1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Terrible Weekend

Discussion in 'Personal & Emotional Support' started by Toy4Life, Aug 4, 2008.

1. Aug 6, 2008 at 11:34 AM
    mws4ua

mws4ua I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Birmingham
    Vehicle:
    2018 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 4x4... Yeah yeah, I know.
    In my own words, I'm pretty sure that I have very clearly stated that I would never get rid of a dog or put one down b/c it reacted the way any animal reacts when provoked or scared. The ONE dog I've put down bit a child, unprovoked, as witnessed by a responsible adult. We didn't want to take the CHANCE that it could happen again.

You're talking to me about priorities??? Go ahead and spend your kid's college education on dogs that endanger the safety of your family. Along the way, let your kids see you beat animals senseless while they wonder if they'll ever meet the same fate for stepping out of line.

I'll keep my family safe however I see fit.

It amazes you that I 'sentence dogs to death at will?' One dog, of the many that I've owned, has been put down for attacking a young child. One dog.

I make you laugh, you make me sad.

2. Aug 6, 2008 at 11:59 AM
    piercedtiger

piercedtiger Devout Atheist

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
    2015 F150 3.5EB SCEW 6.5ft
    He said:

No where in that do I see "I paid $5,000 for my dog..." All I see is what people USED to pay TEN YEARS AGO. It isn't some cheap mixed breed mutt from the petshop spawned by two strays. It's an expensive, expertly bred and trained pedigree dog, but probably cost much, much less now with less demand for them and the need to find them a home. Entirely different way of dealing with such a dog than a PetSmart blue light special. :laugh:

My dog cost us $90, but it should've cost $150 if we hadn't been quoted the lower price. Before that I was told it should cost $500-$600 or more to adopt an Akita. So again, not some run of the mill cheap ankle biter the size of a football which is what The Master is getting at. The kind of dog that can tear your arm off and stare you down while chewing on it if you don't put it in it's place.

And yet, you argue with someone about how to keep the family safe and then say something half assed like that....

Gee, I guess The Master's definition of "however I see fit" must be different than yours. :rolleyes:

3. Aug 6, 2008 at 12:03 PM
    Toy4Life

Toy4Life [OP] 668: The Neighbor of the Beast

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Slippery Rock, PA
    Vehicle:
    96 Subaru Outback 2.2 5mt
    92 4Runner SR5 3.0v6 4x4(sold) 02 Tacoma SR5 TRD Offroad 4x4 (sold)
    I can back you up on this. Years ago, I adopted an Akita from the Humane Society after one of the family dogs had passed. After much research, I learned much of what you wrote. Fortunately I never had to resort to that manner of discipline. My mother still has that Akita. Her name is Bear, because her head is shaped like a grizzly's head. She has had victim's, though not human. We found out quickly that she played with cats until they were dead and Bear and a Britney Spanniel we had, played with a domestic rabbit...to death.

4. Aug 6, 2008 at 12:11 PM
    mws4ua

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Birmingham
    Vehicle:
    You're right. I should have run my comment by you first. I would have realized how half-assed it really was.

On this we absolutely agree. He brings a dangerous animal into the house, then beats it when it gets out of line. I just leave the danger out of my house all together.

I think I've helped hijack this thread long enough. I've apologized for doing so to Toy4Life, and I hope that I do not have any reason to continue to do so any longer.

5. Aug 6, 2008 at 12:20 PM
    piercedtiger

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
    Yeah I love the look of her head! lol This big ol' black head laying on the floor like a bear skin rug. lol It's funny watching people swerve around the back of my truck when walking to the store and she's in the bed. :D Or cross the sidewalk to walk passed our house when she's out.

6. Aug 6, 2008 at 12:22 PM
    Toy4Life

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Slippery Rock, PA
    Vehicle:
    Hey, PT, does your Akita throw up when she gets excited? My mom's does. I can't even count how many times that dog threw up on my shoes!

7. Aug 6, 2008 at 12:25 PM
    klown

klown Tacoma World Ring Leader

Member:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Vehicle:
    2008 TRD sport 4x4 double cab 6-speed
    Black, leather and heated seats, borla sport exhaust, side curtain airbags, daytime running lights, all weather mats, JBL premium 6 disk changer system, stainless step tubes, window tint, tow package
    This is the best and most logical post in this whole thread. You'll get a rep from me.

