1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

The 2.7L Single Cab Thread

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by BabyTaco, Jan 7, 2012.

1. Jul 6, 2012 at 5:21 PM
    0uTkAsT

0uTkAsT Gun Toting Gearhead

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    '06 5-Speed 4X4 Base
    Avid custom front & rear bumpers, Avid sliders & skid plates, Avid light bar, six 6.5" 100W off road lights, Eibach coils, Bilstein 5100s front & rear, Deaver AAL, MB 72B 16x8.5" wheels, 33" Hankook Dynapro AT-Ms, aFe dry filter, intake baffle & charcoal filter deleted, MagnaPack 18" muffler & exhaust bend delete, bedside & tailgate vinyls, carpeted bed, 25% tint, painted grille, mudflap delete, Supertop camper, black headlights & tail lights, breather mod, smoked 3rd brake light, recovery gear, mounted shovel, axe, extinguisher, Hi-Lift in Quickfist clamps / XRAC, sway bar delete, debadged tailgate, custom gun rack, bullet antenna, Kenwood double DIN nav, Scosche dash, JBL door speakers, aluminum pedals & shift knob
    That's what they'd like you to think, but the intake doesn't draw air from the hole unless the intake itself is sealed to it. Think of the hole as more of a "vent" at that point than an induction point. The real purpose of the heat shield is to reflect the hottest air from the exhaust manifold/header back away from the filter.

2. Jul 6, 2012 at 5:23 PM
    0uTkAsT

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    '06 5-Speed 4X4 Base
    Avid custom front & rear bumpers, Avid sliders & skid plates, Avid light bar, six 6.5" 100W off road lights, Eibach coils, Bilstein 5100s front & rear, Deaver AAL, MB 72B 16x8.5" wheels, 33" Hankook Dynapro AT-Ms, aFe dry filter, intake baffle & charcoal filter deleted, MagnaPack 18" muffler & exhaust bend delete, bedside & tailgate vinyls, carpeted bed, 25% tint, painted grille, mudflap delete, Supertop camper, black headlights & tail lights, breather mod, smoked 3rd brake light, recovery gear, mounted shovel, axe, extinguisher, Hi-Lift in Quickfist clamps / XRAC, sway bar delete, debadged tailgate, custom gun rack, bullet antenna, Kenwood double DIN nav, Scosche dash, JBL door speakers, aluminum pedals & shift knob
    That's true, but the fender well is still the coolest place to draw air from without altering the body of the truck for a ram air induction type of device.

3. Jul 6, 2012 at 5:24 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    :eek: :eek:

Last weekend in Vegas for the daughter's wedding, OATs were around 105 and my IAT never went above 110 unless we were sitting in heavy traffic.

4. Jul 6, 2012 at 5:31 PM
    0uTkAsT

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    '06 5-Speed 4X4 Base
    A snorkel would be best, because the hoods on our trucks are in a low pressure zone so you wouldn't get a "ram air" effect from an intake that draws from it. You would get the cooler air still, but if you were going to the cost and effort of something like that it would still be better spent on a snorkel positioned near the roof in a high pressure zone.

5. Jul 6, 2012 at 5:41 PM
    0uTkAsT

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    '06 5-Speed 4X4 Base
    Yeah probably something like that, with the added benefit of keeping your intake high and dry crossing water and staying up out of dust on trail runs :D

6. Jul 6, 2012 at 5:51 PM
    2004tacoprerunner

2004tacoprerunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    byron, mn
    Vehicle:
    2004tacoprerunner
    It was in heavy traffic with those temps. Once I got moving it was about 10 above the outside air. The engine felt happier when it was "cool"

7. Jul 6, 2012 at 5:58 PM
    0uTkAsT

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    '06 5-Speed 4X4 Base
    Meh I'm never selling my truck but if you're really wheeling you'll eventually get body damage anyways so it doesn't matter too much to me either way haha

8. Jul 6, 2012 at 6:14 PM
    0uTkAsT

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    '06 5-Speed 4X4 Base
    Sounds like the clutch. My clutch slips but not that bad, mine doesn't drop in RPMs really but it feels almost like a "hesitation" when you step back on the gas, like there's a dead spot for a second and then it catches. I know for a fact my clutch is shot but I'm too broke to upgrade it just yet.

9. Jul 6, 2012 at 6:24 PM
    0uTkAsT

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    '06 5-Speed 4X4 Base
    Hell yeah if you're under warranty I'd at least try. Toyota screwed me on my warranty but that's a long story...

10. Jul 6, 2012 at 7:19 PM
    0uTkAsT

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    '06 5-Speed 4X4 Base
    No, I bought it from a private party who had an extended warranty through Toyota on it because he bought it Certified Used. Toyota says "yeah no problem send us $50 and we'll transfer the warranty to you" so I do that. 6 weeks later I haven't heard anything so I assume it's all just taken care of. I had some ball joints that were shot so I took it in to have them replaced and they told me the warranty wasn't under my name so they wouldn't honor it. I told them the story and they either didn't believe me or didn't care. I tried contacting the previous owner through emails, phone calls, and texts because he told me "if you ever need anything just call!!" and he never got back to me. So not only did I get hosed out of $50 but the three years worth of warranty left on my rig is only usable by the previous owner who could care less now because my money is in his pocket.

