1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

TacomaWorld weight loss thread!!

Discussion in 'Health' started by futuretacoowner, Jul 18, 2013.

1. May 23, 2014 at 11:46 AM
    RearViewMirror

RearViewMirror Saw things so much clearer once you... were in my

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    2023 Subaru WRX GT
    I've been pretty fortunate with my weight most of my life. I attribute most of that to racing bikes, being on one of the busiest Truck Companies in the south, and just plain old genetics.

I do notice though that the weight is harder to keep off once you hit 40. Getting my personal trainers license helped also with teaching me moderation and keeping active. You don't have to hit the gym to stay active. Just get up and go for a walk, mow the yard, play with the kids, etc....

As long as you burn more calories than you take in you will lose weight. Just remember it didn't get there overnight so it won't come off overnight. It is a lifestyle change but it truly is as simple as that.

2. May 26, 2014 at 8:50 AM
    futuretacoowner

futuretacoowner [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    02 2.7L xtra cab
    So this weekend I kind of feel off the weight loss/ health bandwagon. It was my step dads birthday and we had a BBQ. I still worked out though. I have decided to change my weigh ins to Fridays instead of Mondays. I also started to incoporate bodyweight exercises into my plan. I am doing bodyweight exercises due to the fact that I live too far from the nearest gym, and it is much more practical. I would prefer free weight exercises, but for me at this moment it is not possible. keep in mind I do kayak a few times a week, usually at a moderate to vigourous pace. and I also bike.

3. May 26, 2014 at 3:32 PM
    RearViewMirror

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    2023 Subaru WRX GT
    I had my one Mexican meal yesterday. At the station today and getting ready to eat some sushi. Worked in the yard all day Sat. and cleaned out the garage all day Sun. I'm still in a calorie deficit but that's good.

4. May 31, 2014 at 8:43 AM
    futuretacoowner

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    02 2.7L xtra cab
    Alright, so last time I jumped on the scale I was at 218lbs, though I am thinking there was a lb. or 2 water weight(at least hoping) I started to do a little weight training in my "redneck" gym. I also went on a 14 miles bike ride on Tuesday that got me a bunch of abrasions, a few bruises, and 3 stitches. That didnt stop me, 2 days after I continued my C25K, and continued weight training. I also started eating IIFYM which took a bit of getting used to the first couple days, but after is going quite well. I did eat over my recommended calories for losing weight yesterday, but stayed under my maintenance, and under my goal for the week.

For those of you wondering about my "redneck gym", let me explain. I live to far from the closest gym for it to be worth my while, so I made my own. I have a few cinder blocks I use as dumbells, a tree that I fell for a barbell, a couple tall chairs for a squat rack, and a retaining wall for a bench. It is far from pretty but it works.

I think that I am driving my family a little crazy, because I track every calorie, and weigh everything. Really losing weight is simple calories in just have to be less than calories out. add a little weight training to minimalize muscle loss and stay motivated and you got yourself some fat loss.

The one question I have is why do people want to stop you from losing weight? I mean people who are like take a day off, or don't you think you have lost enough already? It really bugs me. I want to be skinny, for me, that is who I want to be. Please help keep me motivated, please don't try to un-motivate me!

Sorry for the long post!!

**disclaimer- I am not a professional, just a guy trying to lose weight. So, please don't think I am giving official advice. I am just saying what seems to be working for me.**

5. May 31, 2014 at 9:08 AM
    RearViewMirror

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    2023 Subaru WRX GT
    No man... You're exactly right. You are doing it for you. No one else. There is nothing wrong with wanting to better yourself and your health. Don't let anyone un-motivate you. You are doing the right thing for you. There is also nothing wrong with your redneck gym. In all honesty, the hardest workouts have been with body weight alone. No outside weights at all. Try holding a "plank" position for 2 mins. That is one of the hardest things (also one of the best for building your core) that you will ever do.

Keep it up brother. You're doing good!

6. May 31, 2014 at 9:10 AM
    CVYota

CVYota Damaged goods

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Crescenta Valley
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCLB V6 4WD
    Extended front 2.5 Icons. LR UCAs, Dakar Leaf Springs, rear King Smooth 2.5 w/res , Softopper, 285/75-16 Goodyear Wrangler MT/R with kevlar,16x8 SCS wheels 4.5 bs, Brute Force Rear bumper, 4x4 switch led, Diff Breather mod, weathertechs, Pelfrybilt front bumper, IFS and mid skids, B.A.M.F rear diff armor, LCA armor, Light bar mount and Sliders, Homer grill, Andres Devil horns, LED light bar, gauge pod with dual battery gauge and ecometer. Dual battery.
    You do need to keep going, the weight comes off easier at your age. I am 53 now and can get my wieght to budge. I was a gymnast and rode bikes every day at your age. I am 5' 9" and was a ripped 165. After Gymnastics I kept riding my bike and stayed around 180 (big frame) then in my 40's a knee injury sidelined me for a few months and that was it, I have been at 230 ever since.

For me the aerobics worked best for wieght loss. and a diet you can stick to forever is what you need. Once you reach your goal the stuff you cut out will sneak back in. Sugar is the biggest problem I think trying to get rid of that addictive substance is the best /hardest thing.

GL and don't give up!

Last edited: May 31, 2014
  7. May 31, 2014 at 9:38 AM
    RearViewMirror

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    2023 Subaru WRX GT
    You're right about the older you get. I'm in my mid 40's and it is more of a challenge than it was in my mid 20. Course I was racing bikes back then so it was a completely different ball game. I'm more sedentary than I used to be but still walk 5 miles almost every day.

