1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tapping Noise from Passenger Dash Speaker (SOLVED)

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by Haikin, Mar 16, 2016.

1. Nov 29, 2016 at 1:35 AM
    OhioTaco68

OhioTaco68 John 3:16

Member:
    Central Ohio
    Vehicle:
    16' Tacoma SR5 4x4 access cab Silver Sky Metallic
    AVS in channel window deflectors Predator steps Tinted front windows De-badged all chrome emblems Matte black tailgate lettering Matte black door badges Silver door sill lettering Weathertech mud guards Tacoma bed mat Interior LED lighting Lamin-X yellow fogs Hyper yellow DRL LED 3rd brake light bulbs CLEARZ 3rd brake light lens LED back up lights Access LITERIDER tonneau cover Console cover w/Toyota logo Hondo radio knobs NeoSupreme seat covers TRD shift knob Toyota Dark Satin Alloy wheels Toyo Open Country AT3 tires Red glovebox lettering Red vent rings/ control knobs Husky all weather mats Toyota bed mat
    Mine just started making this annoying ass rattling from passenger dash speaker .. the drivers side dont do it. ive had 2 other annoying rattles ive fixed in the passenger kick panel and the drivers side access door. Pretty damn annoying when a brand new truck has more rattles than my old 99' Dakota did that i had 16-years

2. Nov 29, 2016 at 4:53 AM
    NoDak

NoDak Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JR
    Minot, ND
    Vehicle:
    16 Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4 Blazing Blue
    in the another thread about this, someone mentioned something just underneath the speaker inside behind the glove box. they ended up taking the whole dash apart to tape up a connector or square box in that area.

OhioTaco68 likes this.
  3. Nov 29, 2016 at 5:45 AM
    OhioTaco68

Member:
    Central Ohio
    Vehicle:
    AVS in channel window deflectors Predator steps Tinted front windows De-badged all chrome emblems Matte black tailgate lettering Matte black door badges Silver door sill lettering Weathertech mud guards Tacoma bed mat Interior LED lighting Lamin-X yellow fogs Hyper yellow DRL LED 3rd brake light bulbs CLEARZ 3rd brake light lens LED back up lights Access LITERIDER tonneau cover Console cover w/Toyota logo Hondo radio knobs NeoSupreme seat covers TRD shift knob Toyota Dark Satin Alloy wheels Toyo Open Country AT3 tires Red glovebox lettering Red vent rings/ control knobs Husky all weather mats Toyota bed mat
    Thanks, i will check that out

4. Nov 29, 2016 at 7:29 AM
    DigitalSensei

DigitalSensei Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texas - DFW Area
    Vehicle:
    2016 4x4 Off Road INFERNO!
    Why is this thread titled "SOLVED"? I've read through numerous home remedies, but no final solution.

5. Nov 29, 2016 at 7:34 AM
    jca1386

jca1386 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Nutmeg
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD OR
    FINAL SOLUTION.....not the best choice of statements LOL

MARK4A3 likes this.
  6. Nov 29, 2016 at 10:22 AM
    FrontRoyalBob

FrontRoyalBob Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Front Royal, Virginia
    Vehicle:
    New 2016 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road
    ESP Lockable Rear Seat Storage, MobTown Lockable Bed Hatches, lots of cool Mobtown products (Rear Bumper, complete set of 1/4" steel skid plates, sliders), Old Man Suspension and a bunch of other practical off-road tools to bulletproof my truck...
    I got rid of the tapping noise on the passenger side of my truck by not letting my wife ride with me...she used to say I drive too fast and don't obey the traffic laws...she would tap her fingernails on the arm rest...quick fix...get rid of the wife...

7. Nov 29, 2016 at 9:03 PM
    Solmimi

Solmimi Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    SolSand
    League City, Tx
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma TSS Double Cab
    6.5" Maxtrac w/ 5100 Billsteins all around
    Ok, trip to the dealer, shop foreman rode with me, showed him this thread and left it. 8 hours later, "come and get it, we're going to have to order a new speaker cover, on back order, thanks for playing...."

Looks like I'll be fixing it myself after all.... :boom:

8. Nov 30, 2016 at 4:06 PM
    chefboyarfeez

chefboyarfeez Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD OR 4x4 DCSB
    I'm currently using the same "wedge some crap in the seam" solution as @NoDak but will add another photo in case it helps anyone. My noise started after some rocky offroading recently. The trail was rough enough that the speaker portion rubbed a mark into the adjacent panel, which turned out to be helpful when I started trying to pinpoint the source of the sound.

FWIW, I'm at 8100 mi with pretty frequent offroading en route to backpacking/canyoneering trips, so I'm kind of surprised it took this long. It probably coincided with temps finally dropping here in AZ.

I thought about shaving it down, but may try putting a bead of black silicone between the panels where the scratch is first.

I'm pushing down on the speaker in the pic below to show the contact point:

IMG_7657.jpg

9. Dec 2, 2016 at 7:38 AM
    TRDPro4x4

TRDPro4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Same issue.. passenger side speaker cover area.