11. Jul 6, 2012 at 7:26 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Factory warranty is valid for the normal term for any owner.

Extended warranties are not "warranties"... they are service contracts and may or may not be transferable, but they are not automatically transferred at sale even if they are transferable.

12. Jul 6, 2012 at 7:31 PM
    0uTkAsT

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    '06 5-Speed 4X4 Base
    Mine was a "warranty" straight from Toyota for being purchased Certified Used, not a no-name service contract with a specific dealership, and it is supposedly fully transferable. They just decided to screw me, much like Toyota Financial almost did but again that's a long story. http://www.toyotacertified.com/warranty.html

13. Jul 6, 2012 at 7:51 PM
    0uTkAsT

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    '06 5-Speed 4X4 Base
    It was all over this truck lol, this is my first and only Toyota. The whole Toyota Financial thing could've gone MUCH worse than it did but luckily the guy I bought the truck from wasn't a scammer. Long story short - I paid cash and submitted the proper forms to Toyota Financial (along with all the notarized paperwork and everything) to release the lein. They were supposed to release the title to me and send it to me by mail. Well two weeks later, I get a phone call from the owner saying he got some paperwork for me from Toyota. Yeah, they released the lein and signed the title over to the PREVIOUS owner! So essentially I would've paid $13,000 cash to pay off his loan for him. If he wanted to be shady about it, I would've been totally screwed, all because freaking Toyota can't get their shit together.

14. Jul 6, 2012 at 7:55 PM
    0uTkAsT

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    '06 5-Speed 4X4 Base
    I don't know man, everything was submitted exactly how I was told to submit it along with all of their notarized forms and bill of sale from the State. The check I sent them was in my name and everything so I don't know how the hell they managed to mess something up like that.

15. Jul 6, 2012 at 8:02 PM
    0uTkAsT

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    '06 5-Speed 4X4 Base
    Probably my last Toyota for a loooong time lol, but not because of that stuff... I think my truck will last me for a couple hundred thousand more miles, and the next vehicle I'll be buying is a car. Since Toyota hasn't made a car that has interested me for at least six years, I'll probably be getting either another Mazda or a Subaru.

16. Jul 6, 2012 at 8:29 PM
    0uTkAsT

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    '06 5-Speed 4X4 Base
    Yeah they're ok looking, but I'm not too excited about them given the price point. I'm pretty sure if I get another 2-door it will be another MX-5 (I've had two in the past), and if I need a 4-door it will be a WRX. Just depends on what I need at the time.

17. Jul 6, 2012 at 8:39 PM
    bolland83

bolland83 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gaelen
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    04 Reg Cab 4X4
    Bilstien 5100 lifted struts, rear lift shackle, Pro Comp 16" rims, 265-75 tires, Kc light bar, Hella spotlights, Rock slider bars, Intake and Exhaust
    Here's mine, not anywhere near pavement... :D

526.jpg

18. Jul 6, 2012 at 8:45 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    US customers are protected under Magnusson-Moss:

1 - Manufacturer can not require dealer service or use of OEM parts as a condition of maintaining the factory warranty, UNLESS said parts and labor are furnished at no charge.
    Manufacturer may require that warranty service be performed by a specific party and may not be required to pay for warranty service provided by an unauthorized party.

2 - Manufacturer may not void the warranty wholesale due to the installation or use of aftermarket parts by the customer or a person that they hire, unless the manufacturer can prove that the 3rd-party parts and/or labor were the proximate cause of the failure.

3 - In any event, warranty can not be voided on unrelated systems.
    The manufacturer can not refuse to honor a failure of the transmission because the owner has a K&N air filter.

4 - Manufacturer can not be held liable for warranty coverage on aftermarket parts and accessories.

NONE OF THE ABOVE APPLIES TO EXTENDED WARRANTIES OR SERVICE CONTRACTS.

If it is in the name of the previous owner, it is not a factory warranty.
    They might call it a warranty, but it's not. It's basically an "extended warranty" which SHOULD be referred to "service contracts"
    The factory warranty, and any dealer warranty on a used vehicle, is tied to the VIN and does not require any paper transfer to a new owner.

Ya... you were mislead and screwed. The extended warranties are generally transferable and that was not done.

19. Jul 6, 2012 at 9:12 PM
    0uTkAsT

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    '06 5-Speed 4X4 Base
    Nice! Whereabouts are you in AZ?

20. Jul 6, 2012 at 10:22 PM
    bolland83

bolland83 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gaelen
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    04 Reg Cab 4X4
    Bilstien 5100 lifted struts, rear lift shackle, Pro Comp 16" rims, 265-75 tires, Kc light bar, Hella spotlights, Rock slider bars, Intake and Exhaust
    East L.A. Arizona, A.K.A. Buckeye :D Far west side buddy.

To Top