1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Texas BS Thread

Discussion in 'Texas' started by achirdo, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Aug 21, 2018 at 10:24 AM
    SuperBad

SuperBad Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Dallas, TX
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM Tacoma OR DCSB
    Truck stuff
    27f fits in the stock location, just doesn't fit the stock plastic bottom pc. I installed a 27f last week and just set it on top of the thin plastic pc that its too big for.
    Yup. See above.
    It's a 2yr or 36k mile, whichever comes first, battery warranty. I missed it on both, 4 days over 2yrs and also 9k miles over last week.

2. Aug 21, 2018 at 11:20 AM
    su.b.rat

su.b.rat broken truck

Member:
  3. Aug 21, 2018 at 11:38 AM
    Tacoaric

Tacoaric Well-Known Member

Member:
    Dallas, Texas
    Vehicle:
    King Ranch F250 Powerstroke
  4. Aug 21, 2018 at 11:56 AM
    su.b.rat

su.b.rat broken truck

Member:
    this is great and i'm so scattered from work right now that i didn't even think of it... been looking to upgrade and didn't think of the warranty. ima call Toyota of Denton and get this comp'd! but i'm still going to go forward on the 27F upgrade. my bigass stereo is killing the battery on startup due to my capacitor. the stocker can't keep up.

5. Aug 21, 2018 at 1:23 PM
    SuperBad

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Dallas, TX
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM Tacoma OR DCSB
    Truck stuff
    If your taking it in for warranty unhook all aftermarket items from the battery. They would likely say those items caused the battery to wear out early and won't cover it.

gulzeb likes this.
  6. Aug 21, 2018 at 1:24 PM
    TexasTacoma713

TexasTacoma713 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 Tundra
    You can just cut the end of your 2016 tray and make it fit.

su.b.rat[QUOTED] likes this.
  7. Aug 21, 2018 at 1:48 PM
    su.b.rat

su.b.rat broken truck

Member:
    stereo? I'm wired up from the bay back and can't hide it. think they'll deny me cus of that?

SuperBad[QUOTED] likes this.
  8. Aug 21, 2018 at 4:35 PM
    SuperBad

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Dallas, TX
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM Tacoma OR DCSB
    Truck stuff
    They might, I'm not really sure. It seems like most dealers will find any reason they can to deny a warranty claim. I personally would move it off the battery to give them less reason to try and deny the warranty. Just unhook from the battery and move the cables up by the fire wall, I wouldnt go any farther than that and then you can reconnect it all in a matter of minutes. They likely wouldnt look any farther for a reason but if they see something that pulls extra power from the battery in plain view its something they could use against your claim. I dont know whether they would use it for a denial of warranty or not but from what I've seen(read online) if there is anything they can use to deny a warranty claim they will use it so that they can charge you to make more $$$.

9. Aug 21, 2018 at 5:13 PM
    Naveronski

Naveronski Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fort Worth
    Vehicle:
    2014 MGM DCSB TRD:OR
    Luckily, the law works in your favor, though many people are not aware of this. In order to deny the claim, they are supposed to prove it was your modification that caused the problem. Many people just accept the first answer given, and do not escalate as necessary.

10. Aug 21, 2018 at 5:16 PM
    Tacoaric

Tacoaric Well-Known Member

Member:
    Dallas, Texas
    Vehicle:
    King Ranch F250 Powerstroke

Not saying where I took it, but I literally took the branch out and they replaced it under warranty... lol. They get paid either way.

CA63D045-3FC4-4483-BD7D-8EBCC13AB56F.jpg

11. Aug 21, 2018 at 5:31 PM
    SuperBad

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Dallas, TX
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM Tacoma OR DCSB
    Truck stuff
    Yes this is true. I'm was just providing my thoughts to possibly make this easier to be taken care of rather than turning into more and it taking longer. It would be easy for them to claim that an amp for after market stereo parts is drawing more power from the battery which was the cause of the battery going bad early. How they prove that, I have no clue.

Naveronski[QUOTED] likes this.
  12. Aug 21, 2018 at 5:52 PM
    Naveronski

Naveronski Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fort Worth
    Vehicle:
    2014 MGM DCSB TRD:OR
    And I agree with you. Just want him to know not to accept an automatic denial as definite.

13. Aug 21, 2018 at 6:01 PM
    SuperBad

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Dallas, TX
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM Tacoma OR DCSB
    Truck stuff
    Its a very good point to make and understand that I didnt comment about :thumbsup:.

I was a little sad when I realized I was past my warranty last week. Would have been nice to save the money I spent on a battery and put it towards a better battery setup. Sadly I couldnt wait since I DD my truck and had to be able to reliably get to work. At least its a small upgrade going to a 27f. Just wish I could have gone to a deep cycle instead of the basic one I grabbed at Autozone. It at least has a 5yr pro rated warranty!

MattCowsmasher likes this.
  14. Aug 22, 2018 at 4:57 AM
    CowboyTaco

CowboyTaco $20 is $20

Member:
    North Georgia
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD Sport
    Deep cycles have worse warranties, if at all. I'm not sure why you would need a deep cycle as your starting battery. Heck, I even opted for an AGM over a deep cycle for my dual battery.

