1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Taser question for fellow LEO's.

Discussion in 'Law Enforcement Officers' started by JayDawg, Feb 22, 2013.

1. Feb 22, 2013 at 9:25 PM
    JayDawg

JayDawg [OP] Christian Pastor. Need prayer,have questions? Ask

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Sterling, Co. via San Diego, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 4x4 Access Cab TRD Off Road Package
    4-PIAA 80 Racing Series Off Road Lights, Randy Ellis Design Light Bar, Bilstein 5100 Shocks, Rear Leaf TSB, Mickey Thompson Classic Lock wheels, fog light mod, more to come...
    I think almost all agencies now carry these things. I work for the Colorado Department of Corrections and am Taser qualified but am weighing my options of possibly doing the same line of work in another State either doing regular P.D. work or C.O work. At our department, to be qualified, we only had to dry stun ourselves 3 times and then taking the shot was optional. I chose not only no but heck no! I am curious though what your different departments require to be Taser certified and if it was optional, if you took the shot or if you had to take the shot, share your experience.

2. Feb 23, 2013 at 6:41 AM
    Maticuno

Maticuno Weapon Mechanic

Member:
    California High Deserts
    Vehicle:
    08 DCLB Sport
    Pioneer AVIC-D3, SWI-PS, Sirius Satellite Radio, 2X In-Cab 110V Outlets, Constant Fog Light Mod, Inverter Always 400W Mod, Anti-Pack-Rat-In-Intake Mod, Eibachs on 5100's, 2" Toytec AAL, B.A.M.F Rear Diff Skid, 265/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler Authority tires
    Our department is still rolling them out slowly to different districts on a trial basis. My district doesn't have them yet. From what I understand, though, our routine is they clip the probes to your back in order to simulate being hit with the darts before they shock you.

3. Feb 23, 2013 at 7:41 AM
    TS1980

TS1980 Glocking Tall

Member:
    South Florida
    Vehicle:
    2014 Ram 1500 5.7L
    I took the full 5 second tase, and got shot with the prongs too. It hurts like hell, feels like you're being jackhammered into the ground. But it only lasts for 5 seconds. 14 out of 15 people in my class agreed to be tased. One guy refused. This was like 3 years ago and he still gets his balls busted for not doing it. Most agencies that I know of simply tape the wires to your body instead of shooting you with a cartridge. When I went through the class they wanted everybody to get the "full" experience.

4. Feb 23, 2013 at 1:07 PM
    tigerfan00

tigerfan00 BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Thor

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Dunkin Donuts
    Vehicle:
    02 TRD 4x4
    I rode the full 5 after being hit with the probes when we were issued the Taser x26

We are slowly switching to the Karbon MPID
    http://www.karbonarms.com/content/mpid

We have to drive stun ourselves once with it

5. Feb 23, 2013 at 1:13 PM
    SCConstable

SCConstable Member

Member:
    Carolinas
    Vehicle:
    2010 DCSB 4x4 SR5 TRD
    We had the option. Most took the ride so we could articulate in court why the use of force was escalated to the next level in the event the Taser was taken and attempted to be used on us. Most folks had the leads taped to their back for cost containment reasons. The prong is not the problem... the lightning is.

6. Feb 23, 2013 at 1:25 PM
    taco47001

taco47001 Newborn

Member:
    Aurora, IN
    Vehicle:
    Silver Taco
    3" Lift (Billies 5100 front and back), Toytec springs, All Pro 3" Standard Pack, LR UCA's, Diff Drop, SCS F5's, 265/75/16 Treadwright Wardens, Rear Diff Breather, pinch weld mod, Morimoto Projector retro w/ amber halo's, grey wire mod, Elite front bumper....so far....
    We are given the option. I chose the full ride....why not. I can articulate in court 'based on my training and experience" I had one barb hit me center mass in the back, the other hit low on my belt. The barb in my back...no pain after the fact. The barb in my belt...left a contact burn as it still will arc...which caused a burn. Nothing to run to the Dr. about but nonetheless was there. All honesty, I'm glad I did it...it's not that bad....really.

