1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tailgate theft....How to prevent it....

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by chris4x4, Feb 21, 2009.

1. Sep 23, 2014 at 6:19 AM
    Lester Lugnut

Lester Lugnut Well-Known Member

Member:
    N of Mex-S of Canada-E of LA-W of NC
    Vehicle:
    '15 Tacoma PreRunner V6 SR5 Auto

According to a previous post in this thread, the clamp with the key is easily removed with a 12 point socket. No size was mentioned. I may buy one just to see if this is indeed true.

UPDATE - yes - the hose clamp with the special key is easily undone with a 7mm 1/4" drive socket.

And now for a bit of humor. For those who simply use an SAE #20 hose clamp, beware about installing it with the fastening part facing down. You may be thinking this will hamper the thief as he must now get underneath the truck and poke around up inside with a long screwdriver.

If you take this approach, the fastening part of the clamp will be in plain view once the gate is shut. The thief will be able to reach in at an opening in the lower right-hand corner with a flat blade screwdriver or ratchet with extension and an 8mm socket and have the clamp off in a second.

Washers are a good idea, but easily defeated in a blink with a Torx 40.

Pop n Lock - a member who also posted in this thread said he installs them for a living and that they can be removed in a blink with a cordless drill.

On each side I have a Master Security Cable - 1/4" x 6' Model 67D. I used a set of small padlocks to fasten down underneath the vehicle. Large padlocks are a waste of $$ as the thief will simply cut the cables if he's equipped. You will need to flatten the lead connectors in order to get them to feed down underneath the bed and to thread thru the brackets on each end of the bed. 3/8" cables in my opinion are too big to get thru either the bed brackets or down in between the bed and the bumper, even if they've been flattened. A thief can cut a 3/8" cable as easily as a 1/4" cable.

Don't be put off by what seems like negativity on my part. I have the SAE#20 hose clamp, a larger one wrapped around it, the washer mod(1 on each side) and 2 cable straps going from each side of the gate down underneath and pad locked. I'm simply pointing out the fact that anything mentioned in this thread can be overcome.

The approaches I've used will likely stop a person who has nothing but a pair of hands. Even if he's armed with all the necessary tools, will he want to spend the time needed to disable a total of 6 deterrents that I have in place? Hopefully not.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2014
  2. Sep 30, 2014 at 7:09 PM
    Jaxx

Jaxx New Member

Member:
    Just installed a clamp on my new to me 2012. Thanks for the tip, I had no clue these tailgates were so easy to run off with.

Next on the list is the Pop N Lock power lock and possibly some small wire cables.

3. Oct 1, 2014 at 7:36 PM
    4x4Active

4x4Active Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Saltwater Texas
    Vehicle:
    '13 Taco DC OR 3" lift stock rims on 33s
    New here. Got my 2013 truck when it came out. An friend told me about adding security to the tailgate. Got the pop n lock and clamp. Been there since the 1st week of the truck. Still running great.

4. Oct 25, 2014 at 9:27 PM
    Rojgonz

Rojgonz Well-Known Member

Member:
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    '13 Nautical Blue 6 speed Manual TRD Off Road
    How exactly does the washer mod work in that when I put one on and tighten it down, it prevents the eye hook on the cable from turning properly and causes it to bind seeing it takes up the small space needed for the hook to properly rotate? :confused:
    If I loosen it up so that it doesn't bind, the bolt is not tightened down properly.

5. Oct 25, 2014 at 10:43 PM
    diesel305

diesel305 Active Member

Member:
    miami, fl
    Vehicle:
    2011 tacoma prerunner DCSB trd sport
    Its not suppose to be tight. Loosen the bolt just enough where u can get the eye to slide in position

6. Oct 26, 2014 at 8:11 AM
    4x4Active

4x4Active Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Saltwater Texas
    Vehicle:
    '13 Taco DC OR 3" lift stock rims on 33s
    Not supposed to tight it all the way down. it's there so it won't be a grab and go. Add loctite red threat locker for extra security.

