1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Texas Vehicle Inventory Tax Scam!

Discussion in 'Vendor Reviews' started by originalthoughts, Apr 15, 2010.

1. Apr 15, 2010 at 10:23 AM

originalthoughts [OP] Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2010
    2010 DC TRD OR 4x4
    Tailgate Anti-Theft, SnugTop Xtra Vision Shell, WeatherTech Mats, Extra D-Rings, Bed Mat, K&N drop-in
    I'm in the process of buying a 2010 Tacoma and got a copy of the purchase order agreement today. I started reviewing it and immediately noticed a $0.11 error in the dealer's math. So this got me looking into what the tax rates were and how the dealership calculated them.

Upon doing a little research into what each tax item was for I found this posting on consumerist.com

Granted the links were old and busted so I did a little searching and found the 2010 Dealer Manual on TX DoMV's site:

Sure enough on page 1-3 it details the Vehicle Inventory Tax (VIT) as the following:
    "Vehicle Inventory Tax (VIT) - A property tax that dealers pay on their business inventory. This is NOT a tax that is required to be paid by the consumer."

So as a heads up to anyone out there buying a vehicle in Texas this is a tax for the dealership not you and you DON'T have to pay it.
To Top