1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tesla style head unit

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by arcenik, Sep 15, 2021.

1. May 27, 2023 at 11:13 AM
    GrandTheftAngel

GrandTheftAngel Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Angel
    I'm guessing this is the reason most people don't show it. They already have their own.
    Also, about your glasses... maybe a giant tempered glass could help with that

2. May 27, 2023 at 11:55 AM
    SUMOTNK

SUMOTNK Pavement Pounder / Mall Crawler

Member:
    First Name:
    Eddie
    NorCal/South Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    Looks like a Gen2.5 TRD Sport, but really an '08 TRD OffRoad
    TRD Supercharged / OTT Tuned
    Same here. I just received my Aucar order this past week and it came with that single mini cube camera.

GrandTheftAngel likes this.
  3. May 27, 2023 at 5:21 PM
    Remotruker

Remotruker Active Member

Member:
    Eugene, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    07 Taco, 6 Speed Manual Trans, LSD
    Went down to Verizon today. The IMEI number wasn't in their database so they had to get one off an old random device headed to a recycler to setup the account. Once installed and screen restarted, it connected to the 4g network just fine!

scootter82 likes this.
  4. May 28, 2023 at 3:05 AM
    NastyBogging

NastyBogging Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCSB Tacoma Sport.
    The unit is plug and play with the factory backup camera if it's already using the factory head unit as a display. If the factory camera uses the rearview mirror as a display, you can order a harness to convert it to the head unit.

I've been unsuccessful trying to the mini cube style camera to work.

Naveronski likes this.
  5. May 28, 2023 at 12:10 PM
    TacoLeeSD

TacoLeeSD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRD sport/4 door/long bed/magnet metallic gray
    6 inch Procomp lift/ king shocks/ 35 inch toyo mud terrains/ 20 inch XD spy wheels
    Hey everyone,

so I have had me Aucar head unit for a couple months and just finally installed it this weekend. Overall, just messing with it for a short time I think it’s pretty neat! However the only issue I have noticed is hissing through the speakers prior to hitting play in any music app. I do have the JBL system and have read the issues that others have had with the JBL system and just wanted to see if anyone else has ran into this?
    At first I thought it was a gain issue and played with those adjustments but there was no improvement. Or is it time I replace the JBL amp?

6. May 29, 2023 at 9:19 AM
    TacoLeeSD

TacoLeeSD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRD sport/4 door/long bed/magnet metallic gray
    6 inch Procomp lift/ king shocks/ 35 inch toyo mud terrains/ 20 inch XD spy wheels
    I discovered that within the “console” app at the top of the screen there is a setting to adjust the output volume. I lowered this setting and the sound improved significantly! Hiss is almost non existent. Definitely good enough for now.

scootter82, Remotruker and SUMOTNK like this.
  7. Jun 14, 2023 at 7:58 PM
    BeeRad

BeeRad Member

Member:
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    2015 Silver TRD Sport DCLB
    I have been watching these units since they came out, and have been hesitant to purchase, but after following the recent 2nd gen release reviews, and with the stock unit's touch screen that stopped working a couple of months ago. I decided to pull the tigger and order one. The unit arrived a week later. Installed it, and have been using it for a little over three weeks now. No issues so far, and the fit looks factory, and the install was rather simple - after sorting and organizing the numerous harnesses and adaptors. All the while trying to read the tiny text on the instruction photos booklet :evil:. I did have to do a double take on which GPS plug to use - the white plug or the black. A quick little reference to photos I snapped of the back of the stock unit, and the white one it is. I also found that I had to connect the factory AC plug last. As mine was so short - the unit almost needed to be snapped into place for this one to be fully seated. I ended-up using the units shipping foam wedged between the dash and the shift lever to support the unit while I tested it before snapping it in to the dash mounts.

