1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Test drove a new Silverado...

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Jimsc, Dec 7, 2013.

1. Dec 8, 2013 at 9:24 AM
    DJB1

DJB1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    SLC, UT
    Vehicle:
    2003 Regular Cab 4X4 5MT

I'm no chevy-lover, but I think the car salesman was right. The tires are the weak link, not the manufacturer.

2. Dec 8, 2013 at 9:31 AM
    lj973gm

lj973gm Sold it, dont miss it yet.

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    06 DCSB 4wd
    2nd Gen springs have always had a different part number from what I remember and are also marked with a colored dot as a identification after the tag falls off but do very little to offset the lean.

3. Dec 8, 2013 at 9:33 AM
    Smooth Operator

Smooth Operator Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    G
    Central, PA
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport / Long Bed
    None
    So, you might actually like this one.

Yesterday we took our 5 Hilux's (Taco Kids Meal) and the one Tacoma LB I was driving in support in the rear. Now its winter time in Afghanistan and if anyone whose served can tell you that in the North, its gets cold and shitty quick.

I can't tell you exactly where we were, but we were up on dirt paths North of Jalalabad by about 15 miles. The elevation was at about 12,000ft. We were hauling two American teams in tow on this journey who decided against our offer to transport them and their equipment and decided to take their vehicles (Chevrolet Suburbans / Ford F250's / Chevrolet Silverado's) and of course their support elements of MRAPS and other heavy monster truck bullshit.

This was a one way road, no traffic other than the typical wide eyed Afghani, at seeing a white faced infidel. We led, obviously. MRAPS, didn't even make it past the water soaked asphalt. Literally, their nobby tires are useless, and any degree of angle upwards prevented them from moving. So instead of accept defeat, they provided security on the bottom of the route. Pointless, but whatever. That incident happened before the snow line of elevation. When we hit sleet, and the angle as relatively below 30 degree grade in some places, the Surbabans donned chains. We continued on, but after 100 meters, one transmission broke, and instead of accepting defeat, they too decided to drop and pull security 2 miles back with MRAPs.

Silverado's and us were left. Once we hit heavy snow, and ice covering the road (which was nothing more that dirt grade. They donned snow chains yet their back end was still too light. Both Silverados broke. Transmission literally cracked and the lovely red soaked the snow. Defeat, in my eyes. However Army has their pride and limped back, 5 miles down hill, coasting on their own inertia to the other group.

The Hiluxes made it to the top, 12000ft in elevation, white out conditions, 45mph from the West, and about -29 degrees. The Tacoma did the same, and I was happy for my haji rigged seat warmer / heating pad. The Hilux's were diesel, I was rocking the Mogas.

Sorry, but, American doesn't always mean better. I'll stick with Toyota.

4. Dec 8, 2013 at 10:11 AM
    PB65stang

PB65stang Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Kansas City
    Vehicle:
    2016 F150 Lariat 4x4
    5100s (2.5" front), OEM Raptor wheels, 315/70/17 BFGs, Undercover, tint, Weathertechs.
    I'm not comparing them to the Tacoma...I just made the statement that they were the front runners for my next purchase. I've made the comment on here numerous times that for me, the mid-size truck market has absolutely no value anymore. I get about 18 mpg in my 2009 DCSB Sport 4x4, and that truck new today is about $32-33k roughly. For about $40k, I can get a fully loaded F-150 King Ranch 4x4 with nav, heated and cooled front seats, heated rear seats, 10k lb towing, etc...and still get at least the same mpg. My guess is when I'm ready to buy, I can get a Denali for about the same.

I think the Tacoma is a great truck...it just isn't really competitive with the full-size market from a value/features/comfort standpoint anymore...to me. I know others will disagree, but to me the only reason to buy a Tacoma anymore is if you really want a smaller truck and/or value Toyota's name and past reputation on reliability that much. I think Toyota today prices their vehicles and makes up for its lack of innovation and vehicle improvements by banking on that exact reputation...whether it's warranted with the cars and trucks they make today or not. But that's a whole different discussion.

EDIT: I have a 2009 DCSB 4x4, so I have the ALSD you're referring to. I also have Hankook Dynapro ATMs (which have helped a ton). I'm not trying to imply the truck is horrible in snow...It's just not amazing. I had to use 4WD to get up that driveway in my sig pic anytime there was snow or ice, for example.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2013
  5. Dec 8, 2013 at 10:15 AM
    nd4spdbh

nd4spdbh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB TRD OR v6 Auto
    It was likely the tires.... i have a 01 Chevy 2500HD with the G80 auto locking rear dif and 4x4... and it does a damn good job... at x amount of spin it goes CLUNK and its a full locked rear diff. With Micheline MS2's driving on snowy icy mountain roads up to the local ski spots i would go and see how far i could get in 2wd.... very rarely i would have to flip into 4x4.

