1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tailgate theft....How to prevent it....

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by chris4x4, Feb 21, 2009.

1. Feb 6, 2015 at 8:38 AM
    hogeyphenogey

hogeyphenogey Back in a Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Agawam, MA
    Vehicle:
    Lunar Rock 2023 TRD Sport 6spd
    Most thieves are opportunists. It's about keeping honest people honest.

The hope is that making something difficult and time consuming will deter the thief.

You're a thief- you run over to my truck, drop the tailgate and start yanking up only to realize I've got hose clamps on there. Now, you have to run back to your vehicle, find/grab a screwdriver and start backing off my hose clamps one at a time. You have no idea if I'm on my way back out any time soon and people in the parking lot have just watched you approach this truck twice, once without and once with a screwdriver.

Is it perfect or impervious? No. If someone wants something bad enough, they will take it. But for the most part, make it a little tough and they'll move on to the next Tacoma and mine will still be in one piece.

2. Feb 6, 2015 at 8:44 AM
    Fredfifty

Fredfifty Back in a Mini

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Big Island - SF Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    99 5 Lug V6
    DJM 3/4 DJM UCA BJ FLIP CALMAX SHOCKS POLYURETHANE SWAY BAR BUSHINGS POLYURETHANE UCA BUMPSTOPS ROLLED FENDERS DJM 4 INCH ANGLED BLOCKS (STEEL) MINI C-NOTCH FROM ROHDE FABRICATIONS MJBTACO LOWPRO BUMPSTOPS CALMAX SHOCKS ROLLED FENDERS
    I used the hose clamps and the pop n lock method. that shoulder bolt mod method looks good to use as well.

3. Feb 6, 2015 at 8:44 AM
    Rickochet

Rickochet Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    '09 Tacoma Access 2.7 4 x 2
    Added VS Wipers, Cruise Control, DRL, Undercover SE Bed Cover
    What Hogey said.

Plus I have hex head hose clamps. I covered the hex end with heat shrink tubing so you have to remove the heat shrink before using a hex socket if you have one. I did the hose clamp first then later installed the Pop and Lock lockable tailgate handle. I also have a lockable solid Undercover bed cover that you have to raise to open the gate. So, to get mine they will have to defeat the locked bed cover, then the locked tailgate handle, then cut off the heat shrink on the hose clamp. I hoping that would be too much time for a thief to deal with.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2015
  4. Feb 6, 2015 at 8:44 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 [OP] With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    This. My neighborhood had some tailgates stolen a while back. 6 were gone. I came out, and saw my tailgate down, and my neighbor looking at his missing tailgate. He walked over to my truck, and said "I wonder why they didn't take yours". I pointed at the hose clamp, and he said "Sonofabitch.....a 50 cent part saved it".

5. Feb 6, 2015 at 10:53 AM
    allen993

allen993 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Allen
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Off-Road, Access Cab, Cement
    I figured that must be it...makes good sense. I am going by the dealer on the way home to get a locking tailgate handle to install.

BTW...I saw earlier in this thread the locking handle part# 0016-35150. According to my dealer, that part has been replaced with part# 0016-35026. This handle can be "coded"...I assume that means you can set it to work with your ignition key. That would be good but not a big deal either way.

Thanks...I'm liking this forum!

ZKH likes this.
  6. Feb 6, 2015 at 11:08 AM
    Rickochet

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    Here is the Pop and Lock PL5300 I installed on my '09 and it has worked great for six years now. It works with or without the OEM camera.

PL5300wcam.jpg

Buffy likes this.
  7. Feb 6, 2015 at 12:41 PM
    wanna taco

wanna taco What's my name?

