1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tampa Bay Area Tacomas BS Thread

Discussion in 'Florida' started by Taco No Baka, Feb 9, 2013.

1. May 28, 2018 at 8:34 PM
    spooots

spooots Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport 4wd DCLB
    None yet but shopping now!
    I hate what I’m about to say LOL but 2.5-3 is more lift than I need. (Uh that hurt to say :facepalm:)I’m only doing 885’s in the front so 2.5-3 would give me more rake than I’d want. Going with taller springs would require UCA’s and I can’t do that right now b/c I’m trying to squeeze in a set of wheels also. GL with the sale though.

2. May 28, 2018 at 8:55 PM
    Taco No Baka

Taco No Baka [OP] Interco Tire Snob

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    1998 SR5 Xtra Cab 4WD V6 Spartan Package
    OME 3" lift with Dakar rear leaves and 883 front coils. 36x12.50 Super Swamper TSL/SXs on Pro Comp Series 97 15x8 Steelies, Bud Built Front Skid, 4xI rock sliders, 4.88s and an Eaton True Trac LSD up front, 4.88s and a Detroit Locker in the rear, LED cab clearance lights, Sway Bar Delete, Rear Diff Breather Mod, Autometer Monster Tach, Cobra 25LTD Classic, Roof-mounted 3' Firestik Firefly, Garmin GPS, HiLift Jack, Flush-mount LED pod lights in rear bumper, 28" light bar in the front bumper, rear shock relocation (Ruff Stuff brackets), u-bolt flip with Ruff Stuff Anti-wrap perches, CBI rear frame reinforcements, 10" travel Bilstein 5125 rear shocks, heavy duty front crossmember made by Allenfab, Rear shock mounts/crossmember (for upper mounts), spring perches, frame plates, and front crossmember welded in by Allenfab, CBI Ditch Light Brackets, Ditch Light Pods. AllenFab Custom Hybrid front bumper and recovery points. Drivetrain lifted 2" in conjunction with a 2" BL. Modified Trail Gear transmission crossmember/skid. Warn Xeon 10K winch. Large left side body mod.
    If that's going to be too much lift for you, I think I'd recommend not messing with the rear end at all. If 2.5" would give you too much rake, then you're basically doing a leveling kit. The truck should sit pretty level just doing the front. I'd suggest just doing the front and if you don't like the way it sits, then worry about the back. I can't believe I'm going to recommend this given my hatred of blocks, but if you needed a little more in the back maybe try a 1" lift block with a Ubolt flip kit (From Ruff Stuff Specialties). A 1" block shouldn't give you too much axle wrap since you're clearly not looking to run 33s and it will give you a softer ride than an AAL, although I don't know of any AAL that will give you less than 2.5" anyway.

Edit: if you did need a little more in the back, I think I'd try a set of Bilstein 5125s before I did anything else. The gas charge in them might be just enough to bring the rear up some.

When I relocated my shock mounts, I had one busted OME Nitrocharger on the back and the rear was sagging quite a bit. After welding a set of Ruff Stuff anti-wrap perches, relocating my shock mounts, and going to 10" travel 5125s The truck is now sitting level again. whether that's the result of having spring perches that are twice as long as the stock ones, or the result of the 5125s, I don't know, but I think it's the 5125s because they were a lot harder to compress to get lined up with the mounting bolts than the nitrochargers were. I did the Nitrochargers by hand, but I had to use a ratchet strap on the 5125s. The end result though is my rear suspension works ALOT better than it did with just the Nitrochargers.

