1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Thailand..... Anyone been there?

Discussion in 'Travel' started by MudFlap, Mar 8, 2014.

1. Mar 8, 2014 at 10:34 AM
    MudFlap

MudFlap [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Memphis (north mississippi)
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Off Road
    My common law wife is Thai and we are booked to fly there on the 31st of this month. All the stupid crap aside (IE sex trade, lady boys, and "rub & tug") what are some of the sites to see? We will be mainly in Bangkok and right now we have a few days planed at Ghan Ginaht Buri (I know thats not spelled right but just sound it out LOL) where we plan to ride elephants and hike trails and swim in some water falls and stuff. Then after that we plan to fly to Phuket and take the 2hr boat ride out to Koh Phi Phi Island and hang out there for 3 or 4 days, then back to Bangkok.

So is there anything to add to the list? I am an action seeker, and dont find "laying on the beach" very much fun at all. So gimmie all the tips ya got......

2. Mar 8, 2014 at 12:21 PM
    Joe D

Joe D .

Member:
    Sounds like a nice trip Tim. What town you neat in MS?

3. Mar 8, 2014 at 12:45 PM
    MudFlap

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Off Road
    I live not far too far from you up in Hernando :D

4. Mar 8, 2014 at 1:44 PM
    jamesinkeys

jamesinkeys Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    james
    florida keys
    Vehicle:
    pre runner
    pimped
    MudFlap,...Bangkok, English spoken everywhere, Thais love western culture, and westerners. Great city to get around in tuk tuks. Dirt cheap, and fun. tour the city in a tuk tuk for a couple of dollars. Must see the Jade Buda at the royal palace. Dont forget the romantic river cruises that cruises the old city and residential canals. Fantastic seafood,restaurant, clean sidewalk fare at night, lobsters super cheap(everything is). From hotel, book a short day tour(morning, pick you up in a tour van) to the famous floating market, beautiful, romantic. Hotel, book a tour to see the old fishing villages, see and feel the differences between the muslim village(dagger looks) to the regular Thai. This, where you see the famous clear sea, and the high rock formations with trees on them(James Bond movie).One more day trip from hotel. Tour van takes you to the original bridge on the River Kwai. Walk across, then back to train ride that American prisoners built then died. another tour van takes you back to the hotel, very historical. Have to go back as Thailand is the most stress free, beautiful, inexpensive, friendly city in the world. You will hate to leave, and planning to come back before you leave.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2014
  5. Mar 8, 2014 at 2:48 PM
    MudFlap

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Off Road

Awesome info there James..... Thanks!

6. Mar 10, 2014 at 6:49 PM
    theredofshaw

theredofshaw Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Somewhere on the East coast
    Vehicle:
    not a taco (guess that means I can be a MOD now)
    (totaled) 2011 Tacoma DC
    Love Thailand. Been to Phuket twice (2nd time don't remember much after I was acting the typical sailor). I do remember, watch out while walking down the streets, you might get herded into bars and then special "shows" start. It was a mandatory 2 drink minimum at jacked up prices. However, once past the 2 drinks, the cheap menu comes out.

Definitely enjoy your beach time. Try doing a snorkeling or scuba tour (or get scuba qual'd relatively cheap). I rode elephants in Phuket. You can always avoid getting a hotel and rent a house and driver like we did. Had a 3 bed 3 bath house for cheap and paid a driver $60us/day to take us wherever we wanted (split this all 3 ways and it was even better).

(By special shows, I mean some sick and twisted #$@# that I don't care to see again lol)

7. Mar 20, 2014 at 2:00 PM
    aficianado

aficianado Well-Known Member

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab. 4x4, TRD-OR + 2023 TRD off-road.
    back to bone stock.
    been there 3 times. favorite place on the planet.

last time it got tainted when revolutionist took over the airport. at the time, it was a very tame revolution. maybe one single molotov cocktail thrown. as i understand it, they have up their game. be careful.

in Bangkok (not at home, so dont have my travel notebook) awesome market. it was HUGE!! you almost needed a GPS to navigate it. i cant remember the name. i never even poked my head into a sex place. i understand they put KIDNAPPED girls in there..so i stayed out, just in case.

food is awesome, but being married to a thai chick..probably pretty common? and when you exchange your american money for thai bhat..prepare to feel rich!! i think they handed me a 1.5" thick wad of cash..it was awesome.

i use Bangkok kinda like the hub. south east asia is the best trip ever. all the trips originate out of bangkok. have fun.

8. Mar 20, 2014 at 2:31 PM
    MudFlap

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Off Road
    Thanks for the awesome info guys, we are getting our stuff together now and starting to pack. So far we have 5 suit cases and a backpack stuffed for the trip. The lady has some friends that will guide us around a little bit here and there, but for the most part we are on our own. But I am looking forward to this trip, we leave in 11 days now. I have never been this that far away from home either. I have taken cruises and went to Mexico last year, but.... Thailand...... its on the other side of the earth!

I have always loved flying and I have been studying the plane we are flying on witch is a 777-300er. When we booked this flight 5 months ago, we chose this paticular airline and flight for the newer A380 with better creature comforts for the 15 hour flight. But I speculate that ticket sales are low for this specific flight so Korean Air chose to go with a smaller plane witch makes sense. Our travel agent chose our seats for us too, when she told us that she assigned us seats A and C I was like WTF?!! She told us that people dont like to book that middle seat (B) so we stand a good chance at having that whole little row to ourselves. And this crap with this missing plane doesnt make me feel great about flying either...... go figure..... its the SAME damn plane model too!

9. Mar 20, 2014 at 4:15 PM
    aficianado

aficianado Well-Known Member

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab. 4x4, TRD-OR + 2023 TRD off-road.
    back to bone stock.
    some advice?

call your credit card company to let them know you are over there. they will more than likely freeze your account, if they see a charge..thinking it was stolen.

and i like to email myself all my info.

1-800 numbers for my credit cards
    US consulate numbers
    my passport number.
    etc.

if anything happens, you can at least have someone to talk to..just in case. internet cafes are everywhere.

10. Apr 11, 2014 at 3:25 PM
    14TACO4X4

14TACO4X4 Mmmmm... Beer

Member:
    First Name:
    Shawn
    Temecula
    Vehicle:
    18 RAM EcoDiesel
    Laramie
    I've been to Phuket twice and Pattaya twice. I looooove Thailand. Lots of things to do, tours and trips and such.

To Top