1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Test Drove, have ?s

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by leveltwo, Apr 28, 2011.

1. Apr 28, 2011 at 1:11 PM
    leveltwo

leveltwo [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Test drove a 4x4 DC TRD Sport, and have a few questions

When accelerating, there was a weird engine noise almost like a ticking or something, test drove a different one and it had the same acceleration noise, what is that?

The steering seemed to be kinda stiff to the steering wheel, took a little more muscle than I expected... is this normal for the tacos?

2. Apr 28, 2011 at 1:14 PM
    fajitas21

fajitas21 XMF - Extreme Mexican Food fo Life!

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Orange, TX
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma DCSB Off Road
    Usually the "ticking" goes away with better fuel or higher octane btw. 89 and 91 do the trick for me, and it's only about $1.50 more per fillup. Doesn't hurt anything though, so you can run 87 all day if you'd like to save a buck.

3. Apr 28, 2011 at 1:19 PM
    jassco

jassco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Boston
    Vehicle:
    2010 Access Cab 2.7L SR5 5spd, 4x4
    5100 set to .85 w/ rear TSB, 2012 Rear-view Mirror, Grillecraft, Team Trails FJ Wheels, TPMS canister, Rear headrest delete, Rear console delete, Valley Hitch, Frame undercoat, $2.99 Tailgate hose clamp lock, Avid light bar, 4x4 lighted switch ala Biceman.
    I'm sure it would be nice to buy a $30k truck and not have to do this but.....more on normal engine tick and reduction of noise if so inclined....
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/43632-ticking-engine-one-fix.html

As far as steering I think there are so many variables, but on average its stiffer then most cars, lux suvs and such. However I didn't find mine stiff given I came from a Jeep, so it probably depends on what you were used to before. Try another on the lot if you are unsure.

To Top