1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tell me about the tundra.

Discussion in 'Tundras' started by WarDawg, Apr 27, 2018.

1. Apr 27, 2018 at 5:40 PM
    WarDawg

WarDawg [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2009 base 2.7 tacoma
    n/a
    I have been doing my research and it's comes back to the tundra sr5 crew cab 5.7 . I want the running boards and 18 " alloy rims which are partly black . Will do a spray in lined also. I want to wait on a 19 but don't know if I should . Honestly they haven't leaked anything that will be new or different . So might not be anything much . The 5.7 seems to be reliable with its 6 speed tranny. Am I correct about this? Can't find a lot of negatives . Thanks for any, replies . also I don't want no flex fuel engine .
    Wardawg

2. May 7, 2018 at 7:27 PM
    HerculesRockefeller

HerculesRockefeller Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Cement Tundra Double Cab TRD Off Road
    I'll tell you about the Tundra. I just bought one. My previous truck was a 2016 Tacoma TRD Sport; new truck is a Tundra TRD Off Road.

Buy the Tundra. You won't regret it. The only downside is poor gas mileage. Otherwise, it's superior in every way to the Tacoma. So superior, it's almost an apples and oranges situation. I LOVE the Tundra.

camillethetoy and pudge151 like this.
  3. May 17, 2018 at 9:26 AM
    Jh5370

Jh5370 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Eastern WA
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Pro Tundra
    ^^What he said. If you get the TRD Off road package you will get the black and silver alloy wheels you are talking about along with the bilstien shocks. You can add that package to any of the trim levels except platinum. If I were you I wouldn't wait for the 2019. The 19 TRD Pro has been released and it is the same truck as an 18. I would go with an 18 Limited TRD Off road or possibly the TRD sport depending on your personal preference. The 5.7L and 6 speed is a proven combo and has been in the Tundra since 07. There really aren't any negatives aside from gas mileage, but if that was what I was worried about I wouldn't be looking at a truck at all. I would look into your local Line-x installer. It is the same if not better quality than the factory spray in bed liner and comes with a lifetime warranty. Something to think about at least. I know in my area the factory spray liner is a $550 upcharge when ordering a truck, but basic linex is $450 installed. May be different where you are at. As long as you aren't in California you should have no problem getting a non flex fuel truck. If you find a truck and aren't sure just look at the VIN if the fifth digit is a W it is a flex, if it is a Y it is a non flex. You can also look at the gas cap. The non flex fuel truck will have a no E85 symbol on them. If you want more space, more power and still want a Toyota then definitely look into the Tundra. Also check out Tundras.com. There is a TON of information on there about these trucks.

Last edited: May 17, 2018
  4. Jun 17, 2018 at 8:02 AM
    pudge151

pudge151 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra Platinum
    All you need to know is buy a tundra. They are bad ass I'm every way. So much power and space and the drivetrain is very reliable.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
  5. Jun 17, 2018 at 8:16 AM
    gmann1972

gmann1972 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Rhode Island
    Vehicle:
    2013 tacoma SR5 DCSB
    I find one issue with the Tundra compared to other 1/2ton pickups and that is the tow capacity. in the 1/2 ton pick up marker the Tundra is at the bottom of the towing capacity chain. other than that, it is a great truck.

Stig likes this.
  6. Jun 17, 2018 at 8:17 AM
    Tacoaric

Tacoaric Well-Known Member

Member:
    Dallas, Texas
    Vehicle:
    King Ranch F250 Powerstroke

It is an apples to oranges comparison.

Tundra is so outdated it’s not even funny. I don’t see how they sell them honestly

Herniator and Stig like this.
  7. Jun 17, 2018 at 8:28 AM
    pudge151

pudge151 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra Platinum
    Reliability, power, reliability, I would (and do) prefer a truck that will not be in the shop every month and throw codes or go into limp mode, i want a truck that can hold resale, and be dependable.
    New technology isn't all that important to me over owning a truck that will always do what I need to it to do when I need it done.
    The interior is huge and very comfortable. It doesn't lack any specific feature that I need.
    Turbo 4cyl, cylinder deactivation, 15 speed trans. ..they all have their major flaws and if you visit any full size message board other than tundras board, you'll see nothing but problems with trucks that aren't "outdated".

8. Jun 17, 2018 at 8:29 AM
    T-Rex266

T-Rex266 Elon Musk Moderator

Member:
    Love mine.

