1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tailgate table idea???

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by midwesttaco314, Oct 18, 2019.

1. Feb 3, 2021 at 3:06 PM
    Scaia Offroad

Scaia Offroad Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Vehicle:
    2020 Toyota Tacoma TRD OffRoad
    BP-51 3" suspension Decked storage system ARB Onboard Air Compressor Uptop Overland Roof rack Vivid Lumen Lighting throughout Switch panel Thule Bedrack Fuel Ripper Rims BFG KO2's and more...
    Hey I don't know if you have come up with a solution to this or not but I have just started working on a prototype for a tailgate extended outdoor kitchen option where you don't need a steel swing out bumper. Don't know if there is anything out there currently or not but excited to see if I can make this concept come to life...
    Slide2.jpg

Capture.jpg

dpf88101, zippo88, codyjphoto and 3 others like this.
  2. Feb 3, 2021 at 3:22 PM
    TacoTyusday

TacoTyusday Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zac
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2014 White Tacoma TRD Baja

the only issue I see with this design, and OP's previous one, is the length of the legs.

Just gotta be sure the length of the overhang from the tail gate is greater than the distance needed for the legs, or else you either won't be able to close the legs flush, or you'll have to rotate them 270 degrees the other direction to have em lay flat (in OP's example with the legs mounted on the side). In yours, there's no option but to either use telescoping legs or be sure the height of the legs is less than the overhang off the tailgate.

3. Feb 3, 2021 at 4:05 PM
    Scaia Offroad

Scaia Offroad Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Vehicle:
    BP-51 3" suspension Decked storage system ARB Onboard Air Compressor Uptop Overland Roof rack Vivid Lumen Lighting throughout Switch panel Thule Bedrack Fuel Ripper Rims BFG KO2's and more...

Yeah thanks for the feedback. the pole would be telescoping to accommodate elevation changes for sure. currently working with a CNC machine shop to come up with a prototype.

