1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tailgate question

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by skeeter_7, Aug 12, 2011.

1. Aug 12, 2011 at 7:02 PM
    skeeter_7

skeeter_7 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Columbus, Ms
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner
    Flowmaster Super 44 Series, Brush Guard, LED cockpit mod
    So I had a little mishap with my tailgate and went to have it appraised by a body shop. They said it would cost 1200 bucks to fix it!!

so I started looking online to see how much a brand new tailgate would cost. I found a few just under 300 just primed. I was wondering if the tailgates were all the same on the 2nd gen and if I could just pull the back up camera out and put it in the new tailgate? Anybody know?

2. Aug 12, 2011 at 7:30 PM
    AndrewFalk

AndrewFalk Science!

Member:
    The North East
    Vehicle:
    2010 5 speed 5 lug
    :)
    As far as I know, they are all the same. The only difference being that later models came with reinforced tailgates to keep them from folding in the middle. But that was doesn't affect the way its mounted or its appearance.

3. Aug 12, 2011 at 7:39 PM
    primer

primer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    T
    OK
    Vehicle:
    06 SS Mica AC 4x4 TRD Off-Road
    (Mostly) debadged, Homelink mirror, Elevated rear diff breather, LED illuminated 4x4 switch, Color matched grill surround, Bed cover, Ivan Stewart wheels, Bridgestone 265/75 Dueler AT Revo 2 tires
    I think the pre-camera (08/09?) models didn't have some of the holes to route the camera wiring. Not sure - but if you go used that might be a consideration.

I have a big dent in mine. Haven't had the time to get an estimate yet.

TL

4. Aug 12, 2011 at 7:44 PM
    ouyin2000

ouyin2000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    '11 DCSB TRD Sport
    Leer 100XL Canopy, OEM Side steps, TRD Oil Cap, TRD License Plate Cover, WeatherTech Digital Fit Liners, Elite O/R Hitch Shackle, Katzkin Leather Interior, LED Interior Lighting, Foglight Anytime mod, Illuminated 4x4 switch, Grom Audio Aux adapter, Redline Goods leather shift boot console cover and door handle pulls, Sockmonkey bedside decals, Dynolock electric tailgate lock
    Something to be aware of, is that some of those online retailers are actually selling stolen tailgates.

Buyer beware.

5. Aug 12, 2011 at 8:02 PM
    skeeter_7

skeeter_7 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Columbus, Ms
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner
    Flowmaster Super 44 Series, Brush Guard, LED cockpit mod
    Yea I was think about running by a scrap yard and seeing if I could find one. I was just wondering if the handles were different sizes. If there isn't a hole I'm sure I could drill one.
    Definitely dont want the cops coming to my house and taking the tailgate.

6. Sep 2, 2011 at 6:43 AM
    cstephan

cstephan Jack Of All - Master at none

Member:
    Hendersonville, Nc
    Vehicle:
    17 Taco TRDOR -DCSB- Gov. Controled Special
    Hold my BEER and WATCH THIS
    what kind of mishap? i just did some damage to mine also. going to get it looked at today. how bad is your compared to mine?

EDIT: what do you think this will cost\?

IMAG0527.jpg

7. Sep 2, 2011 at 6:51 AM
    Sport11

Sport11 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Kingsport, TN
    Vehicle:
    Dodge Ram 1500
    Find someone with the same color truck as you (note they cannot have any kind of anti-theft tailgate device). Take their tailgate off and put it on your truck. Then take your tailgate and put it on their truck. Then they come out of the bar, strip club, or any place with a darkly lit parking lot and no security cameras. They look at their tailgate and think, "Who the hell backed into my tailgate?" Problem solved!!!

P.S. just kidding. The only way I would buy a tailgate really cheap ($300) is if I saw the person's truck and they had modded the rear for a spare tire carrier or something like that. Otherwise, I would just assume it has been stolen.

8. Sep 2, 2011 at 10:08 AM
    cstephan

cstephan Jack Of All - Master at none

Member:
    Hendersonville, Nc
    Vehicle:
    17 Taco TRDOR -DCSB- Gov. Controled Special
    Hold my BEER and WATCH THIS
    i just found out the cost. 2 shops came back 384(one year on finishes)- 478(life time on finishes) what do you guys think, pay for the life time on finishes? and what do you all think of dupont compared to ppg

9. Sep 2, 2011 at 10:30 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    Get some of those sheet metal vise grips that have the wide flat mouth on them and put a cloth folded over a coupla times and squeeze that shit out. Simple & free....if you know someone who has a pr of those vise grips.........like these

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/228882619/Flat_mouth_Lock_Grip_pliers_CH.html

Products Discussed in

To Top