1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Temp gauge spikes randomly....

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Canyon Jeff, Jan 20, 2015.

1. Jan 20, 2015 at 12:56 PM
    Canyon Jeff

Canyon Jeff [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Southeast Utah
    Vehicle:
    98 Tacoma V6 3.4, TRD 4x4 5-speed 100k miles
    ...Well, at least I think its random...

So this has happened to me a few times in the last month while driving on the highway. The temp gauge is typically right in the middle when my rig is all warmed up, but suddenly it will just jump up to the red line real quick and then fall back down to the middle, and then a few seconds later jump about halfway up and then fall right back down. It will go on like this for a few minutes, just jumping to random spots in between the middle and the red, and then it will eventually quit and it won't happen again for days.

It always jumps UP. it never drops below the mid line (which i read elsewhere might indicate the sensor is losing power). The speed at which it jumps is variable: some time super quick, other times a bit slower. But it doesn't move as if the engine is actually overheating: you know, slow and steady. HOWEVER, today, for the first time, it did do a little bit of creeping as it climbed, but then it would just fall back down again. The problem doesn't SEEM to be related to speed or RPM's, except today, the times that it crept was during times I was accelerating. But then some times it will spike when I let my foot off the pedal. I'm trying to find a pattern but there doesn't appear to be one... So I am really confused...

I searched this forum and other forums and have read about problems people have had with their temp gauges, but nothing quite fits this description.

Thoughts? Thanks!

2. Jan 20, 2015 at 6:02 PM
    Canyon Jeff

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Southeast Utah
    Vehicle:
    SO, I've had some more time to think about this problem, and I guess I'll add some of those thoughts here.

I don't know a whole lot about electrical wiring... really, nothing... BUT I'm thinking the problem here is the ECT sensor. But I am not sure if the problem is the sensor itself, or the wiring going to the sensor...

Here is what I do know. My truck has a ton of other minor PITA problems that I have been slowly resolving. One problem that I resolved recently is the well-know vomiting front differential breather hose. Before I got around to fixing that, a whole lot of shit had gunked up the electrical wires that run along side the breather hose. I don't know what those wires are or what they do, BUT I did notice that this problem began almost immediately after a particularly large gear oil vomiting event.

Another thing I noticed a LONG time ago was that the jiggling those wires sometimes caused the temp gauge to rocket all the way up to the red line when the engine was turned OFF completely, no key in the ignition or anything... jiggling those wires some more would cause the gauge to drop back down. That was DEFINITELY an electrical issue, and I am wondering if these two problems are somehow related... but how...?

I don't even know where the ECT sensor is on my truck, and its getting late here so I am gonna try to find that tomorrow morning. Anyone wants to chime in in the meantime, be my guest!

thanks guys!

3. Jan 20, 2015 at 8:43 PM
    DrZ

DrZ Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mesa, AZ
    Vehicle:
    96 2.4L 5-speed
    There is a coolant temperature sensor for the ECU/EFI system and a coolant temperature sensor for the gauge. Two different sensors.

I believe the temperature gauge in the cluster has two solenoids in it. When the ignition is on, one solenoid has constant power and pulls the needle down. The other solenoid receives current through the resistance of the temperature sender gauge and pulls the needle up.

So, if the first solenoid loses its connection to ground, then the needle will go up. If the sender gauge (or its wiring) shorts out, then the gauge needle will also go up.

So, check the wiring to the temperature sender. I believe this sensor has only one wire attached to it (as opposed to the ECU temp sensor which has 2). Another possibility are the nuts that hold the gauge onto the back of the cluster are loose or have some slight corrosion, and since the nuts provide the electrical connection, this could cause the problem.

TacomaJunkie8691 likes this.
  4. Jan 21, 2015 at 9:31 AM
    Canyon Jeff

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Southeast Utah
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the reply, DrZ.

I looked at a post from yotatech and found where the temperature sender for the gauge is located. It looks hard to get to, all sorts of stuff in the way...

http://www.yotatech.com/f160/overheating-216563/index2.html#post51528530

As for the cluster, will I have to take the whole dash apart inside? never taken that journey before...

