1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Test drove TAcoma TRD OR and SR5 then Ford f150; how I rate these...

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by lightfire, Dec 10, 2009.

1. Dec 10, 2009 at 7:55 PM
    mibpf

mibpf Active Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    12 Tacoma 4x4 4 TRD
    I owned a Ford F150 XLT for 10 years. It was a very solid truck and so far the most reliable truck I have ever owned. My wife drives a 2003 Toyota Sienna which has been a very good vehicle also. This year I sold the Ford to try a Tacoma Prerunner double cab TRD. The verdict is still out. I have had it in the shio twice, one time for a window switch that went bad and the most recent for the Auto Shifting TSB. My friend recently had his in for a sqeaking issue. Even though the dealer made all of the repairs, I am wandering if I should have purchaced another Ford F150. It had more room, gas milage was about the same with a larger engine. I will say trying to compare the two is like comparing apples and oranges. If your comming from a larger truck, I think it's a harder transition. It has taken me a while to get used to the smaller bed and inside cabin. The biggest regret I have in purchasing the Toyota is I did not get a 4x4. ​

2. Dec 10, 2009 at 8:11 PM
    tuckr2

tuckr2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western Washington State
    Vehicle:
    2010 Silver dbl cab LB 4x4 It's Purdy too!
    LT265/70/17 BFG A/T's, Disabled Seat Belt Buzzer, Black and Gray Covercraft Seat Covers front and rear, Matching SnugTop Supersport Canopy, undercoat, bed mat, window vent shades. Black Weathertech Liners. Trans TSB, Rear Spring TSB Installed.
    I just sold my 02 F150 4x Supercrew. Got 14,000. Really pretty happy as i originally paid 27K. Bought a New 2010 double cab 4x long bed TRD Sport. Went to Toyota basically a couple of reasons. The Ford was more expensive and mileage was not nearly as good. I will say Toyota in stock form whether SR5 or TRD does not ride as nice as even my 02 Ford. Just bigger seats and way more comfortable. I drove the SR5 and noticed the same thing. Seats were more comfortable than the TRD's. They appear short underneath the leg with causes some minor discomfort. Ford seats are definitely longer underneath. All that said, I really love the Toyota. Great looks, good mileage, very good return on investment. And lastly, fun to drive. K:)

3. Dec 10, 2009 at 8:17 PM
    GTVAPSAMTIK

GTVAPSAMTIK Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    SOHAIL
    Fort Carson, CO
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OFF-ROAD 4X4 Automatic
    EXTANG Tuff WeatherTech Liners Toyota Bed Mat Coverkind Seat Covers
    Toyota FTW. That was one of the reason I picked TOYOTA instead of FORD or DODGE.

4. Dec 10, 2009 at 8:29 PM
    Drakken

Drakken Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    Silver Streak Mica 2006 AC 4X4
    Traded a 2001 Ford F-150 Supercrew 4x4 w/ the 5.4L Triton V8 in it for my 2009 Tacoma SR5 DoubleCab. Don't get me wrong I loved the Ford and had planned on keeping it till the wheels fell off but after I got stranded in it twice in the matter of 10,000 miles that made the decision for me (truck had less than 100k on it). I wanted something more reliable and was a bit easier to drive and park with city traffic. I am happy with my Tacoma and it is comfortable for me to drive and I am 6'4" and over 200#. I do miss the size and power of the Ford sometimes but the Tacoma does everything I need a truck to do. Once I get a lift installed I will be even happier.

Just my 2 cents worth.:deadhorse:

5. Dec 10, 2009 at 8:33 PM
    Rhino8541

Rhino8541 I like ze best!

Member:
    WA
    Vehicle:
    2017 QS DCSB OR
    Lol, when was that?

6. Dec 10, 2009 at 8:35 PM
    jdkeller

jdkeller How many words can be fit in this s

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Inland Empire, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma Prerunner TRD Offroad
    Dome light LED, 6000k HID Headlights and fogs, Grillcraft black mesh, rear 5100's, Total Chaos UCA's, 285/75/16 BFG KM2's, Spidertrax spacers, Blacked out emblems, cb,kenwood tm270 ham radio, All Pro 3" leaf pack, Fox 2.0 coilovers, Revenge Fab Sliders, u bolt flip kit, Pioneer avh4200, bed bar with light and antenna, Wet Okoles, Weathertech Mats, Wet Okole Armrests, Rear KR Fab bumper, bed mat, N-Fab spare tire carrier with full size spare on 16" TRD rim, Bedlinered flares and grille. Camburg Spindles, All Pro front fenders.
    My sister has a 2005 f-150 and her tranny just went out. 65k miles. I only like the rangers and older f-250's 7.3 liter diesels. I think it's 7.3. Those things last forever.

