1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

The 40-50 midlife crisis breakdown thread.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Matic, Jun 18, 2011.

1. Feb 12, 2018 at 9:22 PM
    DoorDing

DoorDing I had to return some videotapes.

Member:
    Haleakalā
    Vehicle:
    Subaru Baja Turbo
    yes
    I had to be careful driving my Civic Si in the summer. Between the summer tires and LSD, it cornered too well compared to regular traffic.

I look for a compromise between rain performance and tire wear when I shop for summer tires for the Prius and now-dead Fit. I'll always run studless winter tires, so I don't care about snow & ice performance for the summer set.

wdb and VE7OSR like this.
  2. Feb 12, 2018 at 9:28 PM
    medic2230

medic2230 Ditch Doctor

Member:
    First Name:
    Murph
    Bama! Roll Tide
    Vehicle:
    2011 Taco 4x4 DCLB
    20% Tint, OME 3"complete lift with Dakar's, Light Racing UCA's, 285/75/16 Nitto Terra Grapplers, 10 HP TW sticker, Ultraguage, B.A.M.F. Rock Sliders, MedicFab Bed Rack, Relentless front bumper
    I run those I work in the south tires. Good for all seasons. :cool:

3. Feb 13, 2018 at 4:43 AM
    TenBeers

TenBeers Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Pro Cavalry Blue
    CVT Mt. Bachelor on a home-built bed rack.
    I would never drive on LSD.

I am with Murph, never owned a set of winter tires. I do look for the snowflake when purchasing new truck tires just in case, but owning a whole other set of wheels and tires sounds like a pain. I guess if you need them, it's the best way to go.

wdb, HomerTaco and medic2230 like this.
  4. Feb 13, 2018 at 5:49 AM
    DoorDing

Member:
    Haleakalā
    Vehicle:
    Subaru Baja Turbo
    yes
    If you need 'em, they endow your car with super powers. I have to try to get a tire to spin in the slop.

Short of high centered, I couldn't get the Fit stuck on icy, snow packed roads. I stick with good AT tires on my truck, but our little FWD cars always drive better when it gets slick in the winter. If you Southerners ever move to snow country, try a set. You won't be disappointed.

HomerTaco, VE7OSR and G.T. like this.
  5. Feb 13, 2018 at 6:08 AM
    krap22

krap22 Well-Known Member

Member:
    I'll have the tacoma for winter, so summer tires would be a necessity.

6. Feb 13, 2018 at 6:51 AM
    VE7OSR

VE7OSR 'interfering with Natural Selection since 1990'

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob II
    Okanagan, Canada
    Vehicle:
    05 DCLB TRD Sport
    Armour: All-Pro Skid plates - IFS, transmission, and transfer case. Pelfreybilt rear standard plate bumper Front Suspension: OME 885 + NitroCharger 9000 shocks + 1/2" spacers for a 3" lift. Superbumps replacing stock bumpstops. Camburg ball joint UCA SS braid brake lines Rear Suspension: All-Pro Expedition rear leafs, Walker Evans 27" rear shocks, extended rear brake lines (Wheelers Offroad), U -bolt flip kit, rear Timbren bumpstops. Interior: Weatherteck floor liners - front, Wet Okoles- front, ScanGauge, LED interior & map lights. Power moonroof. Exterior: Raider Cobra canopy, PIAA bulbs, LED bulbs all around, modified flasher unit for LEDs Rear diff breather mod. Front diff vibe problem, driver's side needle bearing replaced with ECGS bushing. yet to install: HID Blazer Fog Retrofit, LED Flood & Spot, + switches, fuse panel. Metal Tech Sliders w/ kickout and dimple die filler plates. swaybar relocate blocks (build my own)
    I run dedicated winter tires on their own wheels 6 months of the year (mid Oct. to mid April) on the Taco, and a set of ATs the rest of the year; because Daily driver, and I deal with mountain passes any which direction I want to go. Change them up at home, mark them with chalk for the rotation position they are to be put on next season. Only real cost is the extra set of wheels.

wdb and HomerTaco like this.
  7. Feb 13, 2018 at 6:59 AM
    Pchop

Pchop Beavis Killer

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob I
    South FL
    Vehicle:
    '09 Tacoma TRD
  8. Feb 13, 2018 at 7:05 AM
    Johnnymoto

Johnnymoto Enjoy every minute, is one less you got left.

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnny
    Caribbean, where Jack Sparrow was left stranded.
    Vehicle:
    2018 4x4 6spd manual V6
    Not yet, too new...
    I love simple but powerful statements, just like yours !!!! You remind me of that old joke where the grumpy guy says " I will just throw a ____ in the middle and watch them fight to the death". Not because of what you stated, but just what it reminded me.