Cheers,

4. Feb 4, 2021 at 4:45 PM
    Overland&UpMoutains

Overland&UpMoutains Fully Built Overland Rig for Sale

Member:
    First Name:
    Parker
    Deleware
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Pro MT Blue
    Armor: Custom Fabricated Front Bumper (Victory 4x4 Blitz w/ full width tubing added after) Victory 4x4 Strike Steel Rock Sliders Coastal Overland Rear Bumper w/ Dual Swing Out Steel and reinforced Hitch Receiver RCI Full Aluminum Skid’s Wheels/Tires/Suspension 34” BFG KO2 (Full size spare on swing out) 17” KMC Impact (black) Fox 2.5” Front Coilovers w/ DSC Adjuster Upgraded Springs: 650 lb Eibach 14" Long 3.0" ID Coil Springs Total Chaos Upper Control Arm Fox 2.5" Remote Reservoir Shock Kit for Rear w/ DSC Adjuster ICON RXT Leaf Spring (Option 3/Heavy Setting) Wheeler Superbump Front + Rear Bumpstops ICON U-Bolt Flip Kit Body Mount Relocation ECGS 8” Clamshell Bushing (Eliminates Needle Bearing) **For Refrence: Suspension set up is equivalent to Stage 4a Acutune** Performance/Off-Road Stuff/Recovery Nitro 4.88 Regear installed by ECGS Dobson 4x4 Snorkel Differential Breather 10k lb winch (Smittybuilt) Extended rear brake lines Hi-Lift Jack w/ weatherproof cover included (mounted to roof rack, can also be mounted to swing out) Air Compressor and Air Hoses included 4 ton jack stand included Tree saver winch strap included D-Ring Shackle x 2 included Spare Parts Include: 1 Wheel Bearing, 1 Tie Rod End Interior Accessories Custom Rear Seat Delete Platform Dashtop Multi-Mount (DMM), Will include 3 RAM mounts, one radio mount and two phone mounts iPad Mount, attached to passenger seat bracket, used for navigation Headrest Velcro Pouch Kit (Blue Ridge Overland) Overhead Storage Attic (Blue Ridge Overland) Trash Can (Lusso Gear Spill-Proof Car Trash Can, 2.5 Gallon Hanging behind Passenger seat) Fire Extinguisher Mount Exterior Accessories/Storage Prinsu Cab Rack Rugged Case (47” weatherproof rifle case mounted on Prinsu roof rack) Custom Roof Rack on Camper (designed to fit traction boards perfectly with space on either side for bikes or storage cases) Tailgate Storage, custom design using deck hatch that utilizes the interior space of the tailgate where I store recovery gear. Overland/Camping: Camper Custom (see details below) Bed light Bed lighting Domestic Fan Swing Up Rear/Side Panels with Locks Roof Rack 200 watt solar panel LED Third Brake Light Rear View Camera (connects to video rear view mirror in cab) Hurricane Hinges (not in the first few pictured as it was recently installed, you can see them in the later pictures but they are now painted black not silver to match the camper, totally waterproof no leaks!) Bed Buildout/Living System Baseboard/Mounting Plate (1/2” Birch, Bed Liner Coating) Trunk Cabinet Shelf Cabinet (fits 2 Sidio crates plus top storage box w/ organizing dividers) Elevate Fridge Cabinet w/ under storage for stove/cooking gear Custom 8020 build - strong enough to sit/stand on Water: 10 Gallon Water tank with pump, two spouts, one in back seat one in the bed 5 lb Propane Tank w/ mount attached to Swing Out (likely included, final tbd) Drop down table (attached to swing out) Rear Seat Delete (custom) Lighting: Rigid Adapt 30” Light Bar Rigid Ditch Lights Quad LED Headlights Meso Dual Red/White Interior Lights (Map + Dome) Camper interior lighting Electric Dual Battery System RedArc BCDC 25a Controller 90 Ah AGM Secondary/House Battery 200 watt solar panel 2 Blue Sea Fuse Boxes to manage accessories (one under hood, one in bed) Extra fuses included Comms: Midland Micromobile GMRS WeBoost w/ extended antenna on a RAM pivoting mount Other Fumoto Oil Change Valve Bike Rack (Tire Mounted)
    Check out SolidWoodWorx video (I think on a ram) and he used a telescopic leg foe the same thing

Scaia Offroad[QUOTED] likes this.
  5. Feb 4, 2021 at 5:58 PM
    cwadej

cwadej Ballerina Award winner

Member:
    Right Here
    Vehicle:
    2011 Access Cab 4x4

I like this. A lot. I did very similar with a 1/2 plywood that I waterproofed. Removed a crew in the tailgate to act as the hinge. Use a camera monopod as the leg, easily adjusts for height.

I really like your idea, I'd buy it.

Scaia Offroad[QUOTED] likes this.
  6. Feb 5, 2021 at 12:53 PM
    Scaia Offroad

Scaia Offroad Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Vehicle:

Thanks once I get the prototype sorted out I am planning to put it to market. Working with a CNC machine shop to work it all out. Among other fabricated items.

Appreciate the feedback!

7. Feb 5, 2021 at 2:19 PM
    dman100

dman100 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central Coast, California
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD OR DCSB
    Some interesting ideas here, but along the lines of drawers, kitchens etc, how often do folks actually cook right at their vehicle? I used to use the tailgate, sometimes do, but always carry a small table so I can get away from the rig. Also in bear country not sure I want the cooking odors to be right near the truck either.

P8trit likes this.
  8. Feb 5, 2021 at 6:23 PM
    cwadej

cwadej Ballerina Award winner

Member:
    Right Here
    Vehicle:
    2011 Access Cab 4x4

You'll never get a fresh bear skin bed mat with that attitude

9. Mar 22, 2021 at 9:42 PM
    dirtnsmores

dirtnsmores A camping truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    06 DCLB Prerunner
    OME885/5100, DAKAR MED-DUTY, SOFTOPPER
    Any updated on this? I wouldn't mind being a tester.

