1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tank Average Fuel Economy Reset

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016+)' started by dman100, Feb 13, 2018 at 8:12 AM.

1. Feb 13, 2018 at 8:12 AM
    dman100

dman100 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central Coast, California
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD OR DCSB
    I had my trip odometer and cumulative fuel economy reset many times, before getting my “combination meter” replaced under warranty per TSB whatever. No recurrence in the last 8-10K miles since replacement. However, last night, about 60 miles into a full tank, with a tank average of about 18 mpg the last time I had looked, the Tank Average Fuel Economy reset to zero. I’m not sure when it happened, I had parked at a friend’s cabin on Sunday and didn’t drive for a day. Last night, when I left, I had to do a multi-point U turn on a pretty steep hill to get out, and I suddenly noticed the tank average was reading about 0.3 mpg after about 2 minutes of maneuvering. As soon as I started driving, it climbed up as it usually does after a tank refill, and hit 19 within about 15 miles, as expected. No glitches for the rest of the 100+ miles home. The miles to empty and cumulative mpg (which I haven’t reset for thousands of miles) etc did not change ... only the tank average economy. So different symptoms than the previous bad combo meter.

Could the stop/start/turn/sidehill/slope, on a nearly full tank, have fooled the level sensor and trip computer software it into thinking it it had been filled up? I had driven 60 miles at about 18 mpg, so the tank was over 3 gallons from full. The slopes were very mild compared to a trail situation, but perhaps steeper than I have typically encountered with a nearly full tank (not many trails close to gas stations here). Or could this be yet another infotainment “bug”? TRD OR with premium tech, 2016 with about 45K miles. The fuel gauge has always seemed to work normally.

2. Feb 13, 2018 at 8:44 AM
    EdgeCrusher

EdgeCrusher Well-Known Member

Member:
    Midwest
    Vehicle:
    '16 OR DCSB Loaded
    Probably just a misread of the fuel. It's a computer, it's not perfect. Also just a gadget to sell trucks. Chalk it up to rare glitch and truck on.

Products Discussed in

To Top