1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tapping a fuse in a 2nd gen...

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by MJonesTrumpet, Aug 10, 2010.

1. Aug 10, 2010 at 8:26 AM
    MJonesTrumpet

MJonesTrumpet [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Central PA
    Ok, so I have an after market set of fog lights, and wired a factory switch to them. I currently have the wire to power the LED to that switch tapped to the 7.5 amp aux fuse in the inside fuse box. I just got all the parts to do an illuminated 4x4 switch, and was following all the directions. I'm currently at the part where they want you to splice into the wires for A/C controls...I'm not big on splicing into factory wires. I did however, like the fact that when you do splice them, the leds are dim-able and only come on when you turn your head lights on. That got me thinking. I'd like to wire my fog light switch to something like that too so it only comes on when my head lights are on, and if I dim the interior lights, it dims as well. What I am wondering, is there a fuse I can tap, that will do that, that I can tie in all those wires to power the LEDs so they come on with headlights on, and dim when I dim the interior lights so that I dont have to splice into factory wires? Also on another note: The 4x4 switch has two wires that need to be spliced...are they both to be connected to power, or is one a power (lead) and the other a ground? Thanks so much!:)

2. Aug 10, 2010 at 9:20 AM
    MJonesTrumpet

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Central PA
    anyone know of any fuses that function with the dimming and on and off with headlights?

3. Aug 10, 2010 at 9:22 AM
    aficianado

aficianado Well-Known Member

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab. 4x4, TRD-OR + 2023 TRD off-road.
    back to bone stock.
    wow..in high school..i didnt earn the nickname "Sparky" for nothing. your problem sounds daunting..good luck.

i couldnt install crap without generating a spark..hahaha.

4. Aug 10, 2010 at 9:32 AM
    MJonesTrumpet

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Central PA
    Haha well thanks for the bump. I'm not sure if this is even possible or not...my logic is this. The A/C controls have to have a fuse *somewhere*. And I'd suspect that the fuse would be between the dimming unit (whatever causes that) and the controls. So, in theory, if I were to tap that fuse to power the LEDs for my switches, they too should then follow the same pattern of dimming and coming on when headlights are on etc...at least I hope thats possible. I really hate splicing into the factory wires...but it looks like I may have to. bummer. Anyone else have any experience with this at all?

5. Aug 10, 2010 at 7:47 PM
    MJonesTrumpet

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Central PA
    Anyone?...:confused:

6. May 4, 2015 at 12:17 AM
    tblizzard

tblizzard Well-Known Member

Member:
    Extremely old thread but I'm about to wire up my light bar with a led illuminated switch. The switch will be located at the top left next to the fog light switch, so can i tap into one of those wires to power the led on the switch and if so what color wire? Solid green? I also have a fuse tap, which goes back to the op question. In previous threads, i read someone tapped the taillight fuse socket which powers the led once the lights are on. Anyone with experience with this would help me a great deal, Thanks in advance.

Products Discussed in

To Top