1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

That was strange, has anyone else experienced this.

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Taco.Tim, Jul 20, 2010.

1. Jul 20, 2010 at 6:41 PM
    Taco.Tim

Taco.Tim [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2010 Buhlue Access Cab 2WD
    Looking!
    We have owned our 2010 AC 4-banger/automatic Tacoma since December 2009, and like it a lot. In fact, it became my wife's truck after the test drive. Oh well.

Anyway, she was driving it in Fort Walton Beach with me as a passenger on Sunday, July 18, after we helped our son move down there for his job. Temperature was hot, mid 90s, and she was going to go turn on the road going to the Publix right off of Miracle Strip road. Traffic was very busy, so she eased up on the brake to let the truck roll into the intersection, so we could turn after the yellow came on. As soon as she eased up on the pedal the truck rolled, and then started pulling, much to hers and my surprise. She immediately stomped on the brake pedal, and after about a second or maybe two, we heard and felt what we think was the pads chattering on the rotor as it stopped. It almost sounded like the ABS kicked in, but we are not sure. It sure grabbed our attention, as the acceleration was noticeable. It did not go wide open throttle or anything like that, it just pulled for a couple of seconds. The truck had 5600 miles on it at that point. She drives with her left foot on the deadpedal, and our factory floormats are still in the hooks, nowhere near the accelerator pedal.

Has anyone else experienced this? It is the only time that has happened to us.

Thanks,

Tim Glover

2. Jul 20, 2010 at 6:55 PM
    Taco.Tim

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    Looking!
    It is definitely going there. Just got it back from Florida. From what I gather, there does not seem to be a clear solution. I was wondering if they put something in the computer already like a brake-override system.

Tim

3. Jul 20, 2010 at 8:00 PM
    gavonder

gavonder She's Kickass!

Member:
    Bethel, Ct
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Sport Access Cab
    Sunroof, Leer Cap w/ Thule rack, Factory Running Boards, Fog Light Mod, Hood Struts, Scangauge, w/homemade mirror mount, AC/Defrost mod, Rear Spring TSB, TRD Center Caps
    If you had the AC on, it could have been the clutch kicking in. It makes the truck "feel" like it accelerates a little.

GA

4. Jul 20, 2010 at 10:50 PM
    NiKo

NiKo Member

Member:
    Vancouver, BC
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    WeatherTech Floor Mats, Extra D-Rings.
    Mine does that with the AC on. Surprised me the first time it did it and guess I was a little light on the brake pedal.

Take it for a drive Tim and put the AC on. Might be the same thing.

5. Jul 20, 2010 at 11:25 PM
    Cars0n`

Cars0n` Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Carson
    Edmonton AB
    Vehicle:
    07 2wd access cab base.
    Kenwood DDX-512 Deck, Boston Acoustics G5 Sub in Ported Bassworx Box, Kenwood eXcelon KAC-X10D Amp, Sirius Satellite Radio, Magellan GPS, DDM 55w bi-xenon headlights, 2 HID Hella 500ff's mounted behind grill, 4 pc ebay Billet grill, Fog Lights (my truck didnt have them stock), Pioneer Speakers 6x9's(front) 6.5's(rear) AFE Cold Air Intake, Hose Clamp Mod, Tailgate Strengthen Mod, Removed Gay Mud Flaps, De-Badged, BHLM, 245/45/20 on velocity wheels. VW865a, Extra D Rings In Box, OEM Cruise Added Optima Red Top Battery
    yeah that ac thing happens to me as well, but its nothing drastic. the engine kicks up a couple hundred rpm's from idle and its just enough to move the wheels slowly, when at idle i was just over the threshold for remaining stopped

6. Jul 20, 2010 at 11:29 PM
    YeahYeah

YeahYeah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Thomas
    (My Home - Murrieta, CA) Now, Alexandria, VA
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Pre-Runner
    mud flaps gone, second air-filter gone, DTRL, fog light whenever and work with hi-beams, cut exhaust (was wicked flow), flat black stock rims, ABS switch, cup holder led's (with switch), turning signal mod #45, Bilstien 5100's, grill mesh
    ya, i have the v6 and when the AC kicks in, OH HELL, ya better hang on! na, its not that bad but my car does lung forward about 3".

7. Jul 21, 2010 at 3:13 AM
    Taco.Tim

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    Looking!

Thank you everyone! That makes a lot of sense now, as we were definitely running the air conditioning and it could have kicked the compressor in just as she eased up on the brake pedal. The other possibility will always exist, although I do not think it was the case here, is that without thinking about it, she could have been lightly resting one foot near the accelerator, and the other on the brake, as she footbrake raced a 400hp '67 Camaro for ten years at Atlanta Dragway. I drove the truck home Sunday, and took it to work Monday and Tuesday. When I picked her up from the train station Wednesday after she flew home, I watched more closely how she used her feet before typing this request and telling her why I was observing. I do know that the accelerator pedal/floormat deal was definitely not even close to being a contributor. There is plenty of clearance, and the factory carpet floormats are still hooked and have not budged since the day we bought it. It did startle both of us, but was also over just about as soon as it started, which was not the issue the media made a big fuss about.

Tim Glover

8. Jul 21, 2010 at 7:39 AM
    FL Forester

FL Forester Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Tallahassee, FL
    Vehicle:
    2014 MGM Double Cab
    None yet
    The chattering she felt when stomping on the brakes was the ABS kicking in. I really wish there was a way to turn it off when I am driving in the woods. There are times i feel like I won't stop or slow down quick enough because the ABS is not letting the tires dig into the sand.

I have been known to be a little lazy when moving my foot over to the brake and still had part of it on the gas before.

9. Jul 21, 2010 at 11:42 AM
    YeahYeah

YeahYeah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Thomas
    (My Home - Murrieta, CA) Now, Alexandria, VA
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Pre-Runner
    mud flaps gone, second air-filter gone, DTRL, fog light whenever and work with hi-beams, cut exhaust (was wicked flow), flat black stock rims, ABS switch, cup holder led's (with switch), turning signal mod #45, Bilstien 5100's, grill mesh
    Oh but there is my friend. Did it to mine and works like a charm! Did two of my friends trucks too. IF you need help let me know and ill walk you through it. Really easy.

To Top