1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Teachable Moment w/ My Trailer

Discussion in 'Towing' started by SManZ, Jun 15, 2010.

1. Jun 15, 2010 at 12:30 PM
    SManZ

SManZ [OP] Sold the Taco in June 2020

Member:
    Fauquier County, VA
    Vehicle:
    Current, 2020 Ford Super Duty Tremor, Previously 2010 Supercharged 4x4 Tacoma Sport 6-spd
    TRD Supercharger, King 2.5" extended travel remote-resi coilovers, OME Dakar leaf packs, King 2.5" extended travel rear shocks, Total Chaos UCAs, MBRP turndown exhaust, TRD intake, TRD Quickshifter, Goodridge SS brake lines, EBC Sport Rotors, Hawk HPS pads, TRD FJ Cruiser Special Edition 16" Anthracite Rims, Spidertrax wheel spacers, 265/75R16 A/T, Autometer oil pressure, oil temp gauges, TRD boost gauge, PLX DM-100 OBD II scanner, flexpod mounts, A-pillar gauge pods
    A teachable moment I had that I thought I'd share with you all. You guys that have been towing for a while will probably get a laugh out of it, but this is my first trailer.

Last week I finished putting the chock and tie-down points on the deck of my trailer and I loaded up the bike for a little test run. The belly pan and exhaust collectors scraped a little when I loaded it because the angle between the ramp and deck was too steep.

So when I went to unload the bike, I unhitched it from the truck and used the crank to lift up the front end of the trailer so the ramp was more in line with the deck. I backed the bike down and as soon as the rear wheel was at the back of the ramp the front end of the trailer kicked up in the air.

Thankfully, I was on the left side of the bike and it fell towards me and I saved it. I backed it down the rest of the way and the trailer banged back onto the ground. I don't know why I did this, but I had pulled the truck up after I unhitched it so the trailer didn't bash into the tailgage. Just a stroke of luck.

So I learned that trailers like to stay hitched when being loaded/unloaded :eek:

I've got a height adjustable hitch so I can unhitch the trailer, move the hitch up, and rehitch it to load or unload, which I'll be doing from now on! Unless you guys have an easier method!

Here's pics of my trailer and bike;

Trailer1.jpg
    Trailer2.jpg

2. Jun 15, 2010 at 12:33 PM
    Maintenance Man

Maintenance Man Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Atlanta, Ga
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma Pre-runner SR5 2.7L
    Leer camper shell; afe stage ll intake; 265's bridgestone dueler tires; rockford's power series 6.5's; tint on all windows; semi de-badged; weathertech digitial mats; grillcraft grill; blacked out headlights with eyelids; blacked out badges; and more to come.
  3. Jun 15, 2010 at 12:34 PM
    SManZ

Member:
    Fauquier County, VA
    Vehicle:
    Current, 2020 Ford Super Duty Tremor, Previously 2010 Supercharged 4x4 Tacoma Sport 6-spd
    TRD Supercharger, King 2.5" extended travel remote-resi coilovers, OME Dakar leaf packs, King 2.5" extended travel rear shocks, Total Chaos UCAs, MBRP turndown exhaust, TRD intake, TRD Quickshifter, Goodridge SS brake lines, EBC Sport Rotors, Hawk HPS pads, TRD FJ Cruiser Special Edition 16" Anthracite Rims, Spidertrax wheel spacers, 265/75R16 A/T, Autometer oil pressure, oil temp gauges, TRD boost gauge, PLX DM-100 OBD II scanner, flexpod mounts, A-pillar gauge pods
    Hahah I know :eek: I posted to get a ribbing so dish it out guys :p

4. Jun 15, 2010 at 2:11 PM
    Jason'sLawnCare

Jason'sLawnCare Prepared for Bambi

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Jacksonville Florida
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 Double Cab TRD Rugged Trail
    CBI Moab 2.0, CBI Trail Rider 2.0, CBI sliders w/kickout, Superwinch EPi9.0S, OME sport shocks w/886 coils, OME n182, 1.5" aal, JasonBuilt 3/16th full belly skid, BuiltRight uca, Body Mount Chop, 285/75/16 km2's, Rear cat delete, exhaust crossover rerouted, Fog light anytime, Locker mod, Rear leaf tsb, Debadged, Uws Tool Box, Electric Exhaust Cutout, AFE Pro Dry S, Kiwi Wifi, Diff Breather Relocated, Grom Ipod Adapter, Dual Diehard platinum batteries isolated by BlueSea marine switch
    I'm so glad you moved your truck up. That could have been very bad. When I load my mower onto my trailer the rear of the truck lifts a good 2-3 inches but that thing is a tad over 1000 pounds and my trailer is longer.

