1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Test Drive comparison

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by PMK, Dec 28, 2012.

1. Dec 28, 2012 at 6:31 PM
    PMK

PMK [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    10 DCLB TRD Sport
    White, debadged, Mudflaps removed, ICON 2.5 in front, 2.0 in rear, all 4 corners have reservoirs, Spidertrax wheel spacers all around, BAMF bolt on sliders, Avid lightbar, oem transmission cooler converted to power steering cooler, aftermarket transmission cooler eliminating all oem transmission cooler stuff, remote mounted spin on transmission fluid filter TrueTrac rear differential, rear diff housing vented and filtered into left side bed box, URD MAF calibrator, Volant intake scoop into oem airbox, second filter removed, airbox internals smoothed, blended and polished throttle body, NST intake manifold spacer, Wet Okolee set covers, WeatherTech Digital Fit mats, inexpensive JVC single DIN, Scangage, AVS Stepshield door sill protectors, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, URD Y pipe with O2 sims.
    Considering getting a new truck.

Inquired with the Toyota dealer about getting a 2013 Baja. Unfortunately they were unable to price the truck or offer any details about ordering or even delivery dates.

Started doing homework to upgrade the suspension on my 2010 DCLB Prerunner. Then was toying with what else is possible.

So, has anyone been around, owned or test driven a Ford SVT Raptor. Expensive truck. Called the local dealer and they don't have the one I want but may check out a different variation tomorrow.

So what's the good bad and ugly on the Raptor, The Baja, or keeping mine with upgrades and no warranty. I realize mine is not 4WD.

Not trolling, knowing I'll get slammed left and right on replies. But hopefully someone can offer some true insight.

PK

2. Dec 28, 2012 at 6:34 PM
    offroadwonder

offroadwonder Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    Aurora, CO
    Vehicle:
    '10 Tacoma DCSB 4x4 TRD Off-Road
    Chopped mud-flaps (yup, I'm hardcore)
    Umm, completely different animals. If you are in the market for a raptor then you probably shouldn't bother comparing the Baja Tacoma. The Baja is just a TRD off road with a few cosmetic changes.

On the other hand you can put a few thousand dollars strategically invested in your 2010 and have a better performer than the raptor.

3. Dec 28, 2012 at 6:36 PM
    Monster Coma

Monster Coma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Pittsburgh, PA/Houston, TX
    Sponsored by Mom and Dad
    Actually the baja has suspension upgrades as well but if you were in the market for a new truck buy a TRD off road or sport and mod it you can make them better then the Baja for the same amount of money..

4. Dec 28, 2012 at 6:43 PM
    The Traveler

The Traveler Desert Chief

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    1991 Toyota Pickup 4x4 Prerunner
  5. Dec 28, 2012 at 6:47 PM
    offroadwonder

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    Aurora, CO
    Vehicle:
    Eh, I throw those ”upgraded” shocks in with cosmetic upgrades. They add two inches of height in the front and a shiny reservoir in the rear.

6. Dec 28, 2012 at 6:54 PM
    PMK

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    10 DCLB TRD Sport
    White, debadged, Mudflaps removed, ICON 2.5 in front, 2.0 in rear, all 4 corners have reservoirs, Spidertrax wheel spacers all around, BAMF bolt on sliders, Avid lightbar, oem transmission cooler converted to power steering cooler, aftermarket transmission cooler eliminating all oem transmission cooler stuff, remote mounted spin on transmission fluid filter TrueTrac rear differential, rear diff housing vented and filtered into left side bed box, URD MAF calibrator, Volant intake scoop into oem airbox, second filter removed, airbox internals smoothed, blended and polished throttle body, NST intake manifold spacer, Wet Okolee set covers, WeatherTech Digital Fit mats, inexpensive JVC single DIN, Scangage, AVS Stepshield door sill protectors, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, URD Y pipe with O2 sims.
    Actually, from what is posted in many places the performance is very good. Also, these are not the small body Bilsteins, the fronts are 2.5" and yes there are rezzys.

Still trying to find out if the Tacoma Baja has a different x braced frame when compared to a regular TRD Off-road.