I ended-up routing one of the USB cables along with the SIM card cable through to the glove box for access while also keeping it out of sight. I kept the other USB cable going to the factory plug, and both are working properly. I also installed the provide mic, and routed it up to the top of the drivers side pillar. Installed the 4G antennas on the underside of the dash near the pillars. One on each side. Though I am not sure I will end using the 4G data capability. But while I was in there - right. I also installed a front facing camera while I was at it. Factory reverse camera works proper, and the factory sharkfin GPS is working great - I used the SUMI-SMA adapter from DiscountCarStereo. The OBD interface only provides speed and RPM. If you have CarPlay set-up with your phone, the unit wants to connect as soon as it is powered-up. This could be an issue for some and at times you don't want it to connect. But for me it has not been one - yet. This weekend I will be playing with using the phone as a hot spot for data to the unit. And my understanding so far with this unit. Is that if you are using CarPlay, you can't use the WiFi system on the head unit. Have some of you found this to be an issue or bothersome?

IMG_5483.jpg
    IMG_5486.jpg
    IMG_5487.jpg
    IMG_5488.jpg
    IMG_5500.jpg
    IMG_5501.jpg
    IMG_5502.jpg
    IMG_1382.jpg

8. Jun 14, 2023 at 9:26 PM
    arcenik

arcenik [OP] TRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    ][-][//-\\\/\///-\\][][
    Vehicle:
    2015 X-Runner
    Since you use CarPlay it don’t matter, but there is an option to turn off the auto connect for CarPlay. If you don’t need it.

The install looks great. I have had no issues with the second gen model also.

BeeRad[QUOTED] likes this.
  9. Jun 15, 2023 at 3:58 AM
    Airdog

Airdog did your Mom

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/airdogs-2012-prerunner-access-cab-slow-build.264263/
    If you plug in your iPhone thru the USB cable with the tag on it and use CarPlay thru that you can also connect your phones hotspot to the units WiFi. There usually a little dance you have to do to make it happen. You have to go to network settings on the unit after hooking up to CarPlay(wired) and turn off hotspot then turn on Wi-Fi and hook up to your phones hotspot.

BeeRad[QUOTED] likes this.
  10. Jun 15, 2023 at 10:44 AM
    SUMOTNK

Member:
    First Name:
    Eddie
    NorCal/South Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    @BeeRad any tips with the front camera install? Do you have it wired to a on/off switch? What trigger are you using or is it on constant?

I'm knee deep in this install.

11. Jun 15, 2023 at 7:23 PM
    BeeRad

BeeRad Member

Member:
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    Commuted in the truck today and had a chance to play around with this. Was not able to get the right dance to use CarPlay through the cable on either of the ports, even after turning off the devices hotspot, but I can quickly turn off Bluetooth through the phone and have set the Unit to auto connect to the phones hotspot was easy. Quickly getting the hang navigating through the menus. This is the first Android device I have owned. Been pretty straight forward so far.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2023
    SUMOTNK and Airdog[QUOTED] like this.
  12. Jun 15, 2023 at 7:48 PM
    arcenik

arcenik [OP] TRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    ][-][//-\\\/\///-\\][][
    Vehicle:
    2015 X-Runner
    I keep mine constantly powered.

BeeRad and SUMOTNK[QUOTED] like this.
  13. Jun 15, 2023 at 7:51 PM
    BeeRad

BeeRad Member

Member:
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    I had an open spot on my sPod. So I have it temporarily hooked up there - I really wanted to test the units end connections before I locked it into the dash. I have another light project I want to do soon on the front end that will occupy this sPod spot. So I will more than likely move it over to a fuse tap on a circuit from the engine bay box to be powered on by the ACC position.
    The connection on the radio end was simple. Just one RCA connection. Once I confirmed I had the proper RCA jack and video onscreen. I spent more time later figuring out the camera placement. Which is still not ideal. But with my front bumper. I am trying to balance view, protection, installation, and replacement. I would not mind trying to route a very small diameter line and nozzle, off the windshield washer line to be able to clean off this camera when it gets dirty - will see. One more project to add to the list.:facepalm:

Last edited: Jun 15, 2023
    SUMOTNK[QUOTED] likes this.
  14. Jun 16, 2023 at 5:46 PM
    SUMOTNK

Member:
    First Name:
    Eddie
    NorCal/South Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    Thanks guys. Maybe I'm overthinking the front camera. I'm using a "backup" camera on my front grille.

