1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Testing the TSS on my new TRD Sport

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016+)' started by Rjwz28, Aug 12, 2019 at 10:39 PM.

1. Aug 13, 2019 at 9:43 PM
    markmizzou

markmizzou Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    17 SR5 V6 4x4 AC AT tow pkg. Blue as they come
    A back step for when I get older, N-fab step bars , Carhartt seatcovers, 4Runner wheels, Topper, and "tats all folks"! --for now!!
    Thank you for clearing up this misunderstanding.

2. Aug 13, 2019 at 9:44 PM
    Bishop84

Bishop84 Well-Known Member

Member:
    It does work below 25mph, it simply can't be replicated without a need for the emergency brake.

TacoMamba35 likes this.
  3. Aug 13, 2019 at 10:05 PM
    Mobilefhone

Mobilefhone Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '19 TRD Off-Road 2WD Double Cab
    It works anytime above 7mph.

A cardboard box can do the job to get the pre colision warning to kick on. An inflatable pool with painted red tail lights could possibly work to stop the car.

Source: worked on a few Toyota commercials.

DEF3C6C9-DEF9-49C3-8C21-66C5500B9DE2.jpg

4. Aug 13, 2019 at 10:09 PM
    El_Rocinante

El_Rocinante Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Pete
    Vehicle:
    2019 Cavalry TRD OR dcsb 4X4
    I’m so dumb...I never thought to use a box.

Mobilefhone likes this.
  5. Aug 13, 2019 at 10:11 PM
    Mobilefhone

Mobilefhone Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Lol it took awhile to get that one. We tried all kinds of things before choosing a cardboard box on set. Works like a charm but I will warn you it's loud! No damage to the cars we would do it on, but super loud.

6. Aug 13, 2019 at 10:21 PM
    TacoMamba35

TacoMamba35 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD OR DCSB
    Port: Tonneau cover, bed step Personal: OEM mud guards, AVS Rain Guards
    Of all the answers, I think this is the best. Some are confusing the DRCC with pre-collision systems.

Pre-collision is always working above 7mph or so. It will take you to a dead stop, as much as physically possible, to avoid an imminent collision with pedestrians or even vehicles.

DRCC uses the same hardware to maintain cruise control distances at speeds above 25mph. Toyota states it will provide braking force to reduce speeds by 25mph if needed. So, if you're cruising at 60, it will take you to 35 no problem. I'm sure the actual number is greater, but that's what the manual states.

I love the DRCC, but always have my foot ready. It's nice to know pre-Collison is there, but I hope I never have to test it.

Mobilefhone likes this.
  7. Aug 13, 2019 at 10:33 PM
    Traegermaster

Traegermaster Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kamloops - BC
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma TRD
    5100's/5160, Eibach coils, Icon leaf pack, SCS Ray10s
  8. Aug 13, 2019 at 10:40 PM
    Mobilefhone

Mobilefhone Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Thank God everyone was alright! Looks like a rough accident. Now in regards to airbags going off, it all depends on injury to the passengers and the forces being put through the vehicle. If the system doesn't determine airbags are needed and the seatbelts are fine for the accident, they shouldn't deploy. Now if they deployed it could have injured the passengers (black eyes, cuts/bruises etc). The airbags are really just there to save your life, and although they can injure someone, it's better than being in a body bag.

9. Aug 14, 2019 at 6:11 AM
    oogielaflick

oogielaflick Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    Vehicle:
    2019 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4-door; Prvious 23 year owner of 1996 Tacoma
    Quicksand with hood protector, color matching decals on tailgate latch, mudflaps, glovebox, and tailgate hitch cover.
    NO. But again, it depends on what part of the TSS you are worrying about. The PCS part is always on, UNLESS you turn it off manually, and if you turn it off, there will be a light in the dash that comes on saying "PCS System Off", which is REALLY annoying. And then, once you turn the engine off, the next time you turn it back on, by default, the PCS system will again be turned on, which is as it should be. Other aspects of the TSS system, are the DRCC, which of course, is only active when cruise control is switched on, obviously. BSM [Blind Side Mirror] is active if you turn it on by pushing the button at the bottom of the dash. This informs you whether there is or are, objects in your "blind side", which is quite handy, as from my experience, there are plenty of blind sides in the truck! I personally just leave that button depressed, or "on", all the time. Then, another part of the TSS system is the Lane assist feature, which warns you ONLY, if you are digressing from the lane by crossing lines. This can be very handy if you are on a long trip and worry about getting tired and varying within the lane. This is also something that must be turned on by depressing the button on the steering wheel. It defaults to Off and must be activated when you want it. If you have the Technology package, which was an option, it warns you about people or objects coming at you from the rear or side, such as if you are in a parking lot and backing out of a space, if someone is walking towards the rear of your vehicle with a shopping cart, say, then the system would warn you that an object is approaching, which is a pretty good feature. This is automatic if you have this option. I think this covers it!

Products Discussed in

To Top