unless he got a impact wrench Or a cable cutter... Its not coming off.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2014
  7. Oct 26, 2014 at 2:36 PM
    maxboi

maxboi MAXBOI

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    SODA CITY
    Vehicle:
    2011 White D'Cab OR 4wd
    76 FJ horns, Weathertechs, Backup Camera anytime switch, Fogs anytime, Clamp & Washer tailgate, Diff Breather,
    [​IMG]

Two washers works perfect

I had to make the small one

8. Oct 30, 2014 at 11:38 AM
    TacomaTruckParts

TacomaTruckParts Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    San Gabriel
    Ok, so here is what I have done to keep my tailgate safe:

1. Hose clamp over a hose clamp.
    2. Washers on cable bolts.
    3. Pop & Lock power tailgate lock.
    4. Pop & Lock keyed tailgate handle.
    5. Cables and lock on both ends.
    6. Installed a Gate-Keeper
    7. Epoxied everything.
    8. I keep this guy in the bed, though I do take a slight hit on gas mileage.... And it all seems to be working, as no-one gets near my truck.

Legalgorillaintruck_zpsc03df5a0_7ac88cef06c281256225f0721272dd1050ec0eba.jpg

Buffy likes this.
  9. Nov 7, 2014 at 6:20 AM
    TMoffroad

TMoffroad New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    T
    San Antonio
    Vehicle:
    15 TRD Sport 4x4
    Black oval bars, SAE clamp on tail gate.. thanks for that tip!, spare tire lock, wheel locks, locking gas cap..
    Did or do you also recommend installing an after market locking tailgate latch handle?
    And do they work well with the back up camera?

Thanks!

10. Nov 7, 2014 at 8:08 AM
    shabbs

shabbs Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Toronto, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma 4x4 V6 DCLB TRD Sport
    Skid plate - added 2014/10/23, Bed extender - added 2014/10/25, Tonneau Cover - added 2014/10/31, OEM Bed Mat - added 2014/11/12, AM/FM/CB AntennaX - added 2014/11/16, Smittybilt 27046B Beaver Step for 2" Hitch - added 2015/01/22, Trimax SXT3 Premium 5/8" Key Receiver Lock - added 2015/01/22, 2 x Grip 30' x 4" Heavy Duty Tow Straps - added 2015/01/23
    Here's my tailgate protection method... a locking tonneau cover... heh heh.

[​IMG]

Just gotta remember to keep it locked now... ;)

11. Nov 7, 2014 at 8:15 AM
    crazy joker

crazy joker Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Charlotte area, NC
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCLB sport 4x4
    Real men just call it camping
    This is how I did it. Plus the old hose clamp.

12. Nov 15, 2014 at 1:42 PM
    wanna taco

wanna taco What's my name?

Member:
    First Name:
    alan
    SF Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    '15 DCSB TRD Sport 4x2 Barcelona Red!
    TRD Sport with a whole Shitload of TwoBitDiddlySquat Running Boards/Roof Rack/Bed Mat; Tint all around; W/Tech Liners; Extant Hard Trifold; P&L; Relentless tailgate mod; Amp Bed Step; TracOne; Rear headrest Delete; rear window lock rod; tailgate EZ hose clamp; Kahtec 3rd lite flasher; Muth Signal Mirrors; 894 (38W) Fog Reverse Bulbs; Seat belt extenders; Seat belt chime silenced; Fumoto Kwik Valve; RideRites/Daystars; Eyebolts; SS D Rings; Viair 70P; Lund hitch Bed Extender; Custom Windshield Rock Chips; ...
    This is the one to get. Koehler EZ20BK, available at Autozone stores, not online. The black key comes off, leaving a square shank, not easy to steal.
    (Sorry, I couldn't make a pic for some reason, so you'll have to open the pdf.)

Attached Files:

13. Dec 20, 2014 at 8:09 AM
    SETNHOOK

SETNHOOK Member

Member:
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    '15 TRD DCSB
    General Grabber AT2 265/75 16, SCS SR8 16" Matte Gunmetal, Billstein 5100 Adjustable Lift Kit from Toytec, Color Matched Grill, TRD Colorado Decals
    Add a bit of silicone adhesive to the screw and clamp so it just makes it a bigger pain in the ass to steal. Works like a charm

14. Dec 20, 2014 at 9:43 AM
    wanna taco

Member:
    First Name:
    alan
    SF Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport with a whole Shitload of TwoBitDiddlySquat Running Boards/Roof Rack/Bed Mat; Tint all around; W/Tech Liners; Extant Hard Trifold; P&L; Relentless tailgate mod; Amp Bed Step; TracOne; Rear headrest Delete; rear window lock rod; tailgate EZ hose clamp; Kahtec 3rd lite flasher; Muth Signal Mirrors; 894 (38W) Fog Reverse Bulbs; Seat belt extenders; Seat belt chime silenced; Fumoto Kwik Valve; RideRites/Daystars; Eyebolts; SS D Rings; Viair 70P; Lund hitch Bed Extender; Custom Windshield Rock Chips; ...
    Eewwww! Yeah, that would be a big pain in the ass. Remember, though, at some point you may have reason to need the gate off yourself. Happens, you know. Enough of a hassle to deal with the camera cable and the P&P cable if you have that.

15. Dec 21, 2014 at 1:04 AM
    RKCRUZA

RKCRUZA Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Placerville, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Pro in the Garage!

Seems several folks have been saying that the tailgate cable bolt is not supposed to be tight....

"Its not suppose to be tight. Loosen the bolt just enough where u can get the eye to slide in position"

That is not correct. The bolt for the tailgate cables is supposed to be tight, and if you don't take your Tail Gate off you might even add Locktight to make it harder to remove the bolt.

The photo above shows how a TW member made this work. He took the time to do it the right way. The Cable bolts are "Shoulder Bolts" you tighten them down tight and the shoulder lets the cable end move freely. When you add the outside washer to prevent the cable from being removed you shorten the shoulder area of the bolt and the cable end binds. By adding the small washer as MAXBOI showed in his post you lengthen the shoulder area back to where the cable does not bind and you can still tighten up the shoulder bolt as it was done from the factory. Takes a bit more time, but it is worth it as it works exactly like it did stock. My local Ace Hardware has a bunch of those specialty boxed hardware pieces and I was able to find stainless steel washers that were big enough to prevent removal of the cable, and bought 4 6mm Stainless steel washers (one wasn't quite thick enough) and used a drill press and motor grinder to open up the center hole to allow the threaded part of the bolt to go through the washer. No binding of the cable end and the Shoulder Bolts are installed very tight.

16. Jan 3, 2015 at 7:37 AM
    TKyota

TKyota Well-Known Member

Member:
    Thanks for the info everyone. I used ss hose clamp and thin ss cable w bug nut, nylon wrap around hinge section, rubber tape and electrical tape around bug nut. Will do the washer idea sometime and also have to wrap the hose clamp. Ya can see the cable, but its a work truck, doesnt bother me.

17. Jan 3, 2015 at 12:22 PM
    wanna taco

Member:
    First Name:
    alan
    SF Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    That's definitely not right. You actually mutilated a poor bug just for a security device on your tailgate?
    ...But you don't even include pictures for Oz? You need help, fella.

18. Jan 5, 2015 at 2:44 AM
    TKyota

TKyota Well-Known Member

Member:
    Yeah haha, actually secured cable to back cleats too, not a clean look, but again its a work truck. I saw the bumper application on this thread too late. The cable is thin enough not to crimp w shut tailgate, that was my main concern. Also looped cable enough for cleats to still be mobile and usable. I open the gate 10 times a day, working, so the reviews of the pop and lock handle wasnt a good option. If someone steals my ladders, i can replace them...a 20 second theft of the gate is all i'm concerned about.

19. Jan 13, 2015 at 9:42 PM
    ptwob311

ptwob311 Curios Noob

Member:
    First Name:
    P
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    '15 Tacoma TSS 4x4
    Bone Stock :(
    Well,
    I'll be doing this tomorrow.

20. Feb 6, 2015 at 8:33 AM
    allen993

allen993 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Allen
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Off-Road, Access Cab, Cement
    ok...I did not read all 44 pages of this thread...so the answer may be in here somewhere. I am new to trucks & tailgates, etc...so I'm sure I am missing this...but how is the hose clamp mod gonna prevent someone from stealing the tailgate? Why can't they just remove the clamp...take the tailgate?

To Top