Any advice on exactly what to check for on the sender itself? Do you have a wiring diagram? I don't. But I am assuming there are several different places to check the wiring for issues.

Thanks again!

5. Jan 24, 2015 at 4:14 AM
    Robb235

Robb235 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Chattanooga, TN
    Vehicle:
    '99 4Runner
    231mm Tundra Brakes B&M 70264 Transmission Cooler
    If I were you, I would find an OBD2 scanner that you can monitor live engine data with (like a Scangauge, or some other hand held unit). Check the scanner's coolant temp readings vs what your temp gauge on the dash is showing to verify that the dash gauge really is giving wonky readings.

TacomaJunkie8691 likes this.
  6. Jan 24, 2015 at 10:02 AM
    o0oSHADOWo0o

o0oSHADOWo0o Just lurking in the darkness

Member:
    First Name:
    Shadow
    Va Beach
    Vehicle:
    2012 Double Cab Short Bed 4x4 TRD Sport
    Just a few LEDs...
    Have you tried replacing the thermostat? If it is original or old it could be sticking. :rolleyes:

7. Jan 24, 2015 at 1:17 PM
    2toys

2toys Well-Known Member

Member:
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    01 Red Hot Double Taco
    I'm experiencing the same problem after changing the head gasket. I can see temp on a scan gauge is normal, but temp gauge spikes randomly. I too am thinking it's an electrical issue, maybe ground since it's a one wire sensor. I just can't put my finger on it.

8. Jan 24, 2015 at 2:34 PM
    mwrohde

mwrohde Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Sugar Hill, GA
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tacoma 4x4 5-speed 3.4 TRD SR5
    I nearly overheated an engine when it was cold once. I'm guessing one of the radiator hoses froze, preventing coolant flow. That could explain why "only when it's freezing".

Random spikes - I'd replace the thermostat, too.

9. Jan 25, 2015 at 9:22 AM
    2toys

2toys Well-Known Member

Member:
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    01 Red Hot Double Taco
    What are the three grounding points. There is one from firewall to head. One near battery to fender. Is the other on the intake manifold under the service plug?

10. Mar 10, 2015 at 7:13 AM
    Shadetree

Shadetree Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    BiLL
    Bozeman, Montana
    Vehicle:
    2011 Access Cab 4x2
    Locking Tailgate & Gas Cap and extra bed D-rings
    x2

11. Mar 14, 2019 at 8:44 AM
    TacomaJunkie8691

TacomaJunkie8691 1999WineTacoma

Member:
    WA State
    Vehicle:
    1999 Wine Tacoma SR5 Exta-Cab 4wd V6
    Completely Stock except for Ranch 5000 Shocks and Struts.
    My old Tacoma does the same thing, but only does it when it is completely warmed up, and you go to start it again. The temperature gauge will suddenly move toward the red, and then drop a few seconds later. It does this randomly, and there is not any consistent pattern to it doing it.

12. Mar 14, 2019 at 11:41 AM
    Snowy

Snowy Is neither here nor there

Member:
    First Name:
    Connor
    Winnebago, IL
    Vehicle:
    3 linked 98 Xtra cab
    Stock-ish
    This isn't a swing of actual temperature, its a quick gauge sweep up and down randomly. My truck does it too even though the temp stays rock solid at 190 on a data reader. Definitely a ground issue somewhere that I don't feel like running down.

13. Mar 14, 2019 at 12:48 PM
    TacomaJunkie8691

TacomaJunkie8691 1999WineTacoma

Member:
    WA State
    Vehicle:
    1999 Wine Tacoma SR5 Exta-Cab 4wd V6
    Completely Stock except for Ranch 5000 Shocks and Struts.
    Yeah Snowy,

I completely agree with you. It is not worth my time to run it down. If it consistently did it, I might convince myself to run it down, but not some sporadic issue.

Take it easy,
    Paul

14. Mar 14, 2019 at 12:52 PM
    AugustusJack

AugustusJack Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    A.J.
    NW WA
    Vehicle:
    '19 DCLB OR, '00 XC 3.4L 4wd MT
    :boink: