1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tesla style head unit

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by arcenik, Sep 15, 2021.

1. Oct 24, 2021 at 8:14 AM
    scootter82

scootter82 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Aurora, CO
    Would love to see this running Android auto if that's a possibility. Within the next year I'll either be getting this or the other hu that starts with a j

2. Oct 25, 2021 at 7:24 AM
    Randys13taco

Randys13taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Portland, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    13 Tacoma 4x4 DCLB Sport
    Bushwacker fender flares, husky floor mats, avs bug deflector. Avs in-channel vent visors,victory 4x4 roofrack, Naturnest rooftop tep wedge tent, Naturnest shower, Amp power steps, Fuel Vector bronze wheels, 12" antenna, snugtop cap, redline tuning hood struts, Magnum front and rear steel bumpers, rough country 2" front leveling spacer, ridgid dually driving lights, 50qt ARB fridge, 175 watt flexible solar panel and 30 watt solar charger, Rexing dual front and rear dash cam, Viair 150 psi compressor
    Okay so I received an email this morning stating they now have resolved all the bugs with this head unit and the JBL version is available and functional. I have decided to go ahead and place my order again. My question is does this unit put out the 6 volts for the oem backup camera ?

scootter82 likes this.
  3. Oct 25, 2021 at 8:23 AM
    scootter82

Member:
    Aurora, CO
    Couple more questions. Can you show the Maps app in use? That's half the reason I would want this, for the giant map screen. Also will they be updating from Android 9 to Android 10? I see most other android units are on 10, Aucar even has one unit running 10 for another car manufacturer.

4. Oct 25, 2021 at 12:25 PM
    arcenik

arcenik [OP] TRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    ][-][//-\\\/\///-\\][][
    Vehicle:
    2015 X-Runner
    I have mine hooked to the stock backup camera so it must be putting out 6v I did not test the voltage but mine works fine.

I can hotspot to the unit later and make a video of the maps app. They have 2 apps one is google maps and the other is “here” or something like that.

scootter82[QUOTED] likes this.
  5. Oct 26, 2021 at 11:18 PM
    arcenik

arcenik [OP] TRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    ][-][//-\\\/\///-\\][][
    Vehicle:
    2015 X-Runner
    Its a no go on the bluetooth. I could not connect anything except a phone. Even a OBDII will not connect. From some other videos it takes a wifi OBDII adapter.

6. Oct 26, 2021 at 11:19 PM
    arcenik

arcenik [OP] TRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    ][-][//-\\\/\///-\\][][
    Vehicle:
    2015 X-Runner
    https://youtu.be/KqRnUDmYS4U

scootter82[QUOTED] likes this.
  7. Oct 28, 2021 at 6:12 PM
    Randys13taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Portland, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    13 Tacoma 4x4 DCLB Sport
    Bushwacker fender flares, husky floor mats, avs bug deflector. Avs in-channel vent visors,victory 4x4 roofrack, Naturnest rooftop tep wedge tent, Naturnest shower, Amp power steps, Fuel Vector bronze wheels, 12" antenna, snugtop cap, redline tuning hood struts, Magnum front and rear steel bumpers, rough country 2" front leveling spacer, ridgid dually driving lights, 50qt ARB fridge, 175 watt flexible solar panel and 30 watt solar charger, Rexing dual front and rear dash cam, Viair 150 psi compressor
    Well my unit is now sitting in customs down in Los Angles, not sure how long that will take but seems to be getting here quickly. Mine is the JBL version so if anyone wants an update during or after my install let me know and I’ll be glad to update on how well this version works out for me.

scootter82 likes this.
  8. Oct 29, 2021 at 6:41 AM
    oliver1539

oliver1539 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2022 Pro/2016 Off Road
    Nice looking unit. Would be interested when everything is worked out with it.

9. Oct 29, 2021 at 6:54 AM
    scootter82

Member:
    Aurora, CO
    Please do give an update, I have the jbl also.

10. Oct 29, 2021 at 3:16 PM
    ace96

ace96 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western KY
    Vehicle:
    '11 SWB DC TRD SPORT
    AVS bug deflector, Weathertech digital fit floor mats, TRD skid plate w/ Sockmonkey decal, SOS Cocept sliders w/ Line-x, Pioneer 3500, Hybrid Audio Technology Mirus 6X9s & 6.5s, back up cam mod, Wet Okoles-front & rear, TRD exhaust, 17X9 XD Spy w/ Falken Wildpeaks, Avid light bar
    This is pretty wild. Subbed.

11. Oct 30, 2021 at 10:59 AM
    Randys13taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Portland, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    13 Tacoma 4x4 DCLB Sport
    My unit has just cleared customs in LA and says to be delivered by Tuesday the 9th. When it comes in I will definitely take pics of the unit and wiring harnesses and all and give a video update on function too. Right now my truck has the backup camera in the rear view mirror but I’m going to install Camera Source’s mirror to stereo harness to move it so I can utilize the larger screen.

arcenik[OP] and scootter82 like this.
  12. Oct 30, 2021 at 11:24 AM
    scootter82