7. Dec 10, 2009 at 8:41 PM
    Griztaco

Griztaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    ID
    Vehicle:
    TRD
    what are you guys talking about TRD OR vs SR5??

My TRD OR IS an SR5...:) Unless they put the wrong emblam on my truck.

8. Dec 10, 2009 at 8:41 PM
    jdkeller

jdkeller How many words can be fit in this s

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Inland Empire, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma Prerunner TRD Offroad
    Dome light LED, 6000k HID Headlights and fogs, Grillcraft black mesh, rear 5100's, Total Chaos UCA's, 285/75/16 BFG KM2's, Spidertrax spacers, Blacked out emblems, cb,kenwood tm270 ham radio, All Pro 3" leaf pack, Fox 2.0 coilovers, Revenge Fab Sliders, u bolt flip kit, Pioneer avh4200, bed bar with light and antenna, Wet Okoles, Weathertech Mats, Wet Okole Armrests, Rear KR Fab bumper, bed mat, N-Fab spare tire carrier with full size spare on 16" TRD rim, Bedlinered flares and grille. Camburg Spindles, All Pro front fenders.
    Pry just the non trd package.

9. Dec 10, 2009 at 8:46 PM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5 DC/SB V6
    Magnaflow 12576 muffler & chrome tip, Westin step bars, 27% tint, Pop N Lock, AFE ProdryS, bed mat, Husky liners, D-rings added, Access Literider tonneau, Pioneer 4-ways all around, GY Wrangler Duratracs 265/75/16, 5100's @ 1.75", 1.5" AAL
    Two things:

1. Comparing a full size to a compact (midsize) is nonsense. Apples to oranges, IMO.

2. I love watching people who clearly haven't owned Fords make these "agonizing" decisions about considering "jumping ship". I've owned all manner of Fords and they were all junk with horrible trade in/resale value. There's a reason I'm driving a Toyota now and it's not because I loved Fords for 20 years and wanted to buy something else on a whim.

10. Dec 10, 2009 at 9:08 PM
    lightfire

lightfire [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    70's

Re: Apples and oranges. Don't think so. The size of a standard cab Ford is actually less than a double cab Toyota in length. Gas mileage advertised within a few mpg. Leg room about the same. Acceleration about the same. They are both trucks. Not apples and oranges.

I had an F250 that crapped out on me, bad transmission twice in 40k miles. But I do note in one of these threads a lot of folks have had problems with their Tacoma as well.
    Wish they were still made in Japan.

11. Dec 10, 2009 at 9:22 PM
    billyjoe

billyjoe Taco Fever - I've got it bad!

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Richmond, VA
    Vehicle:
    13 DCLB V6 4WD LTD
    Extang Trifecta Tonneau
    I've owned them all (GM, Dodge, Ford & Toyota). Bought an "certified" almost new (<10k miles) '97 4x4 Ext. Cab F150 in the summer of '97 from CarMax. This truck was a great vehicle for the first year. Then the nuisance issues began - transmission slipping/hunting, check engine light repeatedly going on, spare tire cable broke (yep, lost the spare), "leaky" spark plug wires causing misfiring, warped rotors causing brake vibration, ATF "brokedown" causing wierd shifting behavior, etc. Three consecutive visits to the dealer @ $700 each. As much as I had enjoyed it during the initial year, I began to wonder on a daily basis what was going to go wrong next. When I finally decided to sell it, it was quite a slap in the face how much book price had fell from what I had paid just 2 years prior.

Friends of mine have owned Tacomas or Tundras for the last 10 years and NEVER had issues like the above. The worst I've heard was a friend who bought an '09 Taco and found the radio was acting up. Warranty replacement cured that issue. When they sold, they extracted what I thought were ridiculously high values from their vehicles (compared to used domestics).