Calories in less than calories out. That's it. So simple yet so hard at the same time.

8. May 31, 2014 at 3:13 PM
    anotherreject

anotherreject Well-Known Member

Member:
    Im down 35 pounds now, i cleaned out my attic, i had boxes and trash bags full of clothes i havnt worn in years, it was like going shopping for new clothes without spending a penny. My wife is starting to be a pain in the ass about me being at the gym so much...you guys can guess my number of fucks given.

9. Jun 1, 2014 at 9:07 AM
    futuretacoowner

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    02 2.7L xtra cab
    Good job!!!! Many worse places to be than at the gym!

A channel I have been watching on youtube that is pretty good https://www.youtube.com/user/FeedingFitness . The guy actually dropped a great amount of weight and explained how he did it, and what he is doing now.

10. Jun 17, 2014 at 9:22 PM
    t4r4life

t4r4life poptard and protein farts

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    East Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    1998 Toyota 4runner
    panty dropping mod
    I lost and gained weight, in a good way.
    2014-06-17_211801.jpg

11. Jun 25, 2014 at 7:04 PM
    badphish14

badphish14 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Long Island
    Vehicle:
    '12 TRD OFF ROAD
    After 2,000 excuses for more than 2 years, all boiling down to being lazy, finally starting to get my act back together and get back into shape.
    Should be interesting. I went for my old bike ride that I used to kill and it kicked my ass.

12. Jun 26, 2014 at 4:59 AM
    anotherreject

Member:
    -40 pounds
    I should have taken progress photos but didnt (mostly too ashamed to take them)
    Im now the same weight i was 9 years ago before i started getting into shape the first time. I hope to be 200 by the end of the year. Im not sure yet if that is an unrealistic goal.
    My work uniform is falling off of me because it is too big, but there is a shortage of uniform pants available, this is a nice problem to have lol

13. Jun 26, 2014 at 6:29 AM
    RearViewMirror

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    2023 Subaru WRX GT
    The bike ride should give you some motivation. If you're anything like me, know that I used to be able to do something and now I can't.... I don't take that well.

40 lbs! That's awesome man! Keep it up. Now that you've come this far I did want to mention that there will be a time sooner or later when you plateau and your weight will level off for a bit. Don't get discouraged if it happens. It's just what your body does. It has gotten used to the lower calorie intake and so the weight comes off slower. That is the point a lot of people reach and give up because they aren't seeing the results as fast as they once were. It will keep coming off though.

You're doing great man. Keep it up!

14. Jun 26, 2014 at 8:16 AM
    anotherreject

Member:
    Im pretty sure ive reached the plateau, i was 245-250 for about a month, i changed up the routine a little and saw some progress. I started in December so i think ill be close to my goal by the end of the year

15. Jul 12, 2014 at 5:38 AM
    anotherreject

Member:
    -45. Also -8 pants sizes

16. Jul 13, 2014 at 10:39 AM
    Mainmoe02

Mainmoe02 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Moe
    Austin, Texas
    Vehicle:
    01 Gold tacoma SR5 TRD
    3" lift EIBACH coils w/ 5100's front, OME/ Dakar leaf springs w/ toytec adjustable shackles at 1.5" and 5125's out back. 33x10.5x15 KM2's Relentless DIY steel bumper.
    good job! and keep it up.

Im at a "wall" and need to change it up

17. Jul 22, 2014 at 3:51 PM
    anotherreject

Member:
    I havnt weighed myself in a while, but i did jog/run 4 miles today, i havnt done that in about 8 years

18. Sep 6, 2014 at 5:14 AM
    anotherreject

Member:
    Im thinking about giving the paleo/caveman diet a shot. I read about it and it seems to make sense and seems easy to follow. Has anybody here tried it?

19. Sep 6, 2014 at 7:29 AM
    RearViewMirror

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    2023 Subaru WRX GT
    I personally haven't heard of it. If you've hit a wall I suggest switching up your routine a little to confuse your body. I started riding bikes again and it is amazing the amount of calories you burn while doing that. I've got a cyclocross bike and a DH bike and it will give you one hell of a workout. I started racing bikes when I was 5 and quit when I was 35. I'm 45 now and glad to be back on them. I didn't have any weight to lose but I've already lost a belt size just by being on the bike.

I average 20 miles a day unless it's raining. Might be something to think about. Just remember... It's the amount you take in and the amount you expend. If you expend more... You'll still lose weight.

Spend most of my time on this

20140802_193707_RichtoneHDR1_zpsb05f23b5_c71af30bedac62a5661c20f6c58a7081228e7eac.jpg

But this will give you a hell of a workout since it is a DH with a single speed in front

20140812_120307_zpsb3827a26_d448c6c354298954b2a65fd0dc8ee0a8615311a2.jpg

20. Sep 6, 2014 at 7:35 AM
    Monster Coma

Monster Coma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Pittsburgh, PA/Houston, TX
    Sponsored by Mom and Dad
    Guess ill sub to this again.

After months of saying I was gonna workout and get back in shape I realized I had reached my heaviest weight ever. 182.4 lbs. But I have actually been going to the gym now and I am trying nutisystems 5 day kick starter plan to help me not eat 70 meals a day.

The goal is to lose about 25lbs to get down to 155ish by December 12th. Ill be keeping track of my progress here to hopefully keep me on top of things

Products Discussed in

To Top