1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

The Audiophile's BS Thread

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by brian, Oct 8, 2012.

1. Oct 15, 2012 at 9:41 PM
    6spd

6spd Well-Known Member

Member:
    san diego
    Vehicle:
    2023 4x4
    very nice! I would like to have something replace my martin logan vistas in the far future, if you are still building front speakers.

is that a bass trap/room treatment on the corner?

2. Oct 16, 2012 at 7:43 PM
    ItalynStylion

ItalynStylion Sounds Gooooood

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab TRD Sport 4x4
    The chances that I lose interest in audio is slim. So I'll be building for quite some time.

That in the corner is hardly a complete bass trap. It's just a piece of foam honestly. But the bass traps are coming....I promise :D

3. Oct 16, 2012 at 8:41 PM
    6spd

6spd Well-Known Member

Member:
    san diego
    Vehicle:
    2023 4x4
    well, I'm digging these monstrosities here. I need something that can put out some spl's

4. Oct 17, 2012 at 2:13 AM
    Warhorseforever

Warhorseforever Will The Thrill

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Sand Lapper
    Vehicle:
    2001 Toyota Tacoma Pre-Runner SR5
    Kenwood KDC-348U HU Kicker DS65 Front Doors Only 2 Polk Audio MM840 Kenwood KAC 8105D for subs SuperCrewSound.com behind rear seat sub box
    Here check this site out they have a pretty decent selection of music. At this time this is the only album worth keeping in loss less format with the way I have my truck set up. Soon though it'll be me, a 250GB SSD full of loss less format music, and a kick ass radio.

5. Oct 17, 2012 at 12:04 PM
    ItalynStylion

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    Hell yeah

6. Oct 17, 2012 at 2:58 PM
    shaneckc

shaneckc Fyntünd Designs Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Shane
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR Package DCLB 4x4
    Bahahahah! Best emote ever. I haven't seen that one on here until now.

7. Oct 17, 2012 at 6:31 PM
    Warhorseforever

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Sand Lapper
    Vehicle:
    Kenwood KDC-348U HU Kicker DS65 Front Doors Only 2 Polk Audio MM840 Kenwood KAC 8105D for subs SuperCrewSound.com behind rear seat sub box
    You know it! It was a big reason I got the Kenwood over the Pioneer 80PRS because there are a couple of guy's that run the SSD's on that Kenwood on DIYMA. Only down side is that it takes a minute or so to load but it does that with bluetooth, while establishing the connection, anyway so I don't really care about the wait.
    Me either, I love it.

8. Oct 17, 2012 at 9:17 PM
    ItalynStylion

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    Let me put it this way. These things are capable to the point that you'll never want to be in the room with them at full tilt. We measured over 120db sustained volume with less than 1% distortion across the board. And there was plenty left in them!

9. Oct 17, 2012 at 10:23 PM
    6spd

6spd Well-Known Member

Member:
    san diego
    Vehicle:
    2023 4x4
    that is what I am talking about. scary SPL. I've done 134db in my truck, but I can not imagine 120db from those two fronts in a more open space. :D

I will definitely keep you in mind when it is time for me to upgrade my home stuff. I support the little guys

10. Oct 18, 2012 at 4:00 AM
    sofiasdad11

sofiasdad11 Reads more than posts

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Near the Windy City, but in the country
    Vehicle:
    2011 BLACK 4X4 DCLB TRD SPORT
    Flux capacitor (2nd gen version), toytec ultimate liftkit, amp research powersteps, custom katzkin heated leather incl. console cover, retraxpro retractable bed cover, earnhardt jr. cannons@18x9(summer),ballistic jesters@18x9 (winter),285/60/18 nitto grapplers, bodymatched bushwackers, the original Homertaco full satoshi " raptor" grill, viper 5704 remote/smart-start/alarm w/viper cellulor app, ravelco anti-theft device, ipcw tails, redline hoodstruts, oem roof rack, led maps/dome, backup light mod, swingcase storage box, jl audio stealthbox and amps,focal drivers,alpine carplay unit, pop&lock premium handle, seatbelt chime disabled, tailgate hoseclamp mod, rich evans caliper covers, weathertech digitalfit mats, flyzeye V2W,oem bedmat, salex console organizer,speeddawg shiftknob
    finally bought this remastered "experience edition" cd set of pink floyd's "wish you were here", which had wanted for some time :D

file_3_1.jpg

11. Oct 18, 2012 at 5:22 AM
    ProForce

ProForce IG @proforce.expeditions OB#5411

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    SoCal - Fontana
    Vehicle:
    09 MGM TRD Sport DCSB 4.0 Auto 2wd
    Too many to list. See build page. Link in signature
    Dammit Brian! Why did you make this thread!?!?! Not sure how I missed it a few weeks ago, but honestly I wish I never found it :(

My system is fantastic and I am quite pleased, but I know it can be so much more! I have the money to upgrade, but I just don't want to spend the money on it, and now this thread makes we wanna spend lots of money :eek:

I'm sure you know already, but here is my current setup vs what I want.