8. Aug 6, 2008 at 12:29 PM
    piercedtiger

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
    Well, you do whatever you want for your family, then bash someone for doing whatever he wants for his family. :der: I think you need to sort some things out too.

So what's your solution to each and every dog out there that's been trained for guarding, police use, or fighting and is too old do that now? Put them all down or rehabilitate them to live with humans peacefully?

I guess maybe all of Vic's dogs should have been put down instead of people coming together to find families for them?

I suppose all dangerous animals should be banned from the house then?

You don't have guns in your house do you? Or anything else that could be "dangerous" to your kids? Steak knives? Meat cleavers? Economy sized bottles of Aspirin? :rolleyes:

I guess maybe I'm just a horrible parent for not sanitizing my house of all dangerous items, and adopting a bear-hunting, pitbull-eating dangerous animal on top of all that. :rolleyes:

Or maybe I wanted something to grow up loving my children and willing and able to rip someone's arm off for fucking with them. nah... that couldn't be it.

9. Aug 6, 2008 at 12:47 PM
    mws4ua

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Birmingham
    Vehicle:
    I guess I never should have expressed my opinion.

I do have a gun in my house. The last time I checked, a gun isn't going to shoot at somebody by itself, and a kid around my house will not be playing with a gun. None of the things you mentioned will attack my children for no reason.

In my opinion, I don't see the point in bringing dangerous animals into a house. So, yes, all overtly dangerous animals are banned from my house. Again, my opinion, which I apparently need to apologize for giving.

In case we've forgotten, this is where the whole thread started:

th_001-7_da00b73d716a3d7d45430cc329850517654ad248.jpg

Some people are willing to risk much more damage than this in order to keep a deadly animal around the house for 'protection.' Some people (Toy4Life included, as evidenced by his actions) avoid bringing the danger inside in the first place, and/or act swiftly to prevent such damage from occuring a second time once a previously unknown danger presents itself.

10. Aug 6, 2008 at 1:01 PM
    piercedtiger

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
    NO! Thank god! :laugh: ewww.... She does have her weird habits though... Hates wet grass and it's like dragging a mule off the sidewalk to pee if the dew has settled (or if she thinks it might be wet). :rolleyes:

She just does this happy dance when I come home, nips at my hands and arms, and swipes at me with her paw (something she learned from me I think as I grab her paw to take her down when we play, and mock-box).

It's quite amusing as she hops around, ducks down to the ground, springs back up.... All the time bouncing from side to side and "talking". She acts like mommy neglected her for 3 weeks when I get home and she's only been out for 5 minutes! :laugh: But then the previous owner neglected her and left her outside until she was so emaciated she couldn't feed her puppies or shake the flies off her ears. Animal control stepped in at that point, but I can understand why she doesn't like to be alone. Knocking on death's door before being rescued so we try to include her in everything. Probably also one of the reasons we decided not to crate her. She has free range throughout the house and sleeps at the foot of our bed, or in front of the fan between the kids' rooms.

11. Aug 6, 2008 at 1:04 PM
    klown

klown Tacoma World Ring Leader

Member:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Vehicle:
    2008 TRD sport 4x4 double cab 6-speed
    Black, leather and heated seats, borla sport exhaust, side curtain airbags, daytime running lights, all weather mats, JBL premium 6 disk changer system, stainless step tubes, window tint, tow package
    Whoa this is getting out of hand. Can't we all accept that different people have different ways they feel they need to do to keep their family safe.

12. Aug 6, 2008 at 1:10 PM
    mws4ua

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Birmingham
    Vehicle:
    I've heard that dogs have absolutely no concept of time, and that's why they're always happy to see their owner come home. I can't imagine they have NO concept... I mean, surely they know the difference between being left for 10 minutes and being left for the better part of a day... but I guess the evidence is in their actions when they go nuts every time we come home.

I didn't quote, but I'm with Klown. I think we've beaten this horse to death (no double meaning intended).