That stated... 1 radiator, 2 front hubs, various 02 sensors, multiple knock sensors, a TORQUE converter, a FULL transmission rebuild, Transfer case rebuild, steering components that build so much slop due to shitty deigns in 40k miles... and MANY interior problems... Oh and did i mention that bastard 6.0L v8 got 12mpg if you drove like a granny and has piston slap so bad you swore someone dumped a can of nuts and bolts down the intake. (and this is all on a bone stock non lifted or modified truck)

Theres a reason why a brand new '13 tacoma is sitting in the RV port and the 01 chevy is on the side yard....

6. Dec 8, 2013 at 10:48 AM
    Larry

Larry CARL

Member:
    CARL
    I don't this was intended to be a Tacoma vs. full size debate thread???

btw, that fully loaded King Ranch goes for 50K. and I'd enjoy having one.

7. Dec 8, 2013 at 10:51 AM
    PB65stang

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Kansas City
    Vehicle:
    2016 F150 Lariat 4x4
    5100s (2.5" front), OEM Raptor wheels, 315/70/17 BFGs, Undercover, tint, Weathertechs.
    I dunno...he kinda compared it to the Tacoma.

They do sticker at that. Search cars.com nationwide and you'll find a bunch of 2013s for 40ish.

8. Dec 8, 2013 at 10:55 AM
    bkg

bkg Active Member

Member:
    so the point is that the Toyota is better than the Chevy and that the salesman is an idiot?

sounds like he was spot on. You're comparing apples to oranges and complaining that the apples don't taste like orange juice.

Toyota lads suck. Always have. The Chevy locked up just as the sales person said, correct? What tires are on all of the trucks in your comparison?

9. Dec 8, 2013 at 11:19 AM
    Biscuits

Biscuits Thorny Crown of Entropy

Member:
    Swiggity swangin' biggity bangin'
    I've owned two Silverados and put 100k+ miles on each with little issue. There were things here and there, and yes the interior plastic was forgettable at best, but they did everything I ever asked of them quite well. Push them beyond their reasonable limits and stuff will break... Like every other vehicle out there. Have I seen the 4L60E transmission or G80 rear diff grenade? Of course, on trucks that saw a healthy dose of regular abuse.

If you want to say that they're ugly? That's different, and I'd be willing to agree with you. The Sierras look much better IMHO.

But only one person has asked to see the driveway in the same condition that OP describes and I think that's a very pertinent question to ask in a thread such as this. Yes, I know that this is a Tacoma forum and we're all fans of our Tacomas, but I'd rather beat out the competition, or show how superior our trucks are, in a fair head to head comparison. From first hand experience, the OEM tires that GM uses are terrible. Could the salesman have been correct? It's possible. From what I read, he was right that the diff automatically locked, which was the claim.

Think about it this way: if your locked Tacoma started spinning the tires trying to go up an incline, is it because it's a Tacoma? Is it due to a crappy rear differential? Or is it more likely that it has more to do with the piece of equipment that actually touches the ground and provides the traction?

10. Dec 8, 2013 at 11:41 AM
    na8rboy

na8rboy 18 DCLB Sport Cement

Member:
    WI
    Vehicle:
    18 DCLB SPORT CEMENT
    Just one thing to say on this...

REAL TRUCKS DON'T WEAR BOWTIES...

11. Dec 8, 2013 at 11:58 AM
    ABA180

ABA180 It burns when I pee....

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    East Bridgewater MA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab Slider
    Pioneer CD, Megaloud/JBL amps, Rockford/Polk speakers.
    Maineah, I bought American (GM) all my life. I do believe in supporting the American worker all other things being fairly equal. But when in 78K miles I need to have the head, cam, timing chain and a couple of other things replaced to the tune of about 5 grand..when I am lied to and screwed over by 2 dealers and when GM refuses to do anything about it..not to mention all the other stupid issues I had in 5 yrs on a new truck that's not used to haul, push snow, offroad, or anything else..well, to me those are not things that should happen, much less be brushed off as "normal".

Had GM done for me half of what Toyota did for my wife with her '96 Tacoma that rotted out, I'd have never stopped buying GM.

12. Dec 8, 2013 at 12:29 PM
    Gincoma

Gincoma Special Edition Member

Member:
    Salt Lake City UT
    Vehicle:
    RIPieces 2005 Tacoma, adios 2011 :'(
    Factory Monster Truck Package with reverse gear.
    So I guess my co worker got screwed paying 55k for his fully loaded King Ranch (new), if you can find one for 40k jump on it don't wait cause its unheard of bud.

13. Dec 8, 2013 at 1:14 PM
    12 TRD OffRoad

12 TRD OffRoad Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma SR 4x4 utility package
    GM is a global company. Besides, my Tacoma had more American made parts in it then some raggedy Chevy. Screw the American worker who's in bed with the unions. I'm not here to support them.

