1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tell me I'm right that something's not right - Body Mounts

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Kristi with a K, Nov 19, 2017.

1. Nov 20, 2017 at 8:17 PM
    Kristi with a K

Kristi with a K [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western MA
    Vehicle:
    01' Black (was Maroon, then red) Tacoma 4x4 SR5 ACab 3.4L AT
    G-Men sticker, driver's side "backseat" window - cracked driver's side headlight cover complete with hazy look - DIY 30 footer paint lift in Bedliner Black
    I'd give them a call. May just be you'd have to order two a la carte....

2. Nov 20, 2017 at 9:45 PM
    36tacundra

36tacundra Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mine is a double cab. My local Toyota parts department gave me a diagram with the bushing part numbers and location. I verified that they were correct on my truck. Even though position #2 and position #3 on the truck had different part numbers, they are identical. I had the Energy suspension send a second set of position #2 to install in position #3 of my truck. They did this free of charge as there compatibility chart had the kit listed for my double cab application.

Kristi with a K[OP] likes this.
  3. Nov 20, 2017 at 9:46 PM
    tony2018

tony2018 Well-Known Member

Member:
    what kit did you order, or you ordered all oem?

4. Nov 20, 2017 at 9:50 PM
    36tacundra

36tacundra Well-Known Member

Member:
    Body Mount Set Energy 8.4107R fits 01-04 Toyota Tacoma for 90.00 on Ebay

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  5. Nov 21, 2017 at 7:54 AM
    Kristi with a K

Member:
    Western MA
    Vehicle:
    G-Men sticker, driver's side "backseat" window - cracked driver's side headlight cover complete with hazy look - DIY 30 footer paint lift in Bedliner Black
    These guys have a lifetime warranty. Whatever that exactly entails I don't know. Might be worth the 10.00? Plus free ship over 119.00. You might need bolts? I realize there are others that offer free ship straight out, however the warranty might be worth finding out about....

http://www.energysuspensionparts.com

tony2018[QUOTED] likes this.
  6. Nov 21, 2017 at 6:34 PM
    Kristi with a K

Member:
    Western MA
    Vehicle:
    The mounts came in today. Funny, they were paired incorrectly. Keeping consumers on their toes? Anywho, I'm off to talk to the mechanic tomorrow, instructions in hand & am glad it is stated to re-torque to specs. I thank you all so much for your help. My brain was hurting my brain trying to figure this out. So as long as there is no policy, you know, the one that was taped to the counter 15 years ago & is now barely legible, regarding a re-do vs getting your money back, I'll be going for the latter & then doing this myself. Just got'a work the when, where details out. I'll keep ya in & most likely will be looking for a solution to an "only me" (this can only happen to me) moment or two....

frizzman and mechanicjon like this.
  7. Nov 24, 2017 at 3:45 PM
    Kristi with a K

Member:
    Western MA
    Vehicle:
    Tomorrow, as long as the weather is as predicted.... stood my ground & got my money back. Harbor Freight today to get tools. Not a fan of Black Friday, but it wan't too bad at the HF. Plus it is the best time to buy tools.... Got access to the plugs taken care of. I thought I was gonna have to remove panels or seats or something in the back, nope, so a lot less pain in the butt than I thought it was gonna be.... Hopefully it'll go that way for the rest of it
    :fingerscrossed:

TacoTRD78 and EatSleepTacos like this.
  8. Nov 25, 2017 at 9:23 AM
    Kristi with a K

Member:
    Western MA
    Vehicle:
    Already losing my marbles looking for torque specs. Should'a started this 1/2 hour ago, but wanted all my ducks in a row first. I see the master list on here & did a word search to find it on the page, but nothing came up. Someone on here did mention 34 ft lbs. Is this the spec no matter what year?
    Also there is something in the instructions about an L bracket on each end of the bumper that needs to be loosened. I don't recall seeing that in the instructions on here. Is this necessary?

9. Nov 27, 2017 at 8:54 AM
    Ryan_3TacosIn

Ryan_3TacosIn Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    '02 XTRA Cab, 4x4, TRD- Working on Restore
    OME Shocks, 883 Coilovers, Synthetic Brake Lines, Dakar Leafs with AAL, Baja Rear Bumper; ES Body mount Bushings, Light Racing UCAs, American Racing Wheels w/ 33" Hercules Tires, and more to come...
    @Kristi with a K

Did you ever get the torque specs? I can help you find them if you haven't found them yet- I have them somewhere. Since you have your 1 side in, you'll need to barely thread the nut onto the bolt when doing your "other" side. Torquing will absolutely be the LAST thing you'll do before getting it all put back together.

