1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tax On Soda and Juice Drinks

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by AvsFanTRD, Oct 11, 2009.

?

Will taxing soda cure obesity?

1. Yes

7 vote(s)
    5.1%
  2. No

124 vote(s)
    90.5%
  3. Maybe

6 vote(s)
    4.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oct 12, 2009 at 5:41 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Re-read my response.

If they NEED to tax something - it should be alcohol, cigarettes, restaurant visits, entertainment, etc.

Soda & Juice drinks aren't a necessity. But what about chips, pretzels, nacho's, chip dip and everything else that aren't necessities? With that theory, they should TAX everything that's not grown in a garden, on a tree, or on a farm.

Soda & juice drinks responsible for obesity? Bullshit!!
    Responsible for cavities...YES. That's all my parents gave us when we were kids was kool-aid because we couldn't afford anything else.

2. Oct 12, 2009 at 6:06 AM
    OU812

OU812 ban the term murdered out

Member:
    First Name:
    danusa
    Kilroy was here
    Vehicle:
    13 DblCab LB 4X4
    Nothing yet, brand new!
    NO MORE TAXES

It has reached near epic proportions. I will take care of family. I do not need the goverments help. The goverment better stay the HELL away from my child.

We have come to the point where we have record taxes levied on nearly every facet of our daily lives.

3. Oct 12, 2009 at 6:34 AM
    Gatoral65

Gatoral65 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alan
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    09 DC SB SR5
    None yet...
    Ugh, no! As many have stated here life style is to blame for the most part.

Long and short of it is why would you give the government the right to tell you "essentially" what you can and cannot eat, yes I know you can still make the choice; but personally I pay enough taxes already.

As for the tax money being used for the positive, what government program doesn't have ungodly wasteful spending, corruption, and general ineffectiveness? It seems to me to be another money grab.

How about we look at giving healthy life styles incentives rather than tax everyone to supposedly help solve the problem?

4. Oct 12, 2009 at 7:06 AM
    bobwilson1977

bobwilson1977 Well-Known Member

Member:
    KaliFORN-I-A
    Vehicle:
    96 Tacoma 2WD ( pizza delivery model)
    none except for crappy hub caps and floor mats.
    In regards to the taxes on Soda, no way will that pass. First of all, putting taxes on food producers- and that includes alcohol- is ridiculous and counterproductive. Perfect example is out here in Cali the state government raised taxes on beer by 10%. I brew a lot of my own beer and I appreciate a good microbrew. Only problem is that these smaller breweries don't have the capacity that all the swill producers have. So guess what happened when they raised taxes? Sales of microbrewed beer dropped like a rock.

You think about it and look at how many small breweries there are just in California. There are over 5,000 independent breweries across the country employing 10's of thousands of Americans. With the drop in sales, these companies are going to lay people off. So instead of solving a problem and trying to raise money by taxes, you will lose all that savings paying unemployment insurance. Its all bullshit.

The same will happen to companies that make soda and other junk. They'll lay people off and probably just make the stuff overseas. That's how it works and that's what will happen. As far as the obesity problem, yeah- it is a big problem in this country, particularly in some chunks of it. When I visit my folks in the South, I worry that the damned plane won't get off the ground because 90% of the people on it are fat Southerners. You look at what most eat, its junk. Absolute processed, sugary junk. So its gonna' take a hell of a lot more than just taking away soda to get people to stop making themselves fat.

If you want to know a better idea, perhaps it would be to incentivize people. Perhaps if you lost more weight, you could get either a tax cut or a tax reduction. Of course people would whine and bitch about this too as government meddling. But it would be better than punishing US business. Let's put it another way: Soda has been around for over 100 years. IN the 1920's people wern't fat. They wern't fat in the 60's either, and compared to even the 80's, Americans were a lot thinner than they are now. So its not soda doing it. The answer is more likely that people sit on their asses and play video games, chat on the internets and text on their phones.

5. Oct 12, 2009 at 7:29 AM
    smallcandle

smallcandle The clown has no penis...

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    South-central Kansas
    Vehicle:
    02 DC TRD SR5 4X4
    Deck plate mod, Maglite console mount, Husky Liners front and back, Black powder coated OEM rims, BF Goodrich All-Terrain KO's 265/75/16, Grillcraft MX black insert, Hella 500FF mounted behind grill
    These types of taxes are NOT meant to cure anything. They are only put in place to generate revenue off of certain consumable items that the government knows that the majority of people will continue to purchase. They don't care nearly as much about your health as they do your dollars. Sad, but clearly true.:mad:

6. Oct 12, 2009 at 7:35 AM
    otter

otter Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    MI
    Vehicle:
    09 4 cyl Reg Cab
    You're only 25. Your use of social services will likely change heavily as you age. ;) Same goes for me, I know I don't use much now, but I know I will down the road.

7. Oct 12, 2009 at 7:38 AM
    NAAC3TACO

NAAC3TACO Middle aged member

Member:
    Just east of crazy, NV
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 DCLB 4x4
    Color matched door handles, Weathertech floor liners, bed mat, Durafit seat covers, tailgate clamp, 2016 TRD Sport 17" wheels with Yokohama Geolander AT tires , Toyota exhaust tip, Toyota/Yakima bike rail mount, Toyota wheel locks, Toyota hitch cover, Redline hood struts, unifilter on air pump.
    Maybe someday the government will remember that lower taxes increase productivity and jobs and high taxes stifle the economy. Look at the states in this country with highest taxes. They are the ones with the biggest budget defecits. Taxing soda is a joke IMO.