PK

7. Dec 28, 2012 at 6:55 PM
    PMK

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    10 DCLB TRD Sport
  8. Dec 28, 2012 at 7:00 PM
    offroadwonder

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    Aurora, CO
    Vehicle:
    I agree. That video is a perfect example of the difference between the two trucks... $17k would go a long way upgrading a Baja. Or better yet, $22k upgrading an SR5.

9. Dec 28, 2012 at 7:01 PM
    Monster Coma

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Sponsored by Mom and Dad
    Honestly man with the $8k you save by not getting the Baja you could build a truck with a lot nicer suspension set up with more off road armor. You have to decide if that $8k is worth it to have warranty on your suspension.

10. Dec 28, 2012 at 7:28 PM
    TeamSarcasm

TeamSarcasm Flawless Escalation to the Ludicrous

Member:
    The better coast
    I think another thing to think a out is the bed length. Correct me if I am wrong (which is quite a bit) but I don't believe that make a dclb with the baja package.

You will either have to cab space or bed length.

11. Dec 28, 2012 at 9:30 PM
    Larry

Larry CARL

Member:
    CARL
    I believe comparing a Tacoma with a Raptor is like comparing a Corvette with a Ferrari...

Yes both will perform simular tasks...but while one is very nice and capable...the other is a whole different animal.

12. Dec 29, 2012 at 12:22 AM
    PMK

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    10 DCLB TRD Sport
    In regards to the Baja, correct, I am stuck with a short bed Tacoma. Correct again regarding the availability of either an Access Cab or Double Cab.

The Raptor, regardless of the cab is only offered in a 5 1/2 foot bed. So the bed length is about 6" less than my current DCLB Tacoma.

Cab wise, I now have a Double Cab Tacoma but would go with a Supercab Ford, similar to the Access Cab Tacoma. The Raptor is also available in a Supercrew cab (4 door).

So overall, both trucks are offered in either an Access Cab style or Double Cab style with a short bed style.

PK

13. Dec 29, 2012 at 12:41 AM
    PMK

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    10 DCLB TRD Sport

The DCLB Prerunner is probably fairly capable in it's own right. My thoughts to make it better on a budget would be to upgrade the fronts and rear to Fox, King or other high end suspension in a 2.5 front / 2.0 rear series. Install some upper arms and gusset the spindles. I already have DT Short tube headers awaiting install and cats to weld on. Planned on building the rest of the exhaust going aft, no Y pipe, but rather two separate pipes into a 2 inlet muffler with a single outlet tailpipe. Already have the trans cooler and fittings ready to install. Been researching a Torsen locker diff also. So for $ 3k invested it would help make the prerunner more off-road worthy and unique. Tires would be upgraded but the stock TRD 17's would remain.

Today is the last day of the Tacomas warranty. Dropped it off on Thursday and was supposed to have it back already. All items were cosmetic, headlight cracks, roof rubber moldings, and rear door window trims.

The Tacoma has been fine for three years, I'm going to check out the Raptor if the other local dealer has one there. Maybe sitting inside it will be a deciding factor.

PK

14. Dec 29, 2012 at 1:18 AM
    PMK

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    10 DCLB TRD Sport
    Can you explain where you came up with $8k for a Baja.

This does bring to the forefront, what is an OTD price on a Baja vs a TRD OR being similar trucks.

The following is a Toyota Press Release for the 2012 Baja.

I have yet to find a means to compare the TRD OR vs Baja. Since you must buy an off-road pakage to get a Baja, how can Toyota claim the Baja option is less expensive than the Off-road option?

As is obvious, my dealer was ZERO help in any of this. Just explained that he would call me in a few months.

I highlighted some of the confusing sales info, at the bottom they show MSRP on the different versions. I agree it appears that, you buy a base truck, add in TRD OR package, then add on the Baja package. How does Toyota come up with the Baja being less money than an OR?

If the numbers are as you say, then yes it is smarter to build your own suspension setup and toss a TRD exhaust on for good measure. Excepting the warranty as you mentioned.

PK

TORRANCE, Calif., April 23, 2012 - - Toyota Motor Sales (TMS), USA, Inc., announced prices today for the TRD T/X Baja Series Package. Inspired by Toyota's Baja racing heritage, the truck reveals bold graphics with its name "Baja Series" and enhanced suspension, elevating the capability of Tacoma's TRD Off-Road pickup to a new level of fun and function. The special limited edition package will be available on select Tacoma 4x4 pickup trucks.