7. Feb 23, 2013 at 2:59 PM
    JayDawg

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Vehicle:
    4-PIAA 80 Racing Series Off Road Lights, Randy Ellis Design Light Bar, Bilstein 5100 Shocks, Rear Leaf TSB, Mickey Thompson Classic Lock wheels, fog light mod, more to come...
    n our training, I have been hot with Fox 5.3 countless number of times, tear gas and other good stuff but I hate electricity. I have been hit with it enough in construction and there is no way I will take the ride. I could deal with the 3 dry stuns because as soon as you activate it, your instinct is to pull away from you and you do but also seeing the few get shot in my class that did, all said the same thing. Never again. That only confirmed even more to me that I don't care if others think I'm a wuss or not.

8. Feb 23, 2013 at 3:03 PM
    95 taco

95 taco Cornfed

Member:
    South Miss.
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4 TRD SR5
    Bilsteins front and rear, front set to 1'' and rear are 9'' 5125's, OMD springs in the rear, CSJumper LED's inside, hard wired inverter.
    a buddy in corrections in LA said his qualify was 3 or 5 second ride (they got to choose) and they shot the probes in not taped.

9. Feb 23, 2013 at 3:08 PM
    maineah

maineah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    This ^ you will be absolutely helpless for several seconds. The darts are like fish hooks and most don't use them on the LEO's

10. Feb 23, 2013 at 10:40 PM
    tigerfan00

tigerfan00 BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Thor

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Dunkin Donuts
    Vehicle:
    02 TRD 4x4
    I didn't think the taser hurt bad at all...OC on the other can kiss my ass

We were given the option with the x26 - drive stun, probes, or leads

The new Karbon we only get 1 option and that's to drive stun yourself...that sucker is BAD! The x26 will not conduct thru my vest but the Karbon certainly will

11. Feb 24, 2013 at 8:54 AM
    Front sight

Front sight Well-Known Member

Member:
    SW Florida
    Vehicle:
    06 Prerunner TRD Sport
    ProComp 3"lift, LR UCA's,Destination 285/70/17's, 1.25 spidertrax, K&N drop in, 2nd filter removed, Dynomax catback, Weathertech liners,Toyota bed mat, Silverstar Ultra's, reverse lights,Wet Oklee's,bedlights and other small stuff.
    In our dept. you have to be qualified with the Taser, or you are out of uniform. If you're coming from somewhere else, you need a video of your certification. That's with us, other depts maybe differant.

I took the full 5, probes and all. It's not that bad. Yes, it hurts, but when it shuts off your done. Unlike OC which lasts for almost an hr, plus got me a second time in the shower. :mad:

12. Feb 24, 2013 at 5:27 PM
    TS1980

TS1980 Glocking Tall

Member:
    South Florida
    Vehicle:
    2014 Ram 1500 5.7L
    Yeah the spray is definitely worse. I dont even carry that stuff I hate it so much. The day I was issued a Taser the spray came off my belt for good.

13. Feb 24, 2013 at 6:51 PM
    JayDawg

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Vehicle:
    The OC doesn't effect me as bad but then again, I am exposed to it almost daily so that may be the reason why. With the taser, I was okay being dry stunned with it but if I have to switch departments I will only go to one where my credentials will transfer over or you don't have to be shot with it or have the probes taped to you. I don't know if it is mental or something else but every time I get hit with electricity, my heart does all of the weird palpitations afterwards and it freaks me out plus I hate getting hit with electricity. I have a huge mangina when it comes to that stuff.

