1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tell me I'm right that something's not right - Body Mounts

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Kristi with a K, Nov 19, 2017.

1. Nov 27, 2017 at 2:33 PM
    Ryan_3TacosIn

Ryan_3TacosIn Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    '02 XTRA Cab, 4x4, TRD- Working on Restore
    OME Shocks, 883 Coilovers, Synthetic Brake Lines, Dakar Leafs with AAL, Baja Rear Bumper; ES Body mount Bushings, Light Racing UCAs, American Racing Wheels w/ 33" Hercules Tires, and more to come...
    I've lived all over the world and went to college in New York and was in Afghanistan twice, so I know about some cold. I miss it sometimes... SOMETIMES. I don't mind the snow for a few weeks a year- I definitely don't miss it when it's March and there is still snow on the ground, that's for sure.

Ok... PowerPoint Crayon Sketch. Take 1.

Do you get what I was referring to now? That might make it a little easier for you. Just make sure you get a socket that's about 2 sizes smaller than the hole the bushing sleeve is stuck in (but large enough to grab the bushing) and set your socket with breaker bar on the bushing. Give it a couple good whacks with the hammer, and it'll be out!

Kristi with a K[OP] likes this.
  2. Nov 27, 2017 at 3:32 PM
    Kristi with a K

Kristi with a K [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western MA
    Vehicle:
    01' Black (was Maroon, then red) Tacoma 4x4 SR5 ACab 3.4L AT
    G-Men sticker, driver's side "backseat" window - cracked driver's side headlight cover complete with hazy look - DIY 30 footer paint lift in Bedliner Black
    Untitled.jpg

3. Nov 27, 2017 at 3:53 PM
    Ryan_3TacosIn

Ryan_3TacosIn Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    '02 XTRA Cab, 4x4, TRD- Working on Restore
    OME Shocks, 883 Coilovers, Synthetic Brake Lines, Dakar Leafs with AAL, Baja Rear Bumper; ES Body mount Bushings, Light Racing UCAs, American Racing Wheels w/ 33" Hercules Tires, and more to come...
    I'm with you now. I want to say I had enough "play" in that bolt that I was able to angle it in/out when I put mine in. Let me take a look when I get home and I'll be able to see what's going- with what mine looks like at least.

I got it. We're on the same page now. :cheers:

4. Nov 27, 2017 at 4:05 PM
    Kristi with a K

Member:
    Western MA
    Vehicle:
    G-Men sticker, driver's side "backseat" window - cracked driver's side headlight cover complete with hazy look - DIY 30 footer paint lift in Bedliner Black
    It isn't necessary to take the bolt all the way out in order to remove the top bushing, you just have to clear it, so you may have not removed it. I have to cuz the freakin' sleeve is stuck up inside the bushing. The passenger side radiator bolt came all the way out cuz there was nothing obstructing it.

5. Nov 27, 2017 at 4:55 PM
    Kristi with a K

Member:
    Western MA
    Vehicle:
    This is my big idea -

Untitled.jpg Untitled2.jpgUntitled3.jpg

Last edited: Nov 27, 2017
  6. Nov 27, 2017 at 5:29 PM
    frizzman

frizzman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    04 XCab 4x4 TRD/OR
    OME 2.5,Tundra 17s,Falken Wildpeak AT3W hitch w/ 7-pin, ARE cap, JVC HU w/BT, HID/LED lights
  7. Nov 27, 2017 at 6:22 PM
    mechanicjon

mechanicjon They call me "Jonny Stubs"

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Scottsdale Arizona
    Vehicle:
    04 Taco SC 4dr SR5 TRD Prerunner
    Supercharged, AEM FIC/6, Meth Inj, ION Alloy's, Radio & Phone steering Wheel controls,Fabtech AAL, Billie's wrapped with 880's , Tundra big brake conversion, bully bars and Pioneer DDin Stereo/dvd with exterrnal usb ports. 290K and going strong.
    If you lift the body up a little you can get that bolt out.

8. Nov 27, 2017 at 6:40 PM
    Kristi with a K

Member:
    Western MA
    Vehicle:
    Pigpen suggested that on another thread I put this issue on & I thought "hand smacks head" so stupid. Then I said to myself, I said "Self, that will not work" cuz.... & I'll show you....

This is the situation with no lift, bolt extended as far as it can go. If I lift the body, it only brings it even closer to the pump.
    Untitled (1).jpg

9. Nov 27, 2017 at 6:44 PM
    mechanicjon

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Scottsdale Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged, AEM FIC/6, Meth Inj, ION Alloy's, Radio & Phone steering Wheel controls,Fabtech AAL, Billie's wrapped with 880's , Tundra big brake conversion, bully bars and Pioneer DDin Stereo/dvd with exterrnal usb ports. 290K and going strong.
    Ok i gotcha. Thats the bottom edge of the radiator not the pump. You can always unbolt the radiator. Held in by 4 bolts.