15. Aug 22, 2018 at 5:29 AM
    gulzeb

gulzeb G

Member:
    First Name:
    Gulzeb
    Fort Worth, TX
    Vehicle:
    Two 08 Highlanders, 11 Outback, 13 Outback
    In order of install: Tint all around Weathertech floormats Center console insert and tray 17x7.5 +15mm alloy FJ rims, painted black Morimoto 2stroke led low beams Toyota bed mat AVS in-channel vent visors Removed black stickers from doors Removed air dam Debadged JDM ASTAR reverse leds Door sill protectors Reflective black tailgate inserts Rear cam anytime Fabric console cover Extra coverage engine guards Rigid SAE fogs Kicker/Subaru in-dash speakers JBL GT7-96 front door speakers JBL GT7-6 rear door speakers Hushmat deadener and wave breakers in doors Noico deadener behind rear seats Timbren Tortun4L rear bumpstops Added Line-X'd OEM flares OEM mudflaps Skid from TRD OR Avid Off Road front bumper guard Fatmat hoodliner 2nd gen 5100's with 2885s Sway bar relocate Cut off exhaust behind spare Wet Okoles on front seats Wheelers Superbumps Wheelers 2” single AAL ATH corner tie-downs ATH bed stiffeners Line-X’d rear bumper end caps TRD Sport/OR tail lights OEM bed step TRD Pro grille Fortin remote start Leer 180 Sleeping platform in bed 265/70/17 Terra Grappler G2 BPF front recovery point OV Tune 1.04 87 Westin 30” hidden bumper light bar Rago hidden bumper brackets
    agm is just a sealed battery construction type. Deep cycle batteries are often agm.

What’s the purpose of a second battery if you can’t cycle it? Just using it to get double the starting power?

16. Aug 22, 2018 at 7:35 AM
    CowboyTaco

CowboyTaco $20 is $20

Member:
    North Georgia
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD Sport
    No.

I did mis-speak before. I moved the OEM battery to the second battery spot and put an AGM as the starter.

However, that being said, I will likely purchase another AGM that is a normal battery for the aux. batt. The reserve time on the deep cycle and the regular AGM battery was the same at 120 minutes. The 20 amp hour rate is the same at 55. While I didn't necessarily care about the crank amps and cold crank amps, they are also the same at 890 and 775 respectively.

Regular battery: https://www.samsclub.com/sams/durac...e-78dtagm/prod3590233.ip?xid=plp_product_1_22

Deep cycle: https://www.samsclub.com/sams/durac...e-sl34magm/prod3590225.ip?xid=plp_product_1_4

Deep cycle has an 18 month warranty vs. the 36 month warranty of the regular battery.

I know that a deep cycle is designed to be more depleted and revived for more cycles. However, my fridge cuts off when the battery drops down to (i think) 10.7 v regardless. Since the reserve time is the same and the warranty is better on the regular battery, the choice was easy. Disclaimer: this is not for my Tacoma, but is for another Toyota.

edit: I also didn't realize some deep cycles were AGM. The only ones in stock when I was looking were not. However, my stance remains.

SuperBad likes this.
  17. Aug 22, 2018 at 9:51 AM
    gulzeb

gulzeb G

Member:
    First Name:
    Gulzeb
    Fort Worth, TX
    Vehicle:
    Two 08 Highlanders, 11 Outback, 13 Outback
    In order of install: Tint all around Weathertech floormats Center console insert and tray 17x7.5 +15mm alloy FJ rims, painted black Morimoto 2stroke led low beams Toyota bed mat AVS in-channel vent visors Removed black stickers from doors Removed air dam Debadged JDM ASTAR reverse leds Door sill protectors Reflective black tailgate inserts Rear cam anytime Fabric console cover Extra coverage engine guards Rigid SAE fogs Kicker/Subaru in-dash speakers JBL GT7-96 front door speakers JBL GT7-6 rear door speakers Hushmat deadener and wave breakers in doors Noico deadener behind rear seats Timbren Tortun4L rear bumpstops Added Line-X'd OEM flares OEM mudflaps Skid from TRD OR Avid Off Road front bumper guard Fatmat hoodliner 2nd gen 5100's with 2885s Sway bar relocate Cut off exhaust behind spare Wet Okoles on front seats Wheelers Superbumps Wheelers 2” single AAL ATH corner tie-downs ATH bed stiffeners Line-X’d rear bumper end caps TRD Sport/OR tail lights OEM bed step TRD Pro grille Fortin remote start Leer 180 Sleeping platform in bed 265/70/17 Terra Grappler G2 BPF front recovery point OV Tune 1.04 87 Westin 30” hidden bumper light bar Rago hidden bumper brackets
    The deep cycle you linked is agm

18. Aug 22, 2018 at 11:30 AM
    CowboyTaco

CowboyTaco $20 is $20

Member:
    North Georgia
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD Sport
    Yes, I know. That was intentional.

I did not know that deep cycles came in AGM before, but I do now.

gulzeb[QUOTED] likes this.
  19. Aug 22, 2018 at 11:34 AM
    ChadsPride

ChadsPride Tacoma Owner & Enthusiast

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Sponsored by TacomaWorld.com
    Going to be out at Hidden Falls Sunday morning if anybody would like to join.

HCFab, MattCowsmasher and gulzeb like this.
  20. Aug 25, 2018 at 9:41 AM
    HCFab

HCFab Hudson Custom Fabrication

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Central Idaho
    Vehicle:
    Overland 04' v6 4x4 5spd Xtracab, Lunar Mist.
    Hmmm :crazy:

This still on? Me and the wife want to test out her "new" 04' and been wanting to hit HF for a while.

ChadsPride[QUOTED] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top