14. Feb 24, 2013 at 7:05 PM
    1stgenpre

1stgenpre Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kathy
    Foothills of NC
    Vehicle:
    2011 Double Cab Sport
    Tint, shorty antenna, custom bedside decals, Weather Tech mats, undercover bed cover, Wet Okole seat covers, TRD shift knob, 3 inch lift, Level 8 MK 6 wheels in matte black, BFG A/Ts in 285, LED bed lights by tacodane.
    The first department I worked for required us to be either taped or the full ride in order to carry it...don't take the ride then you don't carry the tool. Over a year later I got an offer from another department and went to work for them and had to be shot all over again because my new department required it to be video taped....didn't matter that I had a certificate saying I had already been certified. The new department had me lie down on a gym mat with my arms underneath me and look up at the camera and say my name and department then the instructor stood over me and shot me with it. We did not have a choice but to take the full ride here. The first time I chose to be shot as well.

It hurts like a mf-er but its over in 5 seconds. It feels like the longest 5 seconds of your life! Like another member said...pepper spray can kiss my a**...that crap is brutal. If I had to do that over again I would tell them they could keep it.

Best of luck on your decision...looks like every agency is different...but it is only five seconds either way.

15. Feb 24, 2013 at 7:59 PM
    evl21

evl21 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    B
    CNY
    Vehicle:
    TRD OFF ROAD
    Tint,tonneau cover, Wet Okoles, EGR in channel rain gaurds, ATO rear bumper, not enough $$
    I would take 5 seconds over this shit any day of the week and twice on Sundays !!!!!
    [​IMG][/IMG]

16. Feb 24, 2013 at 8:01 PM
    KodiakToyTRD

KodiakToyTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2013 Scion FR-S Whiteout
    This but it was optional, I took the ride.

17. Feb 24, 2013 at 8:05 PM
    evl21

evl21 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    B
    CNY
    Vehicle:
    TRD OFF ROAD
    Tint,tonneau cover, Wet Okoles, EGR in channel rain gaurds, ATO rear bumper, not enough $$
    Yeah it always comes back to bite you in the shower later on!

18. Feb 24, 2013 at 8:06 PM
    95 taco

95 taco Cornfed

Member:
    South Miss.
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4 TRD SR5
    Bilsteins front and rear, front set to 1'' and rear are 9'' 5125's, OMD springs in the rear, CSJumper LED's inside, hard wired inverter.
    ouch, my uncle said that when he went through the academy one of the instructors told them not to take the water when they offer it, he said let it dry, then when you get home get a bunch of soap and slather that on before you shower and the soap helps neutralize the effects of the spray.

19. Feb 25, 2013 at 4:47 AM
    k9cop

k9cop if your not the lead dog, the view never changes

Member:
    First Name:
    Farva
    Floriduh
    Vehicle:
    10 tacoma dbl cab trd off road prerunner
    CST 3.5" spindles, King 2.5 rr ,All Pro Expo's, Ext. Billy 5100's rear, Ext rear All Pro brake lines, LR UCA's, debadged, Cobra 29,2ft firestick, satoshi by jim, ARB front bumper, Smittybuilt xrc8 winch, wethatecs, bhlm also by jimbob, belgium malinois and German Shepherd in bed
    they put the clips on us and gave us the full 5 seconds. hurt like hell but no residual

20. Feb 25, 2013 at 5:25 AM
    Nirvana

Nirvana Long time lurker, first time poster.

Member:
    First Name:
    Kris
    Bay Area, U.S.A
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Off Road 4X4
    Icon ext. travel 2.5RR in front, Icon ext. travel 2.0RR in rear, BuiltRight uniball UCAs, Wheelers Superbumps, Goodridge steel braided brake lines, BruteForce front plate bumper, 285/70R16 KM2s on stock wheels.

Lean over in the shower and squirt baby shampoo straight into your eyes. We get to dunk 3 times then have to air dry or shower. Showering immediately with soap works better every time I've seen it.

Never got tased because of the whole water thing but I'd take OC again if necessary. You gotta wipe some under your eyes every so often to build up your immunity.

To Top