Last edited: May 28, 2018
  3. May 28, 2018 at 10:06 PM
    spooots

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport 4wd DCLB
    I should be sleeping right but I’m not tired, guess it was all that relaxing I did this weekend. Anyhoo, I was gonna do the 3 leaf progressive from Headstrong b/c Maria told me that the combo of the AAL and removing my overload would give me a 1.5” lift in the rear (2” w/the overload) so that should put me about an inch (+/-) higher in the rear than the front with the 885’s if I am correct. I don’t load the back down enough to be concerned about removing the overload and don’t see myself loading it that much in the future (I don’t think) to be an issue. I could be wrong with what I have going on in my head but that was what I was thinking. Stock measurements are 19 7/8” in the front (both sides) and DR 22 1/4 and PR 22 1/8” (struck me weird that the driver side sat a bit higher, measured twice) fender to hub center. Soooo 2.5 in the front (if I get true 2.5, I’ve read that people got less after settling) would put me at just under 22 1/2 front and 1.5 in the rear would put me at 23 3/4”, 1 1/4” rake. Full leaf pack would increase the rake to 2-3”. That is it, all that typing made me tired LOL. I appreciate all the help and advice from you guys! If any part of this is incorrect please tell me. I spent yrs lowering trucks (I know, I know....you don’t lower a truck LOL) so still learning about lifting them. Always open to learning! Hope you guys have a great night!

4. May 28, 2018 at 10:21 PM
    spooots

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport 4wd DCLB
    Thinking more about the 1” block........I posted that ridiculously long msg to say that I was thinking about the AAL with overload removed b/c I’m not a huge fan of blocks either. The overall lift from the AAL and the block would be about the same and the block would be a lot cheaper and easier. like you said, a 1” shouldn’t be bad as far as wrap goes and I would sit almost dead level with the block. I can always swap the back out later if I am not happy with the block. May have to consider that. Tired, delirious, rambling and prob. not making much sense just can’t stop thinking about the truck.

TacoTRD78 likes this.
  5. May 28, 2018 at 10:35 PM
    Taco No Baka

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    OME 3" lift with Dakar rear leaves and 883 front coils. 36x12.50 Super Swamper TSL/SXs on Pro Comp Series 97 15x8 Steelies, Bud Built Front Skid, 4xI rock sliders, 4.88s and an Eaton True Trac LSD up front, 4.88s and a Detroit Locker in the rear, LED cab clearance lights, Sway Bar Delete, Rear Diff Breather Mod, Autometer Monster Tach, Cobra 25LTD Classic, Roof-mounted 3' Firestik Firefly, Garmin GPS, HiLift Jack, Flush-mount LED pod lights in rear bumper, 28" light bar in the front bumper, rear shock relocation (Ruff Stuff brackets), u-bolt flip with Ruff Stuff Anti-wrap perches, CBI rear frame reinforcements, 10" travel Bilstein 5125 rear shocks, heavy duty front crossmember made by Allenfab, Rear shock mounts/crossmember (for upper mounts), spring perches, frame plates, and front crossmember welded in by Allenfab, CBI Ditch Light Brackets, Ditch Light Pods. AllenFab Custom Hybrid front bumper and recovery points. Drivetrain lifted 2" in conjunction with a 2" BL. Modified Trail Gear transmission crossmember/skid. Warn Xeon 10K winch. Large left side body mod.
    I get what you're saying. I still stand by my recommendation. Do the front, don't mess with the rear. Any AAL, progressive or not is going to stiffen your ride. It the nature of the beast, forcing your stock springs into a deeper arch. I would say try what I suggested and if you aren't happy with it, you can always go with Headstrong's AAL. As for overloads...well, my Dakars have a two leaf progressive overload system. with all the crap I carry in the back in the toolbox, the HiLift jack, and my spare, I'm usually sitting on the first overload spring. The second, I usually have a bit to go before I hit those, but they don't keep me from hitting my bump stops. The APs don't have overloads at all but they do have an antiwrap spring.

IMG_20180511_114823738_HDR.jpg IMG_20180511_114839084_HDR.jpg

6. May 29, 2018 at 3:30 AM
    spooots

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport 4wd DCLB
    Sounds good. I really appreciate all the help and advice Lee! I’ll lift the front and see how it goes. That thing is awesome btw.

7. May 29, 2018 at 9:26 AM
    Taco No Baka

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    I know how that goes. I was doing the same thing the other night trying to figure out how I could get clearance for 35s without welding sheetmetal tubs in my firewall (I'm not that good at welding and my goto guy for that "politely declined" because he hates welding sheet metal and exhausts). I was honestly considering a 12 lb sledge hammer as a solution (and still am actually, haha).

