1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

taxes--married filing joint?? or seperate?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by blake1012, Feb 2, 2009.

1. Feb 2, 2009 at 3:42 PM
    TacoCo

TacoCo Aspiring wrench monkey

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off-Road DC V6 Magnetic Gray
    Snugtop XV Shell, Yakima Rack, AFE Pro Dry Filter, Secondary Air Filter Removed, Michelin AT2's, Partially Debadged, HID conversion, Dynomax Super Turbo Muffler, Rear leaf spring TSB, Foglights always on Mod, URD Short Throw Shifter, Toytec Coilovers on the way!
    I appreciate that... It was just a quick glance on my part at the tables, rough estimation of taxable income jointly and separately... We're closer to the second scenario, where I make quite a bit more, though my wife doesn't have taxes withheld at 2 or her 3 jobs, so that kinda messes things up a bit. I will still likely run them separately to see how it would play out.

2. Feb 2, 2009 at 10:54 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    If you've got time to kill....do it both ways and see how they compare.

It'll probably vary for every situation.

We've always filed jointly. Eventually, life (and taxes) can get more complicated. It's just easier to do it jointly and overall saves.

3. Feb 3, 2009 at 6:53 PM
    ImpulseRed008

ImpulseRed008 Gone But Not Forgotten

Member:
    First Name:
    Susan
    SC
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 V6 w/tow pkg
    OEM SS tube steps, Access LE tonneau cover, pop n'lock, AVS in-channel vent visors, stubby antenna, Wet Okole seat covers, bed mat, rear diff breather mod, 4 extra d rings in bed, K&N air filter.
    Figure your taxes out both ways to see which works out better for you. There is no one way that is best for everyone. It all depends on your situation. There are some exemptions you can only take when filing jointly OR if one of you itemizes, you both have to.

Even if you got married on 31 Dec, you would be considered as married for the whole year.

I used to figure them out both ways for couples and most times, filing jointly worked out better.

Good luck.

4. Feb 3, 2009 at 7:06 PM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    Ive read that if both of yalls incomes are close then file seperatly.
    if one makes alot more than the other like 20k vs.35-40k then its better to file jointly.
    I think there was an article on msn about it

5. Feb 3, 2009 at 7:07 PM
    thebigk

thebigk 6 Double 5 3 2 1

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken....
    Odessa, TX
    Just for shits & giggles I changed my filing status to married filing seperately.

Right now I owe $53 federal.....when I did the change of status................

IT SHOWED I OWE $7127!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Think I'll stick with the joint!
    (for the record I make about double what my wife does)

6. Feb 3, 2009 at 8:12 PM
    mws4ua

mws4ua I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Birmingham
    Vehicle:
    2018 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 4x4... Yeah yeah, I know.
    The so-called Marriage Penalty doesn't exist for most people anymore. In most cases, filing jointly means a lower tax liability than filing separately.

If two married people each make hundreds of thousands of dollars, the differnce between filing jointly or separately can be pretty large. For couples who make 'normal' amounts of money, the difference is either zero, or quite small, even if one person's income is substantially more than the other's.

The attached tables help illustrate how the difference grows at high incomes. Each uses 2008 income tax rates.

• TABLE 1 shows savings by filing Married/Separate for couples who make approximately the same income. As you can see, you save nothing by filing separately until you each earn $75k+. If you're EACH making TONS of money, the savings can be quite a lot.
    • TABLE 2 shows how much you SAVE by filing a JOINT return, assuming income levels are different. In each case, these couples making between $75k combined and $175k combined saved money by filing a joint return.
    • TABLE 3 is similar to the previous one, except that the income for Party 2 is not held constant. As you can see, the savings by filing joint becomes pretty small once the lower wage earner's income reaches about $40k. You'll also see that there is a slight savings when filing separate in the bottom row of the table.
    I think the best idea has already been said... each person should and inclincation, you should run the numbers both ways. I'll bet that most of us will pay less filing jointly, though.

Sometimes it's not all about the money, either. The article I posted in a previous post pointed to qualitative reasons married couples might consider filing separately even if they will owe a little more tax.

Sorry for the brain dump... Like I said before, I'm a CPA so this stuff gets me all excited!

Book1.pdf

7. Feb 4, 2009 at 11:14 AM
    blake1012

blake1012 [OP] Go Braves!

Member:
    First Name:
    Chazz Michael Michaels
    Duluth, GA
    Vehicle:
    2003 ext cab. tacoma.
    8000k HID's, Weathertech Digital Fit floor liners, Rhino Lined bed, 16x8 TRD Ivan Stewart wheels, bull bar, step rails, Redline Tuning hood struts, low profile tool box
    well i appreciate everything....Just got her w2's back so we'll start to check everything.

hope its good!

Products Discussed in

To Top