BassAckwards and pudge151 like this.
  9. Jun 17, 2018 at 8:32 AM
    Stig

Stig Resident smartass

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Vehicle:
    Ta no mo
    Is the tundra better than a Tacoma, sure, the power is much better and gas mileage is far inferior like the Tacoma.

Does it measure up to the rest of the 1500 offerings from other manufacturers? No, unless you are solely going off resale and "dependability". But you're giving up innovation to get that "same junk for 15 years" dependability.

Only perks i like about the tundra is resale value and roll down back window, And radar cruise control. If you get an older one, it might not be as bad, but paying $46k or so for a 2018 truck that is essentially stuck back in 2005 as far as luxuries, technology, innovation...it's not worth it to me.

Gas mileage is bottom of the barrel, towing is good if you add air bags to get it to tow up to the max rating without being on bump stops. Dash/steering wheel controls are one of the huge dated items that are clearly afterthoughts and are not intuitive at all. Lots of storage room in the center console, but it's just one huge wasted vat instead of a double compartment like most to make use of the space. Storage area behind rear seats appears as large as the Tacoma but Toyota cheaped out and you can't fold forward the seat to access.

As far as using it for work, the Toyota bed rail setup is not the strongest and limits what racks you can use. The position or quality of the satellite radio sucks, i can drive under trees and lose satellite signal. Not sure if it's the radio not buffering or antenna position, but it doesn't do that on gm or dodge that i also drive.

I found myself in a shitty situation and had to buy something when i wasn't planning on it. The resale was the only selling feature it offered, and I plan to get rid of it by the end of the year even though it'll cost me.

I towed 16k once because the quarry dumped a bunch more than i wanted. It did it, but wasn't happy. Even at 10k which is just under the max tow, it's on bump stops when trailer is properly loaded. But it will tow it and stop well, but like i said, i would add air bags if it was something that you plan on keeping.

I'd be more happy with a 2010 or so model since that wouldn't be as outdated, and would be less expensive, but I'm planning on switching back to a used GM.

I've had three people ask me about the truck in the last month, and they all say they've been told exactly what i said by other previous tundra owners.

10. Jun 17, 2018 at 6:42 PM
    HerculesRockefeller

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I suppose people want a truck that works and has a history of reliability. The alternatives are trucks from the big 3 with more technology that breaks down, turbo engines that fail pulling pop up campers, cylinder deactivation that causes uneven wear on the engine to save 3 MPG, 10 speed transmissions that are avid gear hunters and then wind up failing, and the list could go on. The 18 Tundra I have has a revamped dash with all sorts of bells and whistles that I'll never use, so really, the "outdated" argument applies to the powertrain only at this point, and I'll take the 5.7 and 6 speed over whatever unreliable hocus pocus the big 3 are rolling out, all so people who own those trucks can say they're getting 19 MPG mixed instead of the 17 I'm getting.

To compare the Tundra to my 16 Tacoma, the idea that the Tundra is outdated is silly. Really the only thing my Taco had that the Tundra doesn't is wireless cell phone charging, which is something I'd have to put forth considerable effort to care less about. Otherwise, the Tundra has far more features, and it's not even a different trim level. It also has a much better ride and an infinitely better transmission. I got mixed in the Taco 22 MPG; in the Tundra it's 17. I'll take the decrease for the superior product.

11. Jun 17, 2018 at 7:12 PM
    Stig

Stig Resident smartass

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Vehicle:
    Ta no mo
    The tundra dash is far from revamped. :rofl:

I took a picture of my mileage and the first thing my brother says is "that is a shitty design" the steering wheel buttons are not well laid out. The knob to turn the satellite radio station is the furthest from the driver and even with an upright driving position and long ass arms i still have to physically lean to use that knob. That's because they failed to put that ability on the steering wheel.

Volume up and down shouldn't be volume left to right...I've hung up phone calls because i hit the phone button that's where the volume should be. And the navigation is junk as its been for over a decade.

But it is a step up from my 52 Chevy dash.

12. Jun 17, 2018 at 7:22 PM
    Tacoaric

Tacoaric Well-Known Member

Member:
    Dallas, Texas
    Vehicle:
    King Ranch F250 Powerstroke

I guess you have proof about the turbos going pulling pop up campers? Funny, none of my ford products have ever had that happen. I also suppose you haven’t driven a 10 speed truck either, because it’s far from gear hunting.

