1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tailgate lock?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Pat69, Jul 22, 2008.

1. Jul 24, 2008 at 2:48 PM
    zombot

zombot Scavenger

Member:
    savannah
    Vehicle:
    08 white debadged panda
    bull bar and offroad lights, tool box and other minor storage mods
    just saw a couple sites selling these for tacomas for over 100 bucks!!
    well, a sucker is born every minute. :rolleyes:

2. Jul 24, 2008 at 3:07 PM
    mmatheny

mmatheny Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Dickinson, Tx
    Vehicle:
    2017 SR5 DCSB Magnetic Gray Metallic
    BakFlip MX4
    I had none of the locking issues you describe. Maybe some good lube in the lock before the winter might help.

3. Jul 24, 2008 at 3:39 PM
    Turbonium

Turbonium I wanna haul stuff

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    '08 SR5 4x2 Access Cab w/SnugTop
    Mods? What's a mod? Bone stock, baby. Well, okay. Maybe a few smallish mods. If you count a locking gas cap, coin holder and a behind-the-seat trash bag.
    As mentioned about the keys, the Pop-n-Lock is not guaranteed security for a tailgate or for the contents of your bed for those of us who have a cap, but they're alright for what I want these kind of devices for; deterring the casual, brain-dead, low-life, should-be-shot, why-were-you-even-born, thief. For the more determined criminal, they just slow them down, but that might be enough if they're a Two-Striker on parole.

4. Jul 24, 2008 at 4:14 PM
    piercedtiger

piercedtiger Devout Atheist

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
    2015 F150 3.5EB SCEW 6.5ft
    Do they spread salt and sand on the roads 4 months out of the year in Texas? I lubed mine a few times to make it work smoother. By spring the internal flap and what parts I could see were corroded white, and the whole locking mechanism was jammed full of a white/tan material I can only guess was salt and sand. (as in, I barely got the flap open enough to get 1/8" of the key into the lock before it stopped. forget about trying to turn it.) Even after it was removed I couldn't figure out how to clean out the lock to keep using it. And that's why I trashed it.

Maybe it was a freak occurrence, but do you have any idea how to get the tailgate open if it had seized while locked? :confused: You have to take the plastic cover off to get to the lock, but I don't think that can be removed with the tailgate closed. At least not without break/cutting it. I suppose you my be able to pick the latches on each side, but I'd rather not try it. So IMO, it's still not worth it.

Products Discussed in

To Top