1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Talk me into or out of a SUPERCHARGER!!!

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by novakills, Nov 3, 2009.

1. Nov 4, 2009 at 10:32 AM
    Doc.SS

Doc.SS ︻╦╤─

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    O'side
    Vehicle:
    T4R SR5
    I've owned a few F/I cars and this isn't the truth, for a supercharged car. Now a turbo uses the engine oil and that can be an issue for turbo/engine life.

2. Nov 4, 2009 at 10:36 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Some superchargers use engine oil as well...

I'd vote sure- go for it. They can be great for extra power offroad or towing, they sound cool, and who doesn't like having a bit more HP...=)

3. Nov 5, 2009 at 8:11 PM
    dwntwnall4u

dwntwnall4u Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    san diego
    Vehicle:
    2013 4x4 Dbl cab Auto
    I would say it may be true. I've noticed my oil gets dirtier quicker than before.
    No big deal though,gas miliage about the same when I drive normal, but then again it's hard to take it easy with URD MKII power

4. Nov 6, 2009 at 6:23 AM
    xsvtoyz

xsvtoyz Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    AL
    Oklahoma
    Vehicle:
    03 Pre-Runner Inprogress
    HID (ACA)/ Web cams/ Header/Full Custom exhaust/ K&N FIPK II/SuperCharger
    well with my 3rz the s/c made all the difference in the world. It actually accelerates instead of gather speed and the whine is cool. as far as oil changes go I see no real difference but tires are a different story. I lost about 2 mpg but the smile on my face is worth it. S/C FTW!!!!

5. Nov 9, 2009 at 2:06 PM
    TACOMAJESSE

TACOMAJESSE Well-Known Member

Member:
    GA
    Vehicle:
    05 4X4 tacoma 33's
    TRD short shift,exhaust intake,33" michelins, Urd y pipe Urd supercharge(no longer on)
    You should buy one, as a matter of fact i have mine for sale.. you should buy it... $2900 shipped but mine is a urd one

6. Nov 11, 2009 at 3:23 PM
    Cavender76

Cavender76 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Clint Cavender
    Mobile, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2020 SR5
    Removed Window Sticker
    Not impressed at all I have two friends with them one prerunner and one xrunner and to be honest the boost and power gain is slack.:cool:

7. Nov 11, 2009 at 3:52 PM
    SoCal Tom

SoCal Tom Member Extraordinaire

Member:
    Orange County, CA
    Vehicle:
    2001 Double Cab
    It's not my money so I say go for it.

8. Nov 11, 2009 at 3:58 PM
    Ewang

Ewang E Wang

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    So. Cal
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prerunner TRD Sport
    BFG All-Terrains, 18" Flat Black Incubus Crushers, 3" Spacer life, Flowmaster Super 40 Exhaust, Black Billet Grill, P.A. System, JBL and Kicker sub audio system, HID Lights.
    If you have another car then i'd do it.
    The tacoma could be your play truck.

But if your roadtrippin in that car then it might even be cheaper to fly!

9. Nov 11, 2009 at 5:14 PM
    rossk35

rossk35 Do Work Son!

Member:
    hawaii
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Sport Supercharged
    TRD S/C/TRD Intake/TRD Boost Gauge/DT Headers/OEM TL/ZKW retro/Pioneer DVD w/Ipod/Magnaflow/20% Tint/BHLM/JL 10" sub, JL VR components, JL 450/4 amp/Helwig Sway bar/Viper 791/ 18" limited 4runner rims
    Some of these responses are so funny and aren't even true. People are so quick to say things about the TRD s/c without even knowing the facts about the kit. Its all on TRD's website just have to look.

Gas mileage doesn't really change, but it can depending on the way you drive it. Mine has stayed the same basically.

The changing oil more often is a complete joke not sure where that info is coming from. There is no maintenance with the trd s/c besides changing the snout oil at 100k roughly.

You can get the s/c online for $3700+ shipping and the install cost if you chose to have toyota install it to keep your warranty should be no more then $600. I installed mine then drove it to get the reflash done for $45.

My truck went from 220whp to 315whp after the install of the s/c and smaller pulley.