Ar first, I was concerned about it wired without a switch and having constant power (+12v ign) when driving. The logic was the backup camera is only used for short spurts, etc.. . Versus being powered up for possible hours. I didnt know if the camera would heat up to a point where there is shortened lifespan.

Then, I thought I should wire it to a switch and dreaded having to run it to relayed +12V because I would have to redo some wiring. Fortunately, the cam is spec'ed for >1A power consumption.

So I think I'm going with wired to a push button on/off switch (no relay).

Thanks again

BeeRad likes this.
  15. Jun 18, 2023 at 6:46 PM
    SUMOTNK

Member:
    First Name:
    Eddie
    NorCal/South Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    Is there another popular option or do people use a preferred home App instead of Quickstep or Nova7?

16. Jun 24, 2023 at 2:28 PM
    Randys13taco

Randys13taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Portland, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    13 Tacoma 4x4 DCLB Sport
    Bushwacker fender flares, husky floor mats, avs bug deflector. Avs in-channel vent visors,victory 4x4 roofrack, Naturnest rooftop tep wedge tent, Naturnest shower, Amp power steps, Fuel Vector bronze wheels, 12" antenna, snugtop cap, redline tuning hood struts, Magnum front and rear steel bumpers, rough country 2" front leveling spacer, ridgid dually driving lights, 50qt ARB fridge, 175 watt flexible solar panel and 30 watt solar charger, Rexing dual front and rear dash cam, Viair 150 psi compressor
    So a new issue has popped up with the first generation headunits and at least with iPhone 14 and the latest ios update 16.5.1 When you plug your iPhone into any usb outlet to charge, it triggers the liquid detected alert. This doesn’t happen on any other headunit I have tried my phone with and it also does it when my neighbor plugs his phone into my unit for charging, he has the same phone same update. I have submitted to Apple through their call center all relevant information including logs and such from my phone. Apples tech support is looking to see where the software might be clashing. I have also emailed Eric from Aucar notifying him of the issue, as Apple asked me to inquire if maybe its a need for an update or something on their end. My unit, to my knowledge, is up to date with the ones Aucar has offered and I did not have this issue prior to the ios update.just a heads up to those of you still with the first gen headunit if you have this issue get in touch with Apple support, they told me the more people that have the problem and report it the quicker it may be resolved. This is the alert prompted and Apple has determined its an issue caused by the update.

IMG_3848.png

SUMOTNK likes this.
  17. Jul 5, 2023 at 4:56 PM
    Remotruker

Remotruker Active Member

Member:
    Eugene, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    I’ve had mine(v2) about 2 months and honestly I’m disappointed. I’m a HAM operator and this thing puts out a lot of rf noise. I tried ferrite beads and no change. There doesn’t appear to be any kind of password protection either so if stolen any random ahole will have direct access to my Google info. Was hoping to use Bluetooth from my phone to Auto Unlock, but nope! Also OnX refuses to run coarse up regardless of north up setting disabled. Having to go into the hvac menu to turn off the fan is weak as well. I replaced a dying head unit so better than that, but not all it should be. Some apps split screen, some don’t like pandora. Many apps have elements covered up by hvac or volume control interface.

Android stereos are a crapshoot and this is no exception.

Uncle Cliffy likes this.
  18. Jul 5, 2023 at 10:29 PM
    GrandTheftAngel

Member:
    First Name:
    Angel
    odd that an android tablet would cause interference with ham... but good to know

19. Jul 6, 2023 at 11:14 AM
    Remotruker

Remotruker Active Member

Member:
    Eugene, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    Since it also has an amplifier, usb, LTE, etc and there is no fcc certification there is much more opportunity for spurious emissions with no oversight.

20. Jul 6, 2023 at 11:21 AM
    GrandTheftAngel

Member:
    First Name:
    Angel
    I'm not familiar with ham. I know certain canyons use another radio format that is not ham or cb. Do computers and phones also cause issues with ham?

To Top