If you've already got them, I won't look, but if you don't- I'll get them for you.

10. Nov 27, 2017 at 9:11 AM
    Ryan_3TacosIn

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    OME Shocks, 883 Coilovers, Synthetic Brake Lines, Dakar Leafs with AAL, Baja Rear Bumper; ES Body mount Bushings, Light Racing UCAs, American Racing Wheels w/ 33" Hercules Tires, and more to come...
  11. Nov 27, 2017 at 12:09 PM
    Kristi with a K

Member:
    Western MA
    Vehicle:
    Help! The numnutz mechanic didn't use the washers on top so the sleeves jambed up into the bolt holes on the radiator mounts. I was able to do the passenger side by pulling it out with plyers. The driver's is jambed up farther so it is flush both top & bottom. Plus I can't get the bolt out all the way cuz this is the side with the radiator pump. If I could get the bolt out I could probably use something to hammer it down far enough to grab it with the plyers. Any suggestions?

12. Nov 27, 2017 at 12:13 PM
    Kristi with a K

Member:
    Western MA
    Vehicle:
    Thanks. Other issue first. Grr.... so close....

13. Nov 27, 2017 at 12:51 PM
    Ryan_3TacosIn

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    Hate to ask this... Can you take a pic from a couple different angles?!?

That would help me out a lot.

14. Nov 27, 2017 at 12:59 PM
    Kristi with a K

Member:
    Western MA
    Vehicle:
    IMG_0390.jpg
    Bolt as far up as I can get it. The sleeve is below the base of the bolt. So it does no good to push it down flush.

IMG_0391.jpg
    From underneath. Flush as well.

15. Nov 27, 2017 at 1:23 PM
    Ryan_3TacosIn

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    I think I see what I'm seeing here. Not sure why you wouldn't use the washers, but he didn't, so no use being mad about it.

My suggestion here... You'll need a few tools- Breaker Bar, BFH and a socket. Find a socket that's smaller that's about the same size as that sleeve (smaller than the hole of the truck's frame but enough to get a little "bite" on the sleeve). Take the breaker bar and either attach it to the socket (which would be ideal) or set the breaker bar on the socket and then hit the end with a hammer.

I'd go from the top down (sky to ground) on this because you'll get way more leverage this way with the hammer, and you should be able to get enough force from the hammer, to breaker bar, to socket to get it to come out.

Let me know if you need a crayon drawing.

Kristi with a K[OP] likes this.
  16. Nov 27, 2017 at 1:29 PM
    Kristi with a K

Member:
    Western MA
    Vehicle:
    Think I just might be able to do it. I found a long ginsu type knife that has two point ends on it. I wedged it in next to the top of the bolt & gave it a few whacks & a smidge, I mean a tiny smidge of a smudge of the sleeve came through underneath. If the knife was longer it'd be much easier, but it'll work. Also if I get rid of one of the points it'll probably work better. It's getting cold, heck it's been cold, plus the darknesses is almost here.
    So that's my big idea. Any bigger ones would be most welcome.

17. Nov 27, 2017 at 1:35 PM
    Kristi with a K

Member:
    Western MA
    Vehicle:
    I think I get what you're saying, but the bolt is wedged. Well not wedged in that I can't push it down, wedged in that I can't take it out all the way. It can't pass the water pump. That's why it's like that in the pic - Sky to ground :)

18. Nov 27, 2017 at 1:52 PM
    Kristi with a K

Member:
    Western MA
    Vehicle:
    & if it seems like I misunderstood you, a crayon drawing would be helpful. Even if I didn't misunderstand you, it might amuse me....

19. Nov 27, 2017 at 1:56 PM
    Ryan_3TacosIn

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    Haha. No problem! Let me see what I can get you here, give me a few min.

P.S. Current temp in Houston, TX is 71 and clear blue sky.

20. Nov 27, 2017 at 2:20 PM
    Kristi with a K

Member:
    Western MA
    Vehicle:
    Not nice.... it was some cruel twist of fate (whatever that means) that I was born in New England. I am SO not a cold weather person. Think there was a couple here visiting from down south. She went into labor same time the mother did. There was some screw up or my nose was too big & I was switched at birth.... yup....

Products Discussed in

To Top