1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

TacomaWorld Fly Swap

Discussion in 'Boating & Fishing' started by TNDrew, Nov 11, 2012.

1. Nov 11, 2012 at 12:09 PM
    TNDrew

TNDrew [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Chattanooga, TN
    Vehicle:
    '12 Reg Cab 4x4 Silver
    WeatherTech DigitalFit Liners, Bench Seat Angle Fixed, Fog Lights (Nokya 2500k HyperYellow bulbs), aFe ProDry drop in, DeeZee bed mat, UWS black low pro tool box, Marathon Seat Covers (ordered should arrive mid-May). iSimple iPod adapter, Blacked out badges, SockMonkey WhiteTail Toyota Horns decal, LED Dome and License Plate Lights (LEDSolutions), Black Headlight Mod,
    On a lot of Fly fishing forums, as many of you probably have seen, the fly tiers do fly swaps. For those of you who dont know how a fly swap goes, heres an overview (Thanks FlyFshr)...

Fly swaps are an opportunity for tiers to exchange flies, it's usually done on a 1 fly for 1 fly basis. A member will post a thread about a swap with general guidelines including number of tiers and a deadline for when flies need to be in, the original poster is usually called the swapmeister. Once the deadline is set, other members post about their desire to participate and the swapmeister will add them to the list.

Once you are part of a swap you need to tie your flies then mail them to the swapmeister with a couple dollars for return postage, or a self addressed and stamped package, dont stiff the swapmeister. When the swapmesiter recieves all the flies he splits them up so that everyone gets eachothers flies and then sends them off to the participants. As an example, you send in 12 of the same pattern, and if all goes right you should recieve 12 different flies from the other swap participants.

When you mail your flies try to use some sort of crush resistant packaging, a small box, altoids tin, or something along those lines will work great, your box should be re-used by the swapmeister to return your flies so don't send them in just an envelope.

Flies should be toe-tagged with the name of your pattern and your WAFF board screen name so we know who tied what. A toe tag is usually just a small strip of paper that you stick on to each fly over the barb so it wont fall off, if you tie with barbless hooks then tie a small piece of mono on to your fly and tape it to the paper rather then having it slip off the barbless hook.

Anyone can be a swapmeister, but if you choose to run a swap, do it responsibly and keep all the members informed of the status of the swap, ie.. post when you get flies, post a weekly reminder of when the deadline is, and post when you send flies out. Don't be a flake.

12 people - 1 dozen flies each of any variety can be any fly you want no matter the difficulty; a fly you made up, your favorite to tie, favorite to fish, or anything else for that matter. Deadline for getting them to me is Saturday, December 15th. Thats a little over a month and should be plenty of time. Once you get the flies done, PM me and I'll shoot you my address.

With that being said, first 12 people that want in copy and paste the list and add your self and if you know what youll be tying put it on there too. We'll try not to double up on patterns if its possible.

2. Nov 11, 2012 at 12:10 PM
    TNDrew

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Chattanooga, TN
    Vehicle:
    '12 Reg Cab 4x4 Silver
    WeatherTech DigitalFit Liners, Bench Seat Angle Fixed, Fog Lights (Nokya 2500k HyperYellow bulbs), aFe ProDry drop in, DeeZee bed mat, UWS black low pro tool box, Marathon Seat Covers (ordered should arrive mid-May). iSimple iPod adapter, Blacked out badges, SockMonkey WhiteTail Toyota Horns decal, LED Dome and License Plate Lights (LEDSolutions), Black Headlight Mod,
    1. TNDrew
    2. FlyFshr - CDC Prince Nymph
    3. TahoeChris

3. Nov 12, 2012 at 10:56 AM
    FlyFshr

FlyFshr Well-Known Member

Member:
    Eastern WA
    Vehicle:
    13 DC TRD OR
    AVS Bug/Rock Deflector, AVS Window Vent Shades, Clear Bra, Weathertech Digifit Floor Mats, Snugtop Rebel Cap, Tacoma Bed Mat, Firestone Ride-Rite Air Suspension Bags, Map/Dome LEDs, Smittybilt Nerf Bars
    Gotta be some more tiers out there.

4. Nov 12, 2012 at 8:03 PM
    TNDrew

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Chattanooga, TN
    Vehicle:
    '12 Reg Cab 4x4 Silver
    I would have thought so too...

5. Nov 14, 2012 at 8:19 PM
    TNDrew

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Chattanooga, TN
    Vehicle:
    '12 Reg Cab 4x4 Silver
    Oh well. Thought this would be fun. Ill give it till Monday, then call it off.

6. Nov 20, 2012 at 9:34 AM
    FlyFshr

FlyFshr Well-Known Member

Member:
    Eastern WA
    Vehicle:
    13 DC TRD OR
    AVS Bug/Rock Deflector, AVS Window Vent Shades, Clear Bra, Weathertech Digifit Floor Mats, Snugtop Rebel Cap, Tacoma Bed Mat, Firestone Ride-Rite Air Suspension Bags, Map/Dome LEDs, Smittybilt Nerf Bars
    Let's press on with three tiers. Thoughts?

7. Nov 20, 2012 at 8:44 PM
    TNDrew

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Chattanooga, TN
    Vehicle:
    '12 Reg Cab 4x4 Silver
    Sounds good to me. how many flies and patterns? I say we still tie a dozen flies... 2 patterns thats 3 flies per other tier per pattern.

8. Nov 20, 2012 at 8:44 PM
    TNDrew

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Chattanooga, TN
    Vehicle:
    '12 Reg Cab 4x4 Silver
    I think that math is right anyway... I've been doing Laplace Transforms for about 8 hours, so simple math is eluding me at the moment.

9. Dec 30, 2012 at 12:18 PM
    snooker

snooker Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma Double Cab 4x4 SR5
    Snugtop shell
    I just joined TacomaWorld and came across this thread. I'm an avid fly tier and fisher...would like to get in on the fly swap or a fishing swap if you folks are still interested.

Tight lines

Products Discussed in

To Top