1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tampa Bay Area Tacomas BS Thread

Discussion in 'Florida' started by Taco No Baka, Feb 9, 2013.

1. Dec 14, 2018 at 6:35 PM
    Strictlytoyz

Strictlytoyz Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Charles
    HA\/\/AII
    Vehicle:
    07 Double Cab
    Anyone in the area own a legit spring compressor. like say maybe a branick 7600 or something? Im swapping the coils on my coilovers and planned on going to a shop in the morning that I have access to a branick 7200 but idk if that model is capable of compressing these 650# coils enough

2. Dec 14, 2018 at 6:52 PM
    Taco No Baka

Taco No Baka [OP] Interco Tire Snob

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    1998 SR5 Xtra Cab 4WD V6 Spartan Package
    OME 3" lift with Dakar rear leaves and 883 front coils. 36x12.50 Super Swamper TSL/SXs on Pro Comp Series 97 15x8 Steelies, Bud Built Front Skid, 4xI rock sliders, 4.88s and an Eaton True Trac LSD up front, 4.88s and a Detroit Locker in the rear, LED cab clearance lights, Sway Bar Delete, Rear Diff Breather Mod, Autometer Monster Tach, Cobra 25LTD Classic, Roof-mounted 3' Firestik Firefly, Garmin GPS, HiLift Jack, Flush-mount LED pod lights in rear bumper, 28" light bar in the front bumper, rear shock relocation (Ruff Stuff brackets), u-bolt flip with Ruff Stuff Anti-wrap perches, CBI rear frame reinforcements, 10" travel Bilstein 5125 rear shocks, heavy duty front crossmember made by Allenfab, Rear shock mounts/crossmember (for upper mounts), spring perches, frame plates, and front crossmember welded in by Allenfab, CBI Ditch Light Brackets, Ditch Light Pods. AllenFab Custom Hybrid front bumper and recovery points. Drivetrain lifted 2" in conjunction with a 2" BL. Modified Trail Gear transmission crossmember/skid. Warn Xeon 10K winch. Large left side body mod.
    You could do what @Hugopreston did and take the top hats off the shock with weight on the truck, then jack it up, remove the shock and spring, put the new spring on the shock and jack the LCA up while lining the shock up with the top hat. Otherwise, I don't know anyone with a ligit compressor.

3. Dec 14, 2018 at 7:13 PM
    Strictlytoyz

Member:
    First Name:
    Charles
    HA\/\/AII
    Vehicle:
    07 Double Cab
    im running kings. The coils get dropped out the bottom of the coilover, although I have seen that method done. pretty neat. I need to compress the spring enough to pull out the piece circled in red

images.jpg

Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
  4. Dec 14, 2018 at 7:49 PM
    Taco No Baka

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    OME 3" lift with Dakar rear leaves and 883 front coils. 36x12.50 Super Swamper TSL/SXs on Pro Comp Series 97 15x8 Steelies, Bud Built Front Skid, 4xI rock sliders, 4.88s and an Eaton True Trac LSD up front, 4.88s and a Detroit Locker in the rear, LED cab clearance lights, Sway Bar Delete, Rear Diff Breather Mod, Autometer Monster Tach, Cobra 25LTD Classic, Roof-mounted 3' Firestik Firefly, Garmin GPS, HiLift Jack, Flush-mount LED pod lights in rear bumper, 28" light bar in the front bumper, rear shock relocation (Ruff Stuff brackets), u-bolt flip with Ruff Stuff Anti-wrap perches, CBI rear frame reinforcements, 10" travel Bilstein 5125 rear shocks, heavy duty front crossmember made by Allenfab, Rear shock mounts/crossmember (for upper mounts), spring perches, frame plates, and front crossmember welded in by Allenfab, CBI Ditch Light Brackets, Ditch Light Pods. AllenFab Custom Hybrid front bumper and recovery points. Drivetrain lifted 2" in conjunction with a 2" BL. Modified Trail Gear transmission crossmember/skid. Warn Xeon 10K winch. Large left side body mod.
    Rgr that. That high dollar crap sure makes things complicated, haha.

5. Dec 14, 2018 at 7:54 PM
    Strictlytoyz

Member:
    First Name:
    Charles
    HA\/\/AII
    Vehicle:
    07 Double Cab
    tell me about it

6. Dec 14, 2018 at 8:03 PM
    Taco No Baka

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    I wonder if you could use an arbor press to compress the spring, then remove the bottom piece and release the tension?

7. Dec 14, 2018 at 8:20 PM
    Taco No Baka

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    The OGT kicked a fault code today for the first time since I've owned her...well, besides the time the airbox broke and she sucked in a bunch of leaves and pine needles in the rain at Croom, but she only kicked the code because I had to unplug the MAF sensor to put her in limp home mode. Anyway, it seems what I was fearing has come to pass. I may have to replace the FWD O2 sensor because the transmission snagged the wire coming out and stretched it tight...too tight apparently...before I noticed it. Anyway, I cleared the code and if it repeats, which I suspect it will, I guess I'll be replacing the sensor and hopefully that will be the extent of it, because I really don't want to go running down a loose or broken wire somewhere.

