1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Terra Grappler Load Range D?

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by Harvo, Aug 12, 2017.

1. Aug 12, 2017 at 8:45 AM
    Harvo

Harvo [OP] Hanging On !!!

Member:
    Vehicle:
    17' TRD Offroad DCSB
    SpiderTrax, RCI Sliders, Warn bumper, Smittybuilt winch, Ridge Grapplers...
    Been struggling about size - vs - tread depth - vs - load rating. I want 265-75/16 but as everyone knows you can go load range E for deep tread and a crappy ride with crappy MPGs... or you can go p-rated and loose about 4mm of tread depth.

One alternative is the General At2 which has really deep tread in the P-size, but only comes in 265-70.

Just saw a new Taco at the dealer while I was there for one of my lifetime free washes, and it had Nitto Terra Grapplers on it. They looked good, and had a decent sidewall. They were 265/75's and they were load range D.

Is load range D much better riding than E? I searched and didn't see too many threads about those tires. Are they garbage? OK? Any experience with them?

Thanks.

2. Aug 12, 2017 at 9:12 PM
    The Real Moondog

The Real Moondog Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Moondog
    Somewhere in the SE USA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Quicksand Tacoma TRD Off-Road (Sold :()
    I assume you know but an E rated tire is the toughest tire and a D is just under that. You might consider looking for a C rated tire as that will give you a closer to stock ride while still providing more tread depth. Generally speaking, LT rated tires such as those rated C, D, and/or E have more tread depth and they also have tougher sidewalls. I prefer a C rated tire but if you are a rock climber then you would want the E rated tire. An E is heavier and sturdier than a D and a D is heavier and sturdier than a C. There are a lot of good tire threads on here and one I started is linked below with some good information on C rated tires. The TGs are generally good tires. The Duratracs are soft and a very light tire for a C rated tire. Much of this really depends on your needs and wants.
    Best of luck to you.
    https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads...-aggressive-at-c-load-range-265-75-16.483185/

3. Aug 12, 2017 at 9:25 PM
    02YotaGuy

02YotaGuy Guy With A Red 80 Series

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Springfield, VA
    Vehicle:
    94 FZJ80
    Bumper, Winch, 315s, Sliders, OME HD lift, Custom rear swingout, roof rack, drawers, way too much to list.
    I'm running Duratracs in load range C, still an aggressive tire but I never use my truck for anything that would need an E, they are fine, I may go with an A/T instead of M/T next.

4. Aug 13, 2017 at 6:15 AM
    Harvo

Harvo [OP] Hanging On !!!

Member:
    Vehicle:
    17' TRD Offroad DCSB
    SpiderTrax, RCI Sliders, Warn bumper, Smittybuilt winch, Ridge Grapplers...
    Thanks. But in my searching, there is nothing I want that is C rated in my size. Duratracs are probably the most appealing, but reputedly quite loud as they wear.

I know D will still be a heavier tire, but I was looking for input on things like mpgs, ride quality and noise specifically on the TG D rated.

Not interested in changing wheel size from my 16's.

Products Discussed in

To Top