1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

tail light tint?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by bsb120, Jan 26, 2013.

1. Jan 27, 2013 at 7:13 PM
    Madjik_Man

Madjik_Man The Rembrandt of Rattle Can

Member:
    Colorado Front Range
    Vehicle:
    1998 Ext Cab 3.4 4x4 TRD 5MT, 2004 DC 3.4 4x4 TRD
    Oh and...

http://www.wsp.wa.gov/traveler/passequip.htm

2. Jan 27, 2013 at 7:17 PM
    T-rev

T-rev Resident Mall Crawler

Member:
    Tempe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Offroad
    Those are the best looking tail lights I've seen. I'm seriously considering getting a pair of 09+ LED's and doing this.

3. Jan 27, 2013 at 7:25 PM
    Spoonman

Spoonman Granite Guru

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Alberta
    I was thinking of getting the 08+ LEDs and getting rid of the clear in favor of red. Red tails are nice.

4. Jan 27, 2013 at 8:26 PM
    BuzzardsGottaEat

BuzzardsGottaEat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Some Toyotas
    Round tires
    My truck isn't lifted at all. I don't believe in lifts if your tires don't rub and trimming won't fix it.

Oversized tires: These are 31.7" tall and very "functional" for the terrain I drive over quite often. I wanted 255/85s but you know, even though they would look great, they would not be used for their "funtion". You see I don't live near a place where I could rock crawl and be super duper cool more often and I do a lot of highway and driving in the snow. So, I got the tires that I thought would be most "functional" for the terrain. Some ATs that aren't too big or too small, are very light, and do well in the snow and on the highway.
    Even my wheels, I will be honest, I don't really prefer the look of them. They do look great, yes. But I prefered something that looked more subtle. Then again, I wanted something "functional" so I chose light weight since I'm pushing just over 100 hp instead of something that looked the way I wanted.

I can go on and on, the point is don't try to point out that something isn't "functional" on my truck to try and say that tinted tail lights isn't dangerous. Tinted tail lights are a danger to others. Tinted windshields and head lights are a danger to others. When you put "looks" before function and safety it is foolish. So yes, function>fashion. (especially when other's safety is in your hands.

5. Jan 28, 2013 at 3:49 PM
    bsb120

bsb120 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bradley
    Easley, South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCLB TRD SPORT
    if someone hits me in the back, they shouldnt have been on my ass like that, i dont live where theres snow nor dangerous conditions, i live in the south, and if you are taking your truck off road thats not the function of such a vehicle thats what ATV's are for.

im tired of yall who look for these posts trying to jump somebody, this was not in any way shape fashion or form asking for your opinion, nor uneducated bashing, it was a simple question, Its my truck and if i want to i will chop the top off ur opinion means nothing if i dont ask for it.

6. Jan 28, 2013 at 4:07 PM
    BuzzardsGottaEat

BuzzardsGottaEat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Some Toyotas
    Round tires
    I was replying to that other guy but since you responded I will say that it is not uneducated bashing and if you ask questions online you will get all types of answers, to include ones warning of the dangers involved with whatever the question was about. Sorry if no one likes what we're saying but we're simply attempting to point out that it isn't safe to lower visibility. That's all man. Do what you want. And it may seem like people are being harsh but in a sense we care too, enough to point out possible dangers and liabilities. I won't beat a dead horse. I stand by my statement that tinting lights and windshields is sacrificing an important function for subjective looks and inconsiderate of others.

7. Jan 28, 2013 at 4:17 PM
    Glueman

Glueman Yersinia pestis

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    The Plague....
    6 inch Douche Bag lift...what else do I need?
    I don't understand tinting tailights. Do what you want but aren't there more productive things to do to a truck? Just wondering.

8. Jan 28, 2013 at 4:52 PM
    Spoonman

Spoonman Granite Guru

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Alberta
    Yes there are. unfortunately being a bro is a top priority to some.

9. Jan 29, 2013 at 3:38 PM
    bsb120

bsb120 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bradley
    Easley, South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCLB TRD SPORT
    Just what the hell does "being a bro" mean?

10. Jan 29, 2013 at 4:53 PM
    99TacoDriver

99TacoDriver Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Louisiana
    OME 885x/5100s/LR UCA/3 leaf AAL/275/70/17 Terra Trac X-Venture
  11. Jan 31, 2013 at 6:02 PM
    Mr. Biscuits

Mr. Biscuits gentleman and a scholar

Member:
    First Name:
    Brennen
    Eugene, OR
    Vehicle:
    2000 PreRunner TRD V6
    - OME suspension - Custom front/rear tube bumpers - 33x12.5r15 BFG KOs - Deckplate mod + AFE reusable filter - Aero Turbine 2525 exhaust, chopped before leaf spring - Toyota Horns emblem by Diaz Fabrication - Pioneer stereo and new speakers + 10" sub - camper shell
    okay but we're talking about extremes of each. yes, 37" tires with no flaps is a big issue. and taillights tinted beyond light output is also a very dangerous situation waiting to happen. but none of us are really doing either. it seems to me that most who tint here are responsible and the result isn't much light lost. just as most of us don't run giant monster truck tires in the rain, flapless. it all requires a bit of moderation and common sense

12. Jan 31, 2013 at 9:22 PM
    Blaise03

Blaise03 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Blaise C
    Gonzales
    Vehicle:
    03 prerunner sr5
    billet grille front and bottom,Led spyder crystal headlights, Led tailights, 1.5 inch lifted , pioneer head unit , focal speakers,
    Get VHT niteshade , and paint thinner or goof off will get it off

Products Discussed in

To Top