The whole thing about the AFM in GM motors is far fetched. The lifters go, it’s not just uneven wear.... lol

I’d say you getting 17mpg in a tundra is astounding. The best I’ve ever gotten out of one was like 10.5-11.5. Comparing a tundra to a Tacoma is absurd. One is a little baby truck, no balls, and does exactly what I need it to do. Daily drive to my office and maybe off-road once the entire time I own it. If I want a real truck, Ill drive the 6.7 powerstroke. But convince yourself however you need to that you bought the best offering on the market. Might as well have bought a 2007 tundra and saved the money on whatever “updates” you’re speaking of. The 5.7 is gutless, and could barely tow my 2 door JK on a car hauler in anything but 3rd gear.

WRREGL and Stig like this.
  13. Jun 17, 2018 at 7:28 PM
    Stig

Stig Resident smartass

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Vehicle:
    Ta no mo
    On a Yota forum... Tundra is o ye lords truck.

It is what it is but hopefully the OP got the full truth he was looking for.

camillethetoy and 95 taco like this.
  14. Jun 17, 2018 at 8:04 PM
    HerculesRockefeller

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I've got a friend who has had his blown turbo in twice, he's the one who was pulling the pop-up camper. I guess you're one of the lucky ones. That same 10 speed transmission has failed a couple of my coworkers before the 20,000 mile mark. The GM trucks have about as much power as the Taco down low (none) and the cylinder deactivation is a proven loser. The Yota 5.7 is gutless? Haha, ok.

Want a picture off my truck's computer for the Tundra MPG's? I'm not sure how driving with something other than a lead foot is astounding, but then again, there are people on this forum who are beating the hell out of their poor Tacomas due to lack of performance and as a result are and getting 17 MPG, so I guess this shouldn't be too much of a surprise that you're shocked. I guess we can at least agree about the role of the Taco.

If I was going to get a diesel, the powerstroke would be the last truck on earth I'd buy. Oil leaking garbage. Give me a Cummins anyday. Even a Duramax. Or a Hino, let's make it work. Just not that Ford rattlebox.

15. Jun 17, 2018 at 8:13 PM
    koditten

koditten Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kirk
    Central Michigan
    Vehicle:
    04 trd x-cab 4 x 4 3.4l
    Reserected from the dead.
    I like mine. The mpg difference at 80 is not that drastic.

Tacoma: 19
    Tundra: 16

16. Jun 17, 2018 at 8:15 PM
    Stig

Stig Resident smartass

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Vehicle:
    Ta no mo
    I drive my tundra like a granny and 14-15 is max unless I'm driving downhill for the full tank. Once i was able to hypermile it temporarily up to 19 when i filled up, coasted downhill and putted along. But that quickly went back to 15 on level ground.

I had a guy in a tundra next to me at the gas station say "these things suck gas don't they" and continued to say he's looking at one of the big 3 since he can't stand it. I find it humorous that people say it isn't bad. Yes, it is. Its pathetic coming from a company known for efficiency. But fan boys will be fan boys.

If you don't mind the bland vehicle, the high price for what you get, and shitty gas mileage.. Cool. But don't say it's not a problem for normal people.

And my new Tacoma had a rear main seal leaking prior to 25k miles. The (neglected issue since 2005) needle bearing in the front diff was improperly installed from the factory. My Bluetooth never worked good enough to use it. So all vehicles have their lemons. Iirc turd gen Tacomas had their share of blown diffs and transmission issues on brand new low mileage trucks.

95 taco likes this.
  17. Jun 17, 2018 at 8:21 PM
    Stig

Stig Resident smartass

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Vehicle:
    Ta no mo
    But expedition overland has a tundra now, so it's expo AF. At least they'll have use for a ton of Jerry cans. :bananadead:

95 taco likes this.
  18. Jun 17, 2018 at 8:32 PM
    Stig

Stig Resident smartass

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Vehicle:
    Ta no mo
    Because the OP asked for input on a truck. I happen to currently have said truck. I guess he did ask on a Toyota forum so maybe he only wanted the one side of the story. Sorry i gave him the other side. Sorry to hurt your feelers Texas.

19. Jun 17, 2018 at 8:35 PM
    Bishop84

Bishop84 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Very reliable, thristy when towing, worst things I see are cam housing leaks and rear main leaks.,

Trans go if the truck is high mileage and abused.

camillethetoy likes this.
  20. Jun 17, 2018 at 8:36 PM
    Stig

Stig Resident smartass

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Vehicle:
    Ta no mo
    I did answer the questions. I can slow my typing down if needed.

To Top