1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tail Light Question

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Sinjen, Mar 19, 2015.

1. Mar 19, 2015 at 2:44 PM
    scottiediver

scottiediver Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Bayville, NJ
    Vehicle:
    14 DCOR
    Auto dim comp/temp mirror Fog light anytime 12v in-cab anytime
    I had a robo can take out my tail light on a windy day. Hard to tell the damage at first but swapped out for black background ones.

IMG_0146.jpg

2. Mar 19, 2015 at 3:55 PM
    Snowbrdr1220

Snowbrdr1220 Well-Known Member

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    13 DC TRD Off Road NBM
    Well it's not the same as any other mod, but I agree it's not a huge risk either in the grand scheme of life.

I use to like smoked tail lights until one of my close friends got into an accident and paid dearly for having them about 10 years ago. He had a bright yellow Toyota Supra with a lot of money into performance upgrades, it had blacked out lights with extra bright bulbs. Well one night he was cruising along a rural two lane highway with someone tailgating, when a deer jumped out in front of him. He hit his brakes pretty hard not even fully stopping or anything and the guy tailgating smashed his entire rear end in.

In the end the other guy used a picture of his blacked out tail lights to win the insurance battle when it would have been his fault otherwise. It caused my friend's insurance premium to sky rocket. Just pointing that out, the risk/reward of darkening your brake lights is questionable. Not sure how it would have played out in another state though.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2015
To Top