10. Nov 27, 2017 at 6:46 PM
    mechanicjon

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Scottsdale Arizona
    Vehicle:
    If you lift the body that will lift off the sleeve alowing the bolt to come out at an angle.

11. Nov 27, 2017 at 6:46 PM
    Kristi with a K

Member:
    Western MA
    Vehicle:
    Thank you. Think I'll cut the bolt before I go there. I might feel a bit more adventurous if the days were warmer here in Mass. Plus I don't believe I have the set-up for that. Wish I did.... & yeah. I corrected it to water pump on my next posts. Not sure what I was thinking, however I do very much like learning & there is a wealth of knowledge on this forum, so I do appreciate it :)

12. Nov 27, 2017 at 7:04 PM
    Kristi with a K

Member:
    Western MA
    Vehicle:
    Found this pic on line. It's hitting on the cylindrical part on the right. I guess I best get straightened out on what that is before I go making something else up....
    So I can easily remove or move this? It's "hardtubed" to the radiator. If it was "flextubed", I might'a tried it earlier.

maxresdefault.jpg

13. Nov 27, 2017 at 7:43 PM
    Kristi with a K

Member:
    Western MA
    Vehicle:
    Apologies for buggin' you. I should have asked if this is indeed what you were referring to. & if so, if I unbolt the radiator this will move with it? It has a metal harness around it. All's I need it to move is like 1/4-1/2 inch....

14. Nov 27, 2017 at 7:51 PM
    frizzman

Member:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    04 XCab 4x4 TRD/OR
    OME 2.5,Tundra 17s,Falken Wildpeak AT3W hitch w/ 7-pin, ARE cap, JVC HU w/BT, HID/LED lights
    that's the Freon reservoir for the A/C. you can unbolt it (one of the links I posted says to do this to the hoses as well) and you can move it slightly out of the way to get the bolt out

also it is hard-tubed to the condenser but that is clipped to the radiator as well.

you don't need to move it far to get the bolt out, just a little bit :)

15. Nov 27, 2017 at 8:12 PM
    Kristi with a K

Member:
    Western MA
    Vehicle:
    That might be just the ticket! Apologies for not picking up on this from the link. Me thinks I am on overload. & freon reservoir. Good to know. I had a feeling it wasn't the water pump cuz that is one of the things that "they" say you should change when you do the serpentine belt. Next on my list ;)
    Thank you!!!!

frizzman[QUOTED] likes this.
  16. Nov 28, 2017 at 4:38 PM
    Kristi with a K

Member:
    Western MA
    Vehicle:
    Done! :yay::muscleflexing:
    Thank you all! While I typically don't think twice about being a "girl" & liking to do this kind of stuff, it can be a mixed bag when it comes to other people. This is when I think about it. When other people say something. There's the good stuff, like someone on here gave me kudos for trying to do this & that's when I say to myself, "yeah, you are a girl doing what you like to do & that is cool." & then there are those who feel threatened by it. Someone I know tried to talk me out of doing this & predicted I'd be at it all day for a week. I would have kept at it even if it did, but am glad I proved this person wrong because of their judgment. I figure it took me eight hours & that includes my having to deal with the stuck sleeves. All this to state that I am wicked happy I joined this forum cuz the support was awesome & not once did I feel condescended to. I didn't mind doing this stuff on my own before, but now I know I don't have to.... :thumbsup:

Oh, & even though I was referring to those who do say something, I wanna give an honorable mention to those who don't think twice about it.... Good stuff too....

Tagin' - @Pigpen who helped me through another thread....

Last edited: Nov 28, 2017
    Torspd and tony2018 like this.
  17. Nov 28, 2017 at 4:59 PM
    frizzman

Member:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    04 XCab 4x4 TRD/OR
    :thumbsup:

most on here will give kudos to those who try to do something to better themselves and their vehicle. keep at it.

18. Nov 28, 2017 at 5:12 PM
    Kristi with a K

Member:
    Western MA
    Vehicle:
    Yup. All of us here to learn no matter where you're at or who you be.... It's how it should be....

cruiserguy, TacoTRD78 and Dirty Pool like this.
  19. Nov 28, 2017 at 7:45 PM
    mechanicjon

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Scottsdale Arizona
    Vehicle:
    :thumbsup::headbang::cheers: Glad you got it fixed and it was pleasure to help you.

20. Nov 28, 2017 at 8:07 PM
    tony2018

tony2018 Well-Known Member

Member:
    yup.

Products Discussed in

To Top