I had always been too cheap to spend the money for a Toyota - especially for less than a full size. Then came $4.00+ gas. Fuel economy & resale finally convinced me to take the plunge. I bought a used '05 4x4 V6 Taco w/45k on it. After performing all the 30k & 45k maintenance myself (previous owner wasn't exactly conscientious), I can safely say this is the most reliable (& enjoyable) vehicle I've owned in my 35 years of driving (not to mention the fun of adding mods).

So, now that I've written a tome, I 'll sum up by saying when considering a truck purchase, you need to think long and hard about RELIABILTY, RESALE and ECONOMY besides functionality, comfort, cosmetics & price.

BUY THE TOYOTA! :thumbsup:

12. Dec 10, 2009 at 9:37 PM
    kjf216

kjf216 Fitz

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Ridley Park, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
    Head unit, speakers, LEDs
    i used to drive my dads 06 f150 fx4 is a nice truck if u need the sized, but for its size and weight the power sucks, honestly not well built trucks. we have had so much trouble with it since he got it. now that i got my 08 tacoma i would never go back to the ford

13. Dec 11, 2009 at 6:49 AM
    el_smurfo

el_smurfo Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bit of a dick thing for me to say, but if the seats are pinching your sides, maybe choosing a truck isn't your "biggest" problem?

14. Dec 11, 2009 at 6:56 AM
    Taco-NB

Taco-NB MMMMM Taco's

Member:
    New Brunswick
    Vehicle:
    '09 4X4 SR5 Access Cab V6 - Black Sand Pearl
    Good luck getting the posted fuel mileage on the F150.

If you need to tow a big trailer then you should go with the F150 or, even better, the Tundra.

15. Dec 11, 2009 at 6:57 AM
    TacoCat

TacoCat These pretzels are making me thirsty

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnny-5
    Chantilly, VA
    Vehicle:
    22 JLUR 6MT
    That one confused me too.
    The tacoma will definitely hold the resale value better than the F-150 IMO.

16. Dec 11, 2009 at 7:07 AM
    roy826

roy826 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mississippi
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prerunner TRD Sport DC
    Value definetly goes to toyota. I got half what I paid new for a 7 year old tacoma on trade in. I don't think that will happen on a ford. Toyota has slipped in quality the past few years but are still considered the benchmark to which all the others strive to be.

Stay with the Toyota money well spent.

17. Dec 11, 2009 at 7:08 AM
    SportyTuRD

SportyTuRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    I just did this same comparrison...but for a Used Vehicle...05 tacoma vs. 05 f-150
    almost the same miles almost the same price...

What helped me was this:
    resale down the road the Toyota will be worth more...
    The Tacoma is smaller but it Tows/payload and interior size all meet my needs...(check what your needs are)
    I occassionally have to drive into and through the city...So the tacoma is much easier to get around in and park if needed...

IF you decided you Actually need a full size due to pay load or towing needs, may i suggest to look at a Sr5 4.6L V8 tundra...it will cost about the same as the ford...MPG will be about the same and it will do everythign teh ford will for about teh same Money...

$30,000 give ro take will buy the folllowing:
    TRD off road Loaded equipment V6 Tacoma
    SR5 access cab(well equipped) 4.6L Tundra (same HP as 5.4L F-150)
    moderatly equipped F-150 w. 5.4L V8

18. Dec 11, 2009 at 7:11 AM
    lightfire

Member:
    :):):)

I am a large guy but not overweight. I think it has to do with the contour of the seat - the SR5 had a different (better for me) contour - but no lumbar support.

19. Dec 11, 2009 at 7:16 AM
    Bellis

Bellis friggin rad

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    mass southshore
    Vehicle:
    pyrite 6-speed 2012 offroad
    driver mod
    had a ford now have my second yoda never looked back

20. Dec 11, 2009 at 7:16 AM
    lightfire

Member:
    Yes, I looked at a reg cab Tundra the other day. The guy that was driving it said he got 14 mpg. Nice looking truck, for sure.

I think the seats is , for me, the most reason for my hesitation on the Tacoma. But hell, I drive a 93 Toyota 4x4 right now with about 300K miles on it, got my money's worth many times over.

Products Discussed in

To Top