1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

The "40+" "Old Timers Thread.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Matic, Jun 18, 2011.

1. May 16, 2013 at 3:15 PM
    DoorDing

DoorDing Someone was there .

Member:
    bee keeper
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB Off-Road 4WD
  2. May 16, 2013 at 3:19 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T Did you get your precious photos ?

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    I voted Green this time in the Provincial election and voted Green in the last Federal election , and in the riding where I live we elected the first Green Party candidate in Canada

3. May 16, 2013 at 3:30 PM
    DoorDing

Member:
    bee keeper
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB Off-Road 4WD
    "In the B.C. legislature, the election also brought in a new anti-pipeline, anti-tanker voice: the province's first Green Party member of the legislative assembly, climate scientist Andrew Weaver — a fierce critic of oil-based economies."

Is Weaver a fierce, pragmatic critic? Point being, if all someone does is scream NO! because Oil is Bad (or Whatever is Bad), they aren't solving anything. I firmly believe that migrating away from an oil-based economy is a worthy goal, but I know that viable alternatives need to be developed for that to happen. In the U.S., that critical step is often overlooked by some liberals/greens/environmentalists, and they lose credibility for that reason.

BTW, I'm interested in what's going on with the pipeline and I want to hear it from you. I'm not interested in debating anything about it.

4. May 16, 2013 at 3:35 PM
    DoorDing

Member:
    bee keeper
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB Off-Road 4WD
    Last edited: May 16, 2013
  5. May 16, 2013 at 7:21 PM
    Hardscrabble

Hardscrabble Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    McDonough, GA
    Vehicle:
    Timberland Mica 4X4
    Leather seats, WeatherTech's, Access LiteRider tonneau cover, extra D-rings in bed & tailgate. Pelley lightbar with Hella 700FF's. Temp./compass O/H console.
    Nice! :thumbsup:

6. May 16, 2013 at 7:58 PM
    DoorDing

Member:
    bee keeper
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB Off-Road 4WD
    Thanks. I'm not very concerned about appearances, but the DuraTracs do improve the look of the truck. I haven't driven on them with a load or offroad, but they feel better than the OEM Rugged Trails. Shocker, I know.

7. May 16, 2013 at 8:04 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Weaver is a climate scientist who believes that global climate change and man's contribution to that is real and is opposed to the pipelines because of their enviornmental risk to our coastline from increasing tanker traffic on the south coast and in order to allow the Northern Gateway pipeline to go ahead , BC would have to lift a moratorium on tanker traffic on the Northern coast of BC

I agree with both these positions

Weaver does not represent the riding I live in though , our riding elected an NDP candidate

8. May 16, 2013 at 8:15 PM
    DoorDing

Member:
    bee keeper
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB Off-Road 4WD
    That sounds reasonable. I'm sure the moratorium was put in place for good reason. If there's to be a pipeline, the petitioning companies need to demonstrate how they'll address the concerns that led to the moratorium. The Greens should also make a good faith effort to offer alternate ways the resource could be utilized safely, or realistic ways to move Canada away from an oil economy. In the U.S., those discussions typically get bogged down in ideology and unrealistic plans on both sides of an environmental issue. I hope Canadians have better luck working it out.

9. May 16, 2013 at 8:17 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    The moratorium was put into place in the 1970's because the waterways in the inner passage of the North Coast is just too treacherous

10. May 16, 2013 at 8:32 PM
    DoorDing

Member:
    bee keeper
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB Off-Road 4WD
    Sounds to me like the Oil Folks need to figure that out or scrap the project. Building a terminal completely off the coast seems like the obvious answer, but that won't be cheap. It would also probably be subject to some hellacious weather.

You added a little earlier about the climate change debate. I think the issue is largely irrelevant because what people believe to be true doesn't matter. Earth will continue on with or without us. Humans should put serious effort into minimizing the damage we do to our planet, and migrating away from fossil fuels is the smart move.

I don't particularly like nuclear power as it stands, but it's the single best energy source we have right now. None of the alternative, clean power schemes come close to competing with fission, yet. Until fusion is mastered (or something else), I'd like to see all of the ideological BS get shoved aside for a worldwide effort to design & build modern, reliable, fission plants. Pair that with improvements in other critical areas (batteries, transportation, power grids), and humans could put a huge dent in our output of pollution, and be on the right track for a low emission, electric economy based on fusion, wind, geothermal, photovoltaic, concentrated solar power, etc.

11. May 16, 2013 at 8:33 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    You couldn't build a port out there

12. May 16, 2013 at 8:42 PM
    DoorDing

Member:
    bee keeper
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB Off-Road 4WD
  13. May 16, 2013 at 8:46 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Shallow , and totally exposed

That's why the port at Kitimat is way up inside the channel

Besides , Endbridge just wants to build a pipe , they don't want to build a whole new harbour , town and access to it , plus that would also stir up shit with the First Nation who's traditional lands all that infrastructure would have the cross and be built on

Your two examples are drilling platforms , the freighters will be docking at a port in Kitimat for loading of the bitumen

14. May 16, 2013 at 8:59 PM
    DoorDing

Member:
    bee keeper
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB Off-Road 4WD
    I don't know what you're worried about. David Black has it all figured out.

I believe pipelines have been extended off-coast to allow tanker access (Gulf of Mexico?), but those situations probably don't have to deal with the weather seen on Canada's West Coast. It could probably be pulled off, but the price might be too high.

As this is being hashed out, has the plan been modified to address environmental concerns, or has there been little cooperation?

15. May 16, 2013 at 9:05 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    What I was thinking.

We've got offshore terminals, but they're only out at anchorage depth, still on the continental shelf.
    You haven't got a shelf up there... no where to go but in-shore.

And even at that, those pipelines to the terminals DO leak.

16. May 16, 2013 at 9:07 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    That proposal is to build a refinery at Kitimat and export refined fuels , Enbridge's proposal is just to ship raw bitumen to Kitimat , and sell it in it's raw form to China

The proposal is under review right now but that whole exercise is a joke because the Feds essentially gutted the enviornmental assesment process and put a deadline on assesments to ensure they are streamlined ( ie fast-tracked )

http://www.cela.ca/newsevents/media...govt-intent-weaken-canadas-environmental-laws

17. May 16, 2013 at 9:08 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    196 miles off of Newfoundland and it's less than 300ft deep?

I know guys who have gone 3 miles back into a cave and exceeded 400ft on Scuba!

18. May 16, 2013 at 9:09 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Big shelf out there

19. May 16, 2013 at 9:18 PM
    DoorDing

Member:
    bee keeper
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB Off-Road 4WD
    If you ever get a chance, watch the documentaries on the construction of Hibernia and Troll - I think they're both Discovery productions. Incredible projects.

Pete, that's what I was afraid of. When someone starts waving enough cash and jobs in everyone's faces, they usually get their way.

20. May 16, 2013 at 9:24 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Our Prime Minister is intent on expanding Canada's oil exports into more diversified markets , which I can understand , unfortunately with a majority government , they are basically just rewriting the laws as they see fit to get their pet projects approved

He's actually in NYC today trying to tell Americans why they need to approve the Keystone XL pipeline to the Gulf States

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/story/2013/05/16/pol-harper-new-york.html

Products Discussed in this Thread

To Top