14. Dec 8, 2013 at 1:22 PM
    aficianado

aficianado Well-Known Member

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab. 4x4, TRD-OR + 2023 TRD off-road.
    back to bone stock.
    i envision myself towing around an Airstream trailer one day. so i would get a full sized truck. my hunting trips, my tacoma is a tad small for people and gear. but i love my truck. i am so confident in its reliability.

i'm not sure it could back up a wet-leaf slick driveway with an empty bed. it's a fine line between physics and tire traction..i think my truck would have trouble as well.

OP..so you just had to do a u-turn and go up the driveway nose first?

15. Dec 8, 2013 at 1:37 PM
    Steves104x4

Steves104x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    BUCKLE UP! It makes it harder for Aliens to pull you out of your Truck.
    I like the base 2wd Silverado. I'd have to modify the shit out of it but I think it would be killer. It's the cost of getting it done that scares me. We'll see how the reception is on them.

16. Dec 8, 2013 at 2:28 PM
    PB65stang

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Kansas City
    Vehicle:
    2016 F150 Lariat 4x4
    http://www.cars.com/for-sale/new/fo...oPrice-trId-drvTrnId&pgId=2102&drvTrnId=27105

Hopefully that link works...305 2013 KR 4x4 new models in the country under $45k. Including approximately 10 under $40k. So it's not unheard of, bud.

Your coworker got screwed.

17. Dec 8, 2013 at 2:42 PM
    HBtaco02

HBtaco02 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Allen
    Huntington Beach
    Vehicle:
    02 4wd SR5 TRD
    ARB Front Locker grey wire mod Camburg UCA's Extended Kings All-Pro expo's 10" Bilstien Brute Force Hybrid front bumper Smitty XRC8
    I had a 2006 silverado crew cab 2500. Was a nice truck never had any problems. Just too much truck. I did not need it for towing anymore. I don't know about the new ones. Personally I would not buy one after the government bail out. B.S.

18. Dec 8, 2013 at 2:45 PM
    Larry

Larry CARL

Member:
    CARL
    I did some serious tire kicking this afternoon. (nice on Sunday because you don't have salesman following you around as soon as you exit your vehicle)

my findings: (may not be the opinion or observations of others)

- the new GM trucks (I checked both Jimmy & Chebbie) are not for me. the exterior is boxy. the interior is fugly (especially the dash). I wont even address the politics, even though I could as a past buyer of at least a dozen new GM trucks.
    and that step in the bumper is awful looking and not so handy ( I tried it)

- the Dodge Ram...I drove past and didn't even get out of the truck. I just cant get past the stupid ram on the grill & tailgate. although, I understand the attraction for the heavy duty guys and the Cummings diesel.

- Nissan Titan, 46K (are you effin kiddin' me)...next

- Ford F150. actually a real nice looking truck. I did see a white FX4 that was appealing to me for 50K. but it was a 2013 and a little too much bling with the 20" wheels and all the fancy interior leather and navi and stuff. if the company buys it for me, OK. but not my 50large.
    Also, the King Ranch is effin AWESONE!!! however, I believe you have to be the right man for it to "fit". if you a big 'ole hoss who wears Wrangler jeans...point toe boots and cowboy hat, this is your truck. If you're 5-8 and wear hiking boots or deck shoes and cargo shorts...maybe not so much. L0L

- Honda Ridgeline for grins & giggles...nice grocery getter and mulch hauler. but not in my driveway. (I have a bud who drives one...it does ride real nice though)

- Tundra. this truck I like. I mean I really like a lot! The body styling works for me, as does the interior. (the angular finish of rear bumper wrap around is a little different (but not fugly like the GM steps) and the grill looks good from a few steps back (close up or in pictures it appears large and out of balance)
    I like how you can get the bucket seats and console in an SR5. (all the other trucks you need to step up to leather, etc. to get the setup)
    I also like the V8, not he turbo bost 6cyl.
    For 40K msrp, I can get a crew max 4x4 Sr5 w/ 5.7 V8. A search on Tundra forum and I find this truck is being bought in the low/mid 30's.

Of course most on the lot have all the SE Toyota added on crap, like 300dollar rubber mats, and 200dollar door edge guards, etc. But I did like the spray-in bed liner. not sure it's worth 500bux, and not sure how the spray-ins hold up. I'd rather a 100dollar bed mat and call it a day.

I believe my search is done.

19. Dec 8, 2013 at 2:49 PM
    PB65stang

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Kansas City
    Vehicle:
    2016 F150 Lariat 4x4
    I love this post. Big props to you for giving everything an honest look and deciding what works best for you, and not just going in it blindly. I wish you the best of luck!

20. Dec 8, 2013 at 2:54 PM
    Steves104x4

Steves104x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    BUCKLE UP! It makes it harder for Aliens to pull you out of your Truck.
    Well done and why a Taco is sitting on my driveway.

Products Discussed in

To Top