8. Dec 14, 2018 at 8:26 PM
    Strictlytoyz

Member:
    First Name:
    Charles
    HA\/\/AII
    Vehicle:
    07 Double Cab
    Maybe Idk? I'll try out the spring compressor at the hobby shop on base. Hopefully it works

Just had to do this the other day. Had to replace both upstream amd downstream sensors in bank 2. Light been off since thankfully.

9. Dec 14, 2018 at 8:32 PM
    Taco No Baka

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    IDK if they are the original sensors. Kinda doubt it, but it should be interesting. The studs look plenty corroded. Gonna hit them with a wire wheel, the perform a little test. Liquid Wrench penetrating oil on one and ATF/Acetone on the other and see which comes loose easier. Should be a good time.

10. Dec 14, 2018 at 8:38 PM
    Strictlytoyz

Member:
    First Name:
    Charles
    HA\/\/AII
    Vehicle:
    07 Double Cab
    Yeah mine looked pretty rusted. Was scared i was gonna strip them out or round them out or something.Sprayed them twice a day for a week straight with atf/acetone mix and they suprisingly broke free no issue. My fwd sensor was a pain in the ass to get to. Took me a while to find the sweet spot under my truck that i could finagle my arm and a wrench through.

11. Dec 14, 2018 at 8:50 PM
    Taco No Baka

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    2nd Gen problems, haha. I only have two and they are pretty accessible. The plug on the front one might be a different story though. It might be on top of the transmission and I might have to take the shifter boots back off to get to it, but we'll see.

12. Dec 14, 2018 at 8:58 PM
    Strictlytoyz

Member:
    First Name:
    Charles
    HA\/\/AII
    Vehicle:
    07 Double Cab
    Engineers I tell ya. My fwd sensor was literally behind the motor with the tiniest bit of room to get back there and unplug the harness and uns rew it

13. Dec 14, 2018 at 9:03 PM
    Taco No Baka

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    At Delta, they used to make the engineers take a sheet metal class with the newbee techs and probably some other aircraft work so they would be conscious of what they were asking the techs to do when they designed a repair. I always thought that was very cool.

14. Dec 14, 2018 at 9:05 PM
    Strictlytoyz

Member:
    First Name:
    Charles
    HA\/\/AII
    Vehicle:
    07 Double Cab
    You dont even know how many time while working on airplanes i wish the engineer was there to see the hell they put us through getting to and replacing some of the parts. Blows my mind, like why were you thinking

15. Dec 14, 2018 at 9:12 PM
    Taco No Baka

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    Yeah, I got that feeling a lot too about the Boeing engineers. Not so much with the MD88s, which was the primary airframe I worked with for most of my time at Delta, but when we had to do a 737-200, 300, or 800, there was always something that was impossible to get to, but we had to get to it anyway. The Mad Dogs were definitely more maintenance friendly.

16. Dec 14, 2018 at 9:19 PM
    Strictlytoyz

Member:
    First Name:
    Charles
    HA\/\/AII
    Vehicle:
    07 Double Cab
    Ive only ever worked on the KC-135 which is a Boeing 707 and learned my job on a T-38. The 135's are so damn ancient they come back broken after almost every flight. Assuming you've got your A&P license?

17. Dec 15, 2018 at 3:50 AM
    Taco No Baka

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    Yes, Sir I do. I started with Delta doing heavy overhauls on 727s. I was on the cabin crew though, which had it's craptastic moments (removing and installing the insulation and the lavs :puke:), but overall wasn't that hard.

18. Dec 15, 2018 at 2:12 PM
    Strictlytoyz

Member:
    First Name:
    Charles
    HA\/\/AII
    Vehicle:
    07 Double Cab
    Nice. I was thinking of pursuing an A&P and countinue to work on aircraft when I get out of the military. On another note the coil swap went well and the truck rides sooooo much better. Wasnt expecting that much of a difference. Heres some before and after photos of the preload I have on my coilovers with the same lift height achieved

600#

Screenshot_2018-12-15-18-25-35~2.jpg

650#

1215181815a.jpg

Last edited: Dec 15, 2018
  19. Dec 15, 2018 at 6:54 PM
    Victory

Victory Well-Known Member

Member:
    St. Pete, FL
    Vehicle:
    2016 White Tacoma TRD Off Road
  20. Dec 17, 2018 at 7:47 AM
    Scooter WCT

Scooter WCT Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Wesley Chapel, FL.
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB TRD Sport 4x4 w/ 6speed Manual
    3" Lift using Bilstein 5100 Height Adjustable front shocks and complete rear Old Man Emu Dakar springs from Toytec, 17" 4Runner TRD Pro Series w/ 32" BF ATs, Tint and much more to come
    Soul Surfer and Victory[QUOTED] like this.
To Top