1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tennessee Rafting. Where to go?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by luk8272, Jun 2, 2009.

1. Jun 2, 2009 at 7:11 AM
    luk8272

luk8272 [OP] Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    07 Silver4dr. 4x4, V6 Shortbed
    5% Tint, Bug flector, vent Visors, Removed secondary air filter, Rear Spring TSB w/ Wheeler's Add A Leaf HD Pack, Icon 2.0 rear shocks, Toytec 3" lift up front with Total Chaos UCA's, Debadged, Billet Grille,TRD Offroad rims/17x9 Pro comp 6001 rims, Duratracs 265/75/16 or 285/70/17, Fog light anytime mod, Tailgate hose clamp mod, Pro-dry AFE filter. Extended Differential Breather, ABS on/off, 6000k LEDs from CSJumper, heads/fogs, ScanguageII, Devil horns, Devil horns on third brake light, Mounted 60" Highlift, Mounted Tool Box, Wet Okole Front/Rear Seat Covers, TW sticker, Midland Handheld CB,Painted engine cover, Revenge Fab Sliders, ARE Topper, Weather tech Floorliners, Camper shell, ultimate headlight upgrade. URD -3° exhaust cam gears, .5" XTP Intake spacer. Custom dents.
    Family vacation in Pegion forge. Wanting to go rafting and have found a bunch of buisnesses. Just wondering from the people that have been there and done it to give me their take. There are 3 of us in the group that want action and 6 that want lazy. There is a lazy section to all the rafting companies I have seen yet. Those on the lazy group are all female, ranging from my 4yr old daughter to a 62yr old grandmother. The guys want some action. None of us have any experience. Thanks.

2. Jun 2, 2009 at 7:50 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    I'm personally not familiar with the area....

Your best bet would be to call those businesses or visit their websites for information.

*Family Friendly*trips would be suited to your younger/older (lazy)crowd.

Since you've never done this before - for you gung ho types, I wouldn't go above CLASS IV rapids. That'll be enough to pump your adrenaline! Some of the rafting companies may require you to stay within a certain class for beginners.

3. Jun 2, 2009 at 8:24 AM
    bobwilson1977

bobwilson1977 Well-Known Member

Member:
    KaliFORN-I-A
    Vehicle:
    96 Tacoma 2WD ( pizza delivery model)
    none except for crappy hub caps and floor mats.
    I grew up in the area. We never used rafting companies because they charge an arm and a leg. What we used to do is stop at a local Co-op, load up on used innertubes, fill em' up and strap them to the truck and head out to an area in the smokies called " The y" in Townsend. Here's a link to it:

http://www.aboutthegreatsmokies.com/swimming.html

What's cool about the Y is that it offers a variety of things. First, there is a huge grassy area where you can put down your blankets. Secondly there are three rivers that come together. One river is kind of rough but more fun and you can tube down that section which leads to where they meet together. Where they meet is a calm area that looks almost like a small lake. You can laze around there. After that, all three rivers go down a series of pretty serious rapids. I'd be careful there, but its definitely more exciting. That and there's a hige rock outcropping where you can jump off into a deep area. Be careful though.

Anyhow, we always had a hell of a time there. Best part is that its free and Co-ops will almost give you used tubes. One last thing: That water, even in July is COLD!!!!

4. Jun 2, 2009 at 8:47 AM
    Bart

Bart Well-Known Member

Member:
    Franklin,NC
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD OFFROAD V6 4x4
    metra ipod
    Or you can drive over to Cheerokee NC outside of their is Natahla gorge they do rafting group's.

5. Jun 2, 2009 at 8:52 AM
    argm31i

argm31i Well-Known Member

Member:
    We went rafting on the Pigeon River once during high school (~10 yrs. ago) and it was great. A good bit of action, but didn't get tossed out of the boat except for when they threw me in...but I'm a big guy and was pretty well wedged in there...

6. Jun 2, 2009 at 11:28 AM
    luk8272

luk8272 [OP] Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    07 Silver4dr. 4x4, V6 Shortbed
    5% Tint, Bug flector, vent Visors, Removed secondary air filter, Rear Spring TSB w/ Wheeler's Add A Leaf HD Pack, Icon 2.0 rear shocks, Toytec 3" lift up front with Total Chaos UCA's, Debadged, Billet Grille,TRD Offroad rims/17x9 Pro comp 6001 rims, Duratracs 265/75/16 or 285/70/17, Fog light anytime mod, Tailgate hose clamp mod, Pro-dry AFE filter. Extended Differential Breather, ABS on/off, 6000k LEDs from CSJumper, heads/fogs, ScanguageII, Devil horns, Devil horns on third brake light, Mounted 60" Highlift, Mounted Tool Box, Wet Okole Front/Rear Seat Covers, TW sticker, Midland Handheld CB,Painted engine cover, Revenge Fab Sliders, ARE Topper, Weather tech Floorliners, Camper shell, ultimate headlight upgrade. URD -3° exhaust cam gears, .5" XTP Intake spacer. Custom dents.
    We have been looking and conversing with the rafting companies but I wanted personal info. Thats where I got the term lazy from. We have canoeing here but some that live here know the better, cheapre, free places. Which is what I was hoping to learn.

7. Jun 2, 2009 at 4:41 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    I know what you mean though..... I've been looking for a more local rafting trip here in PA (poconos).

I went rafting years ago in W.V. It was awesome!! Guided trip....and Class IV.

If you're looking for some good/big rapids and never gone before, you're far better off paying the $50 a person (or whatever it is) to go with a rafting company and have a guide take you out. The rafting companies will supply all the gear (helmets, life preservers, etc) and they'll teach you everything you need to know about safety, rowing, etc. They'll teach you what to do in case you fall out of the raft..... and obviously, the guides are trained to save you (It sounds life threatening, but its not that bad).

We have an area here that you rent tubes and cruise down a local river. It's GREAT fun for everyone! You'll need atleast two vehicles....one at the start point and one at the end.

If you find an area to go inner-tubeing on (or canoe or small raft or whatever) - just make sure you research the area indepthly. In paticular...water hazards. The last thing you wanna do is be cruising along the river and suddenly realize you're heading straight for a water fall. Not good. And - research water levels. If the water levels are too low in the summer (for example), you might be walking most of the time.

Products Discussed in

To Top