Current:
    -Pioneer AVH-P8400BH source
    -Focal Polyglass P165V30 6.5" 2-way passive crossover components up front
    -Focal Polyglass 6x9 elliptical 2-way coaxial in rear doors
    -JL Slash 300/4v2 for door speakers
    -JL Slash 500/1v2 for the subs
    -JL Stealthbox for 05+ Double Cab loaded with two 10w1v2-4 wired to 2ohm
    - Full interior Dynamat Deadening
    - Individual 4awg wire for each amp with large ANL fuses
    - All speakers wired directly to amp

Future Setup:
    - Keep head unit, stealthbox and subs, deadening, wiring, and 500/1 sub amp. Only change will be my speaker setup.
    -Up front will be Focal 165 KR2 6.5 2-way component setup (maybe 3-way if I can find a clean place to install mid driver) actively crossed over with new amp
    - In back will be K2 6x9 2-way coaxial setup.
    - Speakers powered by either a JL 6 channel for active crossover or add an additional 2 channel for a total of 3 amps.

So far doesn't seem like much up an upgrade. Simply going from Polyglass to K2 series speakers, and doing active instead of passive setup. But here's the punch line....

I want to add an Alpine PXA-H800 processor to it :drool:

I've never heard one before and still not so convinced its worth $600-1000 including the controller for it, but 31 bands of EQ per channel vs my current 8 band graphic eq total, is one hell of a capability upgrade for fine tuning! Add the benefits of "road-EQ" with real time on-the-fly automatic adjustments for ambient noise, and time alignment options which I don't currently have... well, except for Pioneers lame version of TA which the call Sonic Center Control.

We shall see. Long story short, I had myself convinced that my current setup was perfectly acceptable and respectable, but now this thread got me itching again!!!

Thanks a lot jerk! ;)

12. Oct 18, 2012 at 5:32 AM
    ProForce

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    SoCal - Fontana
    Vehicle:

:eek: 120db for 2 hours straight will cause hearing damage. That's about as long as a CD soundtrack or a movie. 140db is about as loud as a gunshot, so 120 will more than satisfy your needs I'm sure!

Oh and btw, I know we got off on the wrong foot in the other thread last week about ported boxes.... we all have our opinions I guess. When it comes to installation, I can wire a vehicle up to do just about anything you can imagine, and I have a dam good ear for audio, but building boxes and fine tuning are not my strong suit. I dont know how to use a RTA, and db slopes still confuse me, but I understand frequency and more advanced tuning than most people do.

Its obvious you know your technical stuff and have more experience and knowledge about tuning than I do, and for that you got my respect. Since I'm sure there are very few TW members who can participate in this thread and actually keep up, hopefully we can have a fresh start and work together in here :)

And hopefully that didn't sound too homo :anonymous: haha

13. Oct 18, 2012 at 2:35 PM
    shaneckc

Member:
    First Name:
    Shane
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR Package DCLB 4x4
    I can't imagine why in the world you would want this audio processor as opposed to the Audison Bit One. From my experience in dealing with Alpines past "cutting edge" audio processors, I do not value them as a quality audio processor manufacturer, and I certainly wouldn't want to buy their first line of equipment with a ton of new and unproven technology. IMO, the Audison Bit series is the only way to go if you are looking for a quality audio processor.

Then again, the Audison Bit One doesn't advertise "True Dolby Digital 5.1-channel Surround Sound."
    [​IMG]

14. Oct 18, 2012 at 3:08 PM
    Aw9d

Aw9d That one guy

Member:
    :drool: that's amazing looking man.. Good work! I wish I could hear them.

15. Oct 18, 2012 at 3:45 PM
    ProForce

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    SoCal - Fontana
    Vehicle:
    Hmm :cool: will have to look into this so called Audison Bit One you speak of...

16. Oct 18, 2012 at 5:03 PM
    shaneckc

Member:
    First Name:
    Shane
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR Package DCLB 4x4
    If you haven't heard of it already, then you definitely need to see what it has to offer. It is within the same price range as the Alpine processor that you listed, but the Bit One is on a completely different level.

http://www.audison.eu/index.php?page=product&id=49

17. Oct 18, 2012 at 5:06 PM
    ItalynStylion

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    I own a bit one. It's under my passenger seat. I can vouch for it. I have mine simplified quite a bit. I run a single pair of RCA's from the headunit to the processor. Then I have it split it up into 5 channels of audio. Two for the tweeters, two for the mids, one sub channel.

18. Oct 18, 2012 at 5:38 PM
    HighTQCummins

HighTQCummins Instagram: stormtrooptaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Hank
    SE PA
    Vehicle:
    '12 SW DCSB Sport
    5% all around, derp'd wheels, FMS40, 30" E-Series, 55w 6k bi's, 35w 5k fogs
    Hopefully I don't get bashed over the head for this, but what are your guys opinions on the new RF360.3 vs the Audison BitOne. I've heard some decent things about both. not that im about to take hte plunge into either anytime soon, but im using the winter as my study time so I can figure out what exactly i'd like to get so that I can slowly piece together my set up

19. Oct 18, 2012 at 6:27 PM
    ItalynStylion

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    I've read the 360.3 is darn good. I've not heard one myself though. I do know that the 360.2 had noise issues and the bluetooth module would always end up dying. I think they've cleaned up the design quite a bit and now it has a TON of new features too.

20. Oct 18, 2012 at 6:49 PM
    Warhorseforever

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Sand Lapper
    Vehicle:
    When I watch thing's like SoundManCA on Youtube you always see them tuning, I'm assuming, the car with their laptop's playing pink noise at first then music. Any idea what they're programming/EQing/Doing? 90% of the build's they show on the show are active.

Products Discussed in

To Top