13. Aug 6, 2008 at 1:21 PM
    TheMaster

TheMaster Born to Ride

Member:
    First Name:
    Chicky Baby
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2007 DC TRD Sport
    Bug shield, window visors, skid plate, rust proofing, tonneau cover, paint & upholstery protection, side step bars, navigation system.
    Good. I don't have to close this thread after all. :)

14. Aug 6, 2008 at 1:22 PM
    piercedtiger

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:

Hey I was just asking about guns and other dangerous items since you said "I just leave the danger out of my house all together." I would think that would apply to all danger.

I don't bother kid proofing my house as I'd rather have them get hurt there, than somewhere else. They learn not to stick forks in the electrical outlets or touch hot stoves. I don't want them going out into the world thinking it's fair, that they'll get whatever they want, or that things always go the way you want. I've seen so many kids sheltered by their parents from all dangers and never disciplined hit the real world and not know what to do. Think about someone at Starbucks or McDonalds throwing a fit because their order was slightly wrong. If that person had been disciplined as child then I doubt they would've acted like that. Or if they'd been injured at some point they'd know fries instead of a salad is NOT the end of the world.

I think it's amazing how many people out there are still alive, but would've been eaten long ago if we were animals and survival of the fittest still ruled. :D I mean, how many people are abso-fucking-lutely clueless about what's going on around then because they didn't have to watch out for things as kids? (Sharp rocks in the driveway, barb wire fence at the edge of the yard, cars driving by the house, big happy dog chasing them)

So I think a little healthy danger in the house keeps them on their tows, makes them more observant, and less like sheep blindly following the herd. :D

15. Aug 6, 2008 at 1:32 PM
    piercedtiger

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
    That's what I tell my wife! :laugh: 5 minutes to us is 5 days in "dog time". :laugh:

It's just so funny to see how excited she is just after stepping outside for a smoke and forgetting to take her. Or walk out to the barn to grab something and come back. You'd think we left her for a week.

16. Aug 6, 2008 at 1:34 PM
    TheMaster

TheMaster Born to Ride

Member:
    First Name:
    Chicky Baby
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2007 DC TRD Sport
    Bug shield, window visors, skid plate, rust proofing, tonneau cover, paint & upholstery protection, side step bars, navigation system.
    Hey PT, your thought process is out of this world man. They are all under $50 but awesome points.

17. Aug 6, 2008 at 1:42 PM
    piercedtiger

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
    lol I've dealt with far too many stupid people working at gas stations, Sam's Club, and other retail places to have much faith in humanity anymore. :( My goal is to make my children learn to stand on their own feet, fend for themselves, and not rely on someone to hold their hand like so many people I deal with daily. There are people that I've wondered how they managed to get dressed and make it to the store on their own. I refuse to have children like that! :D

18. Aug 6, 2008 at 3:38 PM
    Toy4Life

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Slippery Rock, PA
    Vehicle:
    Thank you gentlemen.

Haha! My dad use to say, if it weren't for warning labels, there would be a lot less stupid people on this earth. I agree. Survival of the fittest is near extinction as far as the human race is concerned.

19. Aug 6, 2008 at 3:40 PM
    concrete jedi

concrete jedi Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rochester N.Y
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma 4 door indigo blue
    Broken and scratched tailgate, cracked rear tail light lens, coffee stain in driver seat.
    Atta boy !! I could not agree with you more ! Drive on :burnrubber:

20. Aug 6, 2008 at 4:31 PM
    jguinn2005

jguinn2005 Active Member

Member:
    Harrisonburg, VA
    Vehicle:
    2008 SR5 TRD Off-Road Blacked Out
    My dog did that to me when I was oh ... about 3 and a half ... it was my fault, I was teasing him with treats. I took one away and he snapped/barked at me and at the same time lunging towards my face. Took off my entire top lip plus ripped skin out of my nose and tore up my gums ... 4 hours of immediate reconstructive plastic surgury later, I'm good at new, to this day you can't see a scar.

I'd recommend getting the plastic surgury if he at all needs it, I know that I'm glad that I didn't walk around with a scare on my face all my life. But do please shop around for your plastic surgeons ... I fortunately had an AMAZING one that was on call but they're not all the same.

To Top