Member:
    First Name:
    alan
    SF Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    '15 DCSB TRD Sport 4x2 Barcelona Red!
    TRD Sport with a whole Shitload of TwoBitDiddlySquat Running Boards/Roof Rack/Bed Mat; Tint all around; W/Tech Liners; Extant Hard Trifold; P&L; Relentless tailgate mod; Amp Bed Step; TracOne; Rear headrest Delete; rear window lock rod; tailgate EZ hose clamp; Kahtec 3rd lite flasher; Muth Signal Mirrors; 894 (38W) Fog Reverse Bulbs; Seat belt extenders; Seat belt chime silenced; Fumoto Kwik Valve; RideRites/Daystars; Eyebolts; SS D Rings; Viair 70P; Lund hitch Bed Extender; Custom Windshield Rock Chips; ...
    I have the P & L keyless lock that opens with the Taco Remote button. Both have pros and cons: Convenience and better security for mine, while the key model has the visual of the keyhole as a deterrent, but less convenient and less secure.

8. Feb 6, 2015 at 2:07 PM
    Rickochet

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    My first bed cover did not have an exterior lock and you had to latch it from the inside with the gate down (Extang Solid Fold). If I had installed an electric lock and it failed in the locked position I would have had a very big issue getting getting the cover up and the gate open.

9. Feb 6, 2015 at 3:37 PM
    wanna taco

Member:
    First Name:
    alan
    SF Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport with a whole Shitload of TwoBitDiddlySquat Running Boards/Roof Rack/Bed Mat; Tint all around; W/Tech Liners; Extant Hard Trifold; P&L; Relentless tailgate mod; Amp Bed Step; TracOne; Rear headrest Delete; rear window lock rod; tailgate EZ hose clamp; Kahtec 3rd lite flasher; Muth Signal Mirrors; 894 (38W) Fog Reverse Bulbs; Seat belt extenders; Seat belt chime silenced; Fumoto Kwik Valve; RideRites/Daystars; Eyebolts; SS D Rings; Viair 70P; Lund hitch Bed Extender; Custom Windshield Rock Chips; ...
    I thought of that with my Extang Hard Trifold, but dun it anyway. What was your replacement cover and why?

10. Feb 6, 2015 at 3:49 PM
    Rickochet

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    I think I bought the Trifold when they first came out. The aluminum top panels scratched easily and all of the seals were poorly cut and it leaked like a sieve in a car wash. You could look inside the bed and see light coming in from everywhere. Plus the latch springs were so strong it was tough for me to attach the latches and it was impossible for my wife to. I was about to just toss it in the trash but unloaded it on Craigslist and bought an Undercover SE which is a solid plastic single lock lever top that only weighs 55lbs. Had it for two years and wish I had gotten it from day one. Easy to remove and reinstall if you need to.

11. Feb 7, 2015 at 3:38 AM
    allen993

Member:
    First Name:
    Allen
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    So I go to my dealer to look at the 0016-35026...it is a "Pop and Lock" brand. I mean like in a P&L box with P&L logo on the underside of the handle...lol. I wasn't aware that NO current Tacoma has a locking tailgate...and Toyota does not make a locking handle for a Tacoma.

After reading all the problems/issues with the PL5400...especially the "cheap" feel of the handle and the lock failures...I've decided I'm just gonna do the hose clamp mod. Mine isn't a work truck by any means, so I do care about scratching the paint...so I'm looking into how to do that mod without scratching the paint up. Maybe big tie-wraps or the like.

12. Feb 7, 2015 at 7:14 AM
    AEmedic

AEmedic Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Boise, ID
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCLB 4X4 TRD Sport Supercharged
    TRD Supercharger, Toytec Adj. Coil-Overs, Bilstein 5100's, JL Audio system w/Kenwood DNX9980HD HU
    I put shrink wrap on the bands of the hose clamp before putting it on, I have no issues with scratching.

13. Feb 7, 2015 at 7:18 AM
    hogeyphenogey

hogeyphenogey Back in a Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Agawam, MA
    Vehicle:
    Lunar Rock 2023 TRD Sport 6spd
    I'm not aware of paint damage on mine. Once it's on and tight, it doesn't move around. Now, you should be able to get those hose clamps with a rubber insert on the inside or maybe put a rubber hose around that part of the tailgate then wrap the clamp around it.

Or you can put it on there, mark the spot on the clamp where the screw part is, back it off and then wrap the hose clamp with heat shrink wrap then reinstall it.