The TRD T/X Baja Series Package provides the customer with a great value and high level of capability that is backed by Toyota's standard vehicle warranty. The TRD T/X Baja Series Package is offered at an MSRP of $5,015 less a $650 Factory Credit. There is an additional savings because the package the Baja Series is built on top of, TRD Off-Road Package for the Baja Series, is priced below the regular TRD Off-Road Package.

Toyota has a rich Baja racing heritage that dates back nearly three decades and includes numerous titles at the legendary Baja 500 and 1000. Toyota's desert racing program has inspired the development of numerous TRD off-road focused products and packages over the years including the Tacoma PreRunner and TRD Off-Road packages for both Tacoma and Tundra. Last year, Tacoma's Off-Road Package was enhanced with the launch of the TRD T/X and T/X Pro packages. TRD now takes Tacoma off-roading to the next level with the development of the T/X Baja Series.

The T/X Baja Series will be available on both the Tacoma Access and Double Cab 4x4 models equipped with the TRD Off-Road Package. The Tacoma T/X Baja Series is equipped with a 4.0-liter V6 engine with either six-speed manual and five-speed automatic transmissions. In addition to an electronically-controlled locking rear differential, Active Traction Control (A-TRAC), Hill-Start Assist Control (HAC) and Downhill Assist Control (DAC) currently equipped on the TRD Off-Road package, the limited edition T/X Baja Series adds BF Goodrich T/A KO tires (LT265/70R16) and bead-lock style off-road wheels with an exclusive Gun-Metal Gray finish, TRD Cat-back Exhaust, increased front ride height of nearly two inches and unique Baja Series graphics.

The front suspension has been upgraded to include Ø66mm piston Bilstein race shocks with TRD coil springs that feature a protective zinc plated body and a one inch increase in wheel travel. The rear suspension is equipped with Ø50mm piston Bilstein race shocks with a remote reservoir to increase shock oil capacity for greater heat dissipation and damping sensitivity. The rear shocks also include a zinc plated body and a 1.5-inch increase in wheel travel.

The T/X Baja Series will be part of a Tacoma line that was updated for 2012 with a restyled front end and a refreshed interior in all models. Exterior changes included a redesigned hood, grille, headlamps and front bumper, among other changes. Inside, Tacoma received a new center-instrument panel design with a revised gauge cluster, along with a new steering wheel. A redesigned center stack added new air conditioner/heater controls and power point locations.

The 2012 Tacoma interior also received a new look with a black high-contrast center console, switch plate covers, dash and upper door trim, while the SR5 grade featured a new seat fabric design. Tacoma offers new heavy-duty all-weather flooring option for 2012 on Tacoma Access and Double Cab models equipped with a V6 engine. The more specialized TRD Sport and Off-Road packages also feature new water-resistant fabric protection seats.

All Tacoma TRD T/X Baja Series models will be built exclusively at Toyota Motor Manufacturing, Texas (TMMTX) in San Antonio and will reach dealer showrooms in May 2012. Prices for the Baja Series Tacoma do not include delivery, processing and handling fees (DPH), which are $810. The DPH fee for vehicles distributed by Southeast Toyota (SET) and Gulf States Toyota (GST) may vary.

2012 Toyota Tacoma Baja Series Model-By-Model Prices
    Tacoma Baja Series 2012 MY, Model Code, Series, Description, MSRP, TRD Off-Road Pkg for Baja ($), Baja Series Pkg ($), Baja Series Factory Credit, New MSRP

2012, 7553, Tacoma, Access Cab 4x4 V6 MT, $25,055, $3,570, $5,015, -$650, $32,990
    2012, 7554, Tacoma, Access Cab 4x4 V6 Auto, $25,935, $3,670, $5,015, -$650, $33,975
    2012, 7593, Tacoma, Double Cab 4x4 V6 MT, $26,455, $3,455, $5,015, -$650, $34,275
    2012, 7594, Tacoma, Double Cab 4x4 V6 Auto, $27,335, $3,555, $5,015, -$650, $35,255

All prices listed above exclude the Delivery, Processing, and Handling (DPH) fee of $810