10. Nov 11, 2009 at 9:22 PM
    todd d

todd d New Member

Member:
    I got my 09 supercharged as soon as the charger was available. I love the extra power. I have not read about this much on here but I use my truck to pull a boat over the Rockies so the extra power has.....show off capabilities. And I like that...not just another little truck I guess.

11. Nov 15, 2009 at 12:00 PM
    Gadget@URD

Gadget@URD Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    Southern Maryland USA
    Vehicle:
    URD Supercharged XRunner

The fastest truck I know of in the 1/4 mile time with the TRD Supercharger is Super Werty at 13.2. We have a customer in Western MD with the same truck that Werty has, white double cab 4x4, but has the original URD Mk1 supercharger kit on it with much less HP thank the MkII and has the very same 1/4 mile time of 13.2.

The price of the URD MkII is no where near $8500. The normal price currently is $5800 that is complete with everything from the upraded fuel fuel pump to the X-1 advanced engine controller.

Here is a dyno chart comparing two XRunners, one mine and one similarly modded to include the X-1, exhaust and higher boost pulley.

scan0001_a20e0022deb5bbaa41ee131fb401ecdec88a4677.jpg

G

12. Nov 15, 2009 at 9:27 PM
    todd d

todd d New Member

Member:
    Thanks for conferming my feelings about my truck..feels good to have power! Do you Know where I can get a boost gauge and mount for my 09 Tacoma 6spd?

13. Nov 21, 2009 at 1:53 PM
    hondalover

hondalover Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Edmonton
    Vehicle:
    09 tacoma trd supercharged
    TRD Supercharged
    beyond all the other opinions here is mine cause I have one. My fuel milege is slightly better when I don't drive it like a retard. On highway driving, it almost never downshifts with the cruise control on(I drive a lot of highway and fairly hilly areas). And every once in a while you end up having to stuff the odd big dog in his full size truck and watch their eyes bug out. For the guy that said it's not that fast, you have to drive one. If you can afford it, do it.

14. Nov 21, 2009 at 7:21 PM
    RussBow6

RussBow6 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Russ
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Black 4x4 TRD OR
    TRD Exhaust, TRD Intake, Grillcraft upper, WO seats
    i'm planning on getting one as soon as i can afford it/ it comes out for the 2010. if that helps at all... ha

15. Nov 30, 2009 at 5:52 AM
    novakills

novakills [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Tampa FL
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prerunner TRD Sport
    TRD CAI, debadged, TRD exhaust, bed d-ring mod, rubber bed mat, 6000K Bi-xenon headlights, 3000K HID foglights, Redline Tuning QuickLIFT PLUS Hood Struts, 2" Toytec AAL w/Bilstein 5100s, 1" aluminum tapered leaf spring spacer, Eibach 1.6" lift coils on Bilstein 5100s set at .85 with Light Racing UCAs, 10% tinted windows, 285/70/17 Toyo Open Country A/T, Pioneer MVH-X560BT,TRD Supercharger, Grillcraft Black MX upper and lower grill, RAAMmat Sound Deadening, Hybrid Audio Technologies Imagine Series I61-2 in rear doors, Hybrid Audio Technolgies Legatia L6 and L1V2 in front doors running through Hybrid Audio Legatia L2X crossovers, JL Audio 13TW5 in a bedlined Mr. Marv enclosure, Zed Audio Leviathan Amp on a bedlined Mr. Marv amp rack, DTLT Exhaust Headers w/O2 simulators, full LED lighting interior and exterior, OEM roof racks

If you don't mind ,, can you please tell me where did you get yours for $3700 ( I guess you are talking about entire kit). I been looking for the last week and all I can find is $3900 from TRD parts4u.

315whp-- you mean at the wheel ???. If so,, the smaller pulley would make a big difference. Do you have any idea of what (max) boost you run now???

Thank you[/quote]

www.toyotaterritory.com

16. Nov 30, 2009 at 7:58 AM
    virgilus11

virgilus11 Well-Known Member

Member:
    kearny, nj
    Vehicle:
    09 sr5
    TRD supercharger,EMU 884 springs, 90000 shocks, air bags rear and TSB with EMU shocks, grillcraft mesh, Relentless front bumper,Armology rear bumper, byxenon hid's retro ,undercover lid with bike rack on top, Kenwood dnx9140,TRD cover seats
    Thank's for fixing that Novakills

Re. power and oil changes.

