1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

TFLT Tacoma TRD Pro vs Raptor vs Power Wagon

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by jonmartin, Feb 16, 2017.

1. Feb 16, 2017 at 11:25 PM
    jonmartin

jonmartin [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Vehicle:
    CEMENT 17' TRD PRO 6MT
    TRD CAI Intake, Audison Bit ONE HD,Audison AV 5.1k HD Amp, Focal/Voce Speakers , Morimoto HID,Bakflip MX4..More to come
  2. Feb 16, 2017 at 11:40 PM
    PapaBear

PapaBear Never test how deep the water is with both feet.

Member:
    First Name:
    Austin
    SIN CITY
    Vehicle:
    07 DCSB PR 4.0... Aaaand she’s GONE
    Soft Suspension Hard Rubber ®
    Toyota stuck their hand in a niche market held by a bigger and better vehicle, and charge accordingly ;) Ram finally caught on, but safety ratings will keep them behind the curve, and Ford, well, Ford is just making bank off of the niche market they created. I think I judge 2nd gen pro owners a little less than 3rd gen pro owners mainly because of that auto tranny and 3.5, both gens could have easily gone cheaper and upgraded beyond what the Pro offers. Now if a Pro owner bought the pro with the intention to never upgrade it EVER, then I take that back, but who doesn't upgrade there truck besides garage queens that never see a day of dirt in their life. No offense but it's a truck, use it accordingly, even if its an xrunner, even if you lower it yourself and track it, you know for certain one of your buddies is gonna call up and ask for you to move something... BECAUSE YOU OWN A TRUCK! You better be up for the task or the truck god's will whoop your ass.:amen:

90yota, Modesto Tacoma and henryp like this.
  3. Feb 17, 2017 at 12:08 AM
    SeeWhatHadHappenedWas...

SeeWhatHadHappenedWas... Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremiah
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2017 OR DCSB MT Quicksand
    It looks fun wish I was doing that. But seeing it makes me feel like I need to upgrade some before I go there.

4. Feb 17, 2017 at 12:16 AM
    jonmartin

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Vehicle:
    CEMENT 17' TRD PRO 6MT
    TRD CAI Intake, Audison Bit ONE HD,Audison AV 5.1k HD Amp, Focal/Voce Speakers , Morimoto HID,Bakflip MX4..More to come
    Personally I hope they do come out with a supercharger kit its underpowered should have at least a small v8 I mean its not like it gets great gas mileage for the lack of power. Luckily there only real complaint other then power is the tires but thankfully thats an easy one.

5. Feb 17, 2017 at 12:31 AM
    SeeWhatHadHappenedWas...

SeeWhatHadHappenedWas... Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremiah
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2017 OR DCSB MT Quicksand
    Yeah tires easy, you have a pro so your suspension is alright. I'm still stock OR so I need a little more clearance. I'd think we would get a turbo before a supercharger. Lexus is making a twin turbo LS series with the 3.5 motor. I would think that might be readily adapted to our trucks. The Raptor already has turbos so why not. And the motor in the LS with those turbos puts out about the same horse power as the Raptor so maybe it might be a better drag race next time. The Raptor does have that cray 10-speed transmission to help it too. Well maybe at least beat the Ram Power Wagon LOL.

Link to Lexus LS
    http://jalopnik.com/the-new-2018-lexus-ls500-gets-a-twin-turbo-v6-and-drive-1790972200

6. Feb 17, 2017 at 2:50 AM
    Modesto Tacoma

Modesto Tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    central california
    Vehicle:
    LIMITED 4X4
    I will enjoyed watching it and wish I was there. All three trucks did great in their own ways. I agree Toyota needs better tires. Tacoma best midsized truck for offloading. Full size I prefer the powerwagon. Personal preference. But one thing I will say and even tho they can't do to much with these trucks because their loaners is they proved that any truck with 4 wheel high and low can go in these trails.

7. Feb 17, 2017 at 10:40 PM
    jonmartin

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Vehicle:
    CEMENT 17' TRD PRO 6MT
    Agreed

8. Feb 18, 2017 at 8:32 AM
    Threerun

Threerun Well-Known Member

Member:
    Lost in Montana *recalculating*
    Vehicle:
    2016 Silverado LTZ
    6.2L 8spd stock
    Nice review. People used to poo-poo my old Dodge 2500 diesel. Too big, to unwieldy.. But the reality is I took that beast off road a lot and it really never had a problem. Tight turns were a little interesting, but I managed.

Truck1_525337fe3558882763326e7d4dcbcd941f4f0682.jpg

Pretty evident the stock TRD-Pro tires suck. Toyota should put KO2's or Duratrecs on stock. At least on the Pro's.

I like the Power Wagon out of all three- It seems to be a little more utilitarian than the bunch. Bigger, but can just do more.

9. Feb 18, 2017 at 4:38 PM
    pocketsmcaaron

pocketsmcaaron Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    '16 OR MT DCSB WHT Prior:'15 MT ,'94 MT
    Snugtop Rebel,TRD Pro Bilsteins,2" Block rear,SR Grill,TRD Beadlocks,Toyo AT 2s,Focal Experts,Kicker AmP & 10" Sub
    Fun video and review! Although, they should have had a Tundra Pro in that lineup, instead of a Tacoma Pro. It's like putting Sugar Ray Leonard in the ring with Mike Tyson (Raptor)and George Foreman(Ram).

Last edited: Feb 18, 2017
    big_jarv likes this.
  10. Mar 9, 2017 at 10:30 PM
    Midknight

Midknight Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western Canada
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Off-Road
    I love that power wagon. If I had the space I would trade in my tacoma for it hahaha. Maybe if I get that house one day :p

11. Mar 9, 2017 at 10:32 PM
    Midknight

Midknight Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western Canada
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Off-Road
    I agree 100%. You look at the ZR2 coming out with good tires and rock sliders from the factory....two things I put on my taco, but would have been cool to have from the get go. Nice Ram btw :)

Products Discussed in

To Top