at 7:06 PM
    derekabraham

derekabraham Living vicariously through everybody

Member:
    First Name:
    TW'S Hippy Liberal
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2002 4x4 4Runner
    Stick on hood scoop from Autozone.
    I try to get as much snow off the vehicle as possible. I hate when people drive away with a ton of snow on the roof of their vehicles and it flies off and hits your car. I lost a fog light because of that. :rolleyes:

10. Sep 21, 2011 at 7:08 PM
    TacoMX

TacoMX TW's Official anti body-lift pundit

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Deltona, Florida
    next time we have a hurricane or tropical storm here in FL, I will get some pics :D

11. Sep 21, 2011 at 7:11 PM
    Tigahshark

Tigahshark Senior NEWBIE

Member:
    First Name:
    Isaac
    On a volcano, literally!
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD off road 4X4
    Tint Weathertech floor liner, weathertech window visor Roll n lock tonneau cover Rubber bed mat Smoked license plate covers
    Give you guys credit for dealing with that all the time cause i couldn't:eek:!

12. Sep 21, 2011 at 7:13 PM
    fletch aka

fletch aka www.BeLikeBrit.org

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Left Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Magnetic Gray TRD OffRoad
    TRD cat back exhaust, TRD Cold Air Intake, differential breather mod' Hellwig rear sway bar, 16x8 TRD Ivan Stewart's, Michelin LTX A/T2, DTRL Stealth Mode Mod, custom "Texas Edition" shift knob, Sock's "Classic" bedside decals, MetalMiller custom grill emblem, 20% front tinted windows, tinted taillights, Viper alarm, ScanGauge II, Flyzeye Designs V2W Tacoma Interior LED lighting, de-mud flapped, de-badged, extra D-rings under bed bolts, WeatherTech ED floor mats, G4 Elite Fold a Cover ,Toyota bed mat, tailgate theft deterrent device and absolutely no plasti-dip!
  13. Sep 21, 2011 at 7:15 PM
    Tigahshark

Tigahshark Senior NEWBIE

Member:
    First Name:
    Isaac
    On a volcano, literally!
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD off road 4X4
    Woa! im assuming you cant get out of that one, or if you did it would take couple hours?

14. Sep 21, 2011 at 7:15 PM
    jjw1

jjw1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Citrus County Florida
    Vehicle:
    2011 Super White DCSB TRD OR PreRunner
    Weather Tech Floor Liners, Truxedo Bed Cover, OEM Silver Step Bars, Debadged, Colormatched Satoshi, Wet Okoles, OEM Roof Rack, Bed Mat, Locking Gas Cap, and removed Mud Flaps
    sub'd

15. Sep 21, 2011 at 7:17 PM
    crazyengineer

crazyengineer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    patrick
    Bristol, TN
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma SR5 TRD Offroad
    K&N Cold Air Intake, Warn Winch and Bumper Guard, Wet Okole Seat Covers, Undercover Bed Cover, TRD Kenwood Head Unit, Infiniti Speakers, JL 13.5 inch pancake sub
    I'm assuming you were getting towed on snow skis?.........i know so many people who would try that

16. Sep 21, 2011 at 7:24 PM
    colinb17

colinb17 If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...
    i was driving and towing my younger brother. you can see the tow line in the last picture dragging along the ground. it was good fun.

old video of it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7d5SUYY2wU

17. Sep 21, 2011 at 7:29 PM
    Tigahshark

Tigahshark Senior NEWBIE

Member:
    First Name:
    Isaac
    On a volcano, literally!
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD off road 4X4
    Hey that looks hella fun:eek:

18. Sep 21, 2011 at 7:34 PM
    colinb17

colinb17 If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...
    very fun. you run out of normal stuff to do when nothing is open for and week and a half.

19. Sep 21, 2011 at 7:36 PM
    vprgts

vprgts Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Walter
    Centreville, VA
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma Sport TRD 4x4 DC LB
    265/70/17 BF Goodrich K02, OEM 17" 4Runner Trail Wheels, Bilstein 5100's, OME 887 coils, single Deaver rear AAL, Plasti dipped black front bumper cover and badges. TRD pro grill, trd auto shift knob, truxport roll up bed cover, painted red front calipers, tinted front windows, vital 2-way auto remote start. Hood scoop LED light bar. Bumper Auxbeem 32” LED light bar with Caliraised brackets. Infinity reference speaker upgrade with dynomat. 1.25 spidertrax wheel spacers. Supernova V.4 LED low beam H11 bulbs.
    Dug up some old pix's of my 2007 Tacoma Trd Access Cab from blizzard 09. Think we got hit with 3-5 feet of snow in about a months time. She was all stock...yet completely unstoppable!! Hope we get that kind of snow this year so I can try out my new truck =)

snow2.jpg
    snow1.jpg
    snow.jpg

20. Sep 21, 2011 at 7:43 PM
    AndrewFalk

AndrewFalk Science!

Member:
    The North East
    Vehicle:
    2010 5 speed 5 lug
    :)
    Oh, you Hawaiian's. :p

I wouldn't hesitate to drive my 5 lug through that. :D I was the only one who showed up to work multiple times last winter. I LOVE driving in the snow.

Products Discussed in

To Top