I had a 97 4 Runner-6 speed manual. With first gen superchargers. I put 130 K's with no problem at all. I replaced the oil every 5k's with mobil1 an use super only. I and my buddys went two time to Daytona with our motorcycles. His truck, an GMC 1500 5.3l engine and both carying the same 8x12 uhaul trailer (four guy, four bikes). At any time,any speed I could take him. Regardless of the speed or load that little truck would show him the tail. I see some guy's are are talking based on what they heard or see. I, all ready owned one and I am talking based on my experience with. Don't forget ,, it is equiped with a bypass valve. If you like to be economic,,, you can still be. I know some guys will argue that ,,, if you want more power you should get a Tundra. Hwo wants to drive a Bus. If you want more comfort ,, yes. That truck can't even fit in some parking lots. IF YOU CAN AFORD IT ,,??. BUY IT. This should have been an option Toyota should offer from the start.

17. Nov 30, 2009 at 8:50 AM
    XrunnIT

XrunnIT Well-Known Member

Member:
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    1GR-GZE X-Runner
    Built Motor by LC Engineering Boosted by TRD
    For the OP.... Boost > N/A!!!!!!!!

Regardless of what route you go, it will make the vehicle very fun to drive.

Call me a hater if you want. But understand, that you are calling me a hater because I ask for proof. But in regards to the TRD vs URD. Lets compare two dynos that are actually similar in mods. I chose to use the torque dyno, as the torque curve will tell you how the vehicle will perform.

Manufacturer's URD MKII Stage III on race gas - 422hp & 379rwtq (haven't seen any production kits on customer vehicles make this much)
    [​IMG]

TRD S/C making similar boost with e85 (rather then race gas) - 388rwhp & 404rwtq
    Xrunnerdyno_e7b4c99f7f1a3a549e61eb3c8097094bd8ea67ea.jpg

Does anybody have any proof of this???

On all the forums I hear how much better the MKII kit is, how it makes so much more power, how its so much faster, but I haven't seen any details supporting the claims, just "it feels faster".

If I was convinced that the URD was actually the faster and more powerful of the two kits, I would most likely switch, as I have a need for speed. :D

Let's clear up some inaccuracy with this post.

There is a BIG difference between 'fastest' and 'quickest'. Just because you can launch off the line hard, doesn't mean the truck fast. Good traction does not equal fast.

Super Werty is the 2nd QUICKEST 1GR tacoma (that has proof), behind a twin turbo XR. Though he is the quickest S/C 1GR driven tacoma. But he isn't anywhere close to being the FASTEST.

People get too hung up on ET times. The tacoma isn't a drag racing vehicle. 1/4 Mile ETs is a stupid way to try and measure the performance of a vehicle and/or mods.

I know Gadget had ran his truck at an 1/8 mile strip, but because of a traction related reasons, he didn't post up good ETs. Does that mean his truck is slow? Absolutely not, ETs are poor representation of vehicle power. I know for sure his truck is fast, but the ETs don't represent that. And that applies for almost all of the X-Runners out there.

18. Nov 30, 2009 at 8:57 AM
    DeathShadow

DeathShadow Member

Member:
    Since everyone is just throwing their dyno graphs up, I thought id share mine.

This is about as official & legit as it gets people, its clear that im the fastest - just read the graph:

TRD FTW

[​IMG]

19. Nov 30, 2009 at 5:58 PM
    rossk35

rossk35 Do Work Son!

Member:
    hawaii
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Sport Supercharged
    TRD S/C/TRD Intake/TRD Boost Gauge/DT Headers/OEM TL/ZKW retro/Pioneer DVD w/Ipod/Magnaflow/20% Tint/BHLM/JL 10" sub, JL VR components, JL 450/4 amp/Helwig Sway bar/Viper 791/ 18" limited 4runner rims
    Wow your so not funny.:sorry:

20. Nov 30, 2009 at 6:04 PM
    ktmrider

ktmrider Senior Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 DCLB 4x4 Sport S/C
    Junk
    ^^ yea did you draw that yourself:ohsnap:

Products Discussed in

To Top