You live and you learn. About a week ago I was hitching up and knowing my tongue is longer than half my truck I came in from the side because I had a tree behind me and I didn't want to move my truck because my mom need to pull out of the garage in a few minutes. Well when I was getting close to the ball the wheel of the trailer went over a small bump and pushed it into my bedside. I only scratched it to the metal and put a little dent but I was pissed at myself. Moral of the story don't hitch from the side.

5. Jun 15, 2010 at 3:22 PM
    mjp2

mjp2 Living vicariously through myself Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Milton Juevo Portimous II
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    Current: '21 Bronco Badlands. Previous: '06 TRD Access Cab, v6, 6-speed
    ^ that's just awesome. :rofl:

Last time I came back from wheeling it was cold, rainy, and late and I didn't feel like unloading my broken truck from the trailer. I had to go to work the next day so I backed the trailer into the driveway with the Tacoma on it, set the trailer jack, and pulled my tow vehicle forward. No problems there.

Came home from work the next night and decided it was time to pull the Tacoma off the trailer. Backed up the Ford, lowered the trailer onto the tow ball, pulled forward, and shut off the truck.

As I backed the Tacoma off the trailer of course the front flew into the air. I stopped in that position, weighed my options, and decided to just finish what I started. When the trailer dropped it completely missed the tow vehicle and there was no damage anywhere.

I got lucky on that one and I won't forget that latch again. :)

6. Jun 15, 2010 at 5:40 PM
    SManZ

Member:
    Fauquier County, VA
    Vehicle:
    Hahah I'm glad I'm not the only one :p

The world is so large that I'm pretty convinced that whatever stupid things I do, they've already been done and been done better by someone else!

7. Jun 15, 2010 at 9:34 PM
    clarkie152

clarkie152 Well-Known Member

Member:
    MA
    Vehicle:
    2016 4Runner Trail
    LED light swap, TRD wheels, KO2s, C4Fab lo-pro
    haha if you MUST drop the trailer (de-hitch from the tow vehicle) and still need to unload, try using jack stands. I usually put 2 (one on each rear corner) on the bottom of the trailer so it doesnt flip up when i unload.

8. Jun 16, 2010 at 11:08 AM
    aficianado

aficianado Well-Known Member

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab. 4x4, TRD-OR + 2023 TRD off-road.
    back to bone stock.
    DANGER!! all my race car buddies have a floor jack. they jack up the back of the truck, lifting the trailer tongue and all to reduce the approach angle. it doenst take much. even rolling (the trucks back wheels)up on some neatly stacked 2x12's is sometimes enough.

9. Jun 16, 2010 at 11:10 AM
    Andrew H

Andrew H What is this "search" you speak of?

Member:
    Dirty Tucson
    Vehicle:
    2017SSMDCSBTRDS
    live and learn. glad you're okay. i never towed anything so i cant/wont talk shit, not that i would if i have.

10. Jun 16, 2010 at 11:15 AM
    SManZ

Member:
    Fauquier County, VA
    Vehicle:
    Rolling the truck onto ramps doesn't sound like a bad idea but I'm kind of skeptical about moving loads around while the rear end is supported by a floor jack. Have your buddies had any problems with this?

11. Jun 16, 2010 at 11:16 AM
    gonzo6up

gonzo6up Well-Known Member

Member:
    Middle Tn
    Vehicle:
    09 tacoma SR5 4x4 sport
    tint/ vent visors/ seatbelt chime mod/ DTRL Mod

i have done that before or just pull the trailer to a lower spot than the truck. either way the approach angle changes

12. Jun 16, 2010 at 11:29 AM
    65tacodude

65tacodude Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Wade
    Manteno, IL
    Vehicle:
    '18 Tundra Platnium
    OEM running boards and roof rack. Yellow fog bulbs and WeatherTech mats and window visors.
    Cant you just leave it hooked and crank up you landing gear to get some more angle..in essence jacking up your truck with the trailer landing gear?

13. Jun 16, 2010 at 11:32 AM
    aficianado

aficianado Well-Known Member

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab. 4x4, TRD-OR + 2023 TRD off-road.
    back to bone stock.

no issues. at the race track..they just leave it on the ramps. keep in mind. most guys use two 2x12's hammered togther. one side staggered to form a makeshift "ramp". works great.

honestly, in your situation. i would just drop that trailer ramp onto a 4x4, and roll the bike up onto it. it would be significantly easier to take the approach angle out by lifting the trailer ramp, and not the truck.

Products Discussed in

To Top