1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Television viewing options

Discussion in 'Technology' started by VirginiaBound, Jul 10, 2011.

1. Jul 10, 2011 at 6:27 PM
    VirginiaBound

VirginiaBound [OP] Whyareyoureadingthis?

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam I am, green eggs and ham
    North of Maine, South of Spain
    You guys were a such a huge help with choosing my television and phone, I can't resist but asking them before dropping money into this issue.

So up until a few months ago we had Dish Network, to make a long story short my fiance didn't pay the bill (it's in her name, my money paying the bill) and it was cut off. I don't even watch television, I was glad to see it cut off. We have used Netflix on our Xbox consoles at each television, all has been fine without it until now.

Big Brother is on, she is desperate to watch it. I'd love to see BB get canceled, or all the cast be taken hostage by the Mafia and never seen again.

So our options are open a cable account in my name. The negative side to this is 45 or 50 a month for one stupid show. If the bill isn't paid and my credit is dropped I'm not going to be a very happy camper.

We have tried 5 different antennas, none of which will pick anything up but the Unc Pbs channel. :rolleyes: My Android app says that we cannot pick the Cbs channel up she needs for BB, it's all the way in Sc.

We could link the computer to the television, they are about 20 feet from each other in separate rooms. Our computer is about a year old, the television is a 50" plasma is about 5 months old. I know I can link them but can't find a cable long enough.

I would preferably do it wireless, but as long as I can get her to shut up until this retarded show is over I will be happy.

Can anyone help me out, have a good way of linking the Television to the Desktop?

2. Jul 10, 2011 at 6:33 PM
    TacoDawgfan

TacoDawgfan Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2011 Silver 4x4 TRD Sport w/JBL
    5100's at 1.75, Rear leaf TSB, Moto Metal 951 16x8, BFG TKO2 265/75/16, AFe Stage 2 CAI w/pro dry filter, Access Loredo tonneau cover, N-Fab steps, Tinted windows, EGR in channel vent visors, Ultragauge, UGA drink coasters in the front cup holders, and a Graco car seat in the back seat
    You can get just the local channels through the cable company for pretty cheap. At least you can here. For that matter I get a feed "free" from Charter because it comes with the signal for the DSL. I have Direct TV but it's nice to have the local feed like that for when it storms and the dish goes out. I love my Direct TV btw, I love it for the HD for my sports, particularly college football.

3. Jul 15, 2011 at 9:57 AM
    Chickenmunga

Chickenmunga Nuggety

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Hillsboro, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad DC 4x4 (read the build)
    I'd assume she could watch it on Hulu. Can she watch it on the computer and not have to stream it to the TV?

If she really demands watching it on the TV, check for the following connections on your computer, listed in order of best choice to worst:

-HDMI: get an HDMI cable which covers audio and video. You can get a 50' cable for about $30. Don't get suckered into spendy cables, a generic cable is the same quality.
    -DisplayPort: I doubt you have this, it's on newer stuff. Looks like a usb or hdmi port. you can use an HDMI cable and get a converter from displayport to HDMI. Same benefits as HDMI (it's actually a higher quality connection, but DisplayPort hasn't been widely adopted yet)
    -D-Sub: check if your TV has a port labeled PC that looks like it would take a monitor cable. If so, it plugs in just like a monitor. Again, about $30 for 50'. You will also need to run audio, depending on setup you might need a converter cord from microphone mini-jack to RCA
    -S-Video: you'll also need audio with this.
    -Composite video: the yellow/red/white RCA wires you've seen from long ago. Your computer would need a yellow RCA plug, and then you'd do the same converter deal for the audio.

You could also explore Apple Airplay. Unfortunately, WiDi is an emerging technology and you'd need to buy both a new laptop and something like a Netgear PTV2000

4. Jul 15, 2011 at 10:14 AM
    Hellomoto

Hellomoto GPV Helicopters inc

Member:
    Cape Canaveral Fl
    Vehicle:
    05 SR5 Black
    6" Pro-comp with 3" body lift SS Side bars. SS Bull bar. Dark glass. HID's
    Big Brother...WTF. Get a can of paint (one gall works best), pop the lid off, then watch as the paint skins over. Much more entertaining.

5. Jul 15, 2011 at 4:09 PM
    VirginiaBound

VirginiaBound [OP] Whyareyoureadingthis?

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam I am, green eggs and ham
    North of Maine, South of Spain

X2! :rolleyes:

We ended up getting the basic cable, she's happy and I have more time for Tw! Woot!

To Top