Tacoma TRD T/X Baja Series Features
    Off-Road tuned front and rear TRD Bilstein racing shocks (Baja Version)
    Electronically-controlled locking rear differential (Comes on OR option)
    Active Traction Control (A-TRAC) (Comes on OR option)
    Hill-Start Assist Control (HAC) (Comes on OR option)
    Downhill Assist Control (DAC) (Comes on OR option)
    BF Goodrich T/A KO tires (LT265/70R16) with bead-lock style off-road wheels with exclusive Gun-Metal Gray finish (Baja Version)
    TRD Cat-Back Exhaust (Baja Version)
    Increased front ride height by nearly two inches (Baja Version)
    Matte Black T/X Baja Vehicle Side Graphics (Baja Version)
    Exclusive TRD Tailgate Badge (Baja Version)

15. Dec 29, 2012 at 1:20 AM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags

The Baja is an upgraded Off Road TRD... and there is no long bed Off Road... it wouldn't be a good off roader if it was longer... even the standard double cab bed is a bit long... do you remember what happened to my bumper when the truck was just 6 months old, going to Mission Santa Maria?

SDC10852_a01dd945a418cc3bf9fbf22b945f4cc1232ebf78.jpg

Photo taken after I pushed it back as much as I could!

16. Dec 29, 2012 at 5:40 AM
    yota243

yota243 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    E.J.
    north Alabama
    Vehicle:
    turbo 05 prerunner trd off road DC
    Bw s256 turbo with 3 in glass pack dumped pre axle raptor liner bed and top rails and fenderflares and rocker panels. Hunter side steps. Plasti-dipped upper fenders and emblems. satin black spray paint here and there inside and out. 5100's set to 1.75" up front . C channel front bumper. Maxxis bighorn 255/85/16
    Turbo (supercharge if u would rather i suppose) a Sr5 4x4 add a locker and 3" lift FTW. MY TWO CENTS COME OUT $15K LESS THAN THE raptor and prolly out perform it most anywhere.

17. Dec 29, 2012 at 6:25 AM
    4Wheelin4Banger

4Wheelin4Banger Supercharged Toyman

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Ferntucky, NV Halfway between Reno & Falabama
    Vehicle:
    2011 4x4 Access Cab Supercharged Silver State Edition 245WHP
    3" OME lift 885s & Dakars riding on 33" KM2s
    Do that to a new 4x4 TRD OR or Sport (if you want the DCLB)

18. Dec 29, 2012 at 9:53 AM
    PMK

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    10 DCLB TRD Sport

FWIW, it seems the Torsen = LSD like the 05 06 series Tacoma.

The headers would not fit but NBD.

Yes, Toyota has it pretty screwed up it seems saying a Baja is more truck for less $ than a TRD OR (tx or whatever it is called these days).

The one thing that could make it better in regards to selling my truck, is if it was not in the dealer for a few cosmetic warranty items on the last day of the year so I could go make a deal if I found the truck I want. assuming this one goes.

Three days in the shop for a 1/2 days worth of work. They probably crunched it and are repairing it without telling me. This service writer is a clown, he should have taken the truck in, ordered parts and gave it back, then call and reschedule when the parts get here. He doesn't answer his phone doesn't call back and says they are waiting on one part to finish it. Maybe by 5pm today.

PK

Thanks
    PK

19. Dec 29, 2012 at 12:19 PM
    Monster Coma

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Sponsored by Mom and Dad
    Looks like you have done some research which is very good. My $8k estimate was the price difference that I paid here in PA for my TRD Sport. My truck cost $30,000 (+/- a couple hundred) whereas they wanted $38-39,000 for a BAJA. But that was only at 1 dealership so the price range could be very different. That being said even with a $5,000 difference you can still do better. This summer I will be spending less than $5,000 on a full Icon Suspension set up (Stage 4 minus Icon UCAs and Total Chaos UCAs instead) and a plate bumper, IFS skid, and sliders.

20. Dec 29, 2012 at 12:25 PM
    Delmarva

Delmarva Mayor of TW

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 4runner Limited Looking for a Taco
    It's the wife's T4R so it's stock
    Buy a Raptor... I would... :)

Products Discussed in