Ya velcome and thanks! :thumbsup:

8. Jun 15, 2018 at 11:35 AM
    BKJ0E

BKJ0E Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Pro Cement
    2"/1.5" Suspreme Suspension Lift on TRD Pro 16x8 SCS BR6 285/75/16 BFG KO2 Baja Designs Squadron Sport Fogs
    Hey what’s goin on everyone? I’m in the area for the next week and got some free time over the weekend. Just wondering if there’s any good trails around I could take the Pro out to. I’m stayin in Oldsmar right now.

Also down for a meet if anyone’s free tomorrow and any good outdoor shops in the area? Thanks!

9. Jun 15, 2018 at 11:42 AM
    Taco No Baka

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    :wave:

There's a trail ride planned for tomorrow if you aren't afraid of mud and a lot of water, although if the place is too wet and scares the crap out of a majority of us, our plan B is to head up to Ocala National Forest and ride the trails up there which are mostly sand. You're welcome to join us if you like...

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/richloam-wma-info-meet-thread.295606/

10. Jun 28, 2018 at 8:25 AM
    shanalan

shanalan Well-Known Member

Member:
    Apollo Beach, FL
    Vehicle:
    '13 MGM DCLB PR
    Bilstein 5100's all around, front@1.75" BFG Rugged Trail 265/75/16 Blacked out badges Anytime fogs UNI filter mod Redline Quicklift Hood Struts
    Would anyone be interested in a mountain biking meet? Maybe at alafia state park?

kaijac03 likes this.
  11. Jun 28, 2018 at 8:29 AM
    Ulfr

Ulfr Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    2019 DCSB 4x4 Manual
    I'm down, I ride Alafia all the time!

kaijac03 likes this.
  12. Jun 28, 2018 at 5:28 PM
    Killintaco

Killintaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Tampa, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tacoma SR5 Double Cab
    Hello everybody! Just moved to Florida from California.

Scooter WCT likes this.
  13. Jun 28, 2018 at 5:39 PM
    Taco No Baka

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    :wave:

Welcome to the swamp. :wink:

14. Jun 28, 2018 at 5:39 PM
    catastrofe

catastrofe Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Montrose, CO
    Vehicle:
    2022 F350 Tremor
    Welcome to the area and welcome to TW!

15. Jun 28, 2018 at 7:13 PM
    Killintaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Tampa, Florida
    Vehicle:
    Thanks guys! This place is definitely a change from California.
    I miss the mountains for mountain bike riding and wheelin through the forest.

16. Jun 28, 2018 at 7:15 PM
    Ulfr

Ulfr Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    2019 DCSB 4x4 Manual
    What part of Cali?

17. Jun 28, 2018 at 7:21 PM
    Killintaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Tampa, Florida
    Vehicle:
    Southern California, Orange County area.

18. Jun 28, 2018 at 7:25 PM
    Taco No Baka

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    Well, we don't have much technical wheeling here, but we do have wheeling meets, trail riding through the forest. It's probably pretty lame compared to the west coast admittedly unless you like mud and water. Both can get very intense.

Fun from our last ride...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQLc8QWtu5I&t=0s&index=2&list=PLMZVa3vsCvMRU7qfgiIgiq9_cy0EV-eMa

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZARkpc51G_4&t=0s&index=4&list=PLMZVa3vsCvMRU7qfgiIgiq9_cy0EV-eMa

Some of us take out of state trips as well. I think they're going to try to do Moab this year.

Trd sport tacoma likes this.
  19. Jun 28, 2018 at 8:20 PM
    Killintaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Tampa, Florida
    Vehicle:
    Nice, can't wait. Anyone near Clearwater area?

20. Jun 29, 2018 at 3:22 AM
    Ulfr

Ulfr Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    2019 DCSB 4x4 Manual
    I used to live in Burbank! I miss SoCal, but too expensive!

To Top