1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

test drove my first Taco today! Question about TRD dbl. cab REAR seats & other Q's

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by NiceGuyEddie, Nov 28, 2009.

1. Nov 28, 2009 at 10:27 PM
    NiceGuyEddie

NiceGuyEddie [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Chino, SoCal
    Vehicle:
    none yet
    test drove a Tacoma today!

i sat in a few models first, there was notable difference in the seats of the TRD vs. the standard SR5. much firmer, more supportive seats. the SR5 seats seemed like the kind of foam that would squish down in time and leave a hole where your ass goes, but that's just my guess.

questions that i came up with on the way home from the dealer:

1. are the REAR seats of a TRD double-cab upgraded as well?

2. i noticed the head restraints in the extended cab come down, what about in the double cab? the rear seats would be un-used 99% of the time and i'd like more visibility out the back window.

3. EDIT: the double cab and 4x4 models would be heavier than a standard or extended cab, do they really all get 20mpg?

4. does the bug deflector really help keep bugs off the windshield?

5. this SoCal dealer had the dealer prices listed about $800 above msrp. is that normal?

6. who makes good quality black seat covers for the front and rear seats?

7. is there a website that has aftermarket Taco stuff?

2. Nov 28, 2009 at 10:33 PM
    jodiddly33

jodiddly33 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonah
    DFW
    Vehicle:
    2010 Golf TDI
    3. could you reword maybe?
    4. no idea, but I think it looks bad in my opinion
    6. wet okole
    7. not just one but MANY. Taco's have the advantage of tons of aftermarket upgrades to make it yours

3. Nov 28, 2009 at 10:36 PM
    wareagle5693

wareagle5693 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5
    3" Spacer Lift, with Bilstein 5100s front and rear, BHLM, Satoshi grill, Blacked out tail lights, Midland CB radio, 4' Radio Shack antenna mounted in the bed, Volant CAI, Gibson Exhaust, Magellan GPS, debadged, aries bull bar, pro comp 7089 wheels, Pioneer DEH-P6200BT head unit, eagle eyes halo projector, 8000K DDM tuning HID bulb
    1. yes.
    2. i don't think so..
    3. umm? The gas mileage on all the models are roughly the same
    4. no it doesn't, and it looks terrible.
    5. can't help you there sorry.
    6. wet okole
    7. yes tons just do a little searching on this website.

4. Nov 28, 2009 at 10:38 PM
    LEBM

LEBM Thread Killer

Member:
    Eleanor, WV
    Vehicle:
    15 DCSB TRD Sport 4x4 - Pyrite Mica
    In my '09 DC, the head restraints in the back seat are removable. And IMO, bug deflectors are more trouble than they are worth. Good luck with your purchase! :thumbsup:

5. Nov 28, 2009 at 10:39 PM
    KaoskrewPB

KaoskrewPB -Empty-

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Went from: Icon coilovers, Light Racing UCA's, SpiderTrax Wheel spacers, T Rex Eye lids color matched, Rear AAL, Iron Dirt light bar, Hella 500's, Blacked out door badges and front grill badge, Blacked out Hella light covers, Trailer Brake controller, JVC Arsenal KD-AHD69 HU, Sony Xplod Amp To completely stock :(

1. Yes I believe they are

2. I think you are talking about the head rests, yes they are all removable in the front and rear seats

3. My double cab 4x4 does get less than a normal extended cab or single door truck, no by a whole lot though. Probably about 2 or 3 less

4. Not sure I hate the look of it and is not worth it to me

5. Walk in and be very serious about buying the truck. Tell them you are ready to buy. If they quote you a price that you think is too high, stand up and walk out. I guarantee they will chase you down an offer a much lower price.

6. Toyota has some very nice quality TRD seat covers for like 200 bucks I think.
    Do not buy the cheap ones on eBay they are udderly rediculous in quality.

7. I'm not sure if there is a site that sells all types of Tacoma parts.

6. Nov 28, 2009 at 10:46 PM
    NiceGuyEddie

Member:
    Chino, SoCal
    Vehicle:
    none yet
    THANKS FOR THE RESPONSES SO FAR

guess nobody likes the bug deflector!

the only thing i don't like about the Tacoma is that i wish it offered black interior. i'm a black on black kind of guy. i am hoping for aftermarket interior parts, maybe a carbon fiber kit or something to cover the the silver dash. door panels, black seat covers, and ???

7. Nov 28, 2009 at 10:54 PM
    rhoppas

rhoppas Land of Oz

Member:
    Topeka, KS
    Vehicle:
    07 Double Cab V6 TRD Sport Tow
    Earnhardt Cannons, Terra Grapplers, Viper alarm, Hunter4x4 Bull Bar, 6" Pro Comp Off-Road lights, extra set of bed D-rings, Chrome exhaust tip, Metra Ipod/MP3 adapter, Garmin GPS, CarriageWorks grill, Maglite mounted to driver seat, 9" Stubbie Antenna, WeatherTech floor liners, Saddleman Neoprene seat covers, DeeZee bed mat
    You have some pretty good answers already. I would just like to elaborate a bit on a couple of the topics. The Toyota brand bug deflector is well known to dig into the paint on the hood in a very short amount of time. If you really want a bug deflector then get an aftermarket one.

