1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

tacomas on the beach

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by fitryders2, Jun 17, 2010.

1. Jun 17, 2010 at 5:00 PM
    fitryders2

fitryders2 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    shawn
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    07 trd sport
    hey guys i have a 07 ext cab tacoma trd sport. its a v6 6spd 4wd. its all stock. yesterday i took it on the beach for the first time. at first it was doing real well then i wanted to test it out a little. when i got into the soft sand it didnt do so well. yes stock tires i know that much. one thing i noticed when i put it in 4wd it was real hard to get goin, it just wanted to stall out unless i revved to about 2500 rpms, any reason why? and also i had wheel hop like crazy? also seemed like the whole drivetrain was moving to much. i dunno why. any info or tips would be great . thanks guys

2. Jun 17, 2010 at 5:06 PM
    bakerla

bakerla Man, Myth, Legend

Member:
    First Name:
    Lyndall
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    '10 4wd OR
    CBI Moab front and CBI Trailrider rear, Budbuilt skids, Shrockworks sliders, OME Dakars w/ OME Nitros, OME 886x w/ OME Nitros, Light Racing UCAs, stainless steel brakelines F/R, Cobra 75 w/ Firestik antenna, 255/85/16 Cooper ST Maxx on 1st gen alloys, Weathertech liners, Engo 9000S winch, stickars and other shit.
    welcome. air down the tires, get rid of the dueller h/t stock tires too. they suck. not sure about 4wd stuff. sometimes soft sand is just too soft to allow for traction. also sounds like you could use new leaf springs in the rear. there is a tsb out for that if you're still under 36,000 miles. otherwise a simple add a leaf will help solve that issue.

3. Jun 17, 2010 at 6:09 PM
    fitryders2

Member:
    First Name:
    shawn
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    07 trd sport
    thanks for the response. i am just out of 36k. but i use to work at a toyota dealership. might be able to pull some strings.

4. Jun 17, 2010 at 6:27 PM
    Caduceus

Caduceus Well-Known Member

Member:
    in the Bluegrass
    Vehicle:
    09 DCSB TRD 4x4
    The other thing I noticed down in OBX is that there's "reddish" colored sand, that for some reason is a LOT softer than the rest. I aired down to 20PSI in my stock tires, kept it in 4HI in 2nd gear, and did fine. But you could really feel when you hit those red sand patches and really start sliding around.

Next time holler before you go down there!

5. Jun 17, 2010 at 7:27 PM
    2gtacoma

2gtacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    H-town
    Vehicle:
    05 -PreRunner sr5
    URD Maf Cal, Airaid intake, Gibson exhaust, Urd short shifter,Trd shift knob, 2.25 lift,Satoshi grill, Trex eyelids
    tires defiantly help. The driver also helps, not saying you dont know how to drive ur truck. But just saying knowing when to haul some ass and when to slow down. Sand is killer if ur rollin slow with ht tires and u will really get stuck in a hurry.

6. Jun 17, 2010 at 7:30 PM
    RelentlessFab

RelentlessFab Eric @Relentless Fab Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Sparks, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 AC 6mt>03 SR5 >08 Sport and 17 6MT TRD OR
    Relentless Armored! Too many others to list.
    Air down and 4wd low will help the starts, as well as switching gears so there isnt as large of a gap. Soft sand just gives a lot of rolling resistance, so those two things will help a lot!

7. Jun 17, 2010 at 7:35 PM
    fitryders2

Member:
    First Name:
    shawn
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    07 trd sport
    yeah ive been wheeling for a little while i had a lifted s10 zr2 before this truck and also a 89 toyota pickup. the pickup was manual and i never had the bogging problem. ive been driving manual vehicles for years now and ive never had any troubles. as far as the sand i was just looking for some feed back on experience and info. but i was mainly curious about having to give it so much gas in 4hi to get it to not stall. and also the wheel hop. i was in corolla, nc and the sand got pretty soft the farther up the beach you went and i guess i was just testing my luck. thanks again for the replies

Products Discussed in

To Top