Member:
    Aurora, CO
    Have you thought about keeping the mirror cam, and also installing a second cam for the hu? Probably cheaper, and would be pretty cool to have two vids. I actually really liked the mirror cam when I test drove a 2012

nudavinci64 likes this.
  13. Oct 30, 2021 at 12:22 PM
    Randys13taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Portland, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    13 Tacoma 4x4 DCLB Sport
    I’ve gone back and forth on this for awhile now. I originally did not want to loose function of the temp or directional display but honestly I don’t really look at it. I already have a dash cam that has a camera on both front and rear bumper as well as a camera under the front bumper to see whats there when I need to. I do like the idea of a backup camera I just don’t like the little one in the mirror. Its a personal choice kinda thing.

scootter82 likes this.
  14. Nov 3, 2021 at 6:50 PM
    Randys13taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Portland, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    13 Tacoma 4x4 DCLB Sport
    Okay so its been a couple days now since I received my unit, it came very quickly. I first opened the box and lots of wires but no instructions at all. I immediately reached out to Aucarauto and then to the OP @arcenik for advice on which cable went where. He answered very quickly and pointed out that each plug has a slot of sorts so they only fit in one spot, thanks again for help. That allowed me to go ahead and start the installation. I didn’t bother with pics and video as I feel the OP did a good job there. I did move my backup camera to the head unit and BTW you do not loose the temp and directional display just the camera feed which is easily disabled in the menu on the mirror, otherwise you get a blank blue screen when you put it in reverse. There was no extra canbus box like with some of the other aftermarket stereos, it was built into this one, which is a nice feature as it makes it directly plug and play rather than having to search out the menu for a proper setting. I had to go through that with one of the Seicane units. This is literally plug and play no cutting or splicing wires everything you need for the install is included as well as an extra camera for backup or whatever you want.

Okay so my take on this unit. It fits the dash rather nice and once popped into place is very snug. You do not need the old head unit brackets at all for this one. It does take some fiddling with the menus settings to find things but isn’t too bad to figure out, more so if you’ve already had an android unit before. Once I realized there was two plastic coverings over the screen to protect it and removed them the touch screen was very fluid and intuitive to touch. Its very quick at loading different apps as well as adding them from the google play store. I didn’t like the Here I go gps preloaded maps so loaded the Igo navigation using my home wifi and that went very well. I especially like that they didn’t overload the unit with a bunch of unnecessary apps like my other android unit. Just what you need to get started and room to add what you want or need.

I really enjoy the split screen and being able to run and use two different apps at a time it seems to function very nicely. I have an Iphone 12 and the wireless carplay is a great feature and connects religiously every time. I can’t speak for the android auto as I don’t have one to test it on. I think the biggest difference will be the climate control being digital, although you do have the buttons on the side to use. I am finding it easier each time I use them and gives my truck a feel of a much needed upgrade. I really like the moving guidelines for the backup camera its a nice feature too. Overall I feel it was definitely worth the money and wait on the JBL version to be released. BTW the sound is incredible. So much better than stock or any other unit I have had. I can personally say I would recommend this to anyone wanting a major upgraded stereo to there truck. Aucarauto did email the wiring harness installation instructions so I do have them now and they told me they are working on the manual for release for all of its functions as well. Again I didn’t feel the need for a bunch of pics or video as the OP did a great job covering that but would be happy to post any pics if needed.

15. Nov 3, 2021 at 6:59 PM
    kcarlton831

kcarlton831 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kurt

Can you please get us some pictures of of the CarPlay setup. I think I want this unit but I use CarPlay for everything and want to see the interface specifically up top when carplay is enabled.

16. Nov 3, 2021 at 7:18 PM
    Randys13taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Portland, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    13 Tacoma 4x4 DCLB Sport
    7317EDD5-4EFB-4E2C-AFF5-65BE2BA1C118.jpg 79450866-0006-489F-9829-EC9D801EEAC1.jpg A03663CD-6926-4256-8141-EC1FBD87C7BE.jpg 06AA82AB-4354-4664-9D43-F8B9436A2897.jpg D60FD5B9-7DFA-4035-BEF1-37C7B821AB63.jpg So keep in mind its night here where I am but heres some pics…..the one thing to point out that when running carplay you cannot use the split screen function due to carplays app.

Edit: You can however use split screen with the other Igo navigation and any other app

Last edited: Nov 3, 2021
  17. Nov 3, 2021 at 7:37 PM
    Randys13taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Portland, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    13 Tacoma 4x4 DCLB Sport
    Heres what it would look like if you were running any other gps maps like igo or waze or whatever your preference is and say the radio or you needed to go to settings at the same time

EFB5FA5F-A432-4987-978B-06ACFF8B548A.jpg 165EB8CF-42A4-41D7-9425-0CB9610231BB.jpg

18. Nov 3, 2021 at 8:32 PM
    kcarlton831

kcarlton831 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kurt
    The top of the screen where is says “radio. Explorer.” Ect. Can you hide that when in carplay?

19. Nov 4, 2021 at 4:36 AM
    Randys13taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Portland, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    13 Tacoma 4x4 DCLB Sport
    Nope you cannot hide them, those are the loaded apps and allow quick access to them that way. There are more you just swipe left or right on them to go to the rest of them.

20. Nov 4, 2021 at 2:28 PM
    scmedic85

scmedic85 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greig
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB 4WD
    As I was scrolling through the pictures that the first thing I was thinking too.

That’s very disappointing. This setup would look 100x better if those could just go away. Would prefer to just have a home icon or button to go to a launcher screen like every iOS and android device.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2021
To Top