1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

techy Blistein 5100's multiple questions...

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Elliebarley1978, May 1, 2010.

1. May 1, 2010 at 9:40 AM
    Elliebarley1978

Elliebarley1978 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    canada
    weathertech floor liners, wet okole fronts, leer 100xq cap, trd exhaust
    sorry if the answers are out there everything seems so vauge. thanks for your time .

1- what are the downsides of getting blisteins front and back?opposed to front only or aal in the back 5100s in the front.

2- why do some only get them on the front other then price; are there any problems mechanically you can run into just getting the front? how many inches to level a trd sport with the back?

3-what kind of issues can you run into with running these shocks? do they put stress on other parts of the truck that could void your warranty?

4- Compared to spacers , how do they differ in terms of functionality, wear/ negatiove effects on other components.

2. May 1, 2010 at 9:53 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    1- Your stock shocks are lower quality than the 5100s. If you get other upgraded shocks (OME for instance). NO problem at it. Also- Your stock shocks may not have enuf stroke if you do serious wheeling.

2-You don't need them in all four corners- so you can save a buck or two. I think .85 or the next step up (1.5??) get most folks level depending on if they have done the TSB or anything else.

3- You may end up with vibes or other little quirks- but those are slim when you use them to level. Most likely nothing major.

4- They are better than spacers because they are built to be used this way instead of just being slapped on to the stock shocks.

3. May 1, 2010 at 10:06 AM
    WPTaco

WPTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nige
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    19 D.cab OR, 6 speed, Cavalry blue
    Southern styles bumper and sliders, 6112 lift, OTT tune, pro grill
    I have 5100's all round with the TSB done (I think Canadian Tacoma's might already have the 4 leaf pack???) I tow a pop up and haul building stuff around and the heavier duty shocks give a more truck like ride and A LOT less sag when loaded up. I set the front at 1.75 and with the TSB (which raised the back 3/4 inch) the truck now sits almost level. The rear is 1/4 to 1/2 inch higher.

As for negatives....If you set them higher than 1.75 you may run into issues with CV angles, alignment troubles. I have had no issues with vibes or anything else. That being said I have read here of other people with the same set up having vibrations or other small issues. All trucks are slightly different with how their suspension has settled since new and then have different issues (or none) after adding new shocks, AAL, tires etc.

Hope this helps!

4. May 1, 2010 at 10:26 AM
    kilgoja

kilgoja Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2009 regular cab 4x4 2.7L (silver)
    :mudding:
    1-adding 5100s in the back has nothing to do with aal...they don't raise the rear end at all....the aal does....the are just better shocks than the stock ones

2-people get them front only to level out the truck....you can raise the front with them but not the rear...prolly the .85 setting would level out a prerunner and 1.75 setting levels out a 4x4....the 4x4 sits lower in the front because of the added weight of the front diff

3-these shocks don't do any damage to your truck

4-the ride with these will be way better than a spacer lift

i got the 5100s front and back....i also have OME883 lifting springs up front...i set the 5100s on the 0 setting and i still get 1.75" of lift in the front due to the springs....i didn't raise the back end at all.....i have a reg cab...there is no tsb for the reg cab....the ride is as smooth as stock and the truck handles alot better with less body roll and stuff

emgie likes this.
  5. May 1, 2010 at 11:29 PM
    Elliebarley1978

Member:
    canada
    Why is the front. Lower anyhow. Please give in lehmans terms.

What do u need to to this. Other then the pair of shocks?

What is a rough estimate in price.

Btw thanks for all. Of ur help.

Thanks

6. May 1, 2010 at 11:44 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Skichiiwa , PM Toytec Lifts

OZ

7. May 2, 2010 at 8:25 AM
    WPTaco

WPTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nige
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    19 D.cab OR, 6 speed, Cavalry blue
    Southern styles bumper and sliders, 6112 lift, OTT tune, pro grill
    Toyota (and other truck makers as well) design and produce their trucks with some rake (front lower). Other than shocks there is nothing you need except basic tools and a spring compressor. You can pick up all 4 shocks for around $300 from Toytec or Downsouthmotorsports (I got em from DSMS and they were great to deal with!)

8. May 2, 2010 at 11:47 AM
    Elliebarley1978

Member:
    canada
    So are there any other issues that can arise from the leveling?
    And will I need to make any adjustments after the shocks are on?

9. May 2, 2010 at 4:51 PM
    Elliebarley1978

Member:
    canada
    and why are there so many people adding coils with their 5100s? i don't understand?

"But please take note NO One recommends it to be used in conjunction with after market coils) This may result in damage of your suspension components. "

10. Jun 5, 2010 at 8:09 AM
    Andy2010

Andy2010 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Bucks County, Pa
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Sport Mag Grey 4x4
    EGR inline vent visors, Trimmed front mud flaps, Hose clamp mod, AFE Pro-Dry S air filter, Bed mat off my '97, 5100's up front @1.75, Rear TSB, Tow package, Black TRD center caps, Weathertech Digitals, Wet Okole's in front
    People who use the 5100's with replacement coils are running them on the stock setting, not using it for the lifting. The coils do that.

11. Jul 27, 2014 at 2:18 PM
    weezer

weezer Well-Known Member

Member:
    southeast
    Vehicle:
    tacoma 4x4
    Bilstein 5100 shocks, OME lifting springs, Ivan Stewart 16x8 wheels, AT tires
    the lifting coils make the ride more "stock" like and not as stiff as compressing the stock springs. also you don't loose any spring movement. when you compress the stock springs you loose some of the movement of the spring since it's already compressed before you even hit a bump or rock or whatever. hope that makes sense.

12. Jul 30, 2014 at 7:24 AM
    TacomaPrime

TacomaPrime Cybertronian Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Gregory
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    14 TRD sport 4x4 Barcelona Red
    Weathertech front floor liners, window vent visors. Custom bedside decals. OEM bed mat, tonneau covrew. Added D rings to bed.
    If I want to do 5100's front and rear, do I HAVE to replace the UCA's in the front, or can I just replace the shocks AND reuse the stock springs?

Products Discussed in

To Top