The TRD seat covers mentioned above are very good, however, they are only available for the front seats. The Wet Okole seat covers are the gold standard by which all others are compared. However, they are quite pricey. This site occassionally has a group buy on them during which time you can get them about 20% cheaper.

There are quite a few of us that get 16-18 mpg with the DC 6cyl 4x4. I get approx 18 in the summer and 16 in the winter. If you drive like grandma you can get 20.

Good luck with your purchase. They are really nice trucks!

8. Nov 28, 2009 at 10:58 PM
    rhoppas

rhoppas Land of Oz

Member:
    Topeka, KS
    Vehicle:
    07 Double Cab V6 TRD Sport Tow
    Earnhardt Cannons, Terra Grapplers, Viper alarm, Hunter4x4 Bull Bar, 6" Pro Comp Off-Road lights, extra set of bed D-rings, Chrome exhaust tip, Metra Ipod/MP3 adapter, Garmin GPS, CarriageWorks grill, Maglite mounted to driver seat, 9" Stubbie Antenna, WeatherTech floor liners, Saddleman Neoprene seat covers, DeeZee bed mat
    Buy some black Wet Okole seat covers, some black Weathertech floor liners (which are another gold standard on this site), and paint your radio surround black, and you would be a long way toward your black interior. However, your wallet will be much lighter.

9. Nov 28, 2009 at 11:04 PM
    wareagle5693

wareagle5693 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5
    3" Spacer Lift, with Bilstein 5100s front and rear, BHLM, Satoshi grill, Blacked out tail lights, Midland CB radio, 4' Radio Shack antenna mounted in the bed, Volant CAI, Gibson Exhaust, Magellan GPS, debadged, aries bull bar, pro comp 7089 wheels, Pioneer DEH-P6200BT head unit, eagle eyes halo projector, 8000K DDM tuning HID bulb
    quite a bit lighter. I want to get the Wet Okoles and Weathertechs... but I don't have the money right now. But if you go with seat covers and floor liners, that's the best to go with. ;)

10. Nov 28, 2009 at 11:07 PM
    jodiddly33

jodiddly33 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonah
    DFW
    Vehicle:
    2010 Golf TDI
    I sooooooooooooo want the weathertech digital fit liners. Super schmexy.

11. Nov 29, 2009 at 9:20 AM
    NiceGuyEddie

Member:
    Chino, SoCal
    Vehicle:
    none yet
    thanks for your help, guys.

i'm not a spontaneous person, nor a Mr. Moneybags. i haven't purchased a new vehicle since 1990, i'm still driving my 1990 Acura Integra.

i also have a Cobra Kit car, but that's another story.

if my job outlook looks good in January i'll pull the trigger.

12. Nov 29, 2009 at 9:35 AM
    KaoskrewPB

KaoskrewPB -Empty-

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Went from: Icon coilovers, Light Racing UCA's, SpiderTrax Wheel spacers, T Rex Eye lids color matched, Rear AAL, Iron Dirt light bar, Hella 500's, Blacked out door badges and front grill badge, Blacked out Hella light covers, Trailer Brake controller, JVC Arsenal KD-AHD69 HU, Sony Xplod Amp To completely stock :(
    ^^
    you bet man.
    I hope you buy a Tacoma you will love it.

Good luck

13. Nov 29, 2009 at 10:10 AM
    monrad

monrad Coprolite

Member:
    B'wood, SC
    Vehicle:
    09 DC short box TRD Sport, TM
    Avid light bar+RBG, Lightforce 140s, fog mod, FSM badges, Bobcatoshi grille + Stampede, JDM DRLs, TRD cat-back, rear spring TSB, AccessLE
    Regarding bug deflectors: Well-designed deflectors, like Stampede, attach using existing mounting holes under the front of the hood -- no screws to scratch the top. Most do a good job of protecting the leading edge of the hood from chipping due to rocks and other debris. None, in my experience, protect the windshield.

14. Nov 29, 2009 at 10:24 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 Rubicon Unlimited,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    All Double Cab rear seats are the same. For more visability, I removed the rear center head rest, as I wont ever have 3 adults in the back.

15. Nov 29, 2009 at 4:16 PM
    Asgard

Asgard Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner DC SR5 w/LSD
    X2

16. Dec 2, 2009 at 4:38 AM
    FoxySandChick

FoxySandChick Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kristin
    Henderson, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 4x4 Base model V6 Impulse Red Pearl
    De-badged, limo tint, black wet okole's, weathertechs, extra d-rings, TSB bilsteins
    The non trd/non sr5, prerunner or 4x4, double cab comes with more black interior than the sr5/trd trucks.

Not the best pic, but I have black dash, stereo, steering wheel, shifter...I added all black Wet Okole seat covers in front/rear and just recently added black Weathertech floor liners in front/rear. It also comes with black bumpers, black grill, black fenders.
    [​IMG]
    Added black wheels, limo tinted windows and I recently de-badged...got rid of all the chrome.
    [​IMG]

Just another model to take a look at especially if you are looking to save a little $$ and don't mind adding the little things yourself. ;)

To Top