10. Dec 2, 2016 at 10:42 AM
    aMDterp

aMDterp Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Off-Road 4x4 Double Cab Short-bed
    This noise was driving me insane!!! much like everyone else it only happen in cold temperatures (50 degrees and below) and once the truck warmed up it seemed to go away. In the picture attached you can see the contact point ( nearly identical to @chefboyarfeez ). I gave the A pillar a swift hit where the red arrow is in the picture and molding pop into place. I'm not sure if passengers using the handle on the A pillar pulled the plastic molding out or if it was never properly installed but it's been about 5 days now and I haven't heard a peep out of the dash. Fingers crossed that it's now 'solved', hope this is helpful for someone else out there with this same issue.

IMG_1922.jpg

Last edited: Dec 6, 2016
  11. Dec 6, 2016 at 9:06 AM
    kgilly

kgilly Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kurt
    Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCSB SR5 4x4
    Bed cover and Mud flaps, OEM Audio, Super Bump stops, Sumo Springs, Bed Stiffeners, Stryker hood shocks
    Just noticed mine also making a vibrating/buzzing type sound from the right side of dash....must be a bee's hive in there..lol, I will try the felt trick and see if that does it.. I hate taking this thing in for service..

12. Dec 6, 2016 at 9:09 AM
    OhioTaco68

Member:
    Central Ohio
    Vehicle:
    Yesterday i was checking out the A pillar and pushed on it very hard with both hands towards windshield and towards outside passenger side .. when i did i heard a slight snap sound and so far the sound is gone. I drove yesterday and today about 80 miles and never heard the sound ... hope it fixed it

aMDterp[QUOTED] likes this.
  13. Dec 6, 2016 at 10:43 AM
    PJnc284

PJnc284 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Garner, NC
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma TRD Off Road 4x4
    Gave mine a "gentle" tap Friday afternoon. Not sure if it snapped into place but haven't had any noise since. Probably last until someone pulls on the grab handle again.

aMDterp likes this.
  14. Dec 6, 2016 at 5:17 PM
    stoppy

stoppy Member

Member:
    Giving the A pillar a good bash fixed it for me also. Not really a great fix for a new truck!

OhioTaco68 and aMDterp like this.
  15. Dec 6, 2016 at 9:17 PM
    Diablo169

Diablo169 ROKRAPR

Member:
    First Name:
    Max
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Vehicle:
    99’ Bro-Coma’s Revenge 3RZ 345k+
    Stock
    @stoppy

Yeah I tried hitting it, didn't work. I have one rattle right by my left ear, one in the top of the dash above the glove box, and a new one in the passenger door speaker.

16. Dec 7, 2016 at 2:11 PM
    DigitalSensei

DigitalSensei Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texas - DFW Area
    Vehicle:
    2016 4x4 Off Road INFERNO!
    Tried putting pressure on the a pillar. Didn't hear any snapping, but the noise is now reduced but not gone. Amazing how flimsily mounted the a pillar cover is.

17. Dec 8, 2016 at 4:26 PM
    pabloq506

pabloq506 TTC# 262

Member:
    First Name:
    Pablo
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma - MGM
    35's| rDiff + TC + Tran +fDiff Breather relocation | Icon Suspension | Icon UCA's | RCI Skids | RCI Sliders | Prinsu CabRack | Roof lights | bumper Lights | scoop lights | onboard air | air locker front | air locker rear | soft topper | CB | dual CB antennas | astroturf bed | bed tie downs | power distribution | switchpros | SCS wheels | borla exhaust | throttle body | tundra brake kit | roof boxes | roof maxtrax | camco awning | water port | a bunch of other small shit
    That's funny, I thought it might have been dry dirt or mud from a off-roading trip last weekend or maybe the speaker losing its shit. I started hearing the rattling at about 18k miles. Banged on it 5 or 6 times and it stopped, haven't heard it again, I will keep paying attention, specially after reading this thread, lol.

18. Dec 10, 2016 at 8:07 AM
    Murrayb4

Murrayb4 Internet Toyota Tech

Member:
    Downingtown, PA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Blazing Blue TRD Sport DCSB with 3 pedals
    Custom cracked windshield
    Working on a customers vehicle with this right now.

Attached some pictures showing a small nub on the speaker cover lines up perfectly with the mark on the pillar. It is the Top one in the picture.
    I shaved the nub off with a razor and put a small piece of foam insulation in there.

From taking my own one apart three times, I may have warped one of the panels slightly and I no longer hear it, but I think I'll do the same as I just did here anyway.

IMG_1291.jpg
    IMG_1292.jpg

Jukeboxx13 likes this.
  19. Dec 20, 2016 at 8:51 AM
    josefmd

josefmd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Springboro OH
    Vehicle:
    2017 4R TRD Pro Cement. 2023 Tacoma Off-Road Lunar Rock
    I just got done putting a few small pieces of velcro strips(fuzzy side)between speaker cover and the side of pillar. I haven't done a test drive yet to see if has got rid of the tapping sound, but will report back. Thought I would try this before trying to remove speaker cover or the pillar cover.

20. Dec 20, 2016 at 9:56 AM
    odinsbro15

odinsbro15 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    LOS ANGELES CA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Gray Tacoma trd offroad DCSB
    ROUGH COUNTRY FRONT 2 INCH LEVEL KIT, TINT, DIPPED RIMS, DITCH LIGHTS, CUSTOMER REAR FACING LIGHT, INTERIOR MATS
    ben there do that... i had the headliner rattle (they replaced my head liner and it solved it) and now i have the dash rattle

Products Discussed in

To Top