10. Apr 7, 2021 at 2:42 PM
    clenkeit

clenkeit Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Lakewood, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 White DCLB TRD Sport
    This looks awesome! The wife and I were camping all last week, different spots every night so we were kinda living out of the truck, cooking on the tailgate... and like everyone else you just run out of room really quickly. A setup like you've got here is awesome, I really like that it doesn't require a swing out add-on. I was actually thinking about a tailgate replacement rather than swing out that goes behind it but this is even better.

11. Apr 7, 2021 at 2:50 PM
    RyanDCLB

RyanDCLB Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    4/19 DCLBOR
    I can see someone making a table out of this :thumbsup:

12. Apr 7, 2021 at 3:14 PM
    Mattynokes

Mattynokes Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Madison, WI
    Vehicle:
    18' BLACK Off Road DCSB
    Prinsu Toprac TRD Beadlocks Century Shell
    Pretty easy to utilize your bed stiffeners if you got em!38E477AB-ED78-441E-8696-8D28F0B5F79C.jpg

13. Apr 7, 2021 at 3:55 PM
    dirtnsmores

dirtnsmores A camping truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    06 DCLB Prerunner
    OME885/5100, DAKAR MED-DUTY, SOFTOPPER
    Now this has me interested

Mattynokes[QUOTED] likes this.
  14. Apr 7, 2021 at 4:01 PM
    Mattynokes

Mattynokes Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Madison, WI
    Vehicle:
    18' BLACK Off Road DCSB
    Prinsu Toprac TRD Beadlocks Century Shell
    With a bracket and the right table, this can be perfect.

15. Apr 7, 2021 at 4:15 PM
    SoCalTbird

SoCalTbird Well-Known Member

Member:
    South OC
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner DCSB 05 AC 4X4
    sorry for the crude illustration, what if you used an eyelet at the outside order, with some cable and a turnbuckle for adjustable tension

upload_2021-4-7_16-15-31.jpg

Mattynokes likes this.
  16. Jun 3, 2021 at 11:56 AM
    Pachinco

Pachinco TacomaOutdoor

Member:
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tacoma TRD
    Napier truck bed tent EEZTOP folding table
    you have a good idea there! - my neighbor got this tailgate folding table from EEZTOP... I just ordered the smaller one for my Tacoma camper :thumbsup:. It's nice to sit on the tailgate bench!
    EEZTOP foldup table Dana Point fishing.jpg

SoCalTbird likes this.
  17. Jun 3, 2021 at 3:13 PM
    SoCalTbird

SoCalTbird Well-Known Member

Member:
    South OC
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner DCSB 05 AC 4X4
    looks a lot like DP harbor:cool:

18. Jun 25, 2021 at 4:28 PM
    phdog

phdog Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Northern Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Off Road
    w/Super Terrific Happy Hour Mod
    I cook every meal on my tailgate. Never had an issue. I'd like to figure out a simple, lightweight, slideout type table as well. I was thinking a piece of plywood with a drop down adjustable leg or maybe both sides so could use it away from the tailgate as well. Maybe something like this.

https://smile.amazon.com/Outdoor-Bamboo-Folding-Table-Aluminum/dp/B084J7XBCT/

[​IMG]

19. Jun 25, 2021 at 7:35 PM
    Pointeman

Pointeman Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Vehicle:
    2013 Pyrite Mica Tacoma DCLB
    6" Fabtech Amp Research hydraulic steps Front Runner Cab Rack Leer 100xr topper w/rails 17” Black Rhino Warlords Dark Tint 295/70R17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers
    I built mine into my drawer bed system 0BBBC90F-5052-4D1F-8962-6050E2D0DDD3.jpg50CCBA03-11F2-4662-A2B7-AFCB6EFB51D3.jpg

20. Jul 4, 2021 at 7:22 PM

1546 Well-Known Member

Member:
    FOLLOWING.

Products Discussed in

To Top