8. Oct 12, 2009 at 7:55 AM
    nd

nd Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road 4x4 debadged
    De badged, 5100's, Black Toyota Baja wheels
    i blame my excess fat solely on soda and the fact that its so cheap i cant help but drink it. i hope they raise taxes so i cant buy it anymore and will finally have those washboard abs i've always wanted

9. Oct 12, 2009 at 7:57 AM
    Incognito

Incognito No better friend, no worse enemy

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2012 Pyrite AC TRD OR
    Spacer lift, bumper stickers, ejector seat, etc.
    X100000000000!

This plan of taxing is just a damn way to recover money they frivolously spent already....

10. Oct 12, 2009 at 8:57 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    I make choices now to invest, work towards a pension that includes health care, and keep my self as healthy as possible and be as responsible as I can with my money.
    The less taxes...the better I can do for myself. I'm sure I will use some social services- but no where NEAR 50% of what I make worth...

11. Oct 12, 2009 at 12:37 PM
    rutherk1

rutherk1 ElPhantasmo&TheChickenRunBlastarama

Member:
    Vehicle:
    09 Silver TRD 4door
    Taxing tobacco and alcohol didn't stop people from smoking and drinking.

The govt needs to go back to what they do best, printing money, building roads, and maintaining an army. Let everyone else do what they want.

12. Feb 15, 2010 at 4:45 AM
    AvsFanTRD

AvsFanTRD [OP] Oh gravity, thou art a heartless bitch!

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2008 TRD Off Road Black
    rear suspension TSB, sockmonkey bed decals, weathertech floor liners, TRD seat covers, tailgate pop n lock, rear diff breather relocation, center console lock, Viper Alarm, extra D-rings in bed, 5100's on all 4 corners
  13. Feb 15, 2010 at 4:58 AM
    blackwatertaco

blackwatertaco If you ain't stuck, You ain't tryin hard enough.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Alvin/Pasadena, Tx
    Vehicle:
    08 taco, 4x4 2.7 5spd.
    One fucked up diff. breather mod, 265/75/16 Destiny Dakota M/T Black gulf states rims BHLM Magnaflow 14" muffler with cut off tail pipe. 10" pioneer slim truck sub with JBL 600W amp. PROJECT BLACK OUT
    It's like tabacco...THe goverment raised the taxes, BUt I never quit dipping. Even tho I'd love to.

14. Feb 15, 2010 at 6:06 AM
    Possum Fat

Possum Fat You gonna eat your cornbread?

Member:
    Southeast OK
    Vehicle:
    Caucasion 2010 DC LB 4WD; Magnetic Grey 2015 DCLB TRD Sport
    Even the government wants to pick on the fat kids...

15. Feb 15, 2010 at 6:51 AM
    alpineski26

alpineski26 Active Member

Member:
    Boston
    Vehicle:
    05 SR5 TRD
    Government should provide civil services: roads, police/fire etc, education, utilities, basic healthcare and emergency care.

Why does the government buy milk and throw it away to keep the dairy farmers in business?

Tax in order to fund those things and nothing more. Shouldnt police our lifestyle, or have to provide care in order to correct improper lifestyle choices. If someone wants to eat unhealthy foods their entire life and get diabetes as a result of diet, they should have to pay for the associated medical supplies.

I view that situation as the same as me deciding to ride a motorcycle and have to buy the safety gear that goes with it. Its a lifestyle choice.

16. Feb 15, 2010 at 7:31 AM
    Snipe

Snipe Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pacific NW
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Off Road
    I think we the People should pass a Stupid Tax on the folks of Washington DC, shit the deficit will be gone before the ink dried

17. Feb 15, 2010 at 7:35 AM
    hillbillynwv

hillbillynwv Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fairmont, WV
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma 6MT TRD Pro
    Falken Wildpeak MT 285's
    I read an article in a medical magazine years ago where people write in and "Ask the Doctor" questions. The question was "What is the worst junk food that you can consume". The answer was......soda. I don't drink the shit because I feel bad after I drink it and it doesn't quench my thirst. My wife, drinks at least 2 liters of soda everyday. She complains everyday that she doesn't feel good, I just shake my head at her and tell her to drink some water. Soda is garbage.....drink beer instead.

18. Feb 15, 2010 at 10:11 AM
    tacomakid96

tacomakid96 Lions Not Sheep

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    Out n' about
    Vehicle:
    1996 Tacoma / 2000 4.7 Tundra TRD
    The government is just getting a dime like said before this is just a excuse to put a little extra money in their pockets, if you raise the cost of a pop 30 cents more its not like theres gona be a fat dude going to buy a soda and see the 30 cent price difference and be like holy sh#t $1.40 hell no!! lol its not gona happen

19. Feb 15, 2010 at 10:40 AM
    surfsupl

surfsupl Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gregg
    WestCoast
    Vehicle:
    I DONT CARE IF IT'S A RE-POST
    Rear Diff Breather~ 5100's ~Fog Light Anytime~Tint~TRD Seat Covers~Weather Tech's~Pioneer H.U.~Lift~Eibach Springs~LED's......blah...blah...blah
    Are you serious?............................

20. Feb 15, 2010 at 11:02 AM
    RCBS

RCBS How long you willing to tolerate this crap??

Member:
    Harden your bark, there are storms on the horizon.
    Vehicle:
    Goodbye 06, Hello 21. TRDORDCSBMT
    Tornado intake, Duralube, Fartcan.
    taxing soda to fight obesity is like taxing pron to fight aids.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Products Discussed in

To Top