9. Feb 13, 2018 at 7:07 AM
    Pchop

Pchop Beavis Killer

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob I
    South FL
    Vehicle:
    '09 Tacoma TRD
  10. Feb 13, 2018 at 7:08 AM
    VE7OSR

VE7OSR 'interfering with Natural Selection since 1990'

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob II
    Okanagan, Canada
    Vehicle:
    05 DCLB TRD Sport
    Armour: All-Pro Skid plates - IFS, transmission, and transfer case. Pelfreybilt rear standard plate bumper Front Suspension: OME 885 + NitroCharger 9000 shocks + 1/2" spacers for a 3" lift. Superbumps replacing stock bumpstops. Camburg ball joint UCA SS braid brake lines Rear Suspension: All-Pro Expedition rear leafs, Walker Evans 27" rear shocks, extended rear brake lines (Wheelers Offroad), U -bolt flip kit, rear Timbren bumpstops. Interior: Weatherteck floor liners - front, Wet Okoles- front, ScanGauge, LED interior & map lights. Power moonroof. Exterior: Raider Cobra canopy, PIAA bulbs, LED bulbs all around, modified flasher unit for LEDs Rear diff breather mod. Front diff vibe problem, driver's side needle bearing replaced with ECGS bushing. yet to install: HID Blazer Fog Retrofit, LED Flood & Spot, + switches, fuse panel. Metal Tech Sliders w/ kickout and dimple die filler plates. swaybar relocate blocks (build my own)
    Ummm how is that a crisis? Just smile, wave and carry on. They’ll learn soon enough or maybe not, but at my age I could care less what ‘they’ perceive of me.

DoorDing likes this.
  11. Feb 13, 2018 at 7:28 AM
    krap22

krap22 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oops, might have taken it a little too far. Filled up the taco and put 20.5 gallons in. Pretty sure it's a 21 gallon tank. :eek:

wdb likes this.
  12. Feb 13, 2018 at 7:45 AM
    RearViewMirror

RearViewMirror Saw things so much clearer once you... were in my

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB 4X4 TRD Off Road *Sold*
    Shit I need to put fuel in the Camry. Fuel light came on yesterday. Just noticed that I bought the car just a little over a year ago and it's just rolled over 6000 miles.

Johnnymoto likes this.
  13. Feb 13, 2018 at 7:48 AM
    Pchop

Pchop Beavis Killer

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob I
    South FL
    Vehicle:
    '09 Tacoma TRD
    Ha, I put 42k on mine in a year and a half!

14. Feb 13, 2018 at 7:51 AM
    RearViewMirror

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    Yeah, I've filled up before :rolleyes:.

Considering I only fill up once a month or so I just don't pay attention. My wife's car is over 1.5 yrs old and just rolled over 8k. One thing about it, my daughter is going to have a low mileage car when I give it to her.

HomerTaco likes this.
  15. Feb 13, 2018 at 8:09 AM
    RearViewMirror

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    I just don't drive anywhere anymore. Everything we need is within a few miles of the house. I wouldn't have nearly 6k miles on it now if it weren't for driving to Memphis last year and to work and back for half the year before I retired. Now that I've retired it may get driven 3-4 times a week. We're going back to Memphis next month to fly to DC but other than that I doubt it will have 10k miles on it this time next year.

16. Feb 13, 2018 at 9:09 AM
    DoorDing

Member:
    Haleakalā
    Vehicle:
    Subaru Baja Turbo
    yes
    Sounds like a conversation I had last night with an inexperienced person that was struggling. I offered a brief word of advice, it wasn't well received ... and I don't care. :)

wilcam47 likes this.
  17. Feb 13, 2018 at 9:16 AM
    krap22

krap22 Well-Known Member

Member:
    how dare you try to tell someone how to succeed. They can figure it out on their own! lol

VE7OSR, wilcam47 and DoorDing like this.
  18. Feb 13, 2018 at 9:20 AM
    DoorDing

Member:
    Haleakalā
    Vehicle:
    Subaru Baja Turbo
    yes
    It was funny more than anything. I suggested that she try a few different mouthpieces for her horn, since she's inexperienced playing it, and the one she was using wasn't a very good option. "This one works great for me!"

Um ... it doesn't sound that way, but ok, kid.

19. Feb 13, 2018 at 10:45 AM
    HomerTaco

HomerTaco All up in your GRILL Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Bucks County Pa.
    Vehicle:
    four sticks, dual cases, zero fucks...
    Core-Hurst short throw shifter & T-handle / Carbon Fiber Interior / custom console light / De-badged / leather interior / Heated Front seats / Red Line Hood Struts / Painted speaker grills /one-off TRD Satoshi Grill with 12-15 front-end swap/ Pioneer AVIC-X920BT HU / Scangauge II / Black LED Tails / Dash Mount for iPad mini / Safari Snorkel / Auto-pilot mode / Leer 100XQ Cap / 4x Innovations sliders / Rear Diff Breather Mod / front windows tinted to 35% / Brute Force Fab Hybrid Front Bumper / BAMF Rear Diff Skid / Budbuilt Skids / CBI Trail Master 2.0 rear hybrid bumper / Fox rr coils/ TC UCA's/ TC spindle gussets/ TC Cam Tab gussets / Dakar leafs / Defined Engineering shackles / All pro U bolt flip / Timbren Rear Bumpstops / BAMF LCA skids / Exhaust re-route / Fog Light anytime Mod / LowRange Off Road extended rear brake lines / ATO Shackle Flip / sectioned Bushwhacker flares / re-geared to 4.56 / ARB Front & Rear Locking Diff / ARB CKMA12 compressor / PrInSu full rack system / 1" body lift / Inchworm 4.7 crawlbox / twin stick FJ t-case / Davez off-road triple-stick kit/
    Not proud of it but I have. Lucky to still be breathing. :facepalm:
    True - the tC was fine in the snow but the FRS not so much. Like @krap22 I use the taco when it's too shitty out. :D

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018 at 2:04 PM
    sandjunkie and RearViewMirror like this.
  20. Feb 13, 2018 at 10:46 AM
    RearViewMirror

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    I stay inside. Fuck all those other idiots on the road.

Products Discussed in

To Top