14. Feb 7, 2015 at 11:44 AM
    allen993

Member:
    First Name:
    Allen
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    I've seen the heat shrink on the clamp...looks real good. I think I'm gonna do that and also use a rubber clamp insert...I actually have both in my possession. The extra thickness that the shrink wrap adds will help the fit of the clamp band into the rubber insert. I'll post a pic when I'm done.

I almost bought the "McGard"...but found out it doesn't fit...luckily before I bought it. Like everybody else...I'm looking for a clean, effective, solution.

15. Feb 7, 2015 at 12:33 PM
    wanna taco

Member:
    First Name:
    alan
    SF Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    I've done the P&L and the hose clamp, and I just want to jump back in here to bash some of these naysayers who only want to talk down these great fixes based on their poorly researched opinions rather than fact.

Yes, the early P&L had problems according to many who had them. Do your research correctly and you'll find that those problems were addressed by newer models, and there is even a fix for those that are installed incorrectly. In my opinion, no keylock is secure from a big screwdriver, so I bought the electric model that installs on the inside of the tailgate, utilizing the original Tacoma handle. While there certainly is a possibility of an electrical failure, this model uses a good solenoid that should last as long as any automotive solenoid.

For those who balk at using a hose clamp on grounds that it may scratch the paint, use your noggin for more than a hatrack. The hoseclamp goes on solidly to the tailgate and doesn't rub or touch any other part. It doesn't scratch paint, it doesn't need additional layers of rubber or anything else, it is stainless steel and not visible when the tailgate is closed. For a lousy couple of bucks you can prevent the theft of your tailgate and you throw up nonsense reasons as to why it might not work for you.

I will say that I always open packages carefully with intention of returning products for refund if they don't work out. I just did that with a toilet repair kit that I wound up not using after all. (I hate toilets, they always seem to be smarter than me!) Anyway, my point is, try it and return it if you're not satisfied, no harm, no foul.

Finally, I do hope I didn't butt hurt too many here, but if I did, you're certainly welcome to post more negatives comments about these products and about how I hurt your delicate feelings.

16. Feb 23, 2015 at 12:04 AM
    Duke Chuck

Duke Chuck Member

Member:
    TN
    Vehicle:
    Speedway Blue
    3" lift, locking cargo storage door mod, NfAB nerf bars, temp gauge fix/mod, weathertech floor mats
    Are the yellow keys unique to each clamp? I'm just curious because if someone had that yellow key or bought one and came back to my truck couldn't they get the tail gate regardless? I'm not trying to be critical just looking for my best option.

17. Feb 23, 2015 at 6:17 AM
    4x4Active

4x4Active Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Saltwater Texas
    Vehicle:
    '13 Taco DC OR 3" lift stock rims on 33s
    If they want to take your tailgate. They will. Clamp are there as a deterrent. So he/she can hopefully move to the next target.

Your best solution is a pop n lock.

18. Feb 23, 2015 at 11:09 AM
    itzyoboipaul

itzyoboipaul Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    PFville, TX
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD OR Cement

I JB welded the top of hose clamp nut, added the washer and recently added the Pop n Lock since I have a tri fold tonneau now also :)

19. Feb 23, 2015 at 7:34 PM
    tacomarich

tacomarich luvsoffroading

Member:
    First Name:
    rich
    arizona
    Vehicle:
    trd 4x4 offroad
    theres too much overthinking this. just add the clamp and be done with it. like said prior, if someone wants your tailgate, they will get it. this is a great deterant though like stated and hopefully the scumbag thieves will look elsewhere for an easier steal!

20. Feb 23, 2015 at 7:38 PM
    Duke Chuck

Duke Chuck Member

Member:
    TN
    Vehicle:
    Speedway Blue
    3" lift, locking cargo storage door mod, NfAB nerf bars, temp gauge fix/mod, weathertech floor mats
    Since I haven't had my truck, but for a few weeks I haven't been able to explore everything that the prior owner did to it. I went to add a clamp and there was one already on. Thanks